HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan

Old
01-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Broadway Brett

vCash: 500
Ryan Callahan

He's been tearing up the AHL. He wasn't known as a scorer in juniors, and he wasn't drafted as a scorer, either. He was drafted as a third-line grinder. I haven't seen him play next to the short stint he had in New York.

I want to know from those who have seen him, is his scoring prowess going to translate to the pro's? Can he be a 25-30 goal scorer in the NHL? Or is he just a guy that is going to just be an AHL star and have his offense fizzle out once he hits the pro's? I know he has more facets to his game than scoring, but I want to know if he can be a second-liner in the future, a guy who can put up 50-70 points and 20-30 goals a season. Or if he's going to be a very good thrid-liner, as expected.

Broadway Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Kessel View Post
He's been tearing up the AHL. He wasn't known as a scorer in juniors, and he wasn't drafted as a scorer, either. He was drafted as a third-line grinder. I haven't seen him play next to the short stint he had in New York.

I want to know from those who have seen him, is his scoring prowess going to translate to the pro's? Can he be a 25-30 goal scorer in the NHL? Or is he just a guy that is going to just be an AHL star and have his offense fizzle out once he hits the pro's? I know he has more facets to his game than scoring, but I want to know if he can be a second-liner in the future, a guy who can put up 50-70 points and 20-30 goals a season. Or if he's going to be a very good thrid-liner, as expected.
possible 2nd line player, more likely a 3rd line player. and actually after we drafted him and he went back to juniors for his over age year he actually gained that touch.

i think he is capable of 20-25 goals - 30-40 assists

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 01:06 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brett View Post

They didn't draft him thinking he just mold into a grinder... They drafted him knowing he had potential... He was a mid round pick that they hoped would turn into a very solid all around player, not just a grinder... So far he has developed very nicely, and looks like he will be more then a just a third liner...

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Fletch

Ryan Callahan...

should be playing right wing on the third line for the Rangers...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:45 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
what a young player on the rangers, no way. we need isbister to play with krog.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and i should be GM. I don't think you're doing any of the kids a favor playing them with the Rangers this season. You don't have to be very imaginative to think about the ridiculous amount of ice time he'll have and how he will not be watching games from the stands. Maybe next season but frankly, unless the Rangers trade many players for picks or one player (unlikely) or outright release players (more unlikely), there won't be any room on the RW.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Fletch

The third line right winger.....

seems to get ample ice time. That's where I said Ryan should be. I understand the reality is he'd play 5 minutes one game, sit next five games, and then get sent back to Hartford as the team either struggles to win or is winning (in the former situation, a rookie can't help in the eyes of the coach, and in the latter, the coach doesn't change up the lineup). My 'wish' is for someone like Callahan to be given a chance. A real one.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
eco's bones

I don't know if Ryan is ready and it looks to me in any case that Ortmeyer is making a bid for that job. Orts has looked a lot better the last week or so. I'm actually wondering though whether it might not be a good idea to give Dubinsky a few games. Cullen has failed as 2nd line center--Krog didn't look all that good today. They think Jarkko is too slow and Betts can't make plays and Cullen for that matter hasn't made plays either. We have one center who makes plays. Dubinsky would bring more grit and he has a legitimate future in the league. It might be force feeding him but I don't know if a few games would hurt. He just might work well with a guy like Shanahan.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Fletch

The difference between Ryan...

and Ortmeyer is that Ryan may actually score some goals. Ortmeyer's a fourth liner - Callahan's hopefully a third liner. I do believe he's ready. He came out of the gates pretty strong and has kept his play up. He looked fine briefly in the NHL. Not sure if he gets much better in the AHL. Rememnber also, he played an extra year in juniors, so he's older than your typical first year AHLer.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
storm fan

He wasn't known as a scorer in juniors? He had 50+ goals in junior and broke Guelph's scoring record.

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Nich

i say leave him down, let the pack win the calder cup as the youngest team in the AHL, and then they will gain the same hunger possibly in the nhl....mmm ahl and nhl champs. 6 years apart.....saweeet if it happened

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:27 PM
crisb

HE could become a 2nd line foward. He would be a third...

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:30 PM
True Blue

Callahan and Ortmeyer are not, or should not, be competing for the same spot. Jed, bless his heart for all of his hustle, will never be more than a good 4th liner. Callahan looks to have a shot at being a 3rd line player who can net one here and there. The fact of the matter is that with all of the flotsom and jetsum that this team employs within the lineup, I find it amazing that someone like him has not been given a chance. When, at any given time, you can skate 5 4th liners and a waiver pickup, seems to me that it is a big flag that mayhaps it is time to give someone a chance.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:43 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm fan View Post
He wasn't known as a scorer in juniors? He had 50+ goals in junior and broke Guelph's scoring record.
i was just gonna say the same thing...he might not have been viewed as a scorer when he was drafted, but he certainly was a scorer when he left juniors.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Callahan and Ortmeyer are not, or should not, be competing for the same spot. Jed, bless his heart for all of his hustle, will never be more than a good 4th liner. Callahan looks to have a shot at being a 3rd line player who can net one here and there. The fact of the matter is that with all of the flotsom and jetsum that this team employs within the lineup, I find it amazing that someone like him has not been given a chance. When, at any given time, you can skate 5 4th liners and a waiver pickup, seems to me that it is a big flag that mayhaps it is time to give someone a chance.
I agree and don't here.

I think Callahan deserves a shot and should be up right now.

I don't agree that Callahan and Ortmeyer should not be competing for the same spot.

Callahan is one of those kids who is ideally suited to start out on the 4th line and then the third line.

Now that's not necessarily what HAS to happen, but I also don't think it's on the "never should happen list".

Now for a player like Dawes or Prucha or Dubinsky I'd say yes, but Callahan is probably the kid out of the bunch that you really could say would work that way.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
watch him go down the drain with the same handling of Nigel Dawes... a team in NYC can NEVER rebuild... all they demand are superstars and big names... would the average joe who pays triple figures for a ticket or people in the suites rather watch Gretzky, Messier, Jagr or Leetch or Callahan, Dawes, LaBarbera and Baranka?

none of the young guys on the squad is a scorer... hollweg, orts are 3rd/4th line bangers/grinders etc... tyutin and pck are steady d-men.. WHERE IS OUR Svatos, Wolski or Parise???

Osminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:00 AM
eco's bones

Well as far as Ortmeyer is concerned he's starting to get chances and some of them he's making on his own--going back to the penalty shot goal. Today busting up a play and cutting toward the middle for a good shot then starting a give and go with Cullen for a very good close in opportunity and then again moving in close and putting another off the crossbar. Maybe he's just got fresher legs or whatever but he seems to be getting more quality ice and more quality chances. Callahan has been a surprise to me--I didn't think he'd take to the pros quite this quickly. The one thing that I wonder about is his size and maybe I have to just get past having someone without very good size on the bottom lines. I agree though that he seems to be someone you can plug in one of those holes today and a year or two later he's moved up a line or two. Personally I'm not too jazzed by two many of our bottom liners either. We'd almost be better ridding ourselves of Betts (who is fine at what he does) than continue to put him in spots that he doesn't belong. I don't see what Krog really brings. Orr is pretty much a wasted lineup spot. Hall has been crap. Hossa does okay at what he's doing but it's like having a kid who should be on the honor roll coming home time after time with a report card that is just getting him by.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:17 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Now for a player like Dawes or Prucha or Dubinsky I'd say yes, but Callahan is probably the kid out of the bunch that you really could say would work that way.
Fair enough, Edge. My thinking was coming from the process that with this team desperately needing a little scoring from the 3rd line, that Ortmeyer is definetly not going to help in that aspect, whereas Callahan might.

Old
01-21-2007, 09:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
WHERE IS OUR Svatos, Wolski or Parise???
Our Svatos is currently off of Renney's radar, on the 4th line.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:04 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Well see...I don't quite think that's the problem. This team has a bunch of good players...but their missing that extra toughness...the guys who can light a fire...or spark the team and crowd...or get under the other team's skin. Sure we have Hollweg but he's small....doesn't play too much, etc. I'm hoping there's someone in HFTD...but a role that Cally would fill...I mean Hossa's done great, Jed too. It really is just a lack of balance and effectiveness of the line combos and a few missing pieces

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:26 PM
crisb

Ortmeyer should not be benched for Cally.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Fair enough, Edge. My thinking was coming from the process that with this team desperately needing a little scoring from the 3rd line, that Ortmeyer is definetly not going to help in that aspect, whereas Callahan might.
And that's where I agree with you.

Now PERSONALLY I'd put Callahan on the third line (I think you've probably seen my line combos in another thread).

However if we had to put him on the 4th to start, he's probably most capable of any of our just about ready prospects to do that.

Personally I'd like to get Morrison and pair Cullen and Callahan together with a plug in defensive player (say Ward) on the third line.

But that'd make too much sense.

Old
01-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Personally I'd like to get Morrison and pair Cullen and Callahan together with a plug in defensive player (say Ward) on the third line.

But that'd make too much sense.
and why exactly would Morrison be available?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Fletch

Way too much sense, Edge...

a defensively responsible third line with guys who also have decent speed and scoring capability? As well, a decent group of forecheckers? On a third line?

Old
01-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
and why exactly would Morrison be available?
The general opinion is that Vancouver is looking to move his salary and realtive underachiecing and acquire different pieces.

Now his recent games have brought his numbers back a little but in general the feeling has seemed to be that his numbers and his defense were not quite what the team was looking for on the second line.

Now whether or not they decide to ultimately move him remains to be seen, but it hasn't been a secret that they're at least entertaining the thought.