HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So basically Chris Kreider is Tony Amonte

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2014, 12:08 PM
  #1
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
So basically Chris Kreider is Tony Amonte

Sorry, having no open threads about Kreider is illegal.

Both Americans
Both from Massachusetts
Both big, strong and fast, albeit Kreider's speed is on another level.

Kreider has all the tools and potential to be the the first 40 goal scorer since Amonte, who was one of my favorite Rangers. I died when they traded him.

Every time I see Kreider I think of Tony... it only took us 20 years to home grow a real sniper. Good job, Sather, you did something right.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
  #2
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Kreider has all the tools and potential to be the the first 40 goal scorer since Amonte, who was one of my favorite Rangers. I died when they traded him.
Amonte never scored 40 as a Ranger, and Gaborik put up 40.

Greg02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
  #3
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Amonte never scored 40 as a Ranger, and Gaborik put up 40.

Gaborik wasn't home-grown. I'm speaking about home-grown guys..

And I know Tony never did it for us, which pains me to death. Kreider could be the first guy to do it for us since...Duguay in 81-82? Anyone know this?

I know we won the whole Cup 'n all, but trading Weight and Amonte really sucked. I LOVED them and their games.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
  #4
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Kreider could be the first guy to do it for us since...Duguay in 81-82? Anyone know this?
Tomas Sandstrom, 1987

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
  #5
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,111
vCash: 500
Eh, Kreider still has a ways to go before he looks like he can break 40. He will need to be able to score more with his shot than he currently does.

Seems like he could break 20 goals this season and hopefully continue improving some more and break 30 in the future. I'd be pretty happy if he can be a consistent 30 goal threat

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:40 PM
  #6
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Sorry, having no open threads about Kreider is illegal.

Both Americans
Both from Massachusetts
Both big, strong and fast, albeit Kreider's speed is on another level.

Kreider has all the tools and potential to be the the first 40 goal scorer since Amonte, who was one of my favorite Rangers. I died when they traded him.

Every time I see Kreider I think of Tony... it only took us 20 years to home grow a real sniper. Good job, Sather, you did something right.
Kreider is alot stronger than Amonte was...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
  #7
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Tony was a very good player. I do not think he had the size or power that Kreider has but he is a nice comparison. So is Gartner.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
  #8
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,111
vCash: 500
Speaking of Kreider here is a random article in the Washington Post of all places that says Kreider is the top rookie so far halfway into the season

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...of-nhl-season/

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:46 PM
  #9
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Tony was a very good player. I do not think he had the size or power that Kreider has but he is a nice comparison. So is Gartner.
Yet, I bet when its all said and done, Amonte has the better career.

And thats not a shot at Kreider - if he has a career even approaching Amonte's, we should be very happy.

Mentioning Gartner is ridiculous.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
  #10
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,792
vCash: 500
I can see the similarities overall, but I'm not ready to go there until he can have a full season of production. Let's at least see 20 goals out of the kid before we start drawing comparisons to one of the all-time best American goal scorers.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:52 PM
  #11
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Tomas Sandstrom, 1987
ahh, duh... thanks!

I started watching in 89-90 and I think he got traded that season. Barely remember him at all.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:54 PM
  #12
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I can see the similarities overall, but I'm not ready to go there until he can have a full season of production. Let's at least see 20 goals out of the kid before we start drawing comparisons to one of the all-time best American goal scorers.
I hear ya, but he's gaining more and more confidence with every game. I'd say 30-40 next year is not out of the question.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
  #13
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,591
vCash: 500
Kreider--somewhat bigger. Much stronger. Faster. Better in the corners and has shown more playmaking ability.

Amonte--better goal scoring instincts but played in a league when scoring goals wasn't as hard as it is now. A little more edge--mentally quicker on figuring out the NHL game.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:07 PM
  #14
Machinehead
Richards Supporter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,380
vCash: 500
Kreider isn't somewhat bigger, Kreider is alot bigger. Comparable styles though. I hope we keep Kreider.

Although I have to say -and I've always found that I'm in the minority on this- I'd do the Amonte trade all over again. It sacrificed some great years in the future to make us a bigger, better team going into the playoffs. I'd say it was worth it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:09 PM
  #15
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
Kreider is half German right? No wonder he's built solid...

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
  #16
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Kreider isn't somewhat bigger, Kreider is alot bigger. Comparable styles though. I hope we keep Kreider.

Although I have to say -and I've always found that I'm in the minority on this- I'd do the Amonte trade all over again. It sacrificed some great years in the future to make us a bigger, better team going into the playoffs. I'd say it was worth it.
Yeah, I mean we got a Cup, sooooo

And I'm pretty sure Kreider is nowhere near as talented as Amonte in terms of trashing hotel rooms.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM
  #17
Machinehead
Richards Supporter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Yeah, I mean we got a Cup, sooooo

And I'm pretty sure Kreider is nowhere near as talented as Amonte in terms of trashing hotel rooms.
True, but Kreider has him in jumping out of pools.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM
  #18
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,313
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Kreider is alot stronger than Amonte was...
He is, though most players now are stronger than their peers from 20 years ago. ****, Gretzky would have had to bulk up a bit and hit the weights if he were to play in the modern game.

Could you imagine Ovechkin, with his speed, playing at 6'2" and 230 back in the early 80s?

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
  #19
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I hear ya, but he's gaining more and more confidence with every game. I'd say 30-40 next year is not out of the question.
Hes still pretty inconsistent on a game to game basis. I thought he was playing better in November.

But thats to be expected. Hes no longer totally lost like he was. Not even close to the time of comparing him to Tony Amonte.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:13 PM
  #20
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin
 
Thordic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kearny, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Although I have to say -and I've always found that I'm in the minority on this- I'd do the Amonte trade all over again. It sacrificed some great years in the future to make us a bigger, better team going into the playoffs. I'd say it was worth it.
I think most fans, myself included, feel we still could have won the cup with Amonte. It's debateable, along with the Gartner trade (although as Mike was older at the time, it's irrelevant).

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:17 PM
  #21
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,426
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Other than being American and from Mass, I fail to see the comparison with Amonte.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
  #22
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Although he was not a Ranger, I think a more valid comparison is with Bill Guerin.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
  #23
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Other than being American and from Mass, I fail to see the comparison with Amonte.
Me neither. Kreider is bigger and stronger. Amonte had much, much better hands.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
  #24
Machinehead
Richards Supporter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,380
vCash: 500
I'm just glad Kreider doesn't look like Bill Guerin

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
  #25
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He is, though most players now are stronger than their peers from 20 years ago. ****, Gretzky would have had to bulk up a bit and hit the weights if he were to play in the modern game.

Could you imagine Ovechkin, with his speed, playing at 6'2" and 230 back in the early 80s?
Kind of like Cam Neely

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.