HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren chose Luke Schenn over Yandle? Ouch.

Old
01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
Pannacio article.
I just tried reading this out loud and found my hands automatically doing air quotes when saying "article".

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Another fabricated story that will be treated as fact to back up the anti-Holmgren bias...

Other reports from the time this was going on say the price was steep, but one comment from a hack years later is being taken as truth. JVR+, what's the plus? Read? Simmonds?
Yes... And IIRC most of the discussions at that time was about how Homer should not overpay and give up so much of the potential young core for him. Now rewritten history suggests Homer dropped the ball even more with his moving of JvR. Much ado about nothing at this point IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 10:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
At the time of the trade, wasn't the general consensus that the Flyers needed more defensive D-men? Luke Schenn was that guy, Yandle wasn't. Right now the Flyers need more mobile D-men, but that wasn't the case when the trade was made. Hindsight is 20/20.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

not buying the source.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:47 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm going with this!!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Taking into consideration JvR's past inconsistency and the more time it takes to have a D-man reach maturity, I would not at this time close the book and say that Toronto won the trade hands down... I would wait until their prime years with the teams are complete to decide on the outcome. That said, if JvR continues as he has this season and Luke doesn't step it up... it certainly will not have been a good deal for the Flyers.

JVR still kind of inconsistent. His production has trailed off over the past month or so (13 games)..and Luke's play has improved as of late.

Last 13 GAMES:

JVR:
2G 3A

LUKE SCHENN:
2G 2A

B SCHENN
3G 6A

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Jeez, JVR had a brutal month of December. Like you said, 5 points in the last 13 games, as well as a -10!

01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
At the time of the trade, wasn't the general consensus that the Flyers needed more defensive D-men? Luke Schenn was that guy, Yandle wasn't. Right now the Flyers need more mobile D-men, but that wasn't the case when the trade was made. Hindsight is 20/20.
Spot on!!

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
My memory might be a little hazy but I thought at the time we had Coburn and Grossmann and were looking for a puck moving d-man to eventually replace Timonen...

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
My memory might be a little hazy but I thought at the time we had Coburn and Grossmann and were looking for a puck moving d-man to eventually replace Timonen...
I think your memory is more than a little hazy. Just go back to look at the trade thread when it happened. Aside from typical overreactions (at least one person calling it the worst trade in history), most people are talking about how the Flyers needed defense not offense.

I'd also like to note how happy many people were that getting Schenn meant Carle was on the way out. I don't have time now but I'd like to go back and look to see if those are the same people who have talked about the mistake of letting Carle walk.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1215313

Old
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I think your memory is more than a little hazy. Just go back to look at the trade thread when it happened. Aside from typical overreactions (at least one person calling it the worst trade in history), most people are talking about how the Flyers needed defense not offense.

I'd also like to note how happy many people were that getting Schenn meant Carle was on the way out. I don't have time now but I'd like to go back and look to see if those are the same people who have talked about the mistake of letting Carle walk.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1215313
I stand by my decision. I'm glad they let Carle walk and didn't give him that ridiculous amount of money.

I'm also fine with the way Schenn has been improving lately. I want to see him get a chance to develop.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
  1. This.
  2. This.
  3. So
  4. much
  5. this.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
JVR still kind of inconsistent. His production has trailed off over the past month or so (13 games)..and Luke's play has improved as of late.

Last 13 GAMES:

JVR:
2G 3A

LUKE SCHENN:
2G 2A

B SCHENN
3G 6A
I'll still undo that trade any day of the week. G on a line with JvR would have easily sparked more offensive production.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Oh well.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I'll still undo that trade any day of the week. G on a line with JvR would have easily sparked more offensive production.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Oh well.
Doesn't JVR play with Kadri and Kessel? I would've thought he could've lucked into a few more assists playing with Kessel

Old
01-06-2014, 03:28 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Doesn't JVR play with Kadri and Kessel? I would've thought he could've lucked into a few more assists playing with Kessel
I think he plays with Bozak and Kessel, don't quote me on that, though. And I'm surprised to see JVR hasn't been putting up points over the past month because it seems every time I watch Leafs highlights he's scoring or setting up Kessel for goals.

Also, don't crucify me here guys, but I'd rather have Carle at this point than L. Schenn. I like Schenn and think he gets overly criticized, but Carle brought more to the table and the Flyers could use his puck moving ability.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
DenverBoone

blasphemy

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
blasphemy
You got a lot of nerve showing your face round these parts DB...

How's the TB board?

Old
01-06-2014, 03:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I stand by my decision. I'm glad they let Carle walk and didn't give him that ridiculous amount of money.

I'm also fine with the way Schenn has been improving lately. I want to see him get a chance to develop.
Yeah I wasn't too broken up about Carle leaving. I wanted to re-sign him but not at the money he wanted. I just remember him being a total whipping boy, then when he leaves a lot of people were criticizing Homer for failing to sign him. It would be interesting to see if the same people complaining about Carle were also the ones complaining about Homer not re-signing him.

Also I have no problem with Schenn. He hasn't been great by any means, but like most things around here, his struggles have been exaggerated. This fan base screams about patience, but they don't appear to have any for Luke Schenn the ancient 24-year old.

Old
01-06-2014, 03:45 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
You got a lot of nerve showing your face round these parts DB...

How's the TB board?
Boring. Not nearly as much Carle hate. Everybody is freaked at Bishop's injury.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:46 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't too broken up about Carle leaving. I wanted to re-sign him but not at the money he wanted. I just remember him being a total whipping boy, then when he leaves a lot of people were criticizing Homer for failing to sign him. It would be interesting to see if the same people complaining about Carle were also the ones complaining about Homer not re-signing him.

Also I have no problem with Schenn. He hasn't been great by any means, but like most things around here, his struggles have been exaggerated. This fan base screams about patience, but they don't appear to have any for Luke Schenn the ancient 24-year old.
That's the biggest problem for me. Preaching patience and *****ing about trading young guys, yet Schenn is an absolute dog. It's weird seeing his 5 years of NHL experience being used AGAINST him.

Old
01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I think the argument nay be the flashes and potential JvR has and his getting off the blocks quickly and strong and the slow yet steady maturation of Luke... Add to that the fact that he was benched for a few games in favor of basically Hal Gill -- whether to send a message or have him watch fro above and rethink his play -- As I said before, D-men take longer to develop and their true worth doesn't really appear for a while on the D-side... And then JvR stars in the Winter Classic with a couple of goals with North America watching... People are looking at a supposed First Line Forward with game breaking/game potential opposed to a plodding hard hitting D-man with shutdown potential short of a top pair player.

I still say that if JvR reaches his potential and can take control of many games a season while looking like the Overall Number Two in the Draft and Luke becomes the solid hard hitting shutdown D-man he was obtained to be, the Flyers and Homer will be panned and thought to have been fleeced... Never mind the good chance that JvR may never have reached his consistency in O&B and Luke may never have been the player the Center of the Hockey Universe was hoping for... Never mind that reuniting the Schenn Brothers may have an important effect on Brayden... and never mind that the Flyers could afford to lose a quality Forward to obtain a solid hard hitting and steady stay at home D-man.

But in the end, as I see it, it will still be left for time to be the ultimate judge of this trade... and the best possible trade is one that gives both parties what they were after... And even then we may never know what would have been had both players stayed put, and if they both may have never reached their potential.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 08:47 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Sounds to me Timmy p couldn't think of anything to write about by his deadline.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
dawkins121

I'm sorry am I the only one who sees Luke Schenn as an average third pairing d-man? Even if he reaches his "potential" he'll be what? A hard hitting stay at home d-man? How is that worth 25 goal-50 point second line player?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
I'm sorry am I the only one who sees Luke Schenn as an average third pairing d-man? Even if he reaches his "potential" he'll be what? A hard hitting stay at home d-man? How is that worth 25 goal-50 point second line player?
Have you read these boards? Everybody would undo the trade in hindsight. Nobody is saying Luke Schenn is worth JVR at this point.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Pay attention. We all know that. No one disputes that.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote