HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky

Old
01-21-2007, 02:44 PM
bar down*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Dubinsky

Ive heard a lot of good thins but i have no idea who he is. is he a possible 1st liner?

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Fletch

Possible...

most think he's more along the lines of a second liner. We'll see. He has good drive, decent size and great skills; just a raw talent who seems to get better each game.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

He's gone from a 3rd line pest type of player, with some offensive capabilites at the time he was drafted, to a legitimate future 2nd line center prospect, with the outside possibility of of developing into a 1st line center. Much of his game is raw, due to the fact that, he's gone through a growth spurt in the last two years - from 5'11" 180 pest to solid-framed 6'1" 220 bull.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:21 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He's gone from a 3rd line pest type of player, with some offensive capabilites at the time he was drafted, to a legitimate future 2nd line center prospect, with the outside possibility of of developing into a 1st line center. Much of his game is raw, due to the fact that, he's gone through a growth spurt in the last two years - from 5'11" 180 pest to solid-framed 6'1" 220 bull.
Am I wrong in thinking that would mean his development would be better served by leaving him in Hartford for now?

Last edited by klingsor: 01-21-2007 at 03:28 PM.
klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:23 PM
crisb

He should stay in HArtford for the rest of the season. There is no point in rushing him in this season.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

def agreed. and he has yet to hit that scoring stride in Hartford that he had when he debuted in the playoffs last year going 10 points in 11 games. He probably needs to be able to do that consistently. I'm gonna guess he starts next year in Hartford, gets 10 points in 6 games, gets called up, and never looks back.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Edge

Work in progress.

Has to get used to his bigger frame and frankly I think the kid needs to focus more on his nutrition and being in game shape.

As he's grown he's added baby fat and by his own admission is not a workout junkie. In order to really tap into his full potential, he's going to have to really dedicate himself.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
Ive heard a lot of good thins but i have no idea who he is. is he a possible 1st liner?
In terms of potential, I would maybe like to compare his absolute upside to Jason Allison.

I don't know if you remember Allison's days with the Bruins, he had some really succesful years there. Getting some really good numbers, while beeing in a enviorment that fitted him.

Dubinsky have that kind of potential, if he develops really well the next couple of seasons, and are played in a perfect enviorment.

Though its important to point out that Dubinsky never will become a star like a Joe Sakic or Keith Primaue, he don't have that kind of potential.

Its not that they are identical in terms of skill, but both have some big flaws if we are talking top 2 line centers in the NHL, but both also have that special touch around the net, and kind of the same attitude offensivly, really hungry and effective. Typical Canadian high scoring players, you never really see players comming out of Europe with that thirst for the net. Marc Savard is maybe the prototyp for that attitude.

Though more likely Dubinsky have potential to play on a 2nd line.

One factor, is how these kids can develop in the AHL. Through the years very few high scoring players have developed in the AHL. But the NHL have become much less about pure strength, toughness and hustle, and much more about pure skills. A young kid with the right attitude had it allot easier to make it to the NHL right away with the old rules. Devleoping skills take longer time. And its crucial that guys like Dubinsky keeps developing allot over the next couple of years, not just that he grows into his body and gets used to the pro game. He must develop his overall skill level too.

Thats what many European players have been able to do, staying in Europe and then maybe when they are 22-23 y/o move the NHL. Kids like Zetterberg who defenitly weren't near the NHL when he where 20, but stepped in and made a huge impact when he were 23, after developing his overall skills a ton at that time. I think the European nations have had a big advantage here over Canada for example, Sweden have like 5% the amount of hockey players then Canada do, but still like 10% of the players in the NHL and not many of them beeing 4th lineers. The reason for it have been the oppertunity kids in Sweden have been given to keep developing their game long after beeing drafted. The AHL have not been able to do that. I don't know if there is a example out there of a kid playing 3 years in the AHL and then gooing to the NHL and becomming a star, while there is a ton of example of that from Europe.

Renney have built up the foundation to create a enviorment like that in the AHL. Were HFD not just becomes a place were you learn the pro game(tactics and stuff)/the north american game but a place were kids become faster, better stickhandlers and develop there passing games ect. Thats defenitly the goal of the organization. Looking at % alone, its insane for example to bring young kids over from Europe ASAP. For every Marian Hossa, who is a European who developed in the NA, there is 10 Zetterbergs and Datsyuks. Detroit have had a ton of success not touching drafted players for atleast 4 years. But Maloney went on record a while back saying that they would like to bring over Anisimov right away, they also tried to do it with Jessiman for example.

It will be really interesting to see how that work.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Edge

When he was smaller I saw a lot of Marc Savard in him (though not as offensivly inclined). Thought he would be a fiesty, smaller player who didn't really drop the gloves but bugged the heck out of the other team and generated offense.

As Dubinsky has grown,his game and his expectations have changed a bit. Now I see more of the potential for a poor man's Mark Messier. A guy who can generate offense but goes out there and can hit, throw an elbow and occassionally drop the gloves. I think if he gets himself into top shape he has a change to physically change a game with his added size now.

Old
01-21-2007, 06:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
When he was smaller I saw a lot of Marc Savard in him (though not as offensivly inclined). Thought he would be a fiesty, smaller player who didn't really drop the gloves but bugged the heck out of the other team and generated offense.

As Dubinsky has grown,his game and his expectations have changed a bit. Now I see more of the potential for a poor man's Mark Messier. A guy who can generate offense but goes out there and can hit, throw an elbow and occassionally drop the gloves. I think if he gets himself into top shape he has a change to physically change a game with his added size now.
That's sort of why I wouldn't mind him getting a bit of a trial next to Shanny, just so he could learn at Shanny's bootstrap about being a professional hockey player.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:31 PM
bubba5

This is the Rangers, never gonna happen.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

I guess we pretty much know that he really is 6'1 224lbs. There was alot of doubt about that before the season. One look at his new Rangers pic shows you that he is indeed a bigger player.

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/p...p?playerid=311

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Fletch

He's a fat boy...

got no shoulders!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:

This is where your coaching staff comes into play. Here you have a raw talent, similar to Mark in that respect also. The key is to harness that potental and channel it in the proper direction.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I guess we pretty much know that he really is 6'1 224lbs. There was alot of doubt about that before the season. One look at his new Rangers pic shows you that he is indeed a bigger player.

Unfortunatly (and I've commented on this before) it really doesn't look like the right kind of weight.

I thought it would be difficult to add that much muscle in a short amount of time and so I doubted the weight gain. However, unfortunatly, it looks he did indeed put on the weight. It's just not the kid he needed to put on.

In almost every picture I've seen of him since he "bulked" up he plain and simple looks chubby. Combining that with comments the coaching staff and Brandon himself has made and this kid is going to need to start taking his fitness seriously and I'm starting to wonder if that is what has primarily affected his slow start this season.

Ideally I think Dubinsky plays in the 210-215 range but the reality is it's not so much the number on the scale but how one gets to that number.

I check in at about 210 at the moment, if I was playing I'd probably only weigh about 10 pounds more but I'd be carring more muscle mass.

Old
01-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post

Double chin get him in the GYM!!!

Seriously this guy has some talent, but if he's not going to learn to train properly he'll have very hard time making it. That jump from AHL to NHL is vast enough w/o blubber getting in the way. Get down and give me 20 Brandon, lol

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Dubi has lost a lot of weight since joining the Pack (a lot of blubber weight at least).
Heres his recent picture....

So can we quit with the fatty jokes on poor Dubi now?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Edge

That is EXACTLY what I want to see.

Old
01-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Pizza

Great to see that. Thanks Fly.

Old
01-22-2007, 07:47 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Here here, good find, Fly.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
That's sort of why I wouldn't mind him getting a bit of a trial next to Shanny, just so he could learn at Shanny's bootstrap about being a professional hockey player.
Shanny taught Jessiman somethings and look how great that turned out great scouts we have, we picked a player cause he was a Rangers fan and is big.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
dank

Quote:
FUTURE:"Dubinsky is well on his way to an NHL spot because he has the offensive skills, he has the ability to play with an edge, and he isn’t afraid of taking or giving hits. He is probably best suited as a third line player/penalty killer in the NHL, but if his offensive upside continues to improve he could be considered more of an offensive threat in the future."
Took this from Dubinsky's profile on the main site: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brandon_dubinsky

don't know how long ago it was updated, but what do you guys think? is it dead-on? has he made that progress to be considered higher than a 3rd liner?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:11 AM
Pizza

Yeah. A 2nd or just maybe even a 1st liner.

Old
01-23-2007, 03:12 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I see him as a 2nd liner.

It's interesting, because I see both him and Anisimov as 2nd line centers. The difference between the two is that Anisimov has the potential to be a 1st liner, from what I've read. The few clips I've seen - the ones posted on here by FlyLine, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong - showed a glimpse of his offensive potential, and I could say it's somewhat warranted.

Which one do you deal at that point?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:37 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I see him as a 2nd liner.

It's interesting, because I see both him and Anisimov as 2nd line centers. The difference between the two is that Anisimov has the potential to be a 1st liner, from what I've read. The few clips I've seen - the ones posted on here by FlyLine, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong - showed a glimpse of his offensive potential, and I could say it's somewhat warranted.

Which one do you deal at that point?
none, we dont really have that many skilled prospects outside of Dubinsky, Immonen (who should be in the NHL), Dawes, Anisimov and maybe Dupont. We do have lot of d prospects, we can use them to get some more skilled prospects up front. We got lot of 4th liners, Moore, Helminen, Falardeau, Hunter. We got some 3rd liners, Byers, Callahan (maybe 2ed line), Bahensky

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote