HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

2013-14 Ongoing Waiver Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
It's kinda fascinating. The CPR line (Cracknell/Porter/Reaves) generated quite a bit of press at the end of last season and playoffs with their play. It's obvious St. Louis really had no interest in those players going forward, but decided to re-sign them for PR reasons, because Porter was on the outside looking in almost from the get-go this season (has been on waivers twice) and now Cracknell's on waivers, too. It goes to show that sometimes you're better off letting a player go if you don't really have plans for him, rather than letting popularity with fans dictating player moves (Another good example is Edmonton bringing back Fernando Pisani after his break-out playoff performance, re-signed to a lucrative deal and declined rather abruptly. I know colitis had a major impact on his performance, but he was a guy who was clearly on the way out of Edmonton when his breakout necessitated his being re-signed).
Wow that seems like a bizarre analysis of the Blues personnel decisions, from the perspective of a Blues fan.

The CPR line was great, but on the other hand its not like they won a playoff series with that line as the 4th line. Their energy was instrumental in the late season. But Cracknell lacks foot speed to be an NHL regular.

It was a surprise when Cracknell passed Porter on the depth chart, and Porter was the one sent down in camp. But with the signing of Lapierre and Morrow, the competition for the 4th line was fierce. When the Blues are completely healthy, the 4th line is made up of a combination of Morrow, Lapierre, Sobotka, Paajarvi, Reaves, Porter, Cracknell. Its more skilled than last year's, and I think its obvious why Porter/Cracknell aren't starting or even on the NHL roster under those circumstances.

I believe Paajarvi will be on the 3rd line as a regular soon, displacing Morrow back to the 4th line. But its not established yet.

Reaves is the guy who has really improved and earned his ice time on the 4th line. During the time he's been out with a broken hand, his absence was very noticeable. He's a notch above Porter (who is more versatile) and Cracknell (who is slow, as I mentioned, but plays an intelligent game).

As a Blues fan, I hope Cracknell clears because he's a guy that's easy to root for. But this move reflects nothing except that Porter, in his recent call-up while the Blues were without Backes, Steen, Roy, Sobotka, etc, Porter has surpassed Cracknell on the depth chart. He took advantage of his opportunity. But he's (Porter) still probably the next guy waived.

When Leopold comes back I'm curious to see whether Colaiacovo is waived or whether the Blues roll with 8 d-men (and waive Porter).

I find the analysis I quoted to be way off base, concluding that the team was acting out of some PR motive. Why can't they just have been ensuring their depth and then taking advantage of the opportunity to get guys with the pedigree of Morrow and the intangibles of Lapierre (who had centered a 3rd line last season) to add to the mix? You jump on those kinds of chances. I think they are the kind of signings that a Cup contender can make, and were even more feasible due to the Cap going down (less league-wide competition in contracts).

Last edited by 2 Minute Minor: 01-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old
01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Tedenby = hands of stone
Isn't that all he got?

Old
01-03-2014, 01:48 PM
SIU LAW

“PR” was not involved.

In addition to above, without getting into the entire history and looking for all the old articles, it was suggested that Hitchcock was really unhappy at training camp how the presumed 4th liners felt their jobs were locked up and did not show enough intensity.

Also, Porter seemed to have a grudge about the Blues signing additional 4th liners (e.g. Lappy) after he thought he secured a spot with his new contract. Additionally, Cracknell was apparently “officially” selected over Porter at the beginning of the season due to his versatility at center and being right handed, but I think Porter’s attitude and lack of intensity at camp resulted in his AHL assignment (in addition to the numbers game created by the Morrow signing).

Last edited by SIU LAW: 01-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old
01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
SIU LAW

Also, Porter's recent waiver wire transaction was a courtsey to him to see if he could be picked up by another team.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...51cdbfb85.html

Quote:
The Blues are up against the league’s salary cap. If Porter is claimed, his two-year deal and $675,000 cap hit comes off the books. But general manager Doug Armstrong emphasized there is more to Porter’s situation than bookkeeping. He believes Porter belongs in the NHL and deserves the opportunity if it’s out there.

“He played well while he was here” recently, Armstrong said. “And he played very well for us last season. He’s done everything we have asked of him and we believe he’s an NHL player. We’re not an organization that wants to hold a player down and deny him that opportunity if it’s there.”

Last edited by SIU LAW: 01-03-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old
01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Tedenby can play but he needs to play in a system that lets him creatively play east/west. DeBoer tried to chain him up and benched him for the slightest infraction while Stephen Gionta could do whatever he wanted.
That's because Gionta was a more effective player. Which should say something about Tedenby. The kid can fly, but that's pretty much it.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:38 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU LAW View Post
“PR” was not involved.

In addition to above, without getting into the entire history and looking for all the old articles, it was suggested that Hitchcock was really unhappy at training camp how the presumed 4th liners felt their jobs were locked up and did not show enough intensity.

Also, Porter seemed to have a grudge about the Blues signing additional 4th liners (e.g. Lappy) after he thought he secured a spot with his new contract. Additionally, Cracknell was apparently “officially” selected over Porter at the beginning of the season due to his versatility at center and being right handed, but I think Porter’s attitude and lack of intensity at camp resulted in his AHL assignment (in addition to the numbers game created by the Morrow signing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU LAW View Post
Also, Porter's recent waiver wire transaction was a courtsey to him to see if he could be picked up by another team.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...51cdbfb85.html
This, very well done SIU LAW.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:39 AM
caley

Tedenby has cleared waivers and been assigned to Albany.

Since nobody has announced Cracknell has been claimed, it seems likely he has cleared as well.

01-05-2014, 11:18 AM
caley

Boy, does ANYONE ever report on Saturday morning waivers anymore? First we had Dustin Jeffrey claimed on a Sunday when no one knew he was on waivers a few weeks back and now Gilbert Brule clears unconditional waivers on this morning when no one knew he was on waivers yesterday

per Dreger
Quote:
PHX, G.Brule cleared unconditional Waivers. PX will now proceed to terminate the contract.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tedenby has cleared waivers and been assigned to Albany.

Since nobody has announced Cracknell has been claimed, it seems likely he has cleared as well.
Cracknell cleared according to St Louis local news. (Probably obvious by now.) However, I can't confirm that he's been reassigned....kind of curious about that situation.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Cracknell cleared according to St Louis local news. (Probably obvious by now.) However, I can't confirm that he's been reassigned....kind of curious about that situation.
I don't think it's unusual for a player to be waived and then kept on the NHL roster when they clear. From some of the things I've read waivers are sometimes used to assess a player's value and tip off league GM's that he's available. How many times have we seen a player clear waivers only to be traded for an asset?

Old
01-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I don't think it's unusual for a player to be waived and then kept on the NHL roster when they clear. From some of the things I've read waivers are sometimes used to assess a player's value and tip off league GM's that he's available. How many times have we seen a player clear waivers only to be traded for an asset?
Yep you're exactly right. When a guy clears, there's no guarantee that he'll be re-assigned to the AHL.

Old
01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
caley

per Elliotte Friedman and Darren Dreger, the NY Rangers have placed Martin Biron on unconditional waivers, for the purpose of terminating his contract. What's odd about that is that Biron already announced his retirement. Some are speculating he could be coming out of retirement and the Rangers are giving him a chance to sign elsewhere.

Old
01-06-2014, 11:37 AM
jameswrjobe53

Quote:
per Elliotte Friedman and Darren Dreger, the NY Rangers have placed Martin Biron on unconditional waivers, for the purpose of terminating his contract. What's odd about that is that Biron already announced his retirement. Some are speculating he could be coming out of retirement and the Rangers are giving him a chance to sign elsewhere.
Thats hella-weird. Anything else on this?

Old
01-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Not if he's planning on coming out of retirement. Caley's right - it's really the only way to explain this move.

Old
01-06-2014, 11:53 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Quote:
Not if he's planning on coming out of retirement. Caley's right - it's really the only way to explain this move.
A simpler explanation:

He was still being paid notwithstanding his retirement, as a thanks for his years of service.

In order to terminate his contract, he has to be put on waivers.

In the old days (pre-cap obviously), the Canadiens used to give a one-year contract to their star players once they retired, and they might not have been the only team to do that.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
A simpler explanation:

He was still being paid notwithstanding his retirement, as a thanks for his years of service.

In order to terminate his contract, he has to be put on waivers.

In the old days (pre-cap obviously), the Canadiens used to give a one-year contract to their star players once they retired, and they might not have been the only team to do that.
But why waive him? Why not just pay him out until the end of the season? Is this a CBA/cap thing?

Old
01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
But why waive him? Why not just pay him out until the end of the season? Is this a CBA/cap thing?
Might have been a gentleman agreement.

"We'll give you a 2-month/10-week severance pay".

Old
01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Might have been a gentleman agreement.

"We'll give you a 2-month/10-week severance pay".
Fair enough.

Old
01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Fire Sweeney

I think he'll have to wait a couple of years before returning if he signed the retirement papers anyway.

Old
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
caley

I dunno, if it's a gentleman's agreement, they could just agree to suspend him.

Old
01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I dunno, if it's a gentleman's agreement, they could just agree to suspend him.
"Suspension" is not a label I would put on a player that I want to thank.

They could have put him on waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract more than two months ago.

It looks like they chose to continue paying him.

But I would not bet my name on that theory. It's just that it makes sense.

Old
01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
I think he'll have to wait a couple of years before returning if he signed the retirement papers anyway.
If he filed retirement papers though, wouldn't it have effectively nullified his contract such that NYR wouldn't be able to terminate it?

Old
01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
If he filed retirement papers though, wouldn't it have effectively nullified his contract such that NYR wouldn't be able to terminate it?
You'd think. And I wonder why he'd need to go through waivers in order to finalize that retirement.

Is it possible he wasn't going to actually file the retirement paperwork until the completion of the current contract?

Old
01-06-2014, 08:18 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 450
Quote:
You'd think. And I wonder why he'd need to go through waivers in order to finalize that retirement.

Is it possible he wasn't going to actually file the retirement paperwork until the completion of the current contract?
could be like what beauchamp said
he could have effectively retired, but for his service NYR could have agreed to a type of three month "severance package".

Old
01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
could be like what beauchamp said
he could have effectively retired, but for his service NYR could have agreed to a type of three month "severance package".
Seems like a strange way for a player to retire. I've never seen this before.

Must be something new.

Closed Thread