HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Briere second goal: Kick or not?

Old
01-21-2007, 03:08 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Briere second goal: Kick or not?

Sorry if this was covered last night, but I wondered about that goal reviewed by Briere to make it 3 to 3.

At first I thought it was off the stick, but when I watched the replay a few times it was anything but as obvious as Harry Neal (?) was making it. His left foot definitely kicks it forward, but did it hit his stick after that?

What did the Habs faithful capable of impartiality think?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
mikeg

no it was off the stick

it was at that point where i just could not take the idiocy of the cbc commentators and switched it to rds.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Sorry if this was covered last night, but I wondered about that goal reviewed by Briere to make it 3 to 3.

At first I thought it was off the stick, but when I watched the replay a few times it was anything but as obvious as Harry Neal (?) was making it. His left foot definitely kicks it forward, but did it hit his stick after that?

It was a weird play, very difficult to determine. I thought it might have it his stick, or his skate, 50/50, they called it a goal I wasnt sure if I should be mad or not, and then we scored so I wasnt mad at all anymore.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:19 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Looked like a skate to me... but was it really a kick or did Briere just stopped to hit it with his stick..

Weird play.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:29 PM
HABkings

Im 100% sure it was off his STICK!!

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Tricolore#20

From the RDS cameras, I would say that it was inconclusive at best.

Just for general understanding, if a video replay is deemed inconclusive, does the original call by the referee stand? In this case, since it was inconclusive, and the ref originally called the goal, it would take conclusive evidence otherwise to rule it no goal. Am I correct, or not, whether this is an actual rule in the rulebook?

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Sonik

There's one thing that can't be waived off : Brière's a ****!

...and he's the nicest diver since Alex Despatie.

Last edited by Tricolore#20: 01-21-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:34 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I would say he kicked it towards his stick it hit his stick and then went in I believe the correct call was made.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:41 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I thought he kicked it, but I think from his foot, I think the blade of his stick might've directed it.. Either way we won, so it doesn't matter.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:44 PM
mcphee

I thought that the CBC behind the net replay showed it hitting the stick. Whatever happened, give Campbell credit, he made a helluva play considering the time he had to alter his shot and pass.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
mikeg

The CBC feed was clear, it went off his stick. It never went off his skate, it did not bounce off the skate and then stick, it was all stick.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:48 PM
kostitsyn1489

I thought it was the skate yesterday but I saw the play today during Sports 30 and I'm pretty sure it touched the skate now and no doubt that his skate in aiming in the net.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Not at all a kick...he put his stick in front so he could chip it in and it went in. Nice job by him.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
shimy1221*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

who cares we won

shimy1221* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
ppil

I was at the game yesterday behind the habs net and to me there was never a doubt that it touched his stick but it happened pretty fast so I could be wrong.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:20 PM
lilooet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I would say he kicked it towards his stick it hit his stick and then went in I believe the correct call was made.
That's my call as well. At first I thought he had kicked it in, but then after seeing it, it looked as though he had re-directed his skate (no kicking motion) and it incidentally hit his stick and went in.

Still, I'm not even 75% sure that's what happened.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Kostitsyn404*

clearly not imo

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:15 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABkings View Post
Im 100% sure it was off his STICK!!
Deflected off skate toward stick, tickled the stick and continued to the net.

It would have been a goal even if it did not hit the stick, though, because the skate was not kicked toward the goal.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:29 PM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
From what i saw, and I saw it on Buffalo Sports Net(i think) his stick was right in front of skate, and the puck hit his stick and he scored, should it hit the skate there wasn't a kicking motion tho, and in no way should have been waved off.

MassiveHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
What if Briere had intentionally kicked it, and bounced off Komisarek's stick or Drury's stick, for example? I thought the rule was that a kicking motion, whether deflected after the play or not, was no goal no matter what..

As for Briere's goal, it simply deflected off his skate, looked like a goal to me whether it touched his stick or not.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Just for general understanding, if a video replay is deemed inconclusive, does the original call by the referee stand? In this case, since it was inconclusive, and the ref originally called the goal, it would take conclusive evidence otherwise to rule it no goal. Am I correct, or not, whether this is an actual rule in the rulebook?
You're bang on.

And yes, I thought the goal was good.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
What if Briere had intentionally kicked it, and bounced off Komisarek's stick or Drury's stick, for example? I thought the rule was that a kicking motion, whether deflected after the play or not, was no goal no matter what..
I'm pretty sure it would count had it gone off someone/something else like a skate or stick. So long as the puck doesn't enter the goal by way of a DIRECT kicking motion, I'm pretty sure it counts.

Old
01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
I'm pretty sure it would count had it gone off someone/something else like a skate or stick. So long as the puck doesn't enter the goal by way of a DIRECT kicking motion, I'm pretty sure it counts.
I'm not convinced, because what if the puck is kicked, hits Huet's stick or pad or skate, and goes in?

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

As for Briere's goal, it simply deflected off his skate, looked like a goal to me whether it touched his stick or not.
http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule93.html

Quote:
Puck directed into the net by a hand or foot. With the use of a foot/skate, was a distinct kicking motion evident? If so, the apparent goal must be disallowed. If the Video Goal Judge determines that it was put into the net by an attacking player using a distinct kicking motion, it must be ruled NO GOAL. This would also be true even if the puck, after being kicked, deflects off any other player of either team and then into the net. This is still NO GOAL.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Mackee

Quote:
I'm not convinced, because what if the puck is kicked, hits Huet's stick or pad or skate, and goes in?
You're right about that. I just looked this up. Here's Rule 70a from the NHL Rulebook:

Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or Official.

1. A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled NO GOAL.
2. A kicked puck that deflects off ANY stick (excluding the goalkeeper's stick) shall be ruled a GOOD GOAL. After the puck has been kicked, makes contact with any stick and then deflects off any player (excluding the goalkeeper) and into the net will still be ruled a GOOD GOAL.
3. The player who kicks the puck and has the puck deflect off his OWN stick and then into the net, this will be ruled a GOOD GOAL.

So it's not a goal if it deflects off a body but it IS a goal if it deflects off any stick but the goalie's.