HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

50 Greatest Moments at MSG

Old
01-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Ranger Danger

vCash: 500
50 Greatest Moments at MSG

How could the Knicks take number 1? The curse of the cup and our battle thru the 94 playoffs should clearly be number 1! I won't even get into my opinions on the NBA and the game of basketball. I was really let down by this.

MSG not MSH...sorry

Ranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 18203
did not see it but 94 shouldve been #1 hands down

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:12 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Danger View Post
How could the Knicks take number 1? The curse of the cup and our battle thru the 94 playoffs should clearly be number 1! I won't even get into my opinions on the NBA and the game of basketball. I was really let down by this.

MSG not MSH...sorry
Why do you care so deeply about this?

Anyway, we're hockey fans and we would say '94. BBall fans would think otherwise. There are more of them then us so it makes sense.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Greatest moments at MSH? Nice typo. Maybe they should rename the Garden to Mush in tribute to the Rangers' recent play...

As to the Knicks getting the #1 spot, I assume it went to game 7 against the Lakers when Willis Reed limps out on to the court? Can't argue with that over the cup, although the run in 93-94 is a close second.

The cup run was great and it could have propelled hockey to become a legitimate fourth major sport if labor strife hadn't screwed it up, but you have to remember a couple of things:

1) Basketball is bigger than hockey.

2) New York is considered by many to be "the" basketball city - whereas Toronto, Montreal - heck, even Detroit have more of a hockey reputation (although many players say the Garden does have the best crowd game-in and game-out).

3) For people older than 40, that Knicks team was as beloved as the 93-94 Rangers team. My parents still talk about how that was the best TEAM in terms of playing together as a unit of 5 ever to play the game.

4) Willis Reed hobbling out onto the court is a truly LEGENDARY moment in the annals of basketball. As big, if not bigger, than Mess's guarantee. No one knows if he's going to be able to play and then all of a sudden, while the teams are in the layup lines, he jogs out like the freakin' Lone Ranger to save the day - the crowd goes insane (a standing ovation 10 minutes BEFORE the game started). People who were there swear that the Lakers all stopped their shoot-around to stare in disbelief. The Knicks all visibly stood up straighter, etc., etc. Frazier (I think) goes on to shoot the lights out and the Knicks win an amazing game to cap a amazing series.

I love hockey and the Cup run is certainly MY #1 all-time moment, but it's hard to argue with that ranking on the TV show.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
I thought the show didn't air yet? How do we know what's number 1?

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:31 PM
in the hall

they did have a private screening for season subscribers a few days ago at MSG

like chosen said, hockey fans will say 94.. it could go either way.. it's not something i really care about

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
I think it is a travesty that Ali/Frazier wasnt number one. You know Dolan wasnt going to allow anything but basketball to be number 1. Just like always we were let down

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:08 PM
crisb

Personally, I don't mind.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Fletch

I honestly cannot think...

of why it wouldn't be Ali/Frazier. 1994 was great for NY, and Rangers fans. Ali/Frazier, at that time, was huge worldwide and was talked about worldwide for years to come. It was on such a grander scale than the Rangers' win.

Now, if it was the greatest moments at MSG for New Yorkers, that would be a different story.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

So does that mean they can go back to having a post game show and not show these "50 Greatest Moment" countdowns???

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
It was on Channel 4 last night.

I have no problems with Willis Reed getting number 1 - that is the heroic playoff moment that all others are measured by although I can easily see the argument for Ali/Frazier on a world scale.

94 was the greatest time of my life as a fan, but I just can't see that edging out the other two honestly.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
So does that mean they can go back to having a post game show and not show these "50 Greatest Moment" countdowns???
I sure hope so...I'm so tired of seeing this stupid Greatest Moments nonsense.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote