HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Old
01-04-2014, 04:46 PM
manictech

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
Thank you...
Haha sorry just messing with you

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 09:58 PM
goodriddance628

I had bought a pair of Graf's in march of last year they where the G35 ultra, in the store they were the most comfortable skate I had tried on and I tried on all the Bauers and CCM pre RBZ, I have high arches and a wide foot and they just felt great had them baked and hit the ice a few days later. This is where it all went wrong for me, with my high arches and the Graf having a low cut boot they really dug in to my ankles to the point I had to quit skating in them, I tried re baking them punching them out but could not get rid of that spot on both skates, so I bought CCM RBZ 90's and they have been the best skates I've had since my CCM Super Tacks haha, I did manage to sell the Graf's off and recoupe some of the money

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:13 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
okay, here goes, the pictures of feet as advised. Please tell me if they are not correct, and thank you very much for the willingness to assist. Must say, first time I ever had to take pictures of my feet(looks kinda gross that close up)

There are 8 photos in total at the link below:

http://s854.photobucket.com/user/g04tm4n/library/

@Jazzykat, I will see if the manufacturer will be able to advise on that, as I would like to bake them myself, but I will only do it if I am certain I won't destroy the skates.
That's great thanks. So wide feet and wide heel with a moderately high instep is what I'm seeing. Without any other indication (and trust me, when I fit skates, I need more info than what the feet looks like lol but we'll have to compromise here) that would have me look at Supreme or CCM first. A Vapor EE width even, if you want to stick to what you know.

Size 7.5 would sound decent provided you get a skate wide enough to accommodate. Look at older models on clearance or something for something other than full sizes in R width.

Interestingly enough, I took centimeter measurements of my own feet (width at the widest part) and our measurements are virtually the same. I would take 7.5 EE in Supreme based on my heel and ankle shape, but absolutely EE width in any skate.

Why don't you link us to some models that might interest you as a next step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip39 View Post
Any thoughts on the easton rs2? I was really excited when a high end skate dropped into my price range and had my local store ship one over to try on. If I had not have known previously it seemed like a lower quality boot. In fact the bauer one.8 seems like a higher quality skate just by the feel of it and it's the same price now.
There's no such thing as the RS2 skate. Only the RS over two years. I would say RS is a slightly higher spec-ed (materials-wise) boot than the One.8 but performance and stiffness are about on par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Interestingly enough, you're not the first to suggest to me that Graf's customer service has gone downhill. Sad to hear, because I loved them.
Of course, I don't make stuff up haha. It's been like this for a few years.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
g04tm4n

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That's great thanks. So wide feet and wide heel with a moderately high instep is what I'm seeing. Without any other indication (and trust me, when I fit skates, I need more info than what the feet looks like lol but we'll have to compromise here) that would have me look at Supreme or CCM first. A Vapor EE width even, if you want to stick to what you know.

Size 7.5 would sound decent provided you get a skate wide enough to accommodate. Look at older models on clearance or something for something other than full sizes in R width.

Interestingly enough, I took centimeter measurements of my own feet (width at the widest part) and our measurements are virtually the same. I would take 7.5 EE in Supreme based on my heel and ankle shape, but absolutely EE width in any skate.

Why don't you link us to some models that might interest you as a next step?
Thank you so much for your assistance and effort. CCM is what I am trying to get away from, I do not like the feel of the skates, I prefer Bauer, and would also consider Easton, but I know absolutely nothing about easton skates. I am fairly sure that there is not a single Easton skate in my country.

What I am essentially looking for is an intermediate level skate, any one that would work best for me. if you have any suggestions, please advise?

Would EE not be slightly too wide in Supreme? I am off to the rink now for a free skate session, I will be using my CCM u+ 04 size 7 D. Usually I just tie them up very tight and ignore all the pressure points, I would rather skate than worry about a bit of pain. What I will do today is focus on exactly where the skate feels too tight, this might help, as I can then also measure with the footbed of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
Haha sorry just messing with you
lol :p

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:49 PM
MattGTI

Quick question-
I skate two nights a week(1 league, 1 pickup).
It's low level, and I am getting older, so I purchased
new skates last year. They are the Reebok White K model.
Say what you will, but they were the most comfortable in the price range, fit the best, and at a great price.
I really like them, and have nothing bad to say about them(other than they are a bit flashy for my taste).

I also play a decent amount of pond hockey, and backyard rink hockey.
I bought a pair of CCM 652 Super Tacks about 10 years ago(probably an 03/04) model.
I started using these finally last year for outdoor skates. They were extremely uncomfortable.
I figured it was a stiff boot, and just needed a lot of break in.
2 skates in- I took a puck off the right holder, and it shattered.
I had both holders replaced(as well as blades) for this season.
After skating today- they just feel horrible. Just awful, like I literally can't skate in them.
Looking into it, it seems they run small, and I feel like they are just "off"
in general. I hate them, my feet are killing, and I couldn't skate in them.
30+ years of pond skating, and it's never been this bad.

Sorry for the long story. Badically, it's always been drilled into my head that you have a pair of skates for the pond, and a pair for the rink(if you play regularly). Is this the basic rule of thumb still?
Also, with knowing nothing really about current skate models, I do plan on going and trying a bunch of skates on. However, are there any models people might recommend as strictly a pond skate?
Something that won't break the bake, but won't be absolute junk either.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give a backstory. Thanks for any insight.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:09 AM
althoma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Quick question-
I skate two nights a week(1 league, 1 pickup).
It's low level, and I am getting older, so I purchased
new skates last year. They are the Reebok White K model.
Say what you will, but they were the most comfortable in the price range, fit the best, and at a great price.
I really like them, and have nothing bad to say about them(other than they are a bit flashy for my taste).

I also play a decent amount of pond hockey, and backyard rink hockey.
I bought a pair of CCM 652 Super Tacks about 10 years ago(probably an 03/04) model.
I started using these finally last year for outdoor skates. They were extremely uncomfortable.
I figured it was a stiff boot, and just needed a lot of break in.
2 skates in- I took a puck off the right holder, and it shattered.
I had both holders replaced(as well as blades) for this season.
After skating today- they just feel horrible. Just awful, like I literally can't skate in them.
Looking into it, it seems they run small, and I feel like they are just "off"
in general. I hate them, my feet are killing, and I couldn't skate in them.
30+ years of pond skating, and it's never been this bad.

Sorry for the long story. Badically, it's always been drilled into my head that you have a pair of skates for the pond, and a pair for the rink(if you play regularly). Is this the basic rule of thumb still?
Also, with knowing nothing really about current skate models, I do plan on going and trying a bunch of skates on. However, are there any models people might recommend as strictly a pond skate?
Something that won't break the bake, but won't be absolute junk either.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give a backstory. Thanks for any insight.
I believe the steel on your CCM Tacks will work on the RBK skates. So instead of buying another pair of skates for the pond you could just use the CCM steel when you skate outside and use the RBK steel indoors.

The reason why people use different skates for the pond is that outdoor ice dulls blades faster since there is dirt in the ice. So if you use your indoor skates outside you'll want to sharpen them before going back indoors. If you do that a lot you'll shorten the lifespan of the steel. Instead you can swap the steel when you skate outdoors and the swap back before skating indoors again - it'll take you an extra 5-10 minutes, but you won't have to spend any more money.

althoma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:25 AM
MattGTI

I didn't even think of that. Wow.
The holders are identical, and the blades
Must be as well. Good call. Thank you!

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:09 AM
AcidBurn
Rookie User

Hello there At first, I would like to appologise for my poor english skills, i rly hope that u'll understand me So, I am considering to buy new ice hockey skates, but due to my location (Bulgaria), I have no chance to try them on my feet, nor to bake them afterwards. Back in the time when I was playing hockey, i was using Bauer Supreme 2000 (aye, it was some years ago ), so I rly want to stick to the Bauer skates. Now I am considering abut the Vapor (4.0?) series. I have a little wider feet, wearing 38 (EUR) size shoes, so I guess that 5 EE (for Vapor) will be good enough for me. What bothers me are mainly two things: 1) Is the Vapor good enough model for ppl with wider feet? 2) I prefer my skates to be a little tighter on the lower side of my ankle. I've read that the Vapor series are wider around the ankle, for aggressive stance support. Will it hold my ankle tight, despite of it's aggressive nature? Or I should search of a Supreme model?

Thanks in advance!
P.S. I rly love this thread You all did a great job!

AcidBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:53 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Thank you so much for your assistance and effort. CCM is what I am trying to get away from, I do not like the feel of the skates, I prefer Bauer, and would also consider Easton, but I know absolutely nothing about easton skates. I am fairly sure that there is not a single Easton skate in my country.

What I am essentially looking for is an intermediate level skate, any one that would work best for me. if you have any suggestions, please advise?

Would EE not be slightly too wide in Supreme? I am off to the rink now for a free skate session, I will be using my CCM u+ 04 size 7 D. Usually I just tie them up very tight and ignore all the pressure points, I would rather skate than worry about a bit of pain. What I will do today is focus on exactly where the skate feels too tight, this might help, as I can then also measure with the footbed of it.

lol :p
So after today, the same thing, struggling to get decent support out of the skates, have to tie them about 3 times, I use a lace hook to get them tight, because that is how tight I need to yank the laces for them to work okay. The skate feels slightly tight around the wider part of my foot, not exactly painful, but it feels tight. the Length seems okay on the skate, so I guess a size 7 in supreme should do? I also have some pain in the heel area of one of the skates, but I think that is due to how tightly I did the skates up. Does this not mean that an E size might be a bit too wide?

Old
01-05-2014, 09:04 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
Hello there At first, I would like to appologise for my poor english skills, i rly hope that u'll understand me So, I am considering to buy new ice hockey skates, but due to my location (Bulgaria), I have no chance to try them on my feet, nor to bake them afterwards. Back in the time when I was playing hockey, i was using Bauer Supreme 2000 (aye, it was some years ago ), so I rly want to stick to the Bauer skates. Now I am considering abut the Vapor (4.0?) series. I have a little wider feet, wearing 38 (EUR) size shoes, so I guess that 5 EE (for Vapor) will be good enough for me. What bothers me are mainly two things: 1) Is the Vapor good enough model for ppl with wider feet? 2) I prefer my skates to be a little tighter on the lower side of my ankle. I've read that the Vapor series are wider around the ankle, for aggressive stance support. Will it hold my ankle tight, despite of it's aggressive nature? Or I should search of a Supreme model?

Thanks in advance!
P.S. I rly love this thread You all did a great job!
Vapor is narrower in the ankle than Supreme is... V-shaped versus a rounder and deeper heel in the Supreme.

The 4.0 is a great skate, and it's not really a matter of being wide enough because we have absolutely no idea until you try them on.

Could you buy a Supreme and Vapor try them both on and return the one that doesn't fit as well?

Quote:
So after today, the same thing, struggling to get decent support out of the skates, have to tie them about 3 times, I use a lace hook to get them tight, because that is how tight I need to yank the laces for them to work okay. The skate feels slightly tight around the wider part of my foot, not exactly painful, but it feels tight. the Length seems okay on the skate, so I guess a size 7 in supreme should do? I also have some pain in the heel area of one of the skates, but I think that is due to how tightly I did the skates up. Does this not mean that an E size might be a bit too wide?
All of these questions you're asking now are purely relative to you and can't be answered until you try them on...

CCM changed their fit from your U+ series into RBZ. They changed their sizing scale too, so it adds another risk in finding the right size.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:09 AM
AcidBurn
Rookie User

Thanks for your quick and acurate response! Sadly i cannot buy them both, so i guess i will just have to take a chance and hope that i've made the right decision Which one would u suggest me, the Vapor X4.0 (X30 is equal to 4.0, right?), or the Supreme One.5 (or .6) ?

Last edited by AcidBurn: 01-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old
01-05-2014, 09:10 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:

All of these questions you're asking now are purely relative to you and can't be answered until you try them on...

CCM changed their fit from your U+ series into RBZ. They changed their sizing scale too, so it adds another risk in finding the right size.
that makes sense yes, but my measurements clearly indicate an E, and you also advised same according to the pictures, I guess what I meant to ask is, how big of a difference in width is there between an E and a D. How is the Easton Stealth 75s skate, I saw it on a clearance on one of the sites?

the "pro shop" here sell ccm, but only full sizes and D width, I will be able to fit them, but don't want them. That is the only skates they stock unfortunately.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Thanks for your quick and acurate response! Sadly i cannot buy them both, so i guess i will just have to take a chance and hope that i've made the right decision Which one would u suggest me, the Vapor X4.0 (X30 is equal to 4.0, right?), or the Supreme One.4 (or .5) ?
sorry for the double post, I see that they have the Vapor x 5.0 on clearance, they have a 7.5 D and a 7.5 EE available. So by the above, does this mean the x 5.0 = x40?

Old
01-05-2014, 09:41 AM
AcidBurn
Rookie User

Quote:
sorry for the double post, I see that they have the Vapor x 5.0 on clearance, they have a 7.5 D and a 7.5 EE available. So by the above, does this mean the x 5.0 = x40?
As far as i know they are basicaly the same, with just some slight differences between the colours and the footbed. Yet some ppl say that the "point" (4.0, 5.0) series are slightly better. Since I am a complete noob, i am looking forward for an expert answer ))

Old
01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
As far as i know they are basicaly the same, with just some slight differences between the colours and the footbed. Yet some ppl say that the "point" (4.0, 5.0) series are slightly better. Since I am a complete noob, i am looking forward for an expert answer ))
okay cool, I would go for the x 4.0, but it seems the size I might need is not in stock. I am struggling with the same issue as you due to location, I wish you the best of luck, as it really gets difficult at times.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:52 AM
AcidBurn
Rookie User

Quote:
okay cool, I would go for the x 4.0, but it seems the size I might need is not in stock. I am struggling with the same issue as you due to location, I wish you the best of luck, as it really gets difficult at times.
Thanks, mate! Best of luck to you too ) I bet we r on the right place and thanks to those guyz we'll get the best of what we r searching for

About the location issue - despite of the lack of posibility to try them, when I see those $60-$70 shipping cost + $20-40 import charges - it makes me wanna cry I hope it's at least cheaper for u! (Sorry for the spam, I just needed to whine about that )

Old
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Thanks for your quick and acurate response! Sadly i cannot buy them both, so i guess i will just have to take a chance and hope that i've made the right decision Which one would u suggest me, the Vapor X4.0 (X30 is equal to 4.0, right?), or the Supreme One.5 (or .6) ?
Why don't you do the same thing as our South African friend here and post some pictures of your feet. Refer to last page for how that came to be.

Quote:
that makes sense yes, but my measurements clearly indicate an E, and you also advised same according to the pictures, I guess what I meant to ask is, how big of a difference in width is there between an E and a D. How is the Easton Stealth 75s skate, I saw it on a clearance on one of the sites?

the "pro shop" here sell ccm, but only full sizes and D width, I will be able to fit them, but don't want them. That is the only skates they stock unfortunately.
The concept of 'D' being regular, 'E' being wide and 'EE' being wider regarding skates is arbitrary, in that it depends on the skate family. A Vapor D is a true 'D' last, Supreme D = true E and Nexus D = true EE. So a Supreme EE is wider than a Vapor EE. CCM D is also wider than Vapor D. Check out the very first post in the first thread where I go over all of this.

All in all, maybe you should narrow it down to either a Vapor or Supreme skate in 7.5 EE.

I've never seen the 75S and would recommend you stick to Bauer or CCM.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:

if you have a shop there that has CCM RBZ's I would go and try them on, like stated above the new RBZ line is a totally different fit from previous U+ series of skates. I wear a size 11 shoe wide, when I got my new RBZ's I got sized to a 8D I know that seems like a huge jump from my shoe size but the fit is great no hot spots and if you get 90's or above you can really benefit from having them baked, if your pro shop has the new RBZ's do your self a favor and try them on.

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddance628 View Post
if you have a shop there that has CCM RBZ's I would go and try them on, like stated above the new RBZ line is a totally different fit from previous U+ series of skates. I wear a size 11 shoe wide, when I got my new RBZ's I got sized to a 8D I know that seems like a huge jump from my shoe size but the fit is great no hot spots and if you get 90's or above you can really benefit from having them baked, if your pro shop has the new RBZ's do your self a favor and try them on.
I recommend not to get the RBZ skates if you have a narrow foot, I didn't have a good experience with them, I switched to Bauer Vapors and loved them. That's my opinion anyways.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:29 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
The concept of 'D' being regular, 'E' being wide and 'EE' being wider regarding skates is arbitrary, in that it depends on the skate family. A Vapor D is a true 'D' last, Supreme D = true E and Nexus D = true EE. So a Supreme EE is wider than a Vapor EE. CCM D is also wider than Vapor D. Check out the very first post in the first thread where I go over all of this.

All in all, maybe you should narrow it down to either a Vapor or Supreme skate in 7.5 EE.

I've never seen the 75S and would recommend you stick to Bauer or CCM.
Thank you very much for your assistance once again. I think I will go for the Vapor in EE. One more question, at the moment the Vapor x 5.0 is the same price as the Vapor x60. Would the 5.0 be a better option? On icewarehouse it says the Heritage of the x60 is the vapor x 3.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddance628 View Post
I will go have a look at which ones they have available. I cannot have them baked unless I bake them myself though.

Old
01-06-2014, 07:37 AM
boo10

The x5.0 is a significant upgrade over the x60.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 08:03 AM
AIREAYE

What boo said. Also, although I will never recommend home baking, special circumstances require us to be practical. Ice warehouse had a video on YouTube about home baking that you should find.

Old
01-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

Home baking is okay if you are familiar with both baking skates and knowing how to use an oven. If you don't have experience with either then don't try it at home.

Chau Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
g04tm4n

Thanks guys. If that is the case, Maybe I should go with something lower like the 3.0 if I can find it, the x 5.0 might be too high end for me.

I will only bake if absolutely necessary. And If I do decide to I will try it with a pair of skates that I have that I don't care for first.

Old
01-07-2014, 02:07 AM
vapor11

I would go with the 5.0 if you can.. Great skate

I have the 5.0 and 3.0 and there is a big difference between the 2..material and performance wise.. 5.0 have much more support and the quarter panel is a tech mesh plasticy feeling material as opposed to nylon..

If I wear my 3.0 in pickup IL be sucking wind on the bench at the end of every shift

Both are same size.. The 5.0 on left have more volume in the back

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote