HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grinding win accept it

Old
01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
HABS win CUPS*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASPHEMOUS View Post
I remember when I first went to the Bell Center back in 2010, there was a couple that were *****ing at each other behind me (nose bleed seats). She would yell things like "Score one for me Subbie!" (in french), and he would be like "Are you sleeping with him too or something!?!?!"

So eventually she got up, took off her coat, went to the front of the section and started doing a sexy dance for the nosebleeders. It was a very entertaining dance, damn she had a nice bod. Unfortunately I did not have a phone to record it
sounds like a good game

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
Emelin has played all last season on the left sidewith Markov, and he was awesome.

With Brière clicking with Plekky and Gionta, Habs have now two lines who can oroduce.

Eller has defensive missions and he is great at it.

I doubt Gallagher is suffering on the right wing with MaxPac and DD. He has more icetime than he can handle.

Galchenyuk is very young and still quite raw.

I don' t see much problem besides Bourque .
Emelin wasn't awesome next to Markov. But at least he used to check more. Also, Markov was able to carry him more so than this year. So his flaws were less visible to some. You can go back to posts from last year, I was mentioning the same flaws that are showing this year. But even if you want to think he was awesome last year (even if he wasn't), he isn't this year. And the team has been allowing a lot more goals since PK-Markov have been broken up. Not to mention, Therrien has the brilliant idea of making our 6-7th Dmen play together and scratch our #4 in Diaz. Great thinking!
Our D should be:
Markov-PK
Emelin-Diaz
Bouillon/Murray-Gorges

Plek with Gio-Briere, it's been 2 games, and Briere played for 12min. Maybe wait a bit more before claiming we have two producing lines.

Eller has defensive duties, and he is great at it. He also is pretty good when he's used in offensive duties, like last year and this year, on the EGG line.
Going into the POs last year, our strength was our depth. We had MaxPac on a career scoring pace being centered by DD. We had Plek with Gio-Ryder providing their scoring. And we had the EGG line completely dominating their opponents.
This year we're lucky if we get production from 2 lines. So no, things aren't as pretty as you try to make it seem.

Gallagher has like 3-4 goals in 23 games. In his first 19games he had 8 goals.
Galchenyuk is young, so? He could still be used better, and he's still our 2nd most productive winger despite getting the least ice time out of our top 6. Out of our top 9, only Briere has less ice time.

But this doesn't even touch the poor system we're currently playing.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If that's a solid team win, you should start watching the better teams in the NHL play to see what's actually a solid team win.

This was a boring game with the same problems we've had for most of the past 10 games +.
Our bottom pair on defense is just horrible. Emelin still is preferred benched than giving a chance on his natural side. We still have one line getting the bulk of our offensive opportunities. Nothing is being done to spark our young players that seem to be struggling more (Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Eller).
Our system of dumping the pick at every opportunity is nauseating.
And Price needed to grab one of the stars again to keep us in it.

This has nothing to do with being fans of x or y player.
Problem is that even if in the end you end up right, there's NOTHING that you would fix by playing Eller or Pleks in DD's role. It makes no sense to solely think that the entire problems that this team might have and WILL have come playoffs time, will be fixed with some interchangeable roles. There's too many contending things to fix, some players needs to go. A new group needs to come. And in the end, a coach will need to go too.

But we are winning and in contention right now. Might as well be happy with the wins.....without being fooled by it too.

One thing though....if DD would have a more sniping mentality....he'd be top 20 in scoring in the league. How many goals this guy misses is hallucinating.....but he keeps producing. And you know he's doing well when he misses a play, that ends up being a good looking goal. It would have never happent that way at the start of the year. I still wish we'd see Bourque on that line and see what happens so that I want to see the EGG line again.....in my lifetime.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

There are two things the Habs have to do to win a lot more games:

1) Win more faceoffs

2) Regain possession of the puck in their own end more often

When they achieve those two objectives they will win with their speed

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:21 PM
WeeBey

Barkov looks 35.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Emelin wasn't awesome next to Markov. But at least he used to check more. Also, Markov was able to carry him more so than this year. So his flaws were less visible to some. You can go back to posts from last year, I was mentioning the same flaws that are showing this year. But even if you want to think he was awesome last year (even if he wasn't), he isn't this year. And the team has been allowing a lot more goals since PK-Markov have been broken up. Not to mention, Therrien has the brilliant idea of making our 6-7th Dmen play together and scratch our #4 in Diaz. Great thinking!
Our D should be:
Markov-PK
Emelin-Diaz
Bouillon/Murray-Gorges

Plek with Gio-Briere, it's been 2 games, and Briere played for 12min. Maybe wait a bit more before claiming we have two producing lines.

Eller has defensive duties, and he is great at it. He also is pretty good when he's used in offensive duties, like last year and this year, on the EGG line.
Going into the POs last year, our strength was our depth. We had MaxPac on a career scoring pace being centered by DD. We had Plek with Gio-Ryder providing their scoring. And we had the EGG line completely dominating their opponents.
This year we're lucky if we get production from 2 lines. So no, things aren't as pretty as you try to make it seem.

Gallagher has like 3-4 goals in 23 games. In his first 19games he had 8 goals.
Galchenyuk is young, so? He could still be used better, and he's still our 2nd most productive winger despite getting the least ice time out of our top 6. Out of our top 9, only Briere has less ice time.

But this doesn't even touch the poor system we're currently playing.
Well said. Briere with Plekanec and Gionta is encouraging in their productivity but their underlying possession metrics aren't very good - the Plek line has given extremely difficult usage, which makes it somewhat understandable, but I'm not sure if we can expect every day production if they keep being given such a defensive assignment.

Eller has really picked it up defensively but we need to find a way to get the Gallys going offensively, and Eller can contribute more offensively.

But the first step is to fix the defense, this should be easy even with our flawed options.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:31 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm across the globe right now in Sri Lanka and my internet might be deceiving my eyes, but TSN.ca says Gionta, Desharnais scored goals AND the Habs beat the Panthers?

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
The Right Price

Two points are two points!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Problem is that even if in the end you end up right, there's NOTHING that you would fix by playing Eller or Pleks in DD's role. It makes no sense to solely think that the entire problems that this team might have and WILL have come playoffs time, will be fixed with some interchangeable roles. There's too many contending things to fix, some players needs to go. A new group needs to come. And in the end, a coach will need to go too.

But we are winning and in contention right now. Might as well be happy with the wins.....without being fooled by it too.

One thing though....if DD would have a more sniping mentality....he'd be top 20 in scoring in the league. How many goals this guy misses is hallucinating.....but he keeps producing. And you know he's doing well when he misses a play, that ends up being a good looking goal. It would have never happent that way at the start of the year. I still wish we'd see Bourque on that line and see what happens so that I want to see the EGG line again.....in my lifetime.
I agree to some degree. You're right, we're not a contender. Changing lines or roles won't fix that, I agree.
That being said, I do think our team could be completely different from changing players and roles around. No, I don't think it would turn us into a contender, but I do think it would make us stronger/better.

Right now, it's clear. We killed our depth.
We have one line getting the bulk of the offensive opportunities. We're being carried by them. The problem with that line is that it's also the most sheltered one. Ideally, you want your go-to line to be taking on the best opponents at the same time. That way the 2nd and 3rd lines can face weaker match ups and still dominate.
However we have Plekanec used as the main shutdown guy versus opponents. He's being used with 3rd liners, but they're getting big minutes. Plek being the solid player that he is, finds a way to still produce, but his linemates have a harder time. Not to mention, Plekanec has more 1 winger than two. He plays tough minutes with Gionta and Briere has limited ice time.
As for Eller's line, well the production was cut in half once Gallagher was moved away, and it got cut completely off when they removed Galchenyuk. Now for the past few games, Gally has been back on it, but his ice time has dropped significantly and that line is no longer counted on for offensive production. They don't even get PP time.

Last year, we had 3 lines that we could rely on to produce. We were 4th in league for GF/GP, we're 21st now. We had a great ES scoring ratio at 6th too and that was despite being average for GA/GP. This year, even though we're tied at #3 for GA/GP, we're just 16th for our ES ratio. Last year, we were 5th for GF at ES, this year we're 24th (there's 4 games separating us, but the difference is huge with 32goals).

It's pretty clear that our team is playing worse than it did last year offensively, despite no key players being lost or moved, unless you think Ryder's presence was that much important (I don't). And whatever loss there is created by him, Price's amazing play this year certainly makes up the difference.

So, what's different from our team??? Well, the lines and roles. Those are the major changes from last year. So ya, I fully believe that rearranging them would put us in a better position.
What I would have liked to see is what Galchenyuk can do centering a sheltered line getting top offensive chances. He was our leading winger and scorer as a forward (along with Plek) for a good while this year (and still is top 3). It would have been very interesting to see him center DD and MaxPac.
If not, then we should go back to what worked for us better last year. We looked like a solid team last year on our way up. This year we look like a one line team getting massive help from our goaltending.
If we had last year's scoring with this year's goaltending, we'd be 1st in the division and fighting for the top of the conference. No question about it. And I don't think there's a reason why this can't happen. But it won't happen with our current lines/roles.

And with that, who knows what deadline acquisition would have been made available to us. I mean this year, despite currently sitting at #3, we're still wondering whether or not we should sell some players. This could change with the team's players being re-organized.

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-07-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Adriatic

Boring game, same old same old. Still waiting for a trade to happen to somewhat change the make-up of this team a little.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I knew it!!

BrianWilde ‏@BWildeCTV 39m

Price confirms that he did tweak his groin a little in the first. #ch #habs
I think I saw the shot too. He didn't really show any pain but you can tell how he stretched out right leg to make save.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Andy

Habs have become a one-line team dependent on their goaltender because the coaching staff has decided that it be so.

Therrien has been lucky that Price has been on top of his game this year and given the habs a few Ws they probably shouldn't deserve, without them, the heat would definitely be on Therrien more than ever.

Outside of that 9-0-1 streak in which the team didn't look good for a chunk of the games, the Canadiens have been struggling to play .500 hockey all season long.

The PP hasn't looked good, but the coaching staff continues to be complacent. Boullion on the second wave has been atrocious, no adjustments made. It took Therrien forever to reunite Briere with Plekanec, a line that worked well previously, unacceptable for a team that struggled to produce offense, even if the line struggles at possession at even strength. Emelin on his off-side, the icetime allotted to Boullion etc etc.

This team is not a contender, but there is no way that they should struggle to produce and win in the way they have. There is decent offensive depth that is not being exploited because the coach is more content on seeing one line score.

If I can sum up the season so far in one word, it's DISAPPOINTED. Sure this team is performing better than teams in the past, but the expectations are different. Based on what was seen last year, this team has regressed, part of it because of the coaching staff, part of it because of management who was not able to acquire proper personnel to push the team a little bit forward.

Therrien coaches the team like it's 1998.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:14 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
No clue how Therrien made that.
Worked hard, played hard, played with authority, dumped it deep...

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:11 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He does. It's frustrating. And I don't like him as a coach.

But it's hard to expect anything different with the results he's had. We can see the holes, no doubt. But if he's winning games (and to be fair, we are doing well in the standings), it really is hard to expect change.

Change will happen when the other teams in the league really figure out that we do absolutely nothing except dump and chase. Teams will learn how to play against us and we'll be screwed. And in essence, so will Therrien.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:36 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
I agree to some degree. You're right, we're not a contender. Changing lines or roles won't fix that, I agree.
That being said, I do think our team could be completely different from changing players and roles around. No, I don't think it would turn us into a contender, but I do think it would make us stronger/better.

Right now, it's clear. We killed our depth.
We have one line getting the bulk of the offensive opportunities. We're being carried by them. The problem with that line is that it's also the most sheltered one. Ideally, you want your go-to line to be taking on the best opponents at the same time. That way the 2nd and 3rd lines can face weaker match ups and still dominate.
However we have Plekanec used as the main shutdown guy versus opponents. He's being used with 3rd liners, but they're getting big minutes. Plek being the solid player that he is, finds a way to still produce, but his linemates have a harder time. Not to mention, Plekanec has more 1 winger than two. He plays tough minutes with Gionta and Briere has limited ice time.
As for Eller's line, well the production was cut in half once Gallagher was moved away, and it got cut completely off when they removed Galchenyuk. Now for the past few games, Gally has been back on it, but his ice time has dropped significantly and that line is no longer counted on for offensive production. They don't even get PP time.

Last year, we had 3 lines that we could rely on to produce. We were 4th in league for GF/GP, we're 21st now. We had a great ES scoring ratio at 6th too and that was despite being average for GA/GP. This year, even though we're tied at #3 for GA/GP, we're just 16th for our ES ratio. Last year, we were 5th for GF at ES, this year we're 24th (there's 4 games separating us, but the difference is huge with 32goals).

It's pretty clear that our team is playing worse than it did last year offensively, despite no key players being lost or moved, unless you think Ryder's presence was that much important (I don't). And whatever loss there is created by him, Price's amazing play this year certainly makes up the difference.

So, what's different from our team??? Well, the lines and roles. Those are the major changes from last year. So ya, I fully believe that rearranging them would put us in a better position.
What I would have liked to see is what Galchenyuk can do centering a sheltered line getting top offensive chances. He was our leading winger and scorer as a forward (along with Plek) for a good while this year (and still is top 3). It would have been very interesting to see him center DD and MaxPac.
If not, then we should go back to what worked for us better last year. We looked like a solid team last year on our way up. This year we look like a one line team getting massive help from our goaltending.
If we had last year's scoring with this year's goaltending, we'd be 1st in the division and fighting for the top of the conference. No question about it. And I don't think there's a reason why this can't happen. But it won't happen with our current lines/roles.

And with that, who knows what deadline acquisition would have been made available to us. I mean this year, despite currently sitting at #3, we're still wondering whether or not we should sell some players. This could change with the team's players being re-organized.
Great post Kriss. Excellent analysis. The team really does seem to have regressed notwithstanding where they are in the standings which is largely due to Price. IMO, it all boils down to coaching.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:41 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The team gives up way too many scoring chances, and the d cannot handle any kind of forcheck. The breakout is lacking crispness and speed. I was watching the ducks play the other night, and I really envied their ability to make tape to tape passes, in full stride. This is something the habs should be able to do, and it was something we saw with much more regularity last year, and parts of this year during thewinning streak. Where has it gone?

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 06:01 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Habs have become a one-line team dependent on their goaltender because the coaching staff has decided that it be so.

Therrien has been lucky that Price has been on top of his game this year and given the habs a few Ws they probably shouldn't deserve, without them, the heat would definitely be on Therrien more than ever.

Outside of that 9-0-1 streak in which the team didn't look good for a chunk of the games, the Canadiens have been struggling to play .500 hockey all season long.

The PP hasn't looked good, but the coaching staff continues to be complacent. Boullion on the second wave has been atrocious, no adjustments made. It took Therrien forever to reunite Briere with Plekanec, a line that worked well previously, unacceptable for a team that struggled to produce offense, even if the line struggles at possession at even strength. Emelin on his off-side, the icetime allotted to Boullion etc etc.

This team is not a contender, but there is no way that they should struggle to produce and win in the way they have. There is decent offensive depth that is not being exploited because the coach is more content on seeing one line score.

If I can sum up the season so far in one word, it's DISAPPOINTED. Sure this team is performing better than teams in the past, but the expectations are different. Based on what was seen last year, this team has regressed, part of it because of the coaching staff, part of it because of management who was not able to acquire proper personnel to push the team a little bit forward.

More or less this. The whole Emelin playing on his wrong side is just maddening. Can't they at least try him with PK? When Emelin's at his best (which hasn't been for awhile) I think he can be a very solid top 4 guy.

Or if he's going to play with Gorges at least put Gorges on the right side. He did just fine there playing with Gill. Can't someone say something?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

But it's hard to expect anything different with the results he's had. We can see the holes, no doubt. But if he's winning games (and to be fair, we are doing well in the standings), it really is hard to expect change.

Change will happen when the other teams in the league really figure out that we do absolutely nothing except dump and chase. Teams will learn how to play against us and we'll be screwed. And in essence, so will Therrien.
This too. Therrien seemed to be doing well with matchups and lines last year but now not so hot.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post

Other teams already figured us out. Last season we were a team that transitioned out of our zone like a Ferrari, and scored a ton of goals as a result. Nobody saw it coming because Montreal had been a cautious defensive team under Martin, now suddenly we were busting into the neutral zone with crisp pass after pass. This season teams have put a stop to our fun. They've started rushing our defensemen, cutting off our passes and forcing mistakes. We have less time and room to create plays, clear the zone and control the neutral zone. And we're not big enough to punish them for committing so deep. Guys like Diaz and Bouillon, who flourished under a freer system, are hemmed in and pressured.

We've become a dump-and-chase team not by design, but by default, because the opposition has shoved us deeper into our zone and out of the neutral zone almost completely.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Canadiens were the better team for the first 40 minutes. Price secured the win in the third.

Emelin was the worst defender. Looks like he lost his mean streak the minute he signed that contract.

Also, Prust is playing stupid hockey right now. He creates too many turnovers trying the handle the puck. His job is to work on the boards, when he's not he's a liability.
DD...3.5
Bourque...approx.3.5?
Briere...4mil (for one more year)

Emelin...4.5mil/year...4-5 more years

Emelin will soon make us forget about DD, Bourque, Briere!!
(or add to it!!).

I'm ok with Emelin as our 5th-6th dman...but quite expensive for a 5th-6th if this is the case. Let's hope he doesn't forget how to be physical (game changing bodycheck + blocking shots).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Uber Coca

Seriously, this was one of the less boring Panthers game I've seen in a long time. 25 - 11 SOG in favor of Montreal after two with a lot of scoring opportunities. If that was boring well maybe you don't like hockey after all.

Also, this Panthers team looks very promising. I'd say that this version will take Florida out of this decade+ slump.

Finally, I don't like how this team has been playing for the last 15 - 20 games. It's far from what we saw last season in terms of execution but we need to remember that it's a long season and that only the best teams will maintain their pace thorough. So... I think it's important to look at the facts :

The team is currently third in the conference.
While playing like crap, they're still 5-3-2 in the last 10 games.

Yeah, I don't like everything Therrien is doing but he gets the job done. It's cool to bash him right now but this team has great chances of making the playoffs.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Can we sign 68 to a PTO? We need some of his alpha dog leadership

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
There are two things the Habs have to do to win a lot more games:

1) Win more faceoffs

2) Regain possession of the puck in their own end more often

When they achieve those two objectives they will win with their speed
You mean so the never lose another game - they are 25-14-5...not sure what you expect

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Canadiens were the better team for the first 40 minutes. Price secured the win in the third.

Emelin was the worst defender. Looks like he lost his mean streak the minute he signed that contract.

Also, Prust is playing stupid hockey right now. He creates too many turnovers trying the handle the puck. His job is to work on the boards, when he's not he's a liability.
Agreed 100%. Emelin and Prust have been playing terrible as of late. It's a little concerning, especially in Emelin's case who hasn't looked good at all this year.

I still would like to know why Bergevin felt he had to sign that Emelin extension without seeing him play a single game after major knee surgery

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

At least we came out on top and got the 2 points. Wow was that ever a boring game!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed 100%. Emelin and Prust have been playing terrible as of late. It's a little concerning, especially in Emelin's case who hasn't looked good at all this year.

I still would like to know why Bergevin felt he had to sign that Emelin extension without seeing him play a single game after major knee surgery
Had we waited and Emelin had a strong second-half of the season, he would've cost much more. The Cap is about to go up and a D like him will be a fortune. At least a D like him from last season.

Will he get back to where he was? I think it's a worthwhile gamble that he will. I'm sure Bergevin confirmed Emelin's knee was 100%, but then he gambled that his game would return to 100% and signed him cheaper, pre-UFA. I'll give Emelin until March for a fair assessment.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote