HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Official Ruff must go thread...

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2004, 03:19 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I see Ruff yelling and screaming a lot. I don't know what your watching.
The only time I have ever seen any yelling out of Ruff was when a ref made an obvious bad call that mad EVERYONE upset.

Quote:
With this roster, coming up with good line combinations is easier said than done. At least he's kept the Hecht-Briere-Dumont line together than practically any unit since he's been here......
ONE good line. Good for him. He's ruined talent all over the roster because he can't figure out who works well with who.

Quote:
That has a lot more to do with the players he's been given, IMO. This team hasn't had a real PP QB defenseman since Ruff has been here. And rarely have they had a guy that was willing to go tot he front of the net and the talent to do something once he's there.
The team had a PPQ when Delmore was here. What happened? The same thing that happens to every high goal scorer when they come to Buffalo under Ruff : They fail. (Barnes, Sanderson, Delmore, etc.)

Quote:
How many coaches come out after a loss and say that they were the reason the team lost?
I'm sure many more than the one we have in Buffalo.

Quote:
If anything, I see a coach that is at his wit's end with the players he's been dealt. Ruff has been practically begging for guys like Satan and Pyatt to get traded for guys that will actually work hard.
Well obviously if he can't get his guys motivated enough to get them to work hard then he's the problem. Jacques Lemaire never had a problem motivating his low-payroll team in MIN. The players don't listen to Ruff, and don't respect him because they don't think he has any control over them, which is true. They don't fear him at all.

Quote:
Maybe Ruff should get put out of his misery here. But, I don't see making a change behind the bench helping that much.
Well, losing every important game we play sure isn't working. So I don't think it could hurt getting rid of Ruff.

Old
01-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
The only time I have ever seen any yelling out of Ruff was when a ref made an obvious bad call that mad EVERYONE upset.
I guess Jim Bob and I watch different Lindy Ruffs

Quote:
ONE good line. Good for him. He's ruined talent all over the roster because he can't figure out who works well with who.
So what. Last year Barnes, Afinogenov and Satan had a great run, they fell apart, should he have kept them together? When Ruff gets a combo that sparks, he usually keeps them together. Usually they end up losing that spark after 4 or 5 games. Should he keep a line together that doesn't work? Maybe, maybe not. I'd lean towards not.

Quote:
The team had a PPQ when Delmore was here. What happened? The same thing that happens to every high goal scorer when they come to Buffalo under Ruff : They fail. (Barnes, Sanderson, Delmore, etc.)
Delmore a power play quarterback? Says who? Certainly not the management. Power play defenseman, yes. Shooter, yes. Quarterback, absolutely not.

Quote:
Sounds like a cop-out answer to me.

Quote:
Well obviously if he can't get his guys motivated enough to get them to work hard then he's the problem. Jacques Lemaire never had a problem motivating his low-payroll team in MIN. The players don't listen to Ruff, and don't respect him because they don't think he has any control over them, which is true. They don't fear him at all.
Though I basically agree with your point, you're passing off conjecture as fact. Do you spend a lot of time in that locker room, do you know the players don't respect Ruff?

Quote:
Well, losing every important game we play sure isn't working. So I don't think it could hurt getting rid of Ruff.
If "it can't get any worse" is your reasoning behind making any kind of personnel move, let alone something as major as a coaching change, you shouldn't be in a position to make those kinds of decisions.

Old
01-23-2004, 10:45 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

A) Have you seen Lindy working in practice? I've seen him yell a lot in just a little bit of practice time.

B) Since very few players have done well since leaving Buffalo, I have a hard time buying into the "Ruff ruins players" argument.

C) Like Ruckus said, Delmore isn't a PPQB. He's a shooter and that's it. He never had a Kimmo Timmonen PP QB to get him the puck like he had in Nashville.

And I'm sorry, but when was Stu Barnes a great goalscorer? Oh yeah, that one season where he was playing on a line with Mario Lemieux. I guess it's Ruff's fault the Sabres have never drafted a talent like Mario.

And I'm with Jim Kelley on Sanderson. The guy has never won anything anywhere.

And there is a reason that Delmore was dumped by the Flyers and Thrashers and cleared waivers. And it's not because "Ruff ruined him".

D) If you expect every Sabres coach to live up the standard that is set by Jacques Lemaire, then you are going to be extremely disappointed.

And what will your take be should Ruff get the axe and the next coach can't motivate this team?

E) I'd prefer to look for moves that help and not ones that merely "can't hurt". Waiving Delmore "couldn't hurt", but it hasn't helped either.

And I doubt Golisano is up for paying more money for a move that merely "can't hurt".

Old
01-23-2004, 02:54 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Well you two can enjoy having Ruff coaching the Sabres all you want. And you can also enjoy watching the Sabres play until early April and that's it.

Old
01-23-2004, 04:27 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
I see Ruff yelling and screaming a lot. I don't know what your watching.

With this roster, coming up with good line combinations is easier said than done. At least he's kept the Hecht-Briere-Dumont line together than practically any unit since he's been here......

That has a lot more to do with the players he's been given, IMO. This team hasn't had a real PP QB defenseman since Ruff has been here. And rarely have they had a guy that was willing to go tot he front of the net and the talent to do something once he's there.

How many coaches come out after a loss and say that they were the reason the team lost?

If anything, I see a coach that is at his wit's end with the players he's been dealt. Ruff has been practically begging for guys like Satan and Pyatt to get traded for guys that will actually work hard.

Maybe Ruff should get put out of his misery here. But, I don't see making a change behind the bench helping that much.

I think Keenan might help out a guy like Pyatt, but overall, I don't think Mike is the right fit for this team.

A guy like Marc Crawford or Bob Hartley would be a much better fit, IMO.
yeh i mean Ruff is an extremely hard working coach. i know that much.

Old
01-25-2004, 08:33 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Well you two can enjoy having Ruff coaching the Sabres all you want. And you can also enjoy watching the Sabres play until early April and that's it.
Ruff is the ONLY Sabres coach to coach past April with any kind of consistency.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

I'm actually not much of a Ruff fan, I just think you have a lot of misplaced criticisms.

Old
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
It is frustration talking. You could see good coaching last night, in that it was Ruff's breakdown of film that led the Sabres to be aggressive on the PK, and they got a few good scoring chances because of Kovalchuk having to play defense.

How can you on the one hand say Ruff should go, and then straight on to blaming the core of the team?
It is a atmosphere of failure here now. Ruff can't get their attention and certain players seem comfortable witht the status quo. These players represent the leadership component as they are the senior veterans who also get the majority of time. Sometimes addition is done by subtraction.

Ruff's job, first and foremost, is to get the best out of what he has available. I have rarely seen that since 99.

Old
01-28-2004, 01:40 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter
It is a atmosphere of failure here now. Ruff can't get their attention and certain players seem comfortable witht the status quo. These players represent the leadership component as they are the senior veterans who also get the majority of time. Sometimes addition is done by subtraction.

Ruff's job, first and foremost, is to get the best out of what he has available. I have rarely seen that since 99.
An atmosphere of failure? Do you actually hang out in the locker room? Did you notice the lack of quit against Carolina? Did you notice that we've won 3 of the last 4, and outplayed Philly?

Sometimes addition is done by subtraction. As you noted, some players are playing sub par. Has Ruff got Satan's attention? How many more times can he call him out? Has Ruff got Brown's attention? Playing with Mair and Peters should, unless he's stupid. So subtract those players.

What has Ruff available? He's gotten contributions from Bartovic, Roy, Botterill, Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Peters, Boulton, Mair and Kotalik. That's a significant part of the roster that is comprised of AHL players.

What leadership component? Why do you think Ruff went to rotating captains?

Closed Thread