HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2014, 11:20 AM
  #76
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD13 View Post
Excellent chemistry with Getzlaf and Perry during his stint in ANA. Also looked great with Selanne. He's a perfect complementary player.
Then he should stay in the NHL, he has no place on this team.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
  #77
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,946
vCash: 1026
Carter, Duchene, and Kunitz make the team, yet no Hall, Giroux, or MSL? Wow...

The Nuge is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
  #78
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Posted this in the other thread but it should be here.

No Giroux, no MSL, no Hall.
But somehow we have Nash, Carter, and Kunitz!

This is exactly how Canada fails to leverage its talent pool and lets other countries close the talent gap. Canada still has the best team on paper, but it's much closer than it should be. They pick the team conservatively instead of going for the jugular and running 4 supremely talented lines.
Add to that picking Defensemen because they are left handed. Just braindead

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
  #79
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Carter, Duchene, and Kunitz make the team, yet no Hall, Giroux, or MSL? Wow...
And Nash and Marleau, just stupid.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
  #80
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Also: Hall has out produced Duchene significantly over the past 3 years, so why take a C and force them to play out of position while not taking a more productive player that actually is a LW?
Reverse the team records and I'd wager Hall and Duchene would be swapped.

Hall doesn't deserve it though.

He was crap at the world championships the last 2 years. Started the year like crap.. got hurt... again.

Then finally in December he turns back into the guy we all love.
Just too little too late. If he ran amook at the Worlds last year he'd probably be forgiven his teams putrid record and his mediocre start to the season.

Lacaar is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
  #81
yukoner88
Registered User
 
yukoner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dawson City, YT
Posts: 2,654
vCash: 500
They just mentioned Hall "If he played on a better team things could have been different"

Kinda figured the Oilers track record (or lack of it) of the last few years would play a major factor

yukoner88 is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
  #82
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,453
vCash: 500
What a bunch of terrible picks... Ugh.

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
  #83
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor
 
subnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PacNW
Country: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 144
it's ok that Hall's not there - this way he can be well rested for the playoff push...

subnet is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
  #84
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
They just mentioned Hall "If he played on a better team things could have been different"

Kinda figured the Oilers track record (or lack of it) of the last few years would play a major factor
Why?

Could he score MORE points?

He's the best natural LW in Canada, bar none.

belair is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
  #85
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Either way I don't think I can cheer for a team with Duchene on it. The guy is a *****.
The thing I've never liked about Duchene is that while he's a supremely talented puckhandler and can come up with some highlight reel goals, he's also one of the worst puck hogs you will ever see at the NHL level. He's very selfish, and you could see when Hall and Duchene were linemates at the WHC that they just didn't mesh well at all.

That's not meant to excuse Hall's lack of production at the WHC, he deserved a good portion of the flack he received...but being stuck with Duchene sure didn't do him any favours.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
  #86
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
No Giroux, no MSL, no Hall.
But somehow we have Nash, Carter, and Kunitz!

This is exactly how Canada fails to leverage its talent pool and lets other countries close the talent gap. Canada still has the best team on paper, but it's much closer than it should be. They pick the team conservatively instead of going for the jugular and running 4 supremely talented lines.
I totally agree with this. With the talent pool available, there is honestly no need to make distinguished "scoring lines" and "checking lines", because the C and D are such great scorers and solid defensive players that they will win the majority of their matchups anyway. Whatever line Crosby is on can rip it up on offence and shut down the other team's best players, same goes for Getzlaf's line, same for Toews. No reason to leave behind so many great offensive natural wingers when the team is so loaded at C and D. People talk about Hall being "too risky" for this roster, but I have little worry that he would be a liability defensively because:
1) Playing for the Oilers makes his all around game seem worse than it really is.
2) His linemates would be great all-around players to help cover for any mistakes he did make.
3) Hall makes WAY more good plays than bad ones: people just like to focus on the bad and not always give credit where credit is due for good plays.
4) He wouldn't have to carry his linemates like he does on a nightly basis with the Oilers, and less individual pressure=fewer mistakes.

With that said though, I'm not one to cheer against Canada based on certain players being/not being selected, so I'll be rooting for them the whole way.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
  #87
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,946
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And Nash and Marleau, just stupid.
I don't mind those 2 as much because they're big veterans than can produce, and there's not really anyone I'd decisively take over them (assuming you swap the other 3). I'd definitely take Giroux/Hall/MSL over those 5 though

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
  #88
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Welp its kind of sad that I am going to have to watch a roster I would not take represent Canada again. I think its going to look the same as the world junoirs we went safe and will look good early but when push comes to shove we will lose.

N5991989 is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
  #89
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
There aren't many illogical picks if any; even if I didn't like the inclusion of Marleau or Carter all that much I can understand the reasoning behind the choices there. Glad to see the inclusion of great young players like Duchene, Subban, Tavares (Stamkos is right there in age, but he's automatic -- can't believe he's only 22).

Feel for Hall, but I hope there's enough maturity there to understand his game still needs rounding and polishing. He should merit plenty of consideration in the next Olympics.

Shizuka is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
  #90
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
The thing I've never liked about Duchene is that while he's a supremely talented puckhandler and can come up with some highlight reel goals, he's also one of the worst puck hogs you will ever see at the NHL level. He's very selfish, and you could see when Hall and Duchene were linemates at the WHC that they just didn't mesh well at all.

That's not meant to excuse Hall's lack of production at the WHC, he deserved a good portion of the flack he received...but being stuck with Duchene sure didn't do him any favours.
No kidding. Duchene played well at the WHC last May, but my god did he ever display some severe tunnel vision.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
  #91
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,914
vCash: 1000
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...sidney-crosby/

some insight into why they can not have Sid the Kid and claude Giroux on the same team

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
  #92
yukoner88
Registered User
 
yukoner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dawson City, YT
Posts: 2,654
vCash: 500
Duthie is an awkward interviewer

yukoner88 is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
  #93
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...sidney-crosby/

some insight into why they can not have Sid the Kid and claude Giroux on the same team
I doubt it.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  #94
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Seems like the only criticism Kunitz gets for being on the team this team is because he plays with Crosby on Pittsburgh and nothing to do with his actual skill set or recent play.

So where is all the criticism for Bouwmeester being on this team? How are those two situations not similar...

Musashi is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  #95
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't mind those 2 as much because they're big veterans than can produce, and there's not really anyone I'd decisively take over them (assuming you swap the other 3). I'd definitely take Giroux/Hall/MSL over those 5 though
As "veterans" you take them over MSL? Yeah, those 2 are awful picks. Shows how much "Hockey People" overrate Marleau, Nash and Carter.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  #96
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow
 
sVpph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 406
vCash: 665
Here is how I see the lines looking like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos
Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Tavares
Marleau-Bergeron-Nash
Benn
Carter

Keith-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Doughty
Subban
Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Smith

Instead of Carter I'd rather have Giroux, but otherwise I'm fine (for the most part) with the other decisions.

sVpph is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
  #97
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 500
I think I understand the reasoning for some of the bigger bodies.

I honestly don't think the big ice surface is what they need to prepare for.

They need to prepare for some of the nastiest defensive trap systems players will ever face.

This tournament is made for defensive schemas that even skill disparity and leave games to puck luck.

To break these trap schemes down you need players that are familiar with each other and take the puck to the net like it's nobodies business. Dump and chase and grind.

Lacaar is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
  #98
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Reverse the team records and I'd wager Hall and Duchene would be swapped.

Hall doesn't deserve it though.

He was crap at the world championships the last 2 years. Started the year like crap.. got hurt... again.

Then finally in December he turns back into the guy we all love.
Just too little too late. If he ran amook at the Worlds last year he'd probably be forgiven his teams putrid record and his mediocre start to the season.
correct me if I'm wrong but Hall only ever played in the 1 world championships right? One tournament where there was an obvious bad fit with his centre is enough to ignore the production he has brought in the NHL? On a team where everyone involved is talking about speed speed and more speed and Hall doesn't even get a sniff? It's ridiculous that he didn't get more consideration than he did. Whether he made the team or not he should have been in more discussions.

missinthejets is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
  #99
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Only big issue I have is Kunitz over a guy like Giroux.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
  #100
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Seems like the only criticism Kunitz gets for being on the team this team is because he plays with Crosby on Pittsburgh and nothing to do with his actual skill set or recent play.

So where is all the criticism for Bouwmeester being on this team? How are those two situations not similar...
You're ignoring LD/RD needs.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.