HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD13 View Post
Excellent chemistry with Getzlaf and Perry during his stint in ANA. Also looked great with Selanne. He's a perfect complementary player.
Then he should stay in the NHL, he has no place on this team.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Carter, Duchene, and Kunitz make the team, yet no Hall, Giroux, or MSL? Wow...

Old
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Posted this in the other thread but it should be here.

No Giroux, no MSL, no Hall.
But somehow we have Nash, Carter, and Kunitz!

This is exactly how Canada fails to leverage its talent pool and lets other countries close the talent gap. Canada still has the best team on paper, but it's much closer than it should be. They pick the team conservatively instead of going for the jugular and running 4 supremely talented lines.
Add to that picking Defensemen because they are left handed. Just braindead

Old
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Carter, Duchene, and Kunitz make the team, yet no Hall, Giroux, or MSL? Wow...
And Nash and Marleau, just stupid.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Lacaar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Also: Hall has out produced Duchene significantly over the past 3 years, so why take a C and force them to play out of position while not taking a more productive player that actually is a LW?
Reverse the team records and I'd wager Hall and Duchene would be swapped.

Hall doesn't deserve it though.

He was crap at the world championships the last 2 years. Started the year like crap.. got hurt... again.

Then finally in December he turns back into the guy we all love.
Just too little too late. If he ran amook at the Worlds last year he'd probably be forgiven his teams putrid record and his mediocre start to the season.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
yukoner88

They just mentioned Hall "If he played on a better team things could have been different"

Kinda figured the Oilers track record (or lack of it) of the last few years would play a major factor

Old
01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
DousedInOil

What a bunch of terrible picks... Ugh.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 144
it's ok that Hall's not there - this way he can be well rested for the playoff push...

Old
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
They just mentioned Hall "If he played on a better team things could have been different"

Kinda figured the Oilers track record (or lack of it) of the last few years would play a major factor
Why?

Could he score MORE points?

He's the best natural LW in Canada, bar none.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Either way I don't think I can cheer for a team with Duchene on it. The guy is a *****.
The thing I've never liked about Duchene is that while he's a supremely talented puckhandler and can come up with some highlight reel goals, he's also one of the worst puck hogs you will ever see at the NHL level. He's very selfish, and you could see when Hall and Duchene were linemates at the WHC that they just didn't mesh well at all.

That's not meant to excuse Hall's lack of production at the WHC, he deserved a good portion of the flack he received...but being stuck with Duchene sure didn't do him any favours.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
No Giroux, no MSL, no Hall.
But somehow we have Nash, Carter, and Kunitz!

This is exactly how Canada fails to leverage its talent pool and lets other countries close the talent gap. Canada still has the best team on paper, but it's much closer than it should be. They pick the team conservatively instead of going for the jugular and running 4 supremely talented lines.
I totally agree with this. With the talent pool available, there is honestly no need to make distinguished "scoring lines" and "checking lines", because the C and D are such great scorers and solid defensive players that they will win the majority of their matchups anyway. Whatever line Crosby is on can rip it up on offence and shut down the other team's best players, same goes for Getzlaf's line, same for Toews. No reason to leave behind so many great offensive natural wingers when the team is so loaded at C and D. People talk about Hall being "too risky" for this roster, but I have little worry that he would be a liability defensively because:
1) Playing for the Oilers makes his all around game seem worse than it really is.
2) His linemates would be great all-around players to help cover for any mistakes he did make.
3) Hall makes WAY more good plays than bad ones: people just like to focus on the bad and not always give credit where credit is due for good plays.
4) He wouldn't have to carry his linemates like he does on a nightly basis with the Oilers, and less individual pressure=fewer mistakes.

With that said though, I'm not one to cheer against Canada based on certain players being/not being selected, so I'll be rooting for them the whole way.

Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And Nash and Marleau, just stupid.
I don't mind those 2 as much because they're big veterans than can produce, and there's not really anyone I'd decisively take over them (assuming you swap the other 3). I'd definitely take Giroux/Hall/MSL over those 5 though

N5991989
Oilers Fan

Welp its kind of sad that I am going to have to watch a roster I would not take represent Canada again. I think its going to look the same as the world junoirs we went safe and will look good early but when push comes to shove we will lose.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Shizuka

There aren't many illogical picks if any; even if I didn't like the inclusion of Marleau or Carter all that much I can understand the reasoning behind the choices there. Glad to see the inclusion of great young players like Duchene, Subban, Tavares (Stamkos is right there in age, but he's automatic -- can't believe he's only 22).

Feel for Hall, but I hope there's enough maturity there to understand his game still needs rounding and polishing. He should merit plenty of consideration in the next Olympics.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
The thing I've never liked about Duchene is that while he's a supremely talented puckhandler and can come up with some highlight reel goals, he's also one of the worst puck hogs you will ever see at the NHL level. He's very selfish, and you could see when Hall and Duchene were linemates at the WHC that they just didn't mesh well at all.

That's not meant to excuse Hall's lack of production at the WHC, he deserved a good portion of the flack he received...but being stuck with Duchene sure didn't do him any favours.
No kidding. Duchene played well at the WHC last May, but my god did he ever display some severe tunnel vision.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...sidney-crosby/

some insight into why they can not have Sid the Kid and claude Giroux on the same team

Old
01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
yukoner88

Duthie is an awkward interviewer

Old
01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...sidney-crosby/

some insight into why they can not have Sid the Kid and claude Giroux on the same team
I doubt it.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Musashi

Seems like the only criticism Kunitz gets for being on the team this team is because he plays with Crosby on Pittsburgh and nothing to do with his actual skill set or recent play.

So where is all the criticism for Bouwmeester being on this team? How are those two situations not similar...

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't mind those 2 as much because they're big veterans than can produce, and there's not really anyone I'd decisively take over them (assuming you swap the other 3). I'd definitely take Giroux/Hall/MSL over those 5 though
As "veterans" you take them over MSL? Yeah, those 2 are awful picks. Shows how much "Hockey People" overrate Marleau, Nash and Carter.

Old
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow

vCash: 665
Here is how I see the lines looking like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos
Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Tavares
Marleau-Bergeron-Nash
Benn
Carter

Keith-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Doughty
Subban
Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Smith

Instead of Carter I'd rather have Giroux, but otherwise I'm fine (for the most part) with the other decisions.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Lacaar

I think I understand the reasoning for some of the bigger bodies.

I honestly don't think the big ice surface is what they need to prepare for.

They need to prepare for some of the nastiest defensive trap systems players will ever face.

This tournament is made for defensive schemas that even skill disparity and leave games to puck luck.

To break these trap schemes down you need players that are familiar with each other and take the puck to the net like it's nobodies business. Dump and chase and grind.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Reverse the team records and I'd wager Hall and Duchene would be swapped.

Hall doesn't deserve it though.

He was crap at the world championships the last 2 years. Started the year like crap.. got hurt... again.

Then finally in December he turns back into the guy we all love.
Just too little too late. If he ran amook at the Worlds last year he'd probably be forgiven his teams putrid record and his mediocre start to the season.
correct me if I'm wrong but Hall only ever played in the 1 world championships right? One tournament where there was an obvious bad fit with his centre is enough to ignore the production he has brought in the NHL? On a team where everyone involved is talking about speed speed and more speed and Hall doesn't even get a sniff? It's ridiculous that he didn't get more consideration than he did. Whether he made the team or not he should have been in more discussions.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Only big issue I have is Kunitz over a guy like Giroux.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Seems like the only criticism Kunitz gets for being on the team this team is because he plays with Crosby on Pittsburgh and nothing to do with his actual skill set or recent play.

So where is all the criticism for Bouwmeester being on this team? How are those two situations not similar...
You're ignoring LD/RD needs.

Closed Thread