HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux not selected to Team Canada.

Old
01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
As much as I despise Crosby, I doubt he had any say in Giroux not making the team
I doubt that very much. Star players get their way. Just look at the dream team for example.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I sincerely doubt Crosby had any pull in the decisions....now if Pierre was in Yzerman's seat...then yeah..the entire Pitt team would be selected

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:58 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHoff View Post
Kunitz played well with Perry and Getzlaf in the past as well. It's the Nash selection that really has me scratching my head...
I guess you haven't seen him in international play then... He's probably one of the best available for us.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I guess you haven't seen him in international play then... He's probably one of the best available for us.
maybe years ago and that was at what the world championships? what a legit tournament that is

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
The way I see it, Duchene is the guy who was picked over Giroux. Nash was going to be there--like it or not, he performed well in 2010, and HC was going to bring some guys with size and speed.

So its basically,

- Duchene over Giroux and MSL
- Carter over Neal
- Nash over Neal, Lucic, etc.

Duchene has world-class skating. It is a defensible choice on the big ice.
It wasn't Duchene; I bet it was Carter. Positionally, Giroux was going to be a centre or a right wing. If Giroux isn't on the top three lines, he isn't going to be relied on as a "checking" forward.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Carter
Benn-Bergeron-Nash(?)
Duchene-Tavares

In theory, Sharp could play RW and Benn/Nash could be the odd man out in favour of Duchene/Tavares.

01-07-2014, 01:02 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I doubt that very much. Star players get their way. Just look at the dream team for example.

It is very unlikely that Crosby had any say in any selection.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
Damn, that's hard to watch. G clearly wanted to be on the team. Good for him remaining classy.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Hextall4GM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruP_z6VzB6M

Hextall4GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
It wasn't Duchene; I bet it was Carter. Positionally, Giroux was going to be a centre or a right wing. If Giroux isn't on the top three lines, he isn't going to be relied on as a "checking" forward.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Carter
Benn-Bergeron-Nash(?)
Duchene-Tavares

In theory, Sharp could play RW and Benn/Nash could be the odd man out in favour of Duchene/Tavares.
I think Tavares will be in the top 6.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Carter
Benn-Bergeron-Nash(?)
Duchene-Tavares

What makes you so certain?

I think Carter was on the team for a while--I think Marleau got Couture's spot. Giroux was never likely to make the team with an eye toward playing Center--not with the other guys who were locks.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
What makes you so certain?

I think Carter was on the team for a while--I think Marleau got Couture's spot. Giroux was never likely to make the team with an eye toward playing Center--not with the other guys who were locks.
I'm not certain, but I think Giroux was competing for a RW spot. I doubt Duchene will play anything other than LW, so they weren't in a position to be selected over each other.

Giroux wasn't going to play a shutdown role, so it makes sense to me. He wasn't making it over Perry or Stamkos, so it came down to whether or not Canada wanted him over Carter or as the 4th RW (in my opinion).

Also: Sharp and Nash can play either side, and both are thought of as competent defensively, so I think that gave them both an edge over others. Nash has played well for Canada and Hockey Canada favours that, too.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 01-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Curufinwe

Nash has really struggled after that concussion, though.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

nash probably doesn't even make it in my top 50 players

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Nash scored 2 goals in 2010 Olympics.

What am I missing here?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

^

The Richards-Toews-Nash line was excellent in the 2010 tournament.

Hockey Canada likes Nash; that's all you need to "get".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Nash has really struggled after that concussion, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
nash probably doesn't even make it in my top 50 players

Yeah, he wouldn't be on my team, either.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I'm not certain, but I think Giroux was competing for a RW spot. I doubt Duchene will play anything other than LW, so they weren't in a position to be selected over each other.

Giroux wasn't going to play a shutdown role, so it makes sense to me. He wasn't making it over Perry or Stamkos, so it came down to whether or not Canada wanted him over Carter or as the 4th RW (in my opinion).

Also: Sharp and Nash can play either side, and both are thought of a competent defensively, so I think that gave them both an edge over others. Nash has played well for Canada and Hockey Canada favours that, too.
I don't think we are disagreeing on much--I said Nash was pretty much of a lock from the start, based on his past with HC. I don't think Carter and Giroux were competing for the same spot.

Duchene is pretty clearly not being selected as a defensive forward either. You're suggesting that because he's LH, he'll be playing LW, which is reasonable--though I don't believe he's played much wing in the NHL. I was suggesting that since Giroux has played wing a bit in the NHL, he was more suited to make the shift (he is also capable of playing the PK (if needed). As I said, I think the selection is defensible based on Duchene's game-breaking speed on the big ice, but I still think that's the slot that Giroux didn't get--a smaller, playmaking center who's skillset was well-suited to move to the wing.

I think I'm less surprised that Giroux didn't make it than most, and, as I said before, I think the Flyers might be better off for it--though of course that doesn't do anything to assuage his disappointment.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
^

The Richards-Toews-Nash line was excellent in the 2010 tournament.

Hockey Canada likes Nash; that's all you need to "get".

Yeah, he wouldn't be on my team, either.
Well Toews is one of the best players in the league, maybe it was more him than Nash.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
AtlasRust

Nash is a career bum, and Kunitz should be praising Sid because there's no way he ever gets looked at without him. For ****s sake, this is Team Canada not Team Crosby. If I was Stevie Y, I'd never be able to look MSL in the eyes. If I was MSL, I'd request a trade.

Travesty.

AtlasRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
I don't think we are disagreeing on much--I said Nash was pretty much of a lock from the start, based on his past with HC. I don't think Carter and Giroux were competing for the same spot.

Duchene is pretty clearly not being selected as a defensive forward either. You're suggesting that because he's LH, he'll be playing LW, which is reasonable--though I don't believe he's played much wing in the NHL. I was suggesting that since Giroux has played wing a bit in the NHL, he was more suited to make the shift (he is also capable of playing the PK (if needed). As I said, I think the selection is defensible based on Duchene's game-breaking speed on the big ice, but I still think that's the slot that Giroux didn't get--a smaller, playmaking center who's skillset was well-suited to move to the wing.

I think I'm less surprised that Giroux didn't make it than most, and, as I said before, I think the Flyers might be better off for it--though of course that doesn't do anything to assuage his disappointment.
Pretty much; it's harder for a LH shot to play RW if he doesn't have much experience on wing, especially in the defensive zone where playing to your forehand on the boards closes you from the rest of the ice.

I'm not surprised at all that he was left off; at least he can't be injured in a game during the Olympics now, which is what I fear for Kimmo and Streit.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I wonder if crosby played a role in girouxs snub
He's a crybaby but this would take it to another level. I can't stand the guy like many here but I can't imagine he'll put his own ego above the Canadian squad.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
pspot

maybe a shot across the bow of Giroux for when he replaces Stamkos

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:38 PM
flyershockey

Crosby had nothing to do with Giroux not making the team. Just stop.

I wouldn't be surprised to here that he made a case for Kunitz though.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Feel for G but at the same time, Tbh, Im kind of glad he is not going. There are a lot of suicide bombings going on over there by Islamist terrorists in protest of the Olympic games being played there. I'd rather he stay out of that bat **** crazy country and rest up for the rest of our season. It really is a joke that a guy like Kunitz and Nash made the team. Oh well.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
These guys do go out in public and people do see stuff..I have personally. But yeah to speculate CONCLUSIVELY whether it is the cause for poor play or whatever should be avoided but I see no problem with people with bringing it up necessarily. Sadly though off-ice stuff does sometimes impact play...we learned about Hartnell's divorce afterwards from Holmgren saying it impacted him that one season and there have been plenty of other instances..heck even Holmgren during the Lupul and Upshall days made public pronouncements about showing better preparation and commitment off the ice. It is fair game as much as people get annoyed by the speculation...which I agree can be very specious at times.
Very good post.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:42 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Feel for G but at the same time, Tbh, Im kind of glad he is not going. There are a lot of suicide bombings going on over there by Islamist terrorists in protest of the Olympic games being played there. I'd rather he stay out of that bat **** crazy country and rest up for the rest of our season. It really is a joke that a guy like Kunitz and Nash made the team. Oh well.
Did not see that coming.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote