HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux not selected to Team Canada.

Old
01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
He doesn't win gold at Olympics, but hoist lord Stanley instead

Kunitz is surprising. If he plays with Crosby he will be fine. If he moves on lines, we shall see how that plays.

I think subban in over sea brook is a big mistake. Don't get the love for subban. Never will.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Feel for G but at the same time, Tbh, Im kind of glad he is not going. There are a lot of suicide bombings going on over there by Islamist terrorists in protest of the Olympic games being played there. I'd rather he stay out of that bat **** crazy country and rest up for the rest of our season. It really is a joke that a guy like Kunitz and Nash made the team. Oh well.
Not true at all.

It's a conflicht between chechens and the russian government. This is their way of "protest".

Edit: Yes, the asssassins may be Islamic oriented but it's a political conflict instead of a religious one. Still sad.

Back to topic.

Last edited by BackWithaVengeance: 01-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.
BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
My thoughts on this is basically:

If he had made the team I would have had a hard time cheering against Canada for the lone fact that I want Giroux to be successful, but now I hope they don't even medal (sorry canadian Flyers fans).

USA needs to win gold now

I am Canadian and was very excited for this tournament. But cheering for Crosby and Kunitz makes my stomach turn, especially with G not there.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
I wonder if a player has ever turned down the call to come as an injury replacement. Personally I played high school basketball and was a starting guard. Coach told me I would get be benched this game since I didn't come to practise( I was sick). The game was getting bad they asked me to go in I refused. Out of anger and resentment. Wonder if Giroux has a similar feeling.
I don't think you understand how an elite athlete's mind works.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Not true at all.

It's a conflicht between chechens and the russian government. This is their way of "protest".
Oh, my misunderstanding then. Still, it's a dangerous place to be.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

A line of sharp- toews- Nash will be sick.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:51 PM
pspot

Quote:
Not true at all.

also 650 KMs from Sochi

if it wasn't for the media the two wouldn't be related

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Garbage Goal

I don't really care about the Olympics, but these selections are nonsensical. Not even just for Canada either, but across the board really. There were snubs for pretty much every major team and the two biggest name teams (USA and Canada) had the biggest ones.

Pretty clear to me at least there's a lot of favoritism going on in those selections. Aside from that they seem to be wanting to build it like an NHL team with being able to grind out wins and bang their way around the ice for some reason (especially with the Rick Nash selection and like half the USA forwards). Problem with that is that this is bigger ice so that type of play doesn't shine as well here and they also don't have the restrictions an NHL team does so you can't build a team the same way. Each team has the ability to pick the best of their countrymen to their team so considering that and the big ice they should really just be icing the most skilled lineup possible with maybe a "shutdown" line and some two-way and face-off ability.

Giroux definitely deserves it over Nash at the very, very least.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Not true at all.

Chechens are mostly Muslim, and I'm pretty sure there's a clear divide among them between groups that seek independence via valid political channels and those who consider it a jihad. Al Qaeda apparently has a growing presence there and Russia says Chechnya attracts a lot of foreign extremists. Combine that with the Olympic games, and the recipe is a bit dangerous. Hopefully Russia has their security on point.

01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Oh, my misunderstanding then. Still, it's a dangerous place to be.
Very true.

BTW, I edited my post. We both were right somehow

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Tripod

Holly crap! Tim P just emailed me the transcript on Giroux's selection. Apparently Tim P was hiding in the closet with his 1989 tape recorder on.

"let's talk Giroux"
"NO...NOT TAKING HIM"
"why not?"
"he hasn't played well enough!"
"huh? he has the most points of any Canadian over the last 3 years"
"Oh. Well I mean resently"
"well Giroux was second only to Crosby in points for December...so that's recent"
"Well...I mean this year in TOTAL"
"umm...Rick Nash only has 18 points"
"oh...well we have too many C"
"Giroux started as a winger"
"not versitile enough"
"he plays the PP and PK"
"he didn't come to summer camp"
"he just had surgery and was re-habbing"
"yeah, well, Sid doesn't like him and it's his team. I'm also taking Carter to show Philly lost the Carter deal"
"ok boss"

Man would I like to REALLY know what was said to leave Giroux off this team.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Man would I like to REALLY know what was said to leave Giroux off this team.
"This team needs heart and soul, does anyone have any reason to say any player in consideration is lacking? Giroux is a ginger, really? Well, he's off."

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
mantis toboggan

This is rediculous. What could Yzerman possibly be thinking leaving giroux and MSL off over the likes of kunitz, Nash, and carter?? Oh well, good for team USA. I will be cheering for Canada to choke

mantis toboggan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
LORD COMCAST
diamonds and wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Chechens are mostly Muslim, and I'm pretty sure there's a clear divide among them between groups that seek independence via valid political channels and those who consider it a jihad. Al Qaeda apparently has a growing presence there and Russia says Chechnya attracts a lot of foreign extremists. Combine that with the Olympic games, and the recipe is a bit dangerous. Hopefully Russia has their security on point.
Not to get too, too, too, too off track with it, but "valid political channels" are narrow in many countries and narrower in unstable ones directly influenced by the economic and military might of an outside force (Russian or, um, otherwise).

Basically, "Islamist Jihad" is a convenient term and fits nicely into a narrative, but overlooks a whole lot of the actual situation. These are things we should be careful about. Anyway, hopefully all is peaceful at the Games and for as long as it can be.

Glad Claude didn't make it kinda. Canada will be fine without him, let him rest up and use the snub as motivation. USA USA USA.

Last edited by LORD COMCAST: 01-07-2014 at 03:33 PM.
LORD COMCAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
vtm26

Wow, pretty moronic to leave out a player like Giroux when playing on a big ice surface.

vtm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
MadFerIt95*

I'm kind of glad he was snubbed to motivate him for the rest of the season. Also, I am glad we can say he was snubbed, and not that he didn't deserve it. Because at one point, I would have said he didn't deserve to make it. So glad he, along with the Flyers, turned it around.

MadFerIt95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
I'm kind of glad he was snubbed to motivate him for the rest of the season. Also, I am glad we can say he was snubbed, and not that he didn't deserve it. Because at one point, I would have said he didn't deserve to make it. So glad he, along with the Flyers, turned it around.
Agreed. If he was playing poor...then fine. But freakin Rick Nash has 18 points.

Anyways, the Flyers are the ones who are REALLY going to benefit from Giroux not being there.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
crazy that the #1, #4, #5, #7 and #10 Canadian point getters over the last 3 years aren't making the team.

(Giroux, St. Louis, Thornton, Staal, Neal, respectively)

01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
flyershockey

Rick Nash is scoring at a 55 point pace this year.

Team Canada.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Glad he's not there and Yzerman better hope we don't face Tampa in the Playoffs. I'd rather see 2 weeks of rest and an attitude out of G after the Olympics. As a Canadian Flyers fan I could care less.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
crazy that the #1, #4, #5, #7 and #10 Canadian point getters over the last 3 years aren't making the team.

(Giroux, St. Louis, Thornton, Staal, Neal, respectively)
I get the right team and all that jazz, but these guys are all world players, how you don't take some of the highest scorers from your country over the past 3 years is amazing.

Hiesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
In fairness to Rick Nash he had some time out with a cocnussion, additionally, when he was there in 2010 he was an absolute FORCE on his line with Richards. They pretty much went out and dominated most other teams' top lines physically every single shift. It felt like Nash couldn't lost a puck battle, and once he got the puck there was going to be a shot on goal soon after.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't really take that much issue with Canada leaving Giroux off. He had a terrible start to the year, when Yzerman was likely making some decisions. Beyond that, He skipped the orientation camp, and did not separate himself during the season. He did hurt his hand, but he still didn't go. Even if he couldn't participate, just showing up would tell Canada how bad he wanted it. He didn't. Even if he did want it bad, that may not have been the impression of Canada took when he decided to stay home. Sorry, but you go to the back of the line.

Those saying that you're glad that he will get the rest, won't be signing the same tune if he's blowing up the league going into the Olympics and gets 3 weeks to cool off.

Also, enough of this 'motivation' thing. The team was in a huge hole. There shouldn't be further impetus to try harder and play better.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't really take that much issue with Canada leaving Giroux off. He had a terrible start to the year, when Yzerman was likely making some decisions. Beyond that, He skipped the orientation camp, and did not separate himself during the season. He did hurt his hand, but he still didn't go. Even if he couldn't participate, just showing up would tell Canada how bad he wanted it. He didn't. Even if he did want it bad, that may not have been the impression of Canada took when he decided to stay home. Sorry, but you go to the back of the line.

Those saying that you're glad that he will get the rest, won't be signing the same tune if he's blowing up the league going into the Olympics and gets 3 weeks to cool off.
Better than going into the olympics red hot...then getting hurt.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I get the right team and all that jazz, but these guys are all world players, how you don't take some of the highest scorers from your country over the past 3 years is amazing.
What I don't get is that some of the guys on the list aren't exactly one-dimensional. I would think guys like Giroux and Staal would be valued because they play in all situations. Thornton adds size and excellent passing, St. Louis is St. Louis. I hate James Neal so **** him.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote