HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux not selected to Team Canada.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:20 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

vCash: 500
Giroux didnt have a good start and it cost him. Duchene and Benn were both right even with Giroux in points but both had more Goals. That looks to be the determining factor. Unfortunately we all saw how badly he was slumping this year.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Couturier Post

After a quick count, 4 Flyers are playing in the Olympics (Voracek, Streit, Timonen, Raffl), but there are 9 former flyers on the Olympics. Granted, 5 of them are Nedved, Krajicek, Thoresen, Tollefsen, and Bartulis, but I'd still take Sharp, Carter, Jagr, and Bobrovsky over the Flyers' Olympians.

Couturier Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Better than going into the olympics red hot...then getting hurt.
Noted.

On top of what I mentioned, Giroux was going to have to change positions. I think not going to the camp is a bigger deal than how his season has gone.

The next best thing he can do is make his case if someone gets hurt. Because someone will get hurt.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturier Post View Post
After a quick count, 4 Flyers are playing in the Olympics (Voracek, Streit, Timonen, Raffl), but there are 9 former flyers on the Olympics. Granted, 5 of them are Nedved, Krajicek, Thoresen, Tollefsen, and Bartulis, but I'd still take Sharp, Carter, Jagr, and Bobrovsky over the Flyers' Olympians.
Voracek
Streit
Timonen
Raffl
Meszaros

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

A travesty.

I can count on one hand the number of better forwards Canada has.

Can't wait until Canada loses.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturier Post View Post
Mesz too

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Noted.

On top of what I mentioned, Giroux was going to have to change positions. I think not going to the camp is a bigger deal than how his season has gone.

The next best thing he can do is make his case if someone gets hurt. Because someone will get hurt.
Politics came into play big time with today's announcement. I get that they were probably upset that Giroux didn't show up to the summer camp, but look at the names of some of the forwards on the roster. Yzerman played politics, no doubt about it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Politics came into play big time with today's announcement. I get that they were probably upset that Giroux didn't show up to the summer camp, but look at the names of some of the forwards on the roster. Yzerman played politics, no doubt about it.
Where's the evidence?

Other than the inclusion of Nash, which I guess you could explain in terms of politics, I'm just not seeing it. Benn was invited to the camp and plays for a southern US market and he was included. If Stevie Y was playing politics and favorites, why did he leave MSL off?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I think it is possible that Crosby played an indirect role in not selecting Giroux.
Canada may have been scared of bad team chemistry because of how Crosby would feel with Giroux on the team.
Crosby being Canada's most valuable export will get whatever Canada thinks will help him perform better.

Would have been interesting to see how Giroux fared with top tier wingers on his line.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty but Good View Post
I think it is possible that Crosby played an indirect role in not selecting Giroux.
Canada may have been scared of bad team chemistry because of how Crosby would feel with Giroux on the team.
Crosby being Canada's most valuable export will get whatever Canada thinks will help him perform better.

Would have been interesting to see how Giroux fared with top tier wingers on his line.
I really doubt Crosby had anything to do with it, or with the selection of Kunitz for that matter.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:59 PM
ugiswrong

It's pretty great. He gets pissed off and motivated, and it's likely he goes anyway when someone predictably gets hurt.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
YuioIklo

This is absurd that Giroux isn't making it, and even more absurd that Martin St-Louis was ignored AGAIN. Two francophones ignored for mysterious reasons, typical Canada.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 24466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Your mistake is thinking you're going to find people on the main board who actually know what they're talking about haha. 99% of them are idiots and it's very hard to find the 1% that actually knows what they're talking about.

A weird thing I noticed on the main board is there are a handful of Flyers fans there, that I never see in our board.

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Canada's mistake is the United State's gain so it's all good.

Should have made the team of course, but whatever, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
He's a crybaby but this would take it to another level. I can't stand the guy like many here but I can't imagine he'll put his own ego above the Canadian squad.
You underestimate professional athletes and their ego.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I really doubt Crosby had anything to do with it, or with the selection of Kunitz for that matter.
I think that's a Bylsma thing.

01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
thom

You could be right Bobby Clarke about politics except to say Martin St Louis was not picked either.When Quebec was producing players enmasse many were arguing why more or less french players were on roster.It a long history in canada of english vs french.I mean one could argue did Tyler Seguin have a real chance considering Boston Bruin Gm was one of canadas pickers

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
SgtJoseph

Its very easy to go off on a knee jerk reaction every time the Olympics come around especially with Roo, Marty St Louis, Ryan, etc left off of their respective countries teams.........I really hate it for Roo especially but i do understand that building a " team" takes many different type players, skill sets, ego's, chemistry, etc,,,,,,,,,, There really is no perfect way to select a team ..........Its just the way it is and a fact that there will always be great players left off a club. Rick Nash getting on was a shocker to most, but i am sure Mike Babcock ( who is a helluva lot smarter than any of us ) knows certain things about Nash that will fit in with the " chemistry" of the team......Mart St Louis plays for a GM that is part of putting together the team and even he got left off ? ( for now ) .

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Where's the evidence?

Other than the inclusion of Nash, which I guess you could explain in terms of politics, I'm just not seeing it. Benn was invited to the camp and plays for a southern US market and he was included. If Stevie Y was playing politics and favorites, why did he leave MSL off?
Stamkos was definitely political. I'm sorry, but you don't break your leg, get it operated on and then be ready for the Olympics within six weeks. Just doesn't happen.

I also look at a guy like Kunitz being on the roster. If he's not riding shotgun with Crosby, he doesn't even sniff the collective jock strap of Team Canada.

Nash was definitely political. So what if he's been there in the past. The past two seasons, he's been mediocre to terrible and coming off a concussion that kept him sidelined for several weeks, he's still battling to come to form.

I even look at a guy like Brent Seabrook being left off the roster so that a guy like Jay Bouwmeester is added. Or how about how Shea Weber gets a free pass even though he's sucked this year.

There's definitely politics being played here. Make no bones about it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:48 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Not true at all.

It's a conflicht between chechens and the russian government. This is their way of "protest".

Edit: Yes, the asssassins may be Islamic oriented but it's a political conflict instead of a religious one. Still sad.

Back to topic.
It is more than a "protest". Chechens want their own state and their culture/religion is Islamic and would implement Sharia Law. The suicide bombers are convinced that they will be martyrs and are acceptable as part of their religion (or how their religion is taught along the same lines as how other terrorists are brainwashed).

While the bombings are a protest, nothing would embarrass Putin and the Russian government more than a successful attack at the Olympics. Security will be very tight, but it is not a zero probability that something would be attempted.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
I want to find something to complain about Giroux with but i cant...outside of that first month and his skipping of the team canada orientation which both just pissed me off...he has been one of the elite canadian players in the league. Im hoping that he uses it to fuel his season and he becomes as lethal as he was in the penguins playoffs a few years back. We need the G that can put the team on his back and take over a game.

I think Canada really screwed this up

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:50 PM
The Couturier Effect

Little late to the party here.

1. I'm shocked Giroux didn't make it. Canada will regret it. Like others have said, at least it will give him time to rest and light a fire under his ass. I'll give him a pep talk when I see him at the carnival.

2. I think Marty St. Louis is a bigger snub than Giroux. Especially if Stamkos is on the team. I figured if they want Crosby and Kunitz together, they'd want Stamkos and St. Louis together too. Hell, even without Stamkos, St. Louis can still do a lot of damage.

3. Rick Nash? He's still in the middle of his "slow start" and he managed to make it? What a joke.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
orangecrush8

6 hours later and I'm still raging. We aren't talking about a bubble guy here. This isn't like we're debating Eric staal or Tyler Seguin. This is Claude ****ing Giroux. The playoff performer, the game breaker, the "put your team on his back" type of guy. This has to be one of the biggest snubs in Canadian hockey.

I also find it EXTREMELY hypocritical that St.louis was left off the team. The only logical explanation for Kunitz making the team is because of chemistry with Crosby. Yet they completely ignore St.louis' (who is obviously 100x the player Kunitz is) chemistry with Stamkos.

Rick Nash is a laughable pick. I'll just leave it at that.

Honestly, and maybe I'm not patriotic, but i don't think I'll be so heartbroken if Canada doesn't win a gold just so Yzmerman and company can realize how moronic leaving Giroux and St.louis off this team really was

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:56 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Little late to the party here.

1. I'm shocked Giroux didn't make it. Canada will regret it. Like others have said, at least it will give him time to rest and light a fire under his ass. I'll give him a pep talk when I see him at the carnival.

2. I think Marty St. Louis is a bigger snub than Giroux. Especially if Stamkos is on the team. I figured if they want Crosby and Kunitz together, they'd want Stamkos and St. Louis together too. Hell, even without Stamkos, St. Louis can still do a lot of damage.

3. Rick Nash? He's still in the middle of his "slow start" and he managed to make it? What a joke.
Get out of my head

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:03 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Get out of my head
Great minds think alike

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote