HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs - Who To Keep

Old
01-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Kostitsyn404*

vCash: 500
Playoffs - Who To Keep

Personally, I'm certain that if we keep Samsonov for the playoffs he will turn into our next Richard Zednik. I know this guy has been playing badly this season but that doesn't change the facts

A) He's a known 30ish goal scorer
B) He was on a line that he had no chemistry on almost all year
C) The second that Samsonov was moved from Plek-Kovalev's line, all three of them scored in the same night after a major losing streak.

Samsonov has not scored since but can he score every night? A player of his skill level should average at least a point 4/5 games. If anything a goal every 3 games. I think during the playoffs we're all going to be praising Gainey. "Thank god you didn't trade that guy"

Another thing I've started to notice lately is, it looks like Samsonov has been learning a few moves from Kovalev. He seems to be more in control of the puck and he seems to have more speed.

That's just my input. Who do you definitely think we should KEEP before the deadline? Get rid of, I'd say Murray/Downey/Ninimaa/Possibly even Abby.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:34 AM
ti-vite

I would change the title of this thread to

Playoffs- keep Samsonov

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
znk

I dont know....13 goals in 59 carreer play off games. I dont see why that would change.

Keep Souray and Markov for the playoffs.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
A) He's a known 30ish goal scorer
He never scored 30 goals in a season, and he scored more than 25 goals only twice.

Even though he's having a bad season, I think a lot of us overrated his offensive production.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:30 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
Personally, .... speed.

That's just my input. Who do you definitely think we should KEEP before the deadline? Get rid of, I'd say Murray/Downey/Ninimaa/Possibly even Abby.

Some people are so funny. We wouldn't get a 6th round pick for Murray, Downey, and Ninimaa. Even with Abby, you won't get more than a 3rd or 4th.

Those guys aren't even playing. They're spare parts that will be around to play 8 minutes a game if there happened to be an injury.
Getting rid of them I'm sure is the last thing on Gainey's mind.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post

Even though he's having a bad season, I think a lot of us overrated his offensive production.
Including Bob Gainey.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Subban Fan

I think we need one more player to be considered a cup contender...With that being said, i think we can afford to trade a young player and a couple of picks to get that player who could give us a chance to make long run in the playoffs...I see Perezhogin as a trade bait...I'm pretty sure he has good value around the league and i think his departure wouldnt hurt us...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of Aebischer unless we get a veritable bounty in return for him. He's our best insurance policy for the playoffs.. having a second goaltender who can log serious minutes without breaking a sweat. Not many teams (especially Eastern Conference teams) have that kind of insurance in net, and will have to suffer through the inevitable bad game somewhere down the line.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd feel a lot better with Aebischer as a backup than Danis or Halak come playoff time. I don't see us getting a pick, prospect or player for him that would make me feel like our team is better heading in.

01-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of Aebischer unless we get a veritable bounty in return for him. He's our best insurance policy for the playoffs.. having a second goaltender who can log serious minutes without breaking a sweat. Not many teams (especially Eastern Conference teams) have that kind of insurance in net, and will have to suffer through the inevitable bad game somewhere down the line.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd feel a lot better with Aebischer as a backup than Danis or Halak come playoff time. I don't see us getting a pick, prospect or player for him that would make me feel like our team is better heading in.
The only reason i see to trade Abby is to clear some cap space to get a player...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Keep everybody. Assuming we're not going to get offered better players on nice contracts for our UFAs... which is an entirely safe assumption, I believe.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

I would keep samsonov, from what I remember he did score some big goals for Edmonton last year in their run. I think this team is going to roll after the allstar break, If buffalo has a slump, we will be right on their tails. Its going to be an exciting finish, I like samsonov, I always liked him, lets keep him. Personally, I like our roster at the current time, but I get attached to players too easily. If a deal can be made to improve the team, go ahead, but I don't like making deals for the sake of making deals.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
The only reason i see to trade Abby is to clear some cap space to get a player...
I don't see the need to clear an additional $1.9m (pro-rated to something like $800k at the deadline) of space when any realistic deal will include Ryder and/or Niinimaa, who will clear more than $800k each themselves. The most we could possibly pick up in salary, assuming we only pick up one player, is a $5.7m salary (i.e. Forsberg or Tkachuk), so less than $2.3m. We already have $700k in space, and clearing both Niinimaa and Ryder would already free up enough space, though not leaving much for possible call-ups like Grabovsky or Kostitsyn.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Personally, I think looking back, the ribs deal was stupid.

It did not improve the team at all. Whats the point of increasing the payroll and downgrading the quality of the roster?

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:10 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Personally, I think looking back, the ribs deal was stupid.

It did not improve the team at all. Whats the point of increasing the payroll and downgrading the quality of the roster?
Frankly, I agree. We can never know what locker room scenario actually existed, but it must have been pretty terrible for it to trigger such a deal.

Niinimaa hasn't been as bad as advertised in my opinion, but Ribeiro was definitely a second line centre and could play with Kovalev, something we're now sorely lacking.

Old
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
If buffalo has a slump, we will be right on their tails.
Do slugs have tails ?

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:12 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Do slugs have tails ?
Well what would you call the rear part of the slug? Do snails have tails?

Old
01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Well what would you call the rear part of the slug? Do snails have tails?
Good question.

Before answering, I'd wait for the Habs to put their skates into these slobbery tracks they let behind them.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:19 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Since I'm bored, I looked up snails on wikipedia to no avail. However I found out that there are carnivorous snails! Snails that eat other snails! Such a death would definitely be terrible. Being eaten by a snail would have to be one of the longest torments on the planet..

Old
01-22-2007, 11:47 AM
znk

Quote:
Since I'm bored, I looked up snails on wikipedia to no avail. However I found out that there are carnivorous snails! Snails that eat other snails! Such a death would definitely be terrible. Being eaten by a snail would have to be one of the longest torments on the planet..
That would be canibal snails.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Shabutie

I'd trade Perezhogin for whatever we can get and run with it. Why? Cuz in the time he's been here, he hasn't made any improvements. I'd rather see Kostitsyn and Grabo get a shot here next season.

I'd keep Samsonov just cuz he's better than some players we have and he might do reasonably well in the playoffs. I'd also try to trade for another exeperienced player at the deadline, someone like Gary Roberts.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
That would be canibal snails.
You really don't like Jon Lovitz, do you? lol

Old
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
big_habs_fan

Heading towards the trade deadline this year, we are in the exact same position as last - desperately in need of a #1/2 centre.

We need this for two reasons:

1. To force teams to key on two offensive lines - not just one.

Koivu, to me, seems very worn down. His play has dropped as of late, and he desperately needs this week off. I guess the All-Star game is good for something.

So much of the offensive workload is placed on his shoulders (not to mention he kills penalties as well). Teams continually key primarily on his line and we have no other 3 man unit to consistently provide an offensive threat and force opposoing teams to make choices in their tactics. Come playoff time, this situation is only magnified.

2. Knock on wood - Koivu has not gone down this year, but if he does, at any time, we do not have the players to replace him.

We saw it last year in the playoffs and if he goes down again, we'll see it again.

I believe that Gainey is working on this and will do whatever he can to make it happen. It would be a shame not to learn from that experience last year. We do not have a single player who can step into the #1 centre role without our team taking a huge step backwards. Take him out and look what happens:

Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder
Latendresse - Bonk - Kovalev
Samsanov - Lapierre - Johnson
Perezhogin - Murray - Streit

Hardly looks like a team that will win a best of seven series without their captain.

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_habs_fan View Post
Heading towards the trade deadline this year, we are in the exact same position as last - desperately in need of a #1/2 centre.

We need this for two reasons:

1. To force teams to key on two offensive lines - not just one.

Koivu, to me, seems very worn down. His play has dropped as of late, and he desperately needs this week off. I guess the All-Star game is good for something.

So much of the offensive workload is placed on his shoulders (not to mention he kills penalties as well). Teams continually key primarily on his line and we have no other 3 man unit to consistently provide an offensive threat and force opposoing teams to make choices in their tactics. Come playoff time, this situation is only magnified.

2. Knock on wood - Koivu has not gone down this year, but if he does, at any time, we do not have the players to replace him.

We saw it last year in the playoffs and if he goes down again, we'll see it again.

I believe that Gainey is working on this and will do whatever he can to make it happen. It would be a shame not to learn from that experience last year. We do not have a single player who can step into the #1 centre role without our team taking a huge step backwards. Take him out and look what happens:

Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder
Latendresse - Bonk - Kovalev
Samsanov - Lapierre - Johnson
Perezhogin - Murray - Streit

Hardly looks like a team that will win a best of seven series without their captain.

Well put... to me it's painfully obvious. This team is in desperate need of some NHL level help down the middle. Lapierre, Grabvorsky, Chipchura, Maxwell are all great for the future, but right now we are one Koivu injury (and we all know it's bound to happen) away from Golf season.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I dont know....13 goals in 59 carreer play off games. I dont see why that would change.

Keep Souray and Markov for the playoffs.
I agree about keeping Souray and Markov even at the risk of losing at least one at the end of the season.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
I think we need one more player to be considered a cup contender...With that being said, i think we can afford to trade a young player and a couple of picks to get that player who could give us a chance to make long run in the playoffs...I see Perezhogin as a trade bait...I'm pretty sure he has good value around the league and i think his departure wouldnt hurt us...
Ryder for Sami Salo?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote