HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Old
01-07-2014, 03:28 AM
g04tm4n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor11 View Post
I would go with the 5.0 if you can.. Great skate

I have the 5.0 and 3.0 and there is a big difference between the 2..material and performance wise.. 5.0 have much more support and the quarter panel is a tech mesh plasticy feeling material as opposed to nylon..

If I wear my 3.0 in pickup IL be sucking wind on the bench at the end of every shift

Both are same size.. The 5.0 on left have more volume in the back
thanks, won't the 5.0 be a too stiff boot for intermediate skater though? I have heard that most people say to be careful to not get a skate that is too stiff for your level.

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
AIREAYE

How much are the 3.0 vs 5.0 for you?

Also, the fit is the same more or less, the 5.0 just has more quarter material, making it look bigger in the back.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
brockHooton
Rookie User

hi! i'm not a hockey player and just started to skate. im 23 yrs old and just under 200lbs. the first three times on ice i loaned some skates at the rink. I think you all know about skates like that
so im about to buy my own ones now. i've tried on the bauer supreme one.5. they are okay but pinch a little on the ankles. I don't know if thats okay or not. you have to know im from germany and the one.5 cost $250 over here and that's the most i can afford.

do you have any suggestions what skates to get? Or is it okay that they pinch the first few times wearing them?

thanks!

brockHooton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:00 PM
AIREAYE

Have you tried others?

Old
01-07-2014, 06:51 PM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
thanks, won't the 5.0 be a too stiff boot for intermediate skater though? I have heard that most people say to be careful to not get a skate that is too stiff for your level.
The 5.0 is not ultra stiff and I think it is fine for beginners.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 09:52 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
How much are the 3.0 vs 5.0 for you?

Also, the fit is the same more or less, the 5.0 just has more quarter material, making it look bigger in the back.
The 3.0 are significantly cheaper, but seems I cannot find them or the 4.0 in the correct size. So it will have to be x 5.0 or a pair from the new line.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:57 PM
AIREAYE

Good luck then. At worst, it's another experiment and likely your best guess given the circumstances.

Old
01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Good luck then. At worst, it's another experiment and likely your best guess given the circumstances.
Thanks. I'll go for the 5.0 if I can, and if the boot is too stiff I'll put them on a pedestal and use my current skates until I'm ready lol...kidding

thank you again for all the help, I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
The 5.0 is not ultra stiff and I think it is fine for beginners.
Thank you, this is good to know.

Last edited by g04tm4n: 01-07-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old
01-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Chip39

I'm pulling the trigger on some crazy lights but nobody around me is carrying them so I'm shopping online. It's not as big a risk because I am in ccm shock le skates now. I'm currently wearing a 9.5 e and while they are very comfortable I have a problem with heel lock and was wondering if the d width would be a better choice. My forefoot is a little wide in one spot and when I was fitted that's why I went with the e width but I was thinking with a bake I would be better off with regular width.

Chip39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:21 PM
brockHooton
Rookie User

Quote:
Have you tried others?
i've not. that's because i have to order skates in the internet as there is no store that has skates anywhere near me.

brockHooton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AIREAYE

go back through the thread and look over others with similar situations.

Old
01-09-2014, 08:29 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Just wanted to get some advice if I could. I've been looking to get some new skates for a little while as I am still using my Easton EQ30s (10.5D) I got when I was learning. Unfortunately they do have a pressure point that is quite painful on the outside of my forefoot that is becoming quite debilitating. I have done as much reading on the internet as I can and eventually stumbled acorss Pro Skate in Edmonton which offer a remote fitting service for $50 (deducted from the price of skates if I purchase them there anyway so no biggie). To that end I have provided foot tracings, photos and data from my podiatrist (probably redundant). The skate I originally thought would be the most appropriate is the One.7 in a 10.5 D or E - I wasn't sure on width. Sure enough, they came back and said that the One.7 in a 10.5D should be good for me and that they would stretch some width in the forefoot. As nobody here will stretch skates I asked if this would be done by Pro Skate (they said they would) as I was concerned if there was any risk in doing this remotely??? I also queried whether a CCM skate (eg. CL) might be better due to the heat mouldability. Pro Skate have now suggested I look at the RBZ90, however, the RBZ review on this board says these skates must be tried on before purchasing. My question is, do you think the remote fitting service eliminates this risk? Further, is there much difference between the skates in terms of overall quality? The only thing they sways me to the Bauers is I can actually go try some one at the local store (they only stock Bauers).

Thanks.

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
g04tm4n

Hi All

So I can get x 7.0 skates at a decent price from a contact. Do you think this is overkill?

Old
01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AIREAYE

Yes, it's overkill. You'll never be able to break it in.

Old
01-10-2014, 12:07 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Yes, it's overkill. You'll never be able to break it in.
That is what I was afraid of. My future coach reckons they should work, especially since it costs so much to import skates here all the time, so the longer they can last, the better.

Old
01-10-2014, 12:13 PM
AIREAYE

How can he think they'll work if neither of you know how it even fits? It doesn't matter how good the skate is or how good of a deal it is if you're risking fit and comfort as an uncertainty as well as break-in and baking as impossible given the circumstances.

Old
01-10-2014, 12:18 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
How can he think they'll work if neither of you know how it even fits? It doesn't matter how good the skate is or how good of a deal it is if you're risking fit and comfort as an uncertainty as well as break-in and baking as impossible given the circumstances.
Agreed. I will never go for a top end skate unless I am absolutely sure it will fit properly. He did of course mention the skates will work if the proper fit can be ensured. What I am going to do is track down some guys that currently have vapor skates and see if I can fit theirs, as there are some guys that already imported a few on trial and error basis.

Still think I will go for a lower end skate, just wanted to get some other opinions as well.

Old
01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
Agreed. I will never go for a top end skate unless I am absolutely sure it will fit properly. He did of course mention the skates will work if the proper fit can be ensured. What I am going to do is track down some guys that currently have vapor skates and see if I can fit theirs, as there are some guys that already imported a few on trial and error basis.

Still think I will go for a lower end skate, just wanted to get some other opinions as well.
That sounds like a good idea, but keep in mind that their anecdotes are just that; theirs alone. Hopefully you'll be able to find a close size.

Old
01-10-2014, 01:21 PM
TheeNorthStar

Does anyone have a estimate or info on how much those MX3 skates are going to be? 850? Or are they planning on raising the price again?

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeNorthStar View Post
Does anyone have a estimate or info on how much those MX3 skates are going to be? 850? Or are they planning on raising the price again?
Just a guesstimate, but you're probably looking at the same price as the APX2.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 02:54 PM
g04tm4n

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea, but keep in mind that their anecdotes are just that; theirs alone. Hopefully you'll be able to find a close size.
Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Since I am going to do this first, it means I will be in my current skates for a while longer. My heel in the one boot does not look and slips sometimes, does anyone know if there is anyway that I can prevent this? Maybe I should lace them differently to get better support?

Old
01-10-2014, 02:58 PM
AIREAYE

As long as the heel is locked when you are in a knees-bent athletic position and remains locked as you go through your normal skating motions, that should be ok.

It depends what kind of support you are looking for. You can try lacing your skates from outside in rather than the 'traditional' inside-out. There's a thread somewhere here about lacing. Take a look. I've found that outside-in for the last couple eyelets gives a noticeably better wrap. I don't personally use it because I prefer a lot of ankle motion forward and backwards (but little lateral movement, a testament to well-fitted skates).

Old
01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
g04tm4n

Thanks, I'll have a look at the thread on lacing.

Well, the skates were fine the last 2 sessions I had(not fine, but tolerable), then I had one on Thursday and everything just went wrong, skates felt wobbly underneath me, heel was slipping. It felt more like the skates themselves were unstable.

Believe me, I am not blaming my shortcomings on my equipment at all, something just feels off.

Old
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Aireaye - are you able to provide an answer wrt my earlier post?

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:24 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
Just wanted to get some advice if I could. I've been looking to get some new skates for a little while as I am still using my Easton EQ30s (10.5D) I got when I was learning. Unfortunately they do have a pressure point that is quite painful on the outside of my forefoot that is becoming quite debilitating. I have done as much reading on the internet as I can and eventually stumbled acorss Pro Skate in Edmonton which offer a remote fitting service for $50 (deducted from the price of skates if I purchase them there anyway so no biggie). To that end I have provided foot tracings, photos and data from my podiatrist (probably redundant). The skate I originally thought would be the most appropriate is the One.7 in a 10.5 D or E - I wasn't sure on width. Sure enough, they came back and said that the One.7 in a 10.5D should be good for me and that they would stretch some width in the forefoot. As nobody here will stretch skates I asked if this would be done by Pro Skate (they said they would) as I was concerned if there was any risk in doing this remotely??? I also queried whether a CCM skate (eg. CL) might be better due to the heat mouldability. Pro Skate have now suggested I look at the RBZ90, however, the RBZ review on this board says these skates must be tried on before purchasing. My question is, do you think the remote fitting service eliminates this risk? Further, is there much difference between the skates in terms of overall quality? The only thing they sways me to the Bauers is I can actually go try some one at the local store (they only stock Bauers).

Thanks.
the RBZ 90's will be wider in the fore foot then the Bauers, I normally where a wide and when I got my RBZ's they where D's, the 90's where are great fit right out of the box, but having them baked is what really made the skate for me it really took any hot spots ( there wasn't any major ones) away and gave me that custom fit

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote