HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade Proposal with L.A. Kings

Old
01-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Since86

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal with L.A. Kings

I don't know what it would take for L.A. to part with him but I'd really like to see the Habs pick up Craig Conroy. Here's why...

- He is an ideal 2nd line centre, he is defensively responsible but has offensive upside;
- He is a right-handed centre, something Montreal doesn't have (Lapierre doesn't really count since he's more of a minor leaguer at this stage);
- He is good at face-offs, he would rank 2nd on the team behind only Koivu in face-off efficiency;
- His best seasons were spent centering a line with Rocket Richard trophy winner Jarome Iginla, maybe he can get more out of Kovalev and/or Samsonov;
- He is a veteran presence who came within one game of winning the Stanley Cup with Calgary, you can never have too many guys like him on your team come playoff time;
- He's a nice guy, he's very likable and would likely fit right into the Canadiens dressing room without causing any waves;
- He would provide Montreal with another offensive option, giving us more scoring threats, making us a more dangerous team; and
- He was drafted by the Habs and traded away for nothing, it's time to bring him home.

Now, ideally I would love to part with little-used defenseman Janne Niinimaa since he represents similar cap space to Conroy, but obviously value is not being respected (not to mention the fact the Niinimaa is unrestricted at the end of this season). So, what pick or prospect would have to be added to convince the Kings to give us Conroy?

To Montreal:
C - Craig Conroy

To Los Angeles:
D - Janne Niinimaa & ???

Lines with Conroy:
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Conroy-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson
Plekanec-Begin-Latendresse

Excellent 1st line; Great second line (if it clicks); Very solid shut-down 3rd line; And what a sweet young/energy/speed/crash 4th line.

Thoughts?

Since86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Guy Caballero

I'd rather go with what we have than pick up Conroy's salary for 08.

This has been proposed on these boards many times already.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Marksman

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=334464

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

If we were going to pick up some kind of depth insurance of the wing-and-a-prayer variety like Conroy, I'd basically have two requirements attached:

1) We don't give up anything significant.
2) The player must be an impending unrestricted free agent.

So to me, that eliminates players like Conroy who have another year on their deals. A guy like Mike York who is apparently exhibiting copious amounts of brutality this year and might be available almost for free, Derek Armstrong is on the Kings, 33 years old, impending-UFA, a better choice than Conroy for us IMHO. Step it up on the rental side for UFAs, I'd be willing to look at the bigger names like Stumpel, Sundin, and Forsberg... BUT!... presumably the asking price will violate requirement #1 above.

Aside to all that, I like the idea of adding somebody (on the wing) like Martin Gelinas for the stretch run. Although again, I can imagine the mega-contenders being better-placed to pay a higher price than us for him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'd be willing to look at the bigger names like Stumpel, Sundin, and Forsberg...
Stumpel would be a very realistic rental for the stretch drive.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Maxpac

I don't want agood 2-way center for the 2nd line, we already have Pleckanek, Bonk, Bégin and Lappierre for that. I want someone who would really explode our offense, like Forsberg, Jokinen. Ok maybe someone cheaper, but i want a good ALL OFFENSIVE center. I found out it so refreshing seeing Grabovski for the 3 games he played with us cause he was the first center in a long time who could really do something with the puck on his own

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
Quote:
If we were going to pick up some kind of depth insurance of the wing-and-a-prayer variety like Conroy, I'd basically have two requirements attached:

1) We don't give up anything significant.
2) The player must be an impending unrestricted free agent.

So to me, that eliminates players like Conroy who have another year on their deals. A guy like Mike York who is apparently exhibiting copious amounts of brutality this year and might be available almost for free, Derek Armstrong is on the Kings, 33 years old, impending-UFA, a better choice than Conroy for us IMHO. Step it up on the rental side for UFAs, I'd be willing to look at the bigger names like Stumpel, Sundin, and Forsberg... BUT!... presumably the asking price will violate requirement #1 above.

Aside to all that, I like the idea of adding somebody (on the wing) like Martin Gelinas for the stretch run. Although again, I can imagine the mega-contenders being better-placed to pay a higher price than us for him.
ok im a kings fan conroy does have another year on his contract and has been struggleing this year with the new coach ... but on the other hand we have DereK Armstrong who has been doing just about everything a team could ask of him he's been the 2nd line center all year playing with either forlov or cammy , army leads the team in PLus Minus with a PLUS 12 he has play 45 games with 8 G and 24 a very effect faceoff man loves to go into the corners and and dish the puck . great team guy this is someone dean wants to resign in the offseason !!!! but if a deal comes up im sure he can be had!!! his salary is like 400,000$ for the rest of the season so the price tag is right for a 2nd line center for a playoff push i really dont know what u guys have to offer but the kings are looking for either young d man that will play in the NHL in the next 2-3 years or draft picks

hopes this helps a little

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Stumpel would be a very realistic rental for the stretch drive.
Not going to happen! There's only one team out of a playoffs contention in the East and it's the Philadelphia Flyers. Right now, there's only 4 points between the 14th and the 8th place. Nobody will be sellers exept the Flyers...at least, in the East.

As for the proposal, well, no. We can't pick up the salary of Conroy for next year. If it wasn't of that, maybe, but with the actual situation, no.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncepts View Post
ok im a kings fan conroy does have another year on his contract and has been struggleing this year with the new coach ... but on the other hand we have DereK Armstrong who has been doing just about everything a team could ask of him he's been the 2nd line center all year playing with either forlov or cammy , army leads the team in PLus Minus with a PLUS 12 he has play 45 games with 8 G and 24 a very effect faceoff man loves to go into the corners and and dish the puck . great team guy this is someone dean wants to resign in the offseason !!!! but if a deal comes up im sure he can be had!!! his salary is like 400,000$ for the rest of the season so the price tag is right for a 2nd line center for a playoff push i really dont know what u guys have to offer but the kings are looking for either young d man that will play in the NHL in the next 2-3 years or draft picks

hopes this helps a little
Well... we can definitely promise to let Armstrong re-sign with you in the summer, so if you let us have him for a few months, well hey, I'd rather give up a pick or prospect for him than for Conroy, that's for sure. And besides, on reputation alone, you'll probably get just as good (or better) pick/prospect for Conroy too from some other team, so you're not losing out there either. A 2nd/3rd round pick or Mathieu Carle, I could see giving up something like that to rent Armstrong. Although that's me, and I've liked what I've seen of Armstrong, and I know he won't have the reputation around here that Conroy does, and folks will say hey BG you're nuts, Carle for Derek freakin' Armstrong?!?!??! What daf are you smokin'??!!? Etc. Oh well.

Old
01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Not to be mean, but I sometimes feel like some people fail to see the evolution of a player through time. Conroy is far from being the player he once was in Calgary, and will probably never regain that form. We don't want to patch things up, we want to go forward. I don't think the Conroy of 2007 would really make the Canadiens a better team. Plekanec now has more offensive upside than he does! I don't think Stumpel would be either. We need a real improvement, a player who will really bring this team forward and help it stay on top, all the way through the final months of the regular season, the playoffs and if possible, future years. My pick has always been Forsberg even with the injury issue, or Modano - even with the age factor - if either one ends up being available. I don't think having Stumpel or Conroy instead or Plekanec on our team would help if Koivu goes down, and I don't think they would really be much of an upgrade over Plekanec, especially the way he is playing these days.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:07 PM
guest1467

I would rather have Pleks than Conroy, costs less too.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:39 PM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
Quote:
Well... we can definitely promise to let Armstrong re-sign with you in the summer, so if you let us have him for a few months, well hey, I'd rather give up a pick or prospect for him than for Conroy, that's for sure. And besides, on reputation alone, you'll probably get just as good (or better) pick/prospect for Conroy too from some other team, so you're not losing out there either. A 2nd/3rd round pick or Mathieu Carle, I could see giving up something like that to rent Armstrong. Although that's me, and I've liked what I've seen of Armstrong, and I know he won't have the reputation around here that Conroy does, and folks will say hey BG you're nuts, Carle for Derek freakin' Armstrong?!?!??! What daf are you smokin'??!!? Etc. Oh well.
to Habs Armstrong
to LA 2nd in 08

and if he did come back to LA after the playoff that would be a even better outcome

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncepts View Post
to Habs Armstrong
to LA 2nd in 08

and if he did come back to LA after the playoff that would be a even better outcome
I'm probably in, pending any of the really elite players being offered to us on a golden platter for ridiculously less. But I don't think many others around here would get excited.