HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Moore

Old
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Oooh let's leave the ignorance and enlightenment on socioeconomic matters for another thread.

Going back to hockey, I think Johnny Moore is a solid guy to have on the third pair. I don't foresee him as a top 4 defenseman, and until and unless he's helping this team towards a winning record, I move him in a deal before the rest of the league stops thinking this guy has further upside.

I think he is a Brett Hedican type defenseman. A solid 3rd pair no frills defenseman that can really skate.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Mint
Hall to NYR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
We all caught a crush on him because he can shoot the puck (something we nearly forgot the site of from a dman in NY) and has skating that almost rivals McD. He also showed he was willing to drop the gloves for us within a short time of arriving here. Those things don't actually make him a good dman, however, and now that the honey moon is over, the reality is that he's barely a #6 right now. Still has time to evolve, but the ceiling is much lower than we were cooing about when we first laid eyes on him.
The thing with Moore is that he rarely even hit the net on the PP, or even produced on the PP, yet people seem to already have been clamoring that he's a better PP dman than Girardi, who's been a solid producer for his role. Moore played the PP in Kitchener, but I think his stats were aided by playing on one of the best PP units in CHL history, because I see zero resemblance of offensive creativity from the blue line like with McDonagh and Del Zotto.

I also don't think his skating was ever close to McDonagh's IMO. I'm sorry, but McDonagh is just stupidly good skating wise, so much that very few in the NHL can compete with.

I think Campoli-Stralman-lite is a good comparison for Moore if he gets it together, which isn't too bad if he's signed to a bargain deal.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:28 AM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

John Moore sucks. I've been a big critic of him. People tend to fall in love with good skaters instead of good hockey players. I don't know how Moore has avoided AV's doghouse for as long as he has, because as far as I'm concerned he's one of the worst players on the team.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
charliemurphy

I don't post often but had to chime in here. I think some posters flew off the handle here. I watched the J. Moore Beginnings (which I rarely do) and I can understand to a degree why people would think the kid comes off as somewhat entitled because of his background. Not that I think that he is but the one comment he did make on the show and also appeared on the promo that I can see would rub people the wrong way was that he said he always believed and knew since he was a kid that he would wind up being an NHL player.
Socieoeconomic talk aside, I can understand why that comment might rub people the wrong way because it may come across as the kid not having that hunger of making it in the NHL and taking it to the next level.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
John Moore sucks. I've been a big critic of him. People tend to fall in love with good skaters instead of good hockey players. I don't know how Moore has avoided AV's doghouse for as long as he has, because as far as I'm concerned he's one of the worst players on the team.
This happens a lot lately. I know mobility is important in today's NHL, but it's not enough to overcome a lack of talent/hockey IQ or an inability to pull it altogether mentally. We've seen this before with both Gilroy and Lisin.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 463
I think Moore will be just fine, not sure where he will end up on the depth chart when all is said and done, but luckily he's a RFA without arbitration rights so he'll go into the bridge deal scenario to see where it goes over the next couple years.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Thesensation19

I like Moores potential and his grit but he has a lot to learn. Being a #6/#7 dman is fine by me but he too has become expandable like DZ.

I thought wouldnt mind DZ to be traded for Jack Johnson in some sort of package. And then Moore would be more needed.

Imagine Johnson on the Rangers. I think he is soooo needed for our style and lack of toughness.

Imagine this

McDonagh - Girardi
Johnson - Staal
Stralman - Moore/Falk

Or Girardi back with staal and McDonagh with Johnson

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I like Moores potential and his grit but he has a lot to learn. Being a #6/#7 dman is fine by me but he too has become expandable like DZ.

I thought wouldnt mind DZ to be traded for Jack Johnson in some sort of package. And then Moore would be more needed.

Imagine Johnson on the Rangers. I think he is soooo needed for our style and lack of toughness.

Imagine this

McDonagh - Girardi
Johnson - Staal
Stralman - Moore/Falk

Yeah, Columbus isn't trading their #1 dman

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

Imagine this

McDonagh - Girardi
Johnson - Staal
Stralman - Moore/Falk

The good thing about Johnson is he can play RD even though hes a lefty shot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

In my opinion, Hunwick has outplayed Moore as a 6/7D. Thoughts on his future with the Rangers? He's a RFA at the end of the year so I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers just hold onto him for the rest of the season. However, I think he could be an intriguing trade chip for a number of teams looking for a mobile defenseman.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Ail
k.

Trade, trade, trade, trade, trade.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 10:43 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Trade, trade, trade, trade, trade.
Ya cause he's totally responsible for this loss

Totally.

Gimme a break, he's a 6th dman

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Moore had a pretty good game going until that point--which is why he was out there. He tried to do what he was supposed to do--generate offense. Oh well.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 11:05 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Moore had a pretty good game going until that point--which is why he was out there. He tried to do what he was supposed to do--generate offense. Oh well.
Except he never actually does.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 11:14 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonaghisGod View Post
Except he never actually does.
Again. Do we expect him to be Ryan mcdonagh ?

If so, and given mcd's overall game tonight, then JM played pretty well but for the last open net ga.

This game was about hank being really bad and the total defense being pretty awful. The refs too.

The call against msl was particularly bad.

Old
12-01-2014, 11:26 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Do people really think Hunwick is better than Moore? It seems we've found a new whipping boy.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Do people really think Hunwick is better than Moore? It seems we've found a new whipping boy.
Right now Hunwick is playing a more steady game and being less aggressive with moving up the ice than Moore. And hats off to him, Hunwick is having a career year--guess playing in the minors all last season was a real wake up call. But, over all (and I haven't been much of a fan), I think Moore is the better long term pick.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Ya cause he's totally responsible for this loss

Totally.

Gimme a break, he's a 6th dman
Okay but, I don't want to hear anymore about his skating and upside. Sixth defensemen usually don't have much of the latter.

Also, trade.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Open Mind
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
Because he's a 3rd pair D and most of them, through the entire league, are not particularly great.

Open Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 08:47 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Okay but, I don't want to hear anymore about his skating and upside. Sixth defensemen usually don't have much of the latter.

Also, trade.
ya well, they do when they are 24.

hes cheap.

hes akin to a 3rd/4th liner if he were a forward. all teams need those guys.

he DOES have upside and hes still pretty young. again, the moore hate here is ferocious.

no reason to move him unless someone will overpay for him or hes part of a package for an upgrade at LD and/or a centerman.

we cant have 6 ryan mcdonaghs playing defense in the world of cap reality.

Old
12-02-2014, 09:24 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

The issue with Moore is that he's so much less than what he should be. He has size and speed and generally accomplishes nothing on the ice. It's depressing.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 09:48 AM
NYR Viper

I think the bigger problem has been Staal, honestly. He is a square peg in a round hole here

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think the bigger problem has been Staal, honestly. He is a square peg in a round hole here
What does that mean, exactly?

12-02-2014, 10:04 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonaghisGod View Post
The issue with Moore is that he's so much less than what he should be. He has size and speed and generally accomplishes nothing on the ice. It's depressing.
no it really isnt.

when taken in context, he is what he is. he rarely hurts the team. his +/- isnt indicative of a guy whos a liability on the ice, even though he is sheltered.

im not depressed when chris kreider does what he does.

i understand hes young and sometimes dumb- like moore and both are not performing as well as i and many others expected.

context.

Old
12-02-2014, 11:16 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
naw.

hes just not the staal of old. hes still a good shutdown guy who can play against top lines. i agree hes trending downward and his ability with the puck seems to have disappeared completely.

even in a 4th year of a decent deal he would still be a serviceable defensive 3rd pair guy.

i think theres definitely a spot for him on our 2nd pair now and in the future on the 3rd pair as long as it isnt a 5/6 type deal. we cant overpay for him.

that cant happen.

brady skjei does look like a replacement for him long term.