HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Would Messier make a Good Coach?

Old
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Would Messier make a Good Coach?

1. I'm not saying he should replace Renny...neccessarily

Just wondering what you guys think he would do for a team as a coach. Great leader..lots of cred...tough...intelligent...

obviously there is more to coaching than just those qualities...but Mark is very vocal about how great it was being a young player in Edmonton under Sather....all the motivational seminars....rounding of the character...inside the game/outside the game

would he be good for a young team...I think perhaps so

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I have seen nothing that would show me that he would. I have seen to show me that he wouldn't.

I don't think that his playing carreer is means he would be a good coach.

01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Taz

Not yet he wouldn't, No experience and maybe his ego would be slightly too big..

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Not yet he wouldn't, No experience and maybe his ego would be slightly too big..
Yeah, coaching those pee wee's right now has given him a big head

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Not a head coach, I would like to see him as an assistant of say the Wolfpack or something along those lines.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:50 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

HIS EGO HUH?

His ego may make him very motivating in the room

good coaches are good at assessing talent and strengths in the individual players and than making a gameplan to play to those strengths

Renny, and I like Tom, makes puzzeling use of his talented players....(see multiple other threads)

What did Bowman do to be SO successful everywhere he coached?

Old
01-22-2007, 01:59 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
No. The all-time great players, guys who were superstars and became Hall of Famers, these guys usually don't make very good head coaches. A good head coach is more likely to be a more average player, maybe a mucker and grinder, who had to really study the game to have a chance because he couldn't get by on skill alone. Lemaire is an exception, but there aren't too many of them.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
He needs to get his feet wet in the AHL or as an assistant here before I even think of saying "maybe".

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Unknown.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
SML

NO.

Not here. Not now.

Coaching is way mre than win one for the gipper speeches and staring people down. Those things worked for Messier because after that, he went out and took care of business on the ice. How many "when I was playing" speeches do you think it would take for the players to tune him out? Especially a bunch of pass happy Euro's like we have here? It would be one thing if this were a room full of western canadian kids who grew up idolizing Mark. It's not. It's a bunch of guys who are older, most of whom played against him, and that respect/fear level isn't there. We're in a situation where a PROFESSIONAL COACH, a guy who has made coaching his life's work, who has dealt with all kinds of personalities and playing styles, can't get these guys to change their thinking. Brendan Shanahan, who is as accomplished a player as there is skating in the league right now, is suiting up next to these guys, and he can't get through to them either. Coaching has to do with X's and O's, not being faster, stronger, or meaner. Messier was a great player. Most great players do not make great coaches. This team needs to separate itself from #11 and get out of his shadow, not get further into it.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

SML -- Renney has the X's and O's, but no backbone or prestige. Funny, but if you combined Renney with Messier you might get a good coach

Old
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
crisb

I wouldn't want to see ranger fans chanting "Fire Messier". Now, we don't know how well he would do, but I would never want to see that day come.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
JRGNYR

It's unknown, but if you want to talk about a former Ranger great who might look great behind the bench one of these days... what about Richter? He's already doing some assistant coaching at Yale while working on his own personal educational goals.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
SML

And this is our problem... Renney is to Jagr what Roger Nielson was to Messier. Players know that if management has to pick between Renney and Jagr, The #68 jersey is still going to be hanging in the lockerroom at MSG. So his credibility is shot. Which in itself may be enough to get him fired. The coach has to run the team, no matter how good the players are. Unfortunatley, #11 set a great precedent of the tail wagging the dog around here. Once the inmates are running the asylum, there's no going back. It just may be the year we have to blow it all up because we know we need Jagr to be happy in order to have it worth him being here. If Renney gets fired and they bring in a guy who lays the smackdown on everyone and regains control, there's a good chance Jagr's not going to be down with the plan. The alternative is to let Jagr have his way with whatever puppet we put in there, which as we can see, is not working.

Last edited by SML: 01-22-2007 at 05:30 PM.
SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Gretzky probably knows more about the game then the leadership aspect then Messier and he sucks as a coach. So I would say no.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Edge

I'll respond in two ways.

I think Messier was a great player and leader and don't think he was the problem with certain Ranger teams.

I don't think Messier would make a good coach.

I've never been a big fan of superstar coaches mainly because guys with that kind of skill seem to have a really hard time understanding why certain guys can't do something. Not that they didn't work hard or that they don't understand the game, but there is a certain disconnect there that in any sport is near impossible to overcome.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Yizee*

screw Messie why do people have to keep bringing him up didnt he ruin our team long enough cant we just forget about his bald head already?

Yizee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
screw Messie why do people have to keep bringing him up didnt he ruin our team long enough cant we just forget about his bald head already?

Old
01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Just breathe and walk away.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Just breathe and walk away.
I really never understood the Messier hate amongst some fans. It's just... weird.

Old
01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I really never understood the Messier hate amongst some fans. It's just... weird.
I liked the guy, I thought he was great. But I think that people didnt like him hanging around too long into his 40's.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
blandBob

Messier became a liability on the ice toward the end of his stay, I could hardly bear to watch him make a pass some time for fear of who it went to. That said, he was an incredible player, way more good than bad. Messier was one of the most dominating players I've ever seen, and that's because he had the physical game and the mental game down cold. But that was on the ice with hockey stick in his hands, so it's really hard to say what he would do behind the bench, but with no track record, it would be a bad gamble.
I would really like to see Graves somewhere in the coaching staff. Graves was an excellent postional hockey player, he knows how to play the ice, and he isn't as emotional as Mess.
But, since there's something fundamentally flawed with this organization's player development system (hint, it's not the scouts), there is none of the immediacy and simplicity of action that other teams practice in their player development. So, no matter who a new coach candidate is, and I don't think it should be Mess, they better be good at asserting themselve to management, or don't even bother sending Renney off to basket-weaving school.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

As coach I don't think so...It might work but chances are it wouldn't...

As GM....yeah i think he could do it..

He could have the right people around him he could be Bob Gainey or Bobby Clarke like.....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
shoothepuck

He would need to put in time as an assistant, and then work his way up after a few seasons of wins with an AHL team, then on to an NHL team, and then maybe give real coaching a shot, (he's a long way off from headcoach material right now), GM is another story.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
And this is our problem... Renney is to Jagr what Roger Nielson was to Messier. Players know that if management has to pick between Renney and Jagr, The #68 jersey is still going to be hanging in the lockerroom at MSG. So his credibility is shot. .

funny the ANSWER to that problem in 93 is actually out there and available right now as well

Mike Keenan