HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Malik

Old
01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Malik

Can someone please explain to me why the Garden crowd has suddenly turned on Marek?

I realize that he's not very good and is primarily just a big body to take up space, but this is nothing new. I haven't seen him make too many bonehead plays recently, particularly in his own end. The only thing I can fault him for (that's different from last year, anyway) is that he's been trying to do too much offensively when he has the puck. But that is hardly worthy of open hostility.

I dunno, maybe the fans are just frustrated and want to take it out on someone, and Malik is just an easy target because he's a big lumbering d-man.

Thoughts?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
FLYLine24*

No Malik is an easy target because he is just plain terrible.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I dislike him because I feel he takes shifts off. He's got great size and eventhough it's not his game to use it, I find it disturbing to see him get worked over by the likes of Gionta and Blake.

I thought he played a steady and simple game last season. And I was actually pleasantly surpriced by him. But the fact that he's been prone to long lapses in his play this season has caused me sour on him. I do cut him some slack in that he's playing out of position as he's not a top pairing defenseman.

01-22-2007, 04:15 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why he gets a lot of flak but one of them is definitely his style of play. People expect big defensemen to be mean and nasty. But it's not his style. So right off the bat he is seen as lacking something because he doesn't fit the stereotype.

So he's already got that against him in the eyes of many fans. Add that to the fact that he's not an offensive defenseman, doesn't skate swiftly, doesn't fight, doesn't hit much and isn't a top shut-down guy, and you can see why people get on his case.

Fans expect players to excel at at least one aspect of the game, whether it's goal-scoring or checking or winning faceoffs. Malik this season has just been a disappointment.

I also think he's a bad fit in this conference where the Rangers have to deal with the speed of Buffalo, New Jersey, Carolina, Tampa and Ottawa. Actually he's probably a bad fit anywhere in the NHL these days.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why he gets a lot of flak but one of them is definitely his style of play. People expect big defensemen to be mean and nasty. But it's not his style. So right off the bat he is seen as lacking something because he doesn't fit the stereotype.

So he's already got that against him in the eyes of many fans. Add that to the fact that he's not an offensive defenseman, doesn't skate swiftly, doesn't fight, doesn't hit much and isn't a top shut-down guy, and you can see why people get on his case.

Fans expect players to excel at at least one aspect of the game, whether it's goal-scoring or checking or winning faceoffs. Malik this season has just been a disappointment.

I also think he's a bad fit in this conference where the Rangers have to deal with the speed of Buffalo, New Jersey, Carolina, Tampa and Ottawa. Actually he's probably a bad fit anywhere in the NHL these days.
Well said, thats how I see Malik. He is useless in every aspect of the game except shootouts

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hasnt made any bonehead plays?

Are you watching the same games i am? Hes horrible this year. His lack of speed alone has cost the Rangers plenty of goals and chances against. And i dont want to hear the crap about the plus minus... I think hes the luckiest player in the history of the NHL with that stat.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Larry Melnyk

OK, which one doesn't belong....

Rachunek -12
Tyutin -10
OZO -8
Pock -4
Ward -3
Kaspar -1
Roszy 0
MALIK +16 (yes, PLUS 16, and leads the team)

I agree that Malik made a bunch of bonehead plays early on but, in general, has been alot better recently...Like a Huber and Peter Popovic, nobody is ever gonna like his style (and I don't either) but alot of the times the team plays better with him on the ice compared to the other D-men....I know he plays wit Jagr alot, but the big +/- gap and his team leading +/- is too big to ignore..

Now, would I trade him if I could, sure! But I think he gets raked over a little too much especailly compared to the failings of the other D-men..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
WheresBarnaby

While he's made better plays as of late he's still making blind passes to no one, and rarely uses his size. He did throw a huge check last game, which is even worse, cause it shows he can check, but for some reason doesn't. He doesn't clear the net which is mind blowing to me, as while none of the other Rangers do either, again he has the size. He has no offensive ability which is fine, ( I enjoy a good stay at home defensman) but then don't join the rush or pinch, especially when your shot sucks, and your slow as hell. Last but not least, if your stick is parallel to the ice and in another guy's jersey it's going to be called HOOKING, apparently every game he still must take one of these. (That goes for you too #68)

Do we need more reasons?

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
No Malik is an easy target because he is just plain terrible.
and very easy to spot

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
OK, which one doesn't belong....

Rachunek -12
Tyutin -10
OZO -8
Pock -4
Ward -3
Kaspar -1
Roszy 0
MALIK +16 (yes, PLUS 16, and leads the team)

I agree that Malik made a bunch of bonehead plays early on but, in general, has been alot better recently...Like a Huber and Peter Popovic, nobody is ever gonna like his style (and I don't either) but alot of the times the team plays better with him on the ice compared to the other D-men....I know he plays wit Jagr alot, but the big +/- gap and his team leading +/- is too big to ignore..

Now, would I trade him if I could, sure! But I think he gets raked over a little too much especailly compared to the failings of the other D-men..

Well in general I feel that this plusminus stat is just taken too seriously. Also if I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure that Malik was out for a few games when the rangers were on their 7 game losing skid.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha15 View Post
Well in general I feel that this plusminus stat is just taken too seriously. Also if I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure that Malik was out for a few games when the rangers were on their 7 game losing skid.
And the reason they were in that losing streeak was becasue Malik was out of the line-up...OK, I kid...

Look, I'm no fan of Malik but I think he takes a bit too much crap relative to the other D-men....If you boo Malik, the entire D-core should be booed..Which is probably correct..

Old
01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
in the hall

I've posted this before.. almost every game I've been to Malik has been consistently the worst Dman on the ice and his mess ups always stand out

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:26 PM
SML

I hated the guy from the first day he put on a Rangers sweater. He is the most lethargic looking player I have ever watched. Some may call this "Patience" I just call it laziness. Notihng the guy does ever has any sort of urgency attached to it. How this wreck can make almost 3 million dollars a year playing a game he simply stinks at is beyond me. He constantly puts passes in his teammates' skates, reverses the puck to nobody at the hint of a forecheck, skates as though he hasn't a care in the world. He never initiates any sort of contact, and the guy couldn't clear the puck on the PK in one chance if you told him it would cure cancer. He's just an awful, awful excuse for a defenseman. Maybe he hid it well as a 3rd pair guy in Vancouver, but he has waaaaay too many glaring flaws to be leaned on for the kind of minutes that this team leans on him for.

Somebody should take him on Maury Povich because... in the case of Marek Malik...
Willie Huber- YOU ARE THE FATHER!!!

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
shoothepuck

SML, said it best, "Skates as though he hasn't a care in the world". He's the new Poti.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:14 PM
SML

One thing that constantly gets overlooked when we examine the Malik/Roszival pair is that they are always on the ice with the Jagr line. Bear with me here. When the Jagr line is on the ice, who is on the ice for the other team? Their best DEFENSIVE unit of forwards. Forwards who not only think defense first, but are considered to have done their part if both units change shift and nobody has scored. How many times do we see teams go with 5 men across their blueline vs. the Jagr line? Alot is the correct answer. SO the question I guess then is, how hard is it to be a plus 16 when A) You play almost all of your time with the three highest scoring forwards on the team out there with you,
B) The people you play against are so worried about stopping the guys you play with, that they rarely if ever even try to make an offensive rush?
I am telling you right now that you could take absolutely anybody and put them out there in these circumstances and they would do at least as well if not better. He doesn't even have to be that good of a defensive player because when the Jagr line is out there, the puck is either in the offensive zone or it's getting batted back and forth between bluelines until they make a line change. If you put Malik out there with any other line, the glaring weaknesses we all are seeing would be exposed that much more.

Old
01-22-2007, 08:18 PM
blandBob

I saw Malik floating behind the net for no good reason on Atlanta's second goal the other day. Mind you, I did not see the game, just saw a highlight of Marian Hossa's goal. I was asking in another thread whether there was something I missed, as there was no play being broken up behind the net, it was coming from the point down the wing. He was out of the play so far that I was trying to figure out what he was doing there.
Anyway, I don't get to see a ton of Ranger's games, but he does deserve the rap he gets. He also gives the puck away far too often, in my opinion.

Last edited by blandBob: 01-22-2007 at 08:26 PM.
blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:47 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
I saw Malik floating behind the net for no good reason on Atlanta's second goal the other day. Mind you, I did not see the game, just saw a highlight of Marian Hossa's goal. I was asking in another thread whether there was something I missed, as there was no play being broken up behind the net, it was coming from the point down the wing. He was out of the play so far that I was trying to figure out what he was doing there.
Anyway, I don't get to see a ton of Ranger's games, but he does deserve the rap he gets. He also gives the puck away far too often, in my opinion.
Malik should be on the Pack, and Purinton on the Rangers. At least Purinton would go psycho on someone if someone touched Lundqvist. Malik skates away like a little girl.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
I believe Malik has been doing fairly well lately.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
One thing that constantly gets overlooked when we examine the Malik/Roszival pair is that they are always on the ice with the Jagr line. Bear with me here. When the Jagr line is on the ice, who is on the ice for the other team? Their best DEFENSIVE unit of forwards. Forwards who not only think defense first, but are considered to have done their part if both units change shift and nobody has scored. How many times do we see teams go with 5 men across their blueline vs. the Jagr line? Alot is the correct answer. SO the question I guess then is, how hard is it to be a plus 16 when A) You play almost all of your time with the three highest scoring forwards on the team out there with you,
B) The people you play against are so worried about stopping the guys you play with, that they rarely if ever even try to make an offensive rush?
I am telling you right now that you could take absolutely anybody and put them out there in these circumstances and they would do at least as well if not better. He doesn't even have to be that good of a defensive player because when the Jagr line is out there, the puck is either in the offensive zone or it's getting batted back and forth between bluelines until they make a line change. If you put Malik out there with any other line, the glaring weaknesses we all are seeing would be exposed that much more.
Nobody overlooks that fact and of course it's a reason for Malik's GREAT +/-...But a +16 when it leads the TEAM and is light years better then his partner or anybody else still shows he is doiing alright at times..That's all..ANd iy you are gonna criticize Malik, all i'm saying is that the wildy incosistent and out of control Tyutin, the wandering and cosntantly out of position Rachunek, the mistake prone Pock, the just as slow Kaspar and the other team's 4th forward Aaron Ward all need to be reamed just as much....

Old
01-23-2007, 12:25 AM
dank

he is a big dude, but doesn't use his size. he's slow, and should not be out there.. ugh..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:30 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Nobody overlooks that fact and of course it's a reason for Malik's GREAT +/-...But a +16 when it leads the TEAM and is light years better then his partner or anybody else still shows he is doiing alright at times..That's all..ANd iy you are gonna criticize Malik, all i'm saying is that the wildy incosistent and out of control Tyutin, the wandering and cosntantly out of position Rachunek, the mistake prone Pock, the just as slow Kaspar and the other team's 4th forward Aaron Ward all need to be reamed just as much....
Hey Larry, you do realize that you are comparing Fedor Tyutin, who is a 23 year old defenseman with a mere 150 games under his belt, Pock, who at the age of 25 has a whopping 32 NHL games to his credit, and Rachunek, who even though he is 26, has less than 4 seasons worth of game experience, most of which were pre lockout and pre rule changes to Malik, who broke into the league well over 10 years ago? Kaspar has pretty much played his way off the Roster... and Ward gets to handle the other teams offensive forwards while your boy Marek gets to cruise around on autopilot with the rest of the fun bunch. If Kasparaitis were playing in Malik's position, he'd probably do just as well, as would Ward. The young guys I'm willing to cut a break because they're young. They will make mistakes, hopefully they learn from them. Malik, at this stage of the game, isn't going to learn anything new. Malik and Roszival are statistical wonders. If you only watched the boxscore, you'd think they're great. It's far from the truth.

Old
01-23-2007, 07:18 AM
DutchShamrock

I won't excuse Malik for being out of position no matter what his ranking on this team is. He is constantly letting forwards get behind him and open for passes and rebounds and deflections. If he can't stay with his man he should at least have enough sense to stay in a spot to minimize the high percentage chances. He constantly makes blind passes to no one and when he finally does connect the receiver is put in a dangerous postion because someone is closing in on him rapidly. Oh, and turnovers gallor. He adds nothing in the other areas.

Last year I was a big fan. He always seemed to break up the play at key moments. Made safe, smart passes. In fact, many here thought he covered for many of Roszival's blunders. Then over the off season the roles reversed, and so did the stats.

Please, please forget about that god awful +/- stat. It means nothing. There are so many things to take into account with that thing that you would need a book to break down the impact by an individual over a season. I think Roszival is much better and more consistent this season and yet he is merely even in the +/- category. So what's the story? Is he actually playing worse? Absolutely not. Malik is leading the team in that stat, does that make him our best defenseman? Laughable. The worst part is that he could easily be replaced by another deserving defenseman on the Pack that would probably make the same rookie mistakes but at least he could learn, get experience and we could actually have someone with effort.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:51 AM
chosen

Two reasons the crowd has turned on Malik:
  1. When things aren't going well they feel the need to have a whipping boy.
  2. Certain people at hockey games get besides themselves when they see a huge player that doesn't regularly hand out physical punishment. It doesn't matter that he is consistently our best plus minus defender to them. They want blood. And before anyone brings up that he plays with the Jagr line as proof of his plus minus, his career seems to be filled with good plus minus numbers. Roszival should be more in the sights of the Garden boobirds but once a decision is made we stick to it whether it is correct or not. Same thing happened with Poti. Two years ago he was terrible so he was booed regularly. Last year he played better than most of our defensemen (admittedly not a very high bar) yet continued to endure the wrath of the ignorant cement thinkers who had already closed the book on him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:56 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Malik should be on the Pack, and Purinton on the Rangers. At least Purinton would go psycho on someone if someone touched Lundqvist. Malik skates away like a little girl.
I have resisted for quite some time but I'm curious as to how old you are. From all of your posts it seems you would prefer to lose and watch brawls than to win. Maybe that's an overstatement but I don't think I'm alone on this opinion. Anyone who would want an idiotic and talentless goon playing defense makes me wonder what it is that you like about hockey. I like watching fights but I prefer watching talent.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Fletch

Larry..

+/- is tough to explain. I think overall Malik has been poor this season. I recall pointing to games in which the consensus was he was terrible, but was a +1, +2 or +3. It's something I personally cannot explain. I think Lundqvist works a little bit harder when he's out there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote