HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I Dont Trust Holmgren/Snider

Old
01-21-2007, 10:37 AM
PhillyFlyers1796

vCash: 500
I Dont Trust Holmgren/Snider

Everything ive read this past week has suggested a big free agency from the flyers. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. My fear is, Paul and Ed are going to be so desperate about making this team better, they are going to make dumb big name signings of different players and throw them all in the mix in order to get some wins on the board and to get fans in the seats. This is probably the worst thing they could do, worse then doing nothing. Making desperate attempts to make this team like buffalo by signing drury and briere is just flat out stupid.

This offseason needs to be about taking what little chemistry this team has and finding the right pieces to make it better. It should not be about signing guys like briere because there teams doing good now.

This post is really about frustration. While this season has sucked, its been a great opportunity to really build a great hockey club, but the 2 men at the top appear like they are going to ruin it. Its time to build a team, not just players.

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
Everything ive read this past week has suggested a big free agency from the flyers. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. My fear is, Paul and Ed are going to be so desperate about making this team better, they are going to make dumb big name signings of different players and throw them all in the mix in order to get some wins on the board and to get fans in the seats. This is probably the worst thing they could do, worse then doing nothing. Making desperate attempts to make this team like buffalo by signing drury and briere is just flat out stupid.

This offseason needs to be about taking what little chemistry this team has and finding the right pieces to make it better. It should not be about signing guys like briere because there teams doing good now.

This post is really about frustration. While this season has sucked, its been a great opportunity to really build a great hockey club, but the 2 men at the top appear like they are going to ruin it. Its time to build a team, not just players.
So you would be against bringing in a guy like Briere?
I think he would be a great addidtion to this team if we were fortunate enough to land a guy like that.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:49 PM
PhillyFlyers1796

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
I think he would be a great addidtion to this team if we were fortunate enough to land a guy like that.
Briere would have nearly the success hear that hes having in buffalo. Buffalo is a team designed for a player like him, philly isnt. Bringing in briere would be a waste of 5-6 million on a desperate attempt to bring this team "skill".

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
I've been beaten to the punch but Briere is not a player for Philly. I think the Sabres will re-sign him and let Drury walk. We need Drury more than we need Briere. He's a leader, he's strong defensively, he's strong offensively. Briere is a diving ***** that can only score in the new NHL. He was nothing two years ago. If he steps into our "system", he's nowhere near the player he is now.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Dr Love

I think I would vomit if the Flyers signed Briere. Good player, but I can't stand him.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
I think I would vomit if the Flyers signed Briere. Good player, but I can't stand him.
Pretty much how I feel. He's a good "New NHL" player, but like I said, he is not a Philadelphia Flyer. I know the Flyers have to cater more to the new style of play, but most fans wouldn't be able to stand him. The little elf that he is.

Haha, I was referring to him as "Santa's Little Helper" at a Sabres game last month, I nearly started a few fights.

Old
01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Pretty much how I feel. He's a good "New NHL" player, but like I said, he is not a Philadelphia Flyer. I know the Flyers have to cater more to the new style of play, but most fans wouldn't be able to stand him. The little elf that he is.

Haha, I was referring to him as "Santa's Little Helper" at a Sabres game last month, I nearly started a few fights.
Not only that, but if the NHL ever reverted to it's old ways (and it would be a gradual change, or like in the past over the month of October), he'd lose a lot of his value. Also, he's going to be 30 next season... (I thought he was going to turn 17 this year) he'll probably sign a 5 year contract... he'll be fine the first two years but then he's going to be worn down as the years go on. He wouldn't be as good of an investment as other FAs would be.

And of course, he's an annoying little evil elf.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
Not only that, but if the NHL ever reverted to it's old ways (and it would be a gradual change, or like in the past over the month of October), he'd lose a lot of his value. Also, he's going to be 30 next season... (I thought he was going to turn 17 this year) he'll probably sign a 5 year contract... he'll be fine the first two years but then he's going to be worn down as the years go on. He wouldn't be as good of an investment as other FAs would be.

And of course, he's an annoying little evil elf.
There's a lot of players in this league who would quickly make me forget that I ever hated them if they played for the Flyers. Briere is just not one of them. I passionately hate that guy.

Old
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Steve L*

I dont trust them either, Im scared of the trades coming at the deadline. eg Forsberg for Hal Gill and a 6th rounder.

Oh and I agree on Briere, he has a face you just want to punch.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I'm a little biased towards Brier because he was my favorite player when he played in Springfield. I wouldnt worry about signing him though, Buffalo I'm sure will resign him.

Drury is intriguing though.

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:18 PM
CapsChemist

i dont know if i wanna sign any big name centers. Gomez is the only one i like but i still wouldnt pay more then 4.5 million for him. I would rather we resign Forsberg and get a great UFA dman(Markov). If we trade forsberg i would like a great young goalie and picks.

P.S. If Briere ends up a Flyer my head will explode. God just the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach. If Holmgren is anything like Clarke i think our next center is Jason Allison.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
A Q&A with Holmgren and Gormley:

On Friday, Paul Holmgren, who was promoted to Flyers general manager after the Oct. 22 resignation of Bob Clarke, agreed to a phone interview from Minnesota with Courier-Post beat writer Chuck Gormley.

The following are excerpts from the interview, which addresses the Flyers' shortcomings, the job performance of coach John Stevens and the team's plans heading toward the Feb. 27 NHL trade deadline:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/sports/index.html

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Of course i would prefer to have Drury over Briere because of what he brings to the rink every night, but I wouldnt complain if we signed him. maybe he isnt "Flyer material". He would still be a major upgrade over what we have now. .ie a #1 center who misses 2/3 of the season.

Old
01-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I've been beaten to the punch but Briere is not a player for Philly. I think the Sabres will re-sign him and let Drury walk. We need Drury more than we need Briere. He's a leader, he's strong defensively, he's strong offensively. Briere is a diving ***** that can only score in the new NHL. He was nothing two years ago. If he steps into our "system", he's nowhere near the player he is now.
I'm with you on it, I just don't understand the hard-on for Briere. He has NEVER scored more than 65 points in a season, and I think his more than point-per-game production is due more to being on a great team with great ice time/chemistry than actual talent. My guess: he fizzles down the stretch, finishes around 75-80 points, and then wants a ton of money in the offseason. STAY AWAY, Holmgren.

Don't you wish Holmgren would listen to a few of us? We bashed the ****nik trade for a reason, we bashed the York trade even more. Some of us...SOME of us (not even me, ALL the time), can pretty much predict what will happen.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:24 AM
donelikedinner

the Flyers need leadership......please get some leadership

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:30 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner View Post
the Flyers need leadership......please get some leadership
agreed. and i hope that is adressed this offseason, because right now there isnt one guy who is capable if stepping up and being a leader on this roster.
Maybe its Mike Richards in a couple/3 seasons, but right now this has to be adressed.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 01-22-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old
01-22-2007, 09:02 AM
MojoJojo

Whats the use of having cap room if you dont use it to sign big name UFA's? We are going to have a lot of money to spend this offseason, so why not try to get the best players available and improve the team? I know free agency is often a crap shoot, but dont say the signings are stupid before we even see what we get.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Whats the use of having cap room if you dont use it to sign big name UFA's? We are going to have a lot of money to spend this offseason, so why not try to get the best players available and improve the team? I know free agency is often a crap shoot, but dont say the signings are stupid before we even see what we get.
Agreed. I just dont want them to go overboard and try to address all problems via free agency and not leave some room on the roster for young guys to try and win a job.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote