HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NHL NOT changing schedule...

Old
01-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
NHL NOT changing schedule...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2739579

Seems as though they may go back to playing division rivals 6 times instead of 8. I was kind of getting used to rivalries coming back. The cite the Eastern Conference cornering the market on marquee players (i.e., Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin). If that's true, it'll be an interesting knee-jerk reaction.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
WheresBarnaby

If it's true then that's lame, I too thought we were headed in a good direction schedule wise anyway. If the west is worried about the east cornering all the good players, then I guess they'll just have to start lossing more games. That way come next draft they'll be all set. Ovechkin and Crosby are just a crappy year away.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I'm actually thrilled about this for two reasons:

1. I felt robbed not being able to watch the rangers play certain west teams at least once a year.

2. The increased number of division games cheapened the value of each game in my opininon, fewer games against the division means each one of those is that more important to the standings and to the rivalry itself.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post

1. I felt robbed not being able to watch the rangers play certain west teams at least once a year.

2. The increased number of division games cheapened the value of each game in my opininon, fewer games against the division means each one of those is that more important to the standings and to the rivalry itself.
Totally agree. I'm getting tired of playing the Devils once a week, it's taken away from the rivalry, not added to it.

Rivalries are built in the playoffs, not the regular season, and in the playoffs the divisions are pretty much tossed out. You play conference teams, who may or may not be in your division. Trying to build rivalries during the regular season seems artificial.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:32 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like for it to change, but your buddy says not just yet:

Quote:
But Bettman remains unconvinced there will be the two-thirds majority required to make a change.

''What has happened is we've given this a very thorough examination and nobody as yet has suggested something that everybody likes better, which tells you that there's a great deal of merit in the current schedule,'' Bettman said. ''There are some people…not a lot, not a majority, not even close to a majority who are critical of (the current format). When we put this to bed, everyone will be comfortable, one way or another.''
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193261&hubname=nhl

01-23-2007, 10:41 AM
94now

I don't see big difference there. What could have made a difference is elimination of East/West conferences when comes to playoffs. I'd mixed all 16 playoffs teams and would let Vancouver to get Pittsburgh
in the 1st round so they could see Crosby on their ice. Teams wouldn't mind to travel during playoffs, while it is clearly a burden for any team during the regular season.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
score77

Send a message via AIM to score77
Quote:
The NHL will stay the course and will not change the regular schedule for at least one more year. That was the decision made by the league's board of governors on Tuesday in an effort to deal with its much-debated scheduling concerns.
http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=193326&hubName=main

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Same schedule next season means the Rangers will go to Vancouver,Calgary,Edmonton,Minnesota and Colorado and Anaheim,LA,SJ,Dallas and Phoenix visit the Garden next season

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
dave4

Thank Lou Lamoriello for this. Even with a new arena he's afraid of getting 8,000 paid attendance (5,000 actual) for a home game against the Canucks. He wants the Rangers in four times, not three, to artificially inflate the Devils' attendance.

And with eight games against the Rangers, even those games don't come close to a sellout anymore.

Old
01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Wow. I don't even know why I bother getting excited anymore when I hear about the league considering a change that I agree with. It almost never happens. Just another brilliant idea from the NHL, like playing the All-Star game on a weeknight.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Thank Lou Lamoriello for this. Even with a new arena he's afraid of getting 8,000 paid attendance (5,000 actual) for a home game against the Canucks. He wants the Rangers in four times, not three, to artificially inflate the Devils' attendance.

And with eight games against the Rangers, even those games don't come close to a sellout anymore.
I don't think Devils would draw much interest in Vancouver either.
They should start call themselves NY Devils. Lots of Isles fans would switch.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post

agreed!!

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:22 PM
clmetsfan

I was just talking with my brother about this the other day, too. Great move by the NHL.

After all, how do you drum up interest in a rivalry when the teams will just play again the next week? There's a reason why college football has the best rivalries in all of sports, and that's because you only get to play each other once a year.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
I like this idea. The current NHL schedule sucks. There is no rivalry between the Rangers and Isles anymore since they play each other so much. Im sick of seeing the Penguins each week.

I hope itll be more like 03-04. Those Ranger-Isles games were good. There was a big rivalry a few years ago ON THE ICE. Now it seems like the only part of the rivalry between the Rangers and the Isles is between the fans, not the on-ice product.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
^Guys, read through the entire topic. Someone posted a link saying that they're sticking with the current schedule for next year. There will be no change.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
^Guys, read through the entire topic. Someone posted a link saying that they're sticking with the current schedule for next year. There will be no change.

Ah, would you look at that.

Very well, we can all resume our Bettman sucks mantras. But it was nice to have some positive things to say on the way the NHL is being run, even if did only last for an hour or so.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Balej20*

UPDATE, 12:45: Never mind. From ESPN.COM: There won’t be an imminent change in the NHL schedule, after all. After sources indicated that the NHL’s board of governors were set to revert back to the pre-lockout schedule format, the group was again unable to reach an agreement on the issue when it met Tuesday morning in Dallas.

Sounds like the collective bargaining nonsense all over again.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

You guys are making way too much out of this schedule issue.The Rangers won't play five teams next season-Columbus,Chicago,St.Louis,Detroit and Nashville.If you really want to see the Rangers play those teams you will get your chance since the Rangers are playing four of those teams at the Garden in the next couple of months

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Fletch

I kind of like...

playing the Devils, etc., 8 times a year. While some may think it dilutes the 'rivalry' aspect, I actually think it intensifies a bit, but additionally, it does create a more interesting race where so many game are your proverbial '4 point' games, and those games seem more meaningful (a win's a win, but beating a division opponent is sweeter and more valuable).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:00 PM
jratelle19

If this is true, it'll mean two less sellouts for the Islanders and Devils.

jratelle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:28 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratelle19 View Post
If this is true, it'll mean two less sellouts for the Islanders and Devils.
The Islanders yes. Not the Devils, they can't even sell out Ranger games this year.

But it will replace a Ranger game with 17,000 fans with a Canuck game with 8,000 fans.

Old
01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Changed the title of the thread just so there's no confusion.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:03 PM
FLYLine24*

Playing any team 8 times in the regular season is such overkill.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Playing any team 8 times in the regular season is such overkill.
I disagree completely. In the 80's and early 90's Patrick Division teams played each other 7 times while other divisions played each other 8 times. Hockey was at its best at that time.

Give me as many division games as possible. In July when the schedule is released and I begin dividing up my tickets, the people who I regularly sell to are all looking to get games against the Flyers, Devils, Isles, and Penguins. Next would be the Habs and Leafs. After that, they are just throw-ins.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 05:57 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I disagree completely. In the 80's and early 90's Patrick Division teams played each other 7 times while other divisions played each other 8 times. Hockey was at its best at that time.

Give me as many division games as possible. In July when the schedule is released and I begin dividing up my tickets, the people who I regularly sell to are all looking to get games against the Flyers, Devils, Isles, and Penguins. Next would be the Habs and Leafs. After that, they are just throw-ins.
There was also 20-26 teams at the time. There wasn't an issue with playing other teams at least twice a season. You didn't have to worry about waiting 3 years to see Gretzky and the Oilers at the Garden. That is one of the many evils of a 30 team league.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote