HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Emelin

Old
06-22-2013, 02:30 PM
hersky77

vCash: 500
Saw him walking on st catherine yesterday with his wife and kid, the guy is ways away from being in any shape to play. Can barley walk and has a major limp. But man is he built like a tank.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I heard Belov goes crazy the odd time.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:09 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
He's become soft since his return. He's passing up on lots of chances to hit. The Panthers goal last night was a perfect example. Puck in the corner, he slows down with the forward, gets outmuscled for the puck and then boom, goal.

I hope this is just a temporary thing.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's become soft since his return. He's passing up on lots of chances to hit. The Panthers goal last night was a perfect example. Puck in the corner, he slows down with the forward, gets outmuscled for the puck and then boom, goal.

I'm guessing it is temporary. You're totally right -- Emelin has become tentative, both physically and mentally. Plenty of mental goofs, plenty of checks avoided. He needs to get his swagger back, along with his vision. Based on most players who recover from long-term injuries, it will take awhile, but he should be back to 100% by March.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I'd guess his timing for hits is off because he didn't have any pre-season and his confidence in going for those hits is down because of it.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
GoodKiwi

The guy is -14 in his last 12 games I believe with one point. I know +/- isn't the end of it all, but still, that's one ugly stat line.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Hopefully the Olympics can give him some confidence. I really think it's all in his head. And no I don't mean the chip or whatever he's got implanted.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
The guy is -14 in his last 12 games I believe with one point. I know +/- isn't the end of it all, but still, that's one ugly stat line.
In an ideal world, Emelin would play on the second pairing left side with Gorges or Diaz or even Subban on the right side. Gorges was good on the right side a couple of years ago when he was paired with Markov.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:10 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

His -11 has him worst on the team in +/- Worse than Bouillon and Murray. Granted, he was shoved into a top 4 role right after coming back from injury and is playing on his off side. Either emelin is awful or management is completely inept. Maybe a bit of both.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I would like to see one of the kids from Hamilton called up, because not one of Bouillon, Murray, or Emelin are getting the job done with any consistency. We bench one to play another in his spot. That guy plays poorly, so we bench him to play another his spot. Then that guy plays poorly, so we bench him...and so on. Stop the rotating carousel and try something different.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
JohnLennon

We need to bring up Pateryn next season. Not only is he the Dogs' best defenseman, but he is also a right-sided defenseman. Next season's pairings might look something like this:

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Emelin-Pateryn

Not too bad in my opinion, but that's mainly because I like Diaz more than most posters on this site.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

The Habs just invested long term in Emelin so they need to find a way to get him going or it may not end up well otherwise...

Dunno what happened. He has been solid for a small stretch after he came nack but then everythiing went down the drain. I was thinking that he was playing injured but now i don't know....it may very well be confidance issues.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Markov - Subban (our team was playing our best with these 2 together)
Emelin - Gorges (Emelin plays way better on the left side and also Emelin was playing a lot better when he was with Gorges)
Tinordi - Diaz (I'd rather have Tinordi learning from his mistakes than have plugs like Bouillon and Murray playing)

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
His -11 has him worst on the team in +/- Worse than Bouillon and Murray. Granted, he was shoved into a top 4 role right after coming back from injury and is playing on his off side. Either emelin is awful or management is completely inept. Maybe a bit of both.
He played his off side last year and in the KHL, not sure why people keep bringing it up...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He played his off side last year and in the KHL, not sure why people keep bringing it up...
Because he's worse on his offside? I'm not sure how anything you said changes anything I said.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCMBeaulieu View Post
Emelin - Gorges (Emelin plays way better on the left side and also Emelin was playing a lot better when he was with Gorges)
Tinordi - Diaz (I'd rather have Tinordi learning from his mistakes than have plugs like Bouillon and Murray playing)
%100 agree with you. Also, Tinordi adds another dimension.

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 4415
Quote:
They signed Emelin while he was still rehabbing.

They clear him for play on Nov. 16th, logs in 16:04 minutes. His minutes go up the next two games, they attribute his poor play to rust. He's then used between 16 and 19 minutes on most other games, but with no clear sign that he's anything close to what he was prior to his injury.

Has now played 24 games and all kinds of theories are floating about. Is there still a residual effect from his injury and if so, how much and for how long? Other than that, we can talk about how he is being used, but I doubt that has much to do with the player he was before the injury. Is it something psychological? Is he afraid of getting hurt?

Out of the 24 games he's played, he's had 14 games with 3 or more hits. He's posted 8 hits on Jan. 4 against Ottawa but none during his last 2 games against Florida and Philly. Last 2 games are probably just an anomaly given that there was only one other game where he had no hits back on Dec. 15.

Can't seem to find his stride, despite being paired with Markov, with whom he was playing quite well last year. Is it just something he needs to play through? It's puzzling.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Other than being of the same nationality...I have trouble understanding why the coaching staff continues to play Emelin and Markov together.

I don't think they've ever shown great chemistry together.

And as everyone has pointed out, he doesn't seem comfortable on the right side...the only left handed shot on the team, who seems adaptable to both sides is Gorges (I actually think he plays better on his offside).

It's going to be interesting to see what the Habs do with the defence going forward...

Not sure how you can reasonly play 2-3 rookies (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn) in the top 6 next year. It's tiem one of them gets a shot at the expense of one of the vets (Bouillon/Murray). So that all 3 can eventually all be gradually phased in...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Kev9090

it's simple, he always end up on the left side ! He needs to play on the left !

Kev9090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
They signed Emelin while he was still rehabbing.

They clear him for play on Nov. 16th, logs in 16:04 minutes. His minutes go up the next two games, they attribute his poor play to rust. He's then used between 16 and 19 minutes on most other games, but with no clear sign that he's anything close to what he was prior to his injury.

Has now played 24 games and all kinds of theories are floating about. Is there still a residual effect from his injury and if so, how much and for how long? Other than that, we can talk about how he is being used, but I doubt that has much to do with the player he was before the injury. Is it something psychological? Is he afraid of getting hurt?

Out of the 24 games he's played, he's had 14 games with 3 or more hits. He's posted 8 hits on Jan. 4 against Ottawa but none during his last 2 games against Florida and Philly. Last 2 games are probably just an anomaly given that there was only one other game where he had no hits back on Dec. 15.

Can't seem to find his stride, despite being paired with Markov, with whom he was playing quite well last year. Is it just something he needs to play through? It's puzzling.
There's obviously no exact timetable for getting one's mojo back, but knee injuries clearly take a few months. Markov looked like a ghost during the first month back with Montreal and needed another two/three months in Russia during the lockout before finally rejoining the Habs at 100%. Emelin is going through the same mish-mash of issues that every player goes through post-injury, but there's no reason to think he won't eventually regain his form as well.

The Olympics might do him a lot of good.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:53 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCMBeaulieu View Post
The only problem is that you'd be playing Gorges on his off-side, and he's not as effective on the right. Also, don't you think Pateryn is more NHL ready right now? Things may be different at the end of the season, but at this point in time I think Pateryn is clearly the only defense call-up.

Tinordi struggled quite a bit at the start of his season in Hamilton, and is just recently playing better.

Old
01-09-2014, 01:56 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
The only problem is that you'd be playing Gorges on his off-side, and he's not as effective on the right. Also, don't you think Pateryn is more NHL ready right now? Things may be different at the end of the season, but at this point in time I think Pateryn is clearly the only defense call-up.

Tinordi struggled quite a bit at the start of his season in Hamilton, and is just recently playing better.
that's the thing, Gorges IS the same wether he plays left or right. Nothing changes in his game when he plays on the right.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
that's the thing, Gorges IS the same wether he plays left or right. Nothing changes in his game when he plays on the right.
Gorges:

Was he asked to play on right side ? Does he want to play on right side ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 02:07 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Really? I didn't realize this. I never thought he was as good on his right. My mistake!

Old
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Because he's worse on his offside? I'm not sure how anything you said changes anything I said.
He played his best NHL hockey last year...playing his off side...so how would he be "worse" there?

He's struggling because he's just coming back from ACL surgery and his timing is a bit off has nothing to do with left or right side.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote