HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2014, 09:48 AM
  #626
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Rangers started out a little in awe of Erie last night but after they scored the first goal the played like they were on a mission. Brown had one assist and Fox was held pointless. Seemed like both spent the entire game on the ice trying to spark something. The Rangers had them frustrated by the third and they really had no answer to them. Gaunce had their only two goals in the first. They hit three post but in saying that the Rangers had a bunch of chances they failed to capitalize on also. Erie tried their best to intimidate the young Ranger players with hits, slashes and chirped but received a few hard body checks back for their troubles. Robinson had a hat trick in this one.
It was a great game and a total team effort.

Unfortunately, Robinson hurt his wrist in Erie, and is out indefinitely. Between the 9 or 10 rookies every night and the injuries to the few vets on the team, this year has been ridiculous.

It sounds as though Smith is through coddling the team - sometimes a pat on the back works well, but a kick in the butt does too. His timeout on Friday night was what woke up the boys.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
  #627
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I suspect that something will be worked out as well.
While London is a rival, Mark Hunter and Hiebert will work out a mutual agreeable resolution!
To my knowledge, there has been nothing new on this issue. I am of the opinion that the Hunters will or already have told the Rangers they can go pound salt. Buyer beware, in other words.

Unless the league steps in, I highly doubt the Hunters will be sending any compensation the Rangers' way - nor should they IMO. And why would they? If Leroux was damaged goods, wouldn't it have been up to the Rangers to insist on conditions that he pass a physical before the deal is completed? There was no secret that he was out with a shoulder injury shortly before the deal. The Rangers are guilty of not doing their due diligence I'd think.

If I'm the Hunters, and I agree on some sort of compensation to the Rangers, wouldn't I be admitting fault or acknowledging I knew that I sent damaged goods the other way in a deal? That's not gonna happen.

And the Hunters' refusing to compensate the Rangers, if Leroux was damaged goods, won't affect their ability to deal with OHL GM's in the future. All future trade partners will have to do, is do their own due diligence by either having players pass physicals before a deal is completed and/or have conditional picks included should a similar situation arise.

The only question here is whether or not the Rangers have, or are planning to, put in a complaint to the league? And if so, do they have a case?

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
01-03-2014, 09:11 AM
  #628
bobber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 582
vCash: 500
If it's true that the Rangers are in discussion with Hunter its obvious something was said about Leroux being injured in the Belleville game the week before when he was a Knight. Could be he got a clean bill of health before that game? Personally I think the Rangers should have stayed away from any player with shoulder problems. They went after Leroux and over paid which makes it worse. It's not the first time a player has been dealt with a hidden injury. If the Knights had any class they would offer compensation in this case but they also have the option to tell Hiebert to pound salt. Not to proactive going forward one would think. Other than that their only other option is the league.

bobber is offline  
Old
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  #629
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Well, a last minute game changing goal and it wasn't against the Rangers for a change.

The Magyar-MacInnis-Pederson line is flying, and Bailey had a couple of nice plays.

The whole team still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the puck - Dekort got hung out to dry a number of times, and the first couple of goals were not his fault.

The good teams will still tear this team apart, but getting a win against a team they should beat is a step in the right direction.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
  #630
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Well, a last minute game changing goal and it wasn't against the Rangers for a change.

The Magyar-MacInnis-Pederson line is flying, and Bailey had a couple of nice plays.

The whole team still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the puck - Dekort got hung out to dry a number of times, and the first couple of goals were not his fault.

The good teams will still tear this team apart, but getting a win against a team they should beat is a step in the right direction.
Pointless hypothetical scenerio:....

Had a discussion last night during the game and I thought it was interesting and wanted to hear what other ppl have to say.

If this years goalkeeping was placed on last years team and John Gibson/Franky was on this years team. Which team would finish higher?
I know last years team had the experienced "star" players but in reality how many games did the goalies bail the team out of a loss?

I think it would be quite close even though the logical answer would be last years team would prevail. I just think last years team was a group of individuals which severely underperformed.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-04-2014, 05:19 PM
  #631
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
To my knowledge, there has been nothing new on this issue. I am of the opinion that the Hunters will or already have told the Rangers they can go pound salt. Buyer beware, in other words.
That very well could be the final verdict. But I suspect a discussion has happened but nothing will be resolved one way or another till late January or even later.
I suspect Mark Hunter has bigger and more important fish to fry at the present time.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 05:32 PM
  #632
kwrangersfan22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Brown states that should Cascagnette (10 games played, 7 during WJC) play 1 more game then his ohl card kicks in. I was under the impression that while the WJC was going on, these games didn't count towards ohl card. Anyone know?

kwrangersfan22 is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
  #633
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Pointless hypothetical scenerio:....

Had a discussion last night during the game and I thought it was interesting and wanted to hear what other ppl have to say.
If this years goalkeeping was placed on last years team and John Gibson/Franky was on this years team. Which team would finish higher?
I know last years team had the experienced "star" players but in reality how many games did the goalies bail the team out of a loss?

I think it would be quite close even though the logical answer would be last years team would prevail. I just think last years team was a group of individuals which severely underperformed.
It's an interesting discussion. Greenfield has been pretty good for a kid thrown into the fire, and Dekort hasn't been as bad as his stats show. Last year's team had oodles more skill and experience than this crop, but they didn't play like it most of the time. In that respect, I prefer watching this group of rookies, despite their inexperience in not being able to close out teams when they get a lead.

Gibson on this year's team would be fun to watch. Greenfield and/or Dekort on last year's team would have been disaster.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
01-08-2014, 09:56 AM
  #634
Acad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Let's go Murray, time to trade Faska+ others, let's build for the future.

IN MURRAY, WE TRUST.

Acad is offline  
Old
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
  #635
KnightRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
With London getting Smith from OS, this must mean Radek is staying put??? I hope not for Rangers fans, but who else is interested? And where will he go? I thought London as it was still close to KW and he would get to play in the show!

Maybe Ktown wanted too much! Or maybe they were never in talks. Who knows!

KnightRanger is offline  
Old
01-08-2014, 02:23 PM
  #636
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra
 
ErieOttersNews's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Erie,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
With London getting Smith from OS, this must mean Radek is staying put??? I hope not for Rangers fans, but who else is interested? And where will he go? I thought London as it was still close to KW and he would get to play in the show!

Maybe Ktown wanted too much! Or maybe they were never in talks. Who knows!
Oshawa is really the only spot left for an import.

ErieOttersNews is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 11:34 AM
  #637
JenniferHanson531
WPG's Own Villain
 
JenniferHanson531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg/London
Country: Canada
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Kitchener Rangers ‏@OHLRangers 2m
Rangers have traded C Radek Faksa to Sudbury in exchange for LW Dominik Kubalik and two 2nd rd picks (2014/2016). Full release to follow.

JenniferHanson531 is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
  #638
KnightRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post
Let's go Murray, time to trade Faska+ others, let's build for the future.

IN MURRAY, WE TRUST.
On the Faksa deal alone, he just passed Steve Spott on the all time list of GM's the Rangers have employed!

KnightRanger is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
  #639
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
good deal for us. Radek needed a fresh start imo and getting back a player and two 2nds is good in my books.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
  #640
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
On the Faksa deal alone, he just passed Steve Spott on the all time list of GM's the Rangers have employed!
He also passed Spott on the all time list of best coaches the Rangers have employed and he hasn't set foot behind the bench.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
  #641
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
On the Faksa deal alone, he just passed Steve Spott on the all time list of GM's the Rangers have employed!
Everyone is ahead of Spott!

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
  #642
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
He also passed Spott on the all time list of best coaches the Rangers have employed and he hasn't set foot behind the bench.



Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
  #643
KnightRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
He also passed Spott on the all time list of best coaches the Rangers have employed and he hasn't set foot behind the bench.
Yes he did!!!

Finally looks like things will improve in Rangerland. No one was happier than me when Spott was promoted!

KnightRanger is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
  #644
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
Yes he did!!!
No one was happier than me when Spott was promoted!
Looks like a bunch of people are tied for 1st place in happiness!!

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
  #645
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Looks like a bunch of people are tied for 1st place in happiness!!
I did cartwheels, and I never could before.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
  #646
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I did cartwheels, and I never could before.
In all seriousness if Spott was still here he probably would've been a buyer to make a 'run for the Memorial Cup for our 51st Anniversary'!

I also suspect this was why the trade didn't happen with London....much better return than whatever London could've offered up!


Last edited by Ward Cornell: 01-09-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 01:19 PM
  #647
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
In all seriousness if Spott was still here he probably would've been a buyer to make a 'run for the Memorial Cup for our 51st Anniversary'!

I also suspect this was why the trade didn't happen with London....much better return than whatever London could've offered up!
For sure. Anyone with the current GM job in Kitchener had to realize that a 2nd round pick in 2014 was a necessity and London couldn't provide that. And the second one in 2016 gives us some leverage as well which London couldn't have provided.

Hiebert inherited a team that was going to play .350 hockey all season and had no 2nd round picks until 2017 and turned it into a team that'll play .350 hockey and has 2nd round picks in every year now, plus a couple players who will be here for a few more years. That's sound work if you ask me.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
  #648
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Hiebert inherited a team that was going to play .350 hockey all season and had no 2nd round picks until 2017 and turned it into a team that'll play .350 hockey and has 2nd round picks in every year now, plus a couple players who will be here for a few more years. That's sound work if you ask me.
and Hiebert could flip Kubalik before the import draft and then draft a high import.
I suspect Sergeev age is more in line with the Rangers peaking 2 years from now.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 01:28 PM
  #649
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
At these prices I hope Murray still has more work to do regardless of what he says.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
  #650
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
At these prices I hope Murray still has more work to do regardless of what he says.
I'm not sure he does. Our tradeable assets are dwindling. I've heard there have been inquiries about Iafrate, but he'll be back as an OA and is our only toughness.

Not to mention the prices for him and Marcantuoni won't likely be high enough to pull the trigger. If someone offers two 2nds for either though, you do it.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.