HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is this wrong?

Old
01-23-2007, 03:03 PM
slapshot™

vCash: 500
Is this wrong?

The other night I was was called to play for a team that I've never played for before. As a goaltender you get the luxury to sub for many teams and ice time is never a problem. The phone is always ringing.

We were throwing our gear on and I couldn't believe what was happening across the room...

Buddy pulled a Team Canada sweater from his hockey bag and used it as a carpet. Most of us carry a piece of carpet to stand on as we gear up and the few that don't have one will use a towel. But a hockey sweater....let alone, a Team Canada sweater!?!?!

To me, he might as well have pulled a Canadian flag from his hockey bag and stepped all over it. Any sweater, even the beer team sweater for the club he was playing on shouldn't be tossed to the floor and trod on....but a Team Canada sweater!?!?!? To me, that is soooooooo wrong. To even do that to a Toronto Maple Leaf sweater is wrong!

I hid my disgust and averted my eyes. I didn't want to call out the guy as I've never played for this club before but was even more astounded that no one else on the club called him on it.

What I saw blew me away.

What are YOUR thoughts on it? No biggie or should the dude be hung up, drawn and quartered?

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Kinda distasteful. I'm American, I wouldn't do the same with an American one, but some people are just stupid. Especially when he could probably get a towel to stand on for like $3.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Wooty

No biggie, it wasn't a flag, it was a shirt.

The flag doesn't really mean anything anyway - if you don't assign it a value, it means nothing.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
No biggie, it wasn't a flag, it was a shirt.

The flag doesn't really mean anything anyway - if you don't assign it a value, it means nothing.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot™ View Post
The other night I was was called to play for a team that I've never played for before. As a goaltender you get the luxury to sub for many teams and ice time is never a problem. The phone is always ringing.

We were throwing our gear on and I couldn't believe what was happening across the room...

Buddy pulled a Team Canada sweater from his hockey bag and used it as a carpet. Most of us carry a piece of carpet to stand on as we gear up and the few that don't have one will use a towel. But a hockey sweater....let alone, a Team Canada sweater!?!?!

To me, he might as well have pulled a Canadian flag from his hockey bag and stepped all over it. Any sweater, even the beer team sweater for the club he was playing on shouldn't be tossed to the floor and trod on....but a Team Canada sweater!?!?!? To me, that is soooooooo wrong. To even do that to a Toronto Maple Leaf sweater is wrong!
Hmm, I must beg to differ. Toronto and Philly jerseys are ok to be used in this context.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
lotus

eh it would bother me too, but I also wouldn't have said anything.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:23 PM
redlighthockey

Quote:

I hid my disgust and averted my eyes. I didn't want to call out the guy as I've never played for this club before but was even more astounded that no one else on the club called him on it.

What I saw blew me away.

What are YOUR thoughts on it? No biggie or should the dude be hung up, drawn and quartered?
Maybe he wasn't canadian?

redlighthockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
eh it would bother me too, but I also wouldn't have said anything.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlighthockey View Post
Maybe he wasn't canadian?
Doesn't matter. I'm American, and I wouldn't do that to a Canadian, Russian, Czech, etc jersey. I think people should have a little more respect than that.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
MikeD

A jersey isnt a flag. Its not a matter of respect or a lack of. What if it had been team canada socks he stood on? its just a piece of clothing. I wouldnt simply bacause of the expense of the jersey. they arent cheap and using one to stand on is pretty stupid. I have flipped the top of my bag over and used that when I had too...

One can take some things just a bit too far. Plus, why try to push your own morality on another? I would have openly laughed at the guy but not been upset or angry. Attitude isnt so much what happens to you as it is how you let it affect you.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 05:31 PM
redlighthockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Doesn't matter. I'm American, and I wouldn't do that to a Canadian, Russian, Czech, etc jersey. I think people should have a little more respect than that.

Hopefully you wouldn't have a Canadian jersey in your bag in the first place.

redlighthockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:48 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I agree -- that player is ignorant. But I don't define myself by a national flag or symbol. Since slapshot is only playing one game with them I'd call it a non-issue. Too many intense personalities on a hockey team to fight everybody with an offensive POV. That kind of thing you could hash out over a full season and not get anywhere.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A jersey isnt a flag. Its not a matter of respect or a lack of. What if it had been team canada socks he stood on? its just a piece of clothing. I wouldnt simply bacause of the expense of the jersey. they arent cheap and using one to stand on is pretty stupid. I have flipped the top of my bag over and used that when I had too...

One can take some things just a bit too far. Plus, why try to push your own morality on another? I would have openly laughed at the guy but not been upset or angry. Attitude isnt so much what happens to you as it is how you let it affect you.
sorry buddy, but if you knew anything about hockey, you'd know that to a hockey player, a national jersey is pretty much a flag, you wear it with pride

using it as a mat is very disrespectful

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:40 AM
nni

i would thing it was just stupid more than anything else. there is a chance this guy had nothing else to use and used to, BUT if he wont get a $3 towel then he is just an idiot.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:50 AM
stick9

I use a Montreal jersey to wipe my.....err nvm.

Ok, I am kidding.

Yeah, seems a little odd to me. Maybe he thought of it as just another jersey.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Hank19

Quote:

What I saw blew me away.

I don't see the big deal at all. He bought it, he can do what he wants with it. If it had been a Canadian flag then maybe. But a jersey? I'd put no weight into it at all.
I'm with MikeD. If people are getting that upset they're taking things a little too seriously. I mean, it's not like he was burning a flag on Rememberance Day.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote