HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How the Rangers can relieve the LA Kings Goaltending Dept.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2007, 02:48 PM
  #26
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 33,984
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Weekes to the Kings for Kanko???
as a Monarchs fan i would HATE that deal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:25 PM
  #27
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
The Kings have the ability to bring up a guy but they don't want to lose him to waivers.


Can't have your cake and eat it to. They keep holding on to Labarbera because they are paranoid of losing him but now they've essentially painted themselves into a corner. Is keeping a 27 year old AHL goalie so important that you now have to go out and make trades.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
  #28
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,230
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The Kings have the ability to bring up a guy but they don't want to lose him to waivers.


Can't have your cake and eat it to. They keep holding on to Labarbera because they are paranoid of losing him but now they've essentially painted themselves into a corner. Is keeping a 27 year old AHL goalie so important that you now have to go out and make trades.
Actually yes you can. He is that important that we're keeping him in the AHL so that we don't lose him because A) the Monarchs are winning with him at the helm, and winning is good for the kids on the farm, and B)more likely than not, he'll be our starter next season on the Kings with Cloutier(if he isn't hurt or retired) backing him up. The season is lost, there is no need to make a trade for a goaltender, especially a mediocre one like Weekes. Getting Burke was more about saving the mindset of our young players not ready for the NHL, than it was about winning.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
  #29
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,738
vCash: 500
I want to see Montoya in some games, before he gets traded.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
  #30
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Weekes is mediocre?

I think he'd be a better starter than a backup. He just may surprise people - he's done it before.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:39 AM
  #31
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Actually yes you can. He is that important that we're keeping him in the AHL so that we don't lose him because A) the Monarchs are winning with him at the helm, and winning is good for the kids on the farm, and B)more likely than not, he'll be our starter next season on the Kings with Cloutier(if he isn't hurt or retired) backing him up. The season is lost, there is no need to make a trade for a goaltender, especially a mediocre one like Weekes. Getting Burke was more about saving the mindset of our young players not ready for the NHL, than it was about winning.
If a 27 year old career AHL goalie with one pretty mediocre season as a backup is worth that much, than your team might as be playing on the USS Enterprise because you're definatly charting brave new worlds.

If Cloutier or the other goalies aren't in the plans for next season than it makes ZERO cents that the Kings care about what happens to them when they come back. Labarbera isn't some 21 year old kid, you're talking about a guy who was drafted 9 years ago. Sorry but you don't juggle your team that much unless you've got the next great goalie in your system. i don't care how much an AHL team depends on it, that's poor assement management on Rangers-like scale.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:12 PM
  #32
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,230
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If a 27 year old career AHL goalie with one pretty mediocre season as a backup is worth that much, than your team might as be playing on the USS Enterprise because you're definatly charting brave new worlds.

If Cloutier or the other goalies aren't in the plans for next season than it makes ZERO cents that the Kings care about what happens to them when they come back. Labarbera isn't some 21 year old kid, you're talking about a guy who was drafted 9 years ago. Sorry but you don't juggle your team that much unless you've got the next great goalie in your system. i don't care how much an AHL team depends on it, that's poor assement management on Rangers-like scale.
He is. The Kings goaltending is a mess, and none of the guys on the market next season scream out as a fix. The only reason JLB's season was so bad last year is because his wife was diagnosed with cancer mid way through. He took time off to be with her during her chemo treatments and never regained the form he had at the start of the season. Understandably with what his wife was going through. Cloutier just had hip surgery. There's no saying how long he'll be out, or if he'll even want to stay in the game after this ****** season. Garon is due to walk as a free agent. Brust and Fukufuji are no where near ready. JLB is healthy and is competent as a starter until Bernier is ready to make the jump to the bigs, and who knows, by that time we could have someone as a legitimate starter. It's not poor asset management, it's smart asset management.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:24 AM
  #33
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He is. The Kings goaltending is a mess, and none of the guys on the market next season scream out as a fix. The only reason JLB's season was so bad last year is because his wife was diagnosed with cancer mid way through. He took time off to be with her during her chemo treatments and never regained the form he had at the start of the season. Understandably with what his wife was going through. Cloutier just had hip surgery. There's no saying how long he'll be out, or if he'll even want to stay in the game after this ****** season. Garon is due to walk as a free agent. Brust and Fukufuji are no where near ready. JLB is healthy and is competent as a starter until Bernier is ready to make the jump to the bigs, and who knows, by that time we could have someone as a legitimate starter. It's not poor asset management, it's smart asset management.
A 27 year old pretty much career AHL goalie, a 31 year old goalie who is running into injury problems and at his best is a goalie who didn't seem to win the big ones, another pretty much career AHL goalie who is going to be leaving as an free agent and one giant cluster **** of a goaltending carousel that has now seen you bring in Burke is good asset management?

And all this is based on the hope that Labarbera can do something he's never done before and emerge as a starter at the NHL level until a goaltending prospect ready? And with all due respect to what Labs has been through, he's never been more than a potential NHL backup.

On top of this if my your own admission Garon walks, Cloutier is possibly done and the prospects aren't ready how again does it make sense that LAbs (aka the guy who is being expected to bridge the gap) is playing in the AHL? If Labs is the guy you're looking to for the future and not Garon or Cloutier, than you don't really care what happens to those guys or whether they clear waivers and go to the AHL.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 05:49 AM
  #34
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,032
vCash: 500
Dude, why would the Kings call up LB while it is almost a guarantee he won't pass waivers. This season is lost, we pay 50% of Burke's salary and only for the remaining of the season.

To trade for Cloutier and send Labarbera down that was poor management.

You can come up with "career AHL goalie", "unproven" etc, etc. We know what Labarbara is capable of and it may not pan out but want to give it a shot.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 08:34 AM
  #35
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
I think the whole thing doesn't make any sense. At this point brust and fukufuji have more experience than montoya does at the NHL level...
bringing in montoya for next year might be possible, but with cloutiers contract and garon there just isn't space for montoya.

LA is rebuilding big time, and doing a fairly good job of it from what I see. Yes they have some issues, but that is to be expected.

expect la to give burke as much ice time as he can handle.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 06:27 PM
  #36
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Dude, why would the Kings call up LB while it is almost a guarantee he won't pass waivers.
Dude, why is he down there in the first place?

If he's the supposed goalie you're counting on for the future or at least until the future goalie arrives, you don't back yourself into a corner where you now can't recall him.

Quote:
To trade for Cloutier and send Labarbera down that was poor management.
Exactly my point. If Labarbera is the one you're counting on than he's not the one you send down to the AHL and paint yourself into a corner with because now you have to make a bunch of moves to cover for it.

Quote:
You can come up with "career AHL goalie", "unproven" etc, etc. We know what Labarbara is capable of and it may not pan out but want to give it a shot.

You're talking to fans who watched him for the better part of 7 years, I think we've got a pretty good "idea" of what he is capable of as well and having to go through this whole situation for a guy with that kind of upside is not the best move in the world.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:39 PM
  #37
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
While the proposal sounds nice, no way LA does it, it makes no sense for them at this time.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:18 PM
  #38
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,062
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Isuro Tanaka from Major League II in net than Fukufuji.



NO MARBLES!!!


Last edited by The Amity Affliction: 01-23-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Removed Extra Image Tags
The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:30 PM
  #39
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
You Have No Mawwbles!!!!!!

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:30 PM
  #40
Cartman27
 
Cartman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
The Kings should just quit while there ahead. Its quite obvious whoever they stick between the pipes is going to A) Get hurt or B) Get Dan Cloutier syndrome. (not being able to stop a beach ball)



Seriously tho the Kings need some


Last edited by Cartman27: 01-23-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:17 AM
  #41
VisionQuest*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Erm, Bernier?

Talk to me in three or four years when hes a viable, possible, NHL backup.

Its going to be a long time before he sees any regular season action for the Kings.

They do need goaltending in the meantime, I would imagine that's something Dean is going to try and address through free agency around 08-09, until then, its all stop gaps until the organization is headed in the right direction.

I have a feeling its going to be sometime before Bernier is given the chance to win the #1 job. Rushing goalies hasnt seem to have worked out for the Kings in the past.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:20 AM
  #42
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Erm, Bernier?

Talk to me in three or four years when hes a viable, possible, NHL backup.

Its going to be a long time before he sees any regular season action for the Kings.

They do need goaltending in the meantime, I would imagine that's something Dean is going to try and address through free agency around 08-09, until then, its all stop gaps until the organization is headed in the right direction.

I have a feeling its going to be sometime before Bernier is given the chance to win the #1 job. Rushing goalies hasnt seem to have worked out for the Kings in the past.
I don't know if Bernier will be a #1 one day. As of right now, I'm not convinced he was even the best goaltender in the 2006 draft, which was a weak class for goaltenders. I think Irving and Varlamov were the tops, and Helenius wasn't too far behind.

With that being said, Montoya has the potential to be an ELITE starter. He has all of the tools, and is already a successful AHL goaltender. Two time AHL All-Star, and the first time that he was an AHL All-Star, he was a rookie.

I don't think the Kings should trade for Montoya, it doesn't make sense at this point, unless something happens to Bernier. By the time Montoya would establish himself at the NHL level, Bernier would be in his rookie year, and then you have* a situation of Richter/Beezer hights to deal with, that can get real hairy.

Even though I'd love to get O'Sullivan or Jack Johnson from them in a deal, it just doesn't make sense for them.


Last edited by The Amity Affliction: 01-24-2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Edit = *
The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:44 AM
  #43
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Dude, why is he down there in the first place?
Why ask a question if I already gave the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If he's the supposed goalie you're counting on for the future or at least until the future goalie arrives, you don't back yourself into a corner where you now can't recall him.
May I remind you the Kings got a complete new staff ? Why did you think Cloutier came to the Kings ? Not because he was such a great goalie....because Crawford loves him. If Crawford didn't trust on Labarbera for this season than what can you do about it...he's the coach and responsible for the results. Why did the Kings acquire a scrub like Thornton ? Why did McCauley came to the Kings ? Lombardi might have something to do with that ?

Are you really so naive that you think certain coaches and GM's don't have their own favorite players ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Exactly my point. If Labarbera is the one you're counting on than he's not the one you send down to the AHL and paint yourself into a corner with because now you have to make a bunch of moves to cover for it.
No that was NOT your point. To send him down was a mistake but it's not a mistake they won't call him up and THAT was your point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You're talking to fans who watched him for the better part of 7 years, I think we've got a pretty good "idea" of what he is capable of as well and having to go through this whole situation for a guy with that kind of upside is not the best move in the world.
Wow, 5 freaking games and as goalie of the Hartford Wolf Pack in the AHL where he put up more than solid numbers.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Labarbera is the next best thing but I do think (and apparently the Kings staff now too) he deserves a shot.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
  #44
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Why ask a question if I already gave the answer.
Because it the essence of what we're talking about.

Quote:
May I remind you the Kings got a complete new staff ? Why did you think Cloutier came to the Kings ? Not because he was such a great goalie....because Crawford loves him. If Crawford didn't trust on Labarbera for this season than what can you do about it...he's the coach and responsible for the results. Why did the Kings acquire a scrub like Thornton ? Why did McCauley came to the Kings ? Lombardi might have something to do with that ?
Yes exactly and all of those are poor asset management.


Quote:
Are you really so naive that you think certain coaches and GM's don't have their own favorite players ?
The question is not whether or not those players are favorites, but whether those moves were good moves.



Quote:
No that was NOT your point. To send him down was a mistake but it's not a mistake they won't call him up and THAT was your point.
My point was and is that you don't see a guy like that to the minors if you have plans for him because now you can't recall him. If I didn't explain that clearly enough that's my own fault, but my main point is that all of this is very poor asset management.

Quote:
Wow, 5 freaking games and as goalie of the Hartford Wolf Pack in the AHL where he put up more than solid numbers.
7 years gives you a pretty good indication of what you've got, especially if you actually watched him in the minors for 4 or 5 years and didn't just say "Hey he's got some numbers".

He is what he is, a potential NHL backup.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I don't think Labarbera is the next best thing but I do think (and apparently the Kings staff now too) he deserves a shot.
I think he is a capable NHL backup. But I believe if you're looking for him as a bridge, he's not the guy you send to the minors and I also believe that you also don't go that far out of your way for a backup goalie who is only seen as a bridge under the best of circumstances.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:03 PM
  #45
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Kings are rebuilding, and yes they are saddled with Cloutiers contract. It wont hurt to keep Labbs in the AHL for the year and keep him and his small contract for next year where he will be a more then capable back up.

Bernier is 5 years away from being anywhere near reliable if he does turn out, and there is nothing to show he wont be as good as Montoya. We wont know this debate for another 10 years so why argue it.

L.A needs a starter in the 25 - 30 age group and the name that makes the most sense is Biron.

Cloutier needs to be bought out or banished to the minors to get him off the cap. He may never come back with the severity of injuries he has suffered the last 3 years.

The Rangers and Kings make very weak trading partners unless the Rangers know they are true cup contenders and willing to trade youth for missing cogs. Although I think they can shore up the defensive end of things by trading Rachunek and Hall to the Kings for Norstrom.

My 2 cents

funky is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.