HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erixon's future

Old
01-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
We kind of knew that this would be Erixon's situation right when we drafted him.
When did we turn into the Calgary Flames?

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I'd be surprised if he is worse than Savard.
Yeah... I saw Savard blow coverage on at least one goal vs the Rangers last night then he put a puck over the boards for a penalty that resulted in a Ranger goal... Savard is not bad but he's not a saint imo, slow and not even close to a Ryan Murray type potential..

Last edited by Robert: 01-07-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
1) We didn't draft Erixon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
When did we turn into the Calgary Flames?
Sorry, I meant acquired him. We knew that would be the case when we acquired him. Yeesh.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
1) We didn't draft Erixon.
I hate lists that start out by blasting people. I stop reading right at that point.

As for my input on Erixon, I'll revert everyone to the Ryan Johansen situation when he was 19. It's turned out just fine.

I think Todd Richards, Jarmo Kekalainen, and everyone else involved knows exactly what the potential outcomes are. I see no reason to trade him, and I see no reason why we should trade anyone else to force a spot on the roster for him.

He should have to earn his ice time, just like everyone else. And, if he can't, and he's not benefiting from time in the AHL, he should be a healthy scratch and practice with the big boys.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:16 PM
CBJFIG

AHL stats mean exactly nothing.

2012-2013 AHL d-man with 34 GP for 18 G 30 A and 48 points and +8

current NHL totals 2012-today 85 GP for 12 G 31 A and 43 points and -32

Yes It's J Schultz, yes the oilers are terrible, but our franchise has yet to look much better.

No, not all situations are the same but to look at a players minor league numbers and use them to suggest he deserves a spot on the big club is being obtuse.

CBJFIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:27 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I hate lists that start out by blasting people. I stop reading right at that point.
I didn't blast anyone, I fixed a minor mistake. You must have imagined I was starting a litany of abuses!

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:32 PM
major major

I just want to point out the same damn thing I pointed out at the start of the year. Erixon being the odd man out could be because of any one or more of the following:

1) He's not playing well enough.

2) He's pissed off the coach in some other way.

3) He's waiver exempt and Savard is not.

Does anybody have hard evidence of any of these besides the third? Even if someone on the Jackets payroll says it's #1 I am not sure I believe it. It could be true but we don't know.

Old
01-07-2014, 10:50 PM
knucklepuck28

I think Nikitin will walk next year as a UFA and we will bring up Erixon to replace him.

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:17 PM
JKinCLE
killing time @ work

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklepuck28 View Post
I think Nikitin will walk next year as a UFA and we will bring up Erixon to replace him.
Well he'd better go somewhere with as many Russians as we have. If anything I'd imagine he wants to stay given the position he's in. I don't know why everyone is so fast to write him off as the odd man out. Leads the team in plus-minus and is playing very well right now and apparently took it to heart that he was scratched early on. Now he can also add Olympian to his resume.

JKinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:02 AM
major major

How much does Nikitin end up getting paid if he goes on the market?

Old
01-08-2014, 12:09 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJoshuaJTB View Post
Well he'd better go somewhere with as many Russians as we have. If anything I'd imagine he wants to stay given the position he's in. I don't know why everyone is so fast to write him off as the odd man out. Leads the team in plus-minus and is playing very well right now and apparently took it to heart that he was scratched early on. Now he can also add Olympian to his resume.
And that could be the reason why, as Major Major alludes to. He might command more of pay increase in free agency than we're willing to give him.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:32 AM
punk_o_holic

1)Would Nikitin take a pay cut to stay in Columbus to be with his fellow Russians?

2)If Nikitin was willing to take a pay cut but asked for a NTC(could be an limited NTC), would you give it to him? Does it depend on how much of a pay cut he takes? Or, want a NTC? Good bye to you then, get it off some other team.

3)What type of offer would give him (Length and terms)?

*Could he get more in the KHL then in the NHL? You think he would go to the KHL? Would the KHL even go after him hard?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:06 AM
EspenK

I don't see Nikitin taking a pay cut, At 2.1 he is probably underpaid based on his current performance. I'd guess he would command somewhere around 3 or so for 3 years in FA?

I think that long term thinking has to come into play here at some point.

We can't have our current top 8 all be non-waiver exempt. As soon as one is claimable I have to believe they are gone. Savard has proven that he can play in the NHL and will be claimed if subjected to waivers, imo. Erixon too. So having 8 really good D-men doesn't do us much good.

I still think a trade of a D-man at some point has to happen. Other than Murray I think any of them could go but it will most likely come from the young guys including Nikitin.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:08 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJoshuaJTB View Post
Huh? Maybe you forgot the ?

I agree that maybe he is being written off too quickly. maybe it's Savard odd man out?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
cbjfaninmo
More Push-ups

I think Erixon will be part of the CBJ in the near future. It is nice not having to rush him. I do believe we will move a Dman at the deadline.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Michalek for Erixon?
This is why I suggested we don't go down this rabbit hole. On what planet does Michalek meet the requirements other than hitting 30 one time in his career? At no other point did he come close. He's 29 and about to become a UFA. We could make a play at the deadline or during the off season for his rights for cheaper, if you team doesn't intend to re-sign.

I knew his name was going to come up. He only played a handful of games last season and he's struggling this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'd have to believe that a career IHL defenseman-turned-coach like Richards has some type of unique perspective on this, even beyond what a regular head coach would.
Don't really care what his resume is. I'm not going to assume he's not off on some witch hunt. I've seen too many jack-ass GM's and Coaches bury players over the years. That isn't even looking beyond this team.

Did you see anything in his two games that suggested he needed buried when others were struggling? Was our defense performing at such a level that it was impossible for him to get back into the mix. He managed to stay a plus player in both games despite the team being outscored 11-6.

No question mark, I already know the answer.

Burying Ryan Craig at the 13th forward is an easy decision. It should not be that easy with Erixon (7th d-man). It's easier now with Prout (although Prout has kind of sucked most of the season) back and the wonder twins racking up the plus numbers.

I don't blindly follow. There is cause for me to wonder about Richards and some of the oddities he has with managing players.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
1)Would Nikitin take a pay cut to stay in Columbus to be with his fellow Russians?

2)If Nikitin was willing to take a pay cut but asked for a NTC(could be an limited NTC), would you give it to him? Does it depend on how much of a pay cut he takes? Or, want a NTC? Good bye to you then, get it off some other team.

3)What type of offer would give him (Length and terms)?

*Could he get more in the KHL then in the NHL? You think he would go to the KHL? Would the KHL even go after him hard?
1.I think yes. In the recent interview he stated that he still doesn't understand English. He needs to play for a team with a few Russians on it. The only team that could use him and has a lot of Russians is Edmonton. Washington might be interested too, but that's about it.
2. No. That would make too many NTC/NMC on the team defense.
3. Have no idea with the cap going up. Something around what Hejda got in Denver. 4 years/3.5M per seems reasonable.

He wants to play in the NHL. He was making way more money in Omsk the year when he decided to move to St.Louis.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Todd Richards was effusive with his praise of Tim Erixon last season, going as far as to say that Erixon had soundly beaten out John Moore for the NHL roster spot.

While disliking a player like Erixon is a possibility, we cannot ignore other potential factors like pairing chemistry, what side a defenseman should be playing on, what kind of minutes (ES, PK, PP) a defenseman should be seeing, or waiver status.

Old
01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
1.I think yes. In the recent interview he stated that he still doesn't understand English. He needs to play for a team with a few Russians on it. The only team that could use him and has a lot of Russians is Edmonton. Washington might be interested too, but that's about it.
2. No. That would make too many NTC/NMC on the team defense.
3. Have no idea with the cap going up. Something around what Hejda got in Denver. 4 years/3.5M per seems reasonable.

He wants to play in the NHL. He was making way more money in Omsk the year when he decided to move to St.Louis.
I think $3.5M sounds about right, but 4 years for a guy that inconsistent is not okay.

Old
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Isn't this a nice problem to have.

I think he bides his time and earns a spot in the near future.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Todd Richards was effusive with his praise of Tim Erixon last season, going as far as to say that Erixon had soundly beaten out John Moore for the NHL roster spot.

While disliking a player like Erixon is a possibility, we cannot ignore other potential factors like pairing chemistry, what side a defenseman should be playing on, what kind of minutes (ES, PK, PP) a defenseman should be seeing, or waiver status.
Or, there is something going on with Erixon/Mgt relations we have no understanding of... I think Blah makes some interesting points.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Or, there is something going on with Erixon/Mgt relations we have no understanding of... I think Blah makes some interesting points.
What would lead you to that conclusion over, say, Erixon's contract status and waiver exemption which would just as easily explain why Erixon is not in the NHL despite playing relatively well.

Isn't this the point where someone posts the Jump to Conclusions mat? There are other, more obvious explanations which we must go through before claiming Richards is off on some witch hunt (as blahblah says).

If anything, that's the less likely option as Erixon likely wouldn't have a problem UNTIL management repeatedly refused to promote him to the NHL.

Old
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

I don't get the big deal. Ask yourself, if you had to dress 6 defenseman on our team, would Erixon be on there? For me, its no, but some people will choose Timmy over Savard, which is fine I can see the argument.

But if its a close call, don't you think you should let the younger player with likely more upside and with no waivers. Not to mention he's a LHD, and we have plenty of those. It sucks for him that it matters, but it does. I am not a big fan of Savard when comparing with Erixon, but I like how he's played this year on the big club and I think he can keep growing. As others have said, its a good problem to have. But Tim playing in the AHL is good for all parties, he gets to play top pair minutes and develop on a good AHL team and learn to win, and Savard can contribute now and be a valuable RH shot we need.

Just my opinion, but I think all three (Savard, Erixon, Goloubef) have futures here, it just may be a while.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:21 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Erixson needs time to gel.
Look at Savard.
Look at Prout.
Look at Nikitin.
Look at most dmen.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote