HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Simon Gagne remains unsigned

Old
09-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, I didn't say endorse him. I was very clearly, painfully wrong about him. I still love him though. If I had it on my computer still, I would post that picture of him with a puppy to make everyone else fall in love with him all over again. Maybe someone can help me out because that picture appears to have disappeared from my computer and the internet.
It wouldn't work on me, I always thought he was trying to strangle that poor dog. What a villain!

09-13-2013, 05:10 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
People still like Mitch Williams though.

I doubt Hextall threw Gagne under the bus. They were going to sign Cleary to a 3-year deal for many of the same reasons they were going to sign Gagne to whatever they could afford. I think it's more Holmgren, and I think Holmgren and Gagne don't like each other. Gagne admitted the mistake was made in putting all the eggs in the Flyers basket, after all, Lavy started putting Gagne on the 4th line later in the season. He should go play for the Islanders or Canucks, I think.
are you sure about that?

that was never confirmed, just a rumour

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ne-flyers-2013

Quote:

"All summer, the Philadelphia Flyers kept hinting that they wanted to offer me a new contract and I even told Robert Sauvé, my agent, not to negotiate with other teams," said Gagné. "We trusted them. We put all our eggs in one basket and we got caught. We never thought we'd be stuck in this situation at this time of the year..."

Gagné kept hoping to return with the Flyers up until recently. "When I heard [Tuesday] that they had given a contract to Dan Cleary, it was like a slap in the face. I'm disappointed. I knew that hockey was a business, but with all the positive discussions we had with the GM Paul Holmgren, I can't believe I'm not back with them."
Oh man... poor gags... business can be ruthless sometimes.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ne-flyers-2013

Oh man... poor gags... business can be ruthless sometimes.
there is so much wrong in that article.

First the agent is an idiot, gagne is an idiot, and the flyers come across as misleading.

I think this is a way gagne can save face if teams have shown no interest.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:18 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Still....

Glad Raffl has filled that spot which was the argument all along and he was the one I believe that Meltzer said had a likely shot....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I had been looking and it seems like he is still unsigned. I guess his career is done.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:38 AM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I had been looking and it seems like he is still unsigned. I guess his career is done.
I think he'll be gold for playoff teams looking for that extra veteran push once the deadline comes that don't want to trade their way to it, or can't.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:59 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFetish View Post
I think he'll be gold for playoff teams looking for that extra veteran push once the deadline comes that don't want to trade their way to it, or can't.
Yeah maybe, I would think he'd be playing somewhere though to stay in shape in case an opportunity like that comes along. I know it's been said to death but I wouldn't mind him playing wing with Couts and Read considering there's bound to be an injury or some sort come playoff time.

Edit: Obviously a rookie could also step up but his vet presence might help Couts a bit. Also I just don't want Rinaldo or VV anywhere near the 3rd line again.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Not sure if it's in this thread but for what it is worth somebody mentioned how his neurologist said he was basically one big hit away from his career really being ended...maybe that has something to do with him not getting a sniff again of the NHL?

Still do not want..even as an emergency fill in. Doubt he is keeping in shape either....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Not sure if it's in this thread but for what it is worth somebody mentioned how his neurologist said he was basically one big hit away from his career really being ended...maybe that has something to do with him not getting a sniff again of the NHL?

Still do not want..even as an emergency fill in. Doubt he is keeping in shape either....
I remember hearing he was practicing with the Quebec Remparts (QMJHL team & his former junior team) but that was a while ago so I'm not sure if he's still doing it.

He was one of my favorite's but the guys done, he was an absolute shell of his former self & really nothing to write home about last year despite many here not being able to let go. Injuries really did him dirty.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Curufinwe

Montreal should have signed him at $1m to play on their 4th line and speak French fluently instead of paying Briere $4m this season and next to do it.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:37 AM
kelmitchell

i still believe we should sign gagne he could play 4th line since he's still a good two way player.....never gonna hit 40+ goals again but still he can help for the better.....btw i only say this so he can replace Rinaldo lol

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Man, I saw this thread bumped and got my hopes up thinking something was going on with Gagne. DAMN YOU, FRESHPERSPECTIVE!!!!

I was one of the people who advocated the re-signing of Gagne, but not because I can't let go, I just thought he would've made this team better. As it stands now, the top 9 for the Flyers is fine when everyone's healthy, though it would obviously be nice to have a bonafide 1st liner to play with Giroux and Voracek (no, I don't think Gagne's that guy).

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Man, I saw this thread bumped and got my hopes up thinking something was going on with Gagne. DAMN YOU, FRESHPERSPECTIVE!!!!

I was one of the people who advocated the re-signing of Gagne, but not because I can't let go, I just thought he would've made this team better. As it stands now, the top 9 for the Flyers is fine when everyone's healthy, though it would obviously be nice to have a bonafide 1st liner to play with Giroux and Voracek (no, I don't think Gagne's that guy).
no but if we stop the nonsense like playing rinaldo and rosehill we could sign gagne and call up cousins for hall and bring up akensson to play have 4 really solid lines we can roll all capable of producing but our 4th line will buh better offensive and defensively ...... although hall is good but id rather see this

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Anyone know if he is doing anything at all or is he effectively retired? At this point, I wouldn't be interested in him with the way the offense appears to be clicking right now and the fact that he hasn't been playing professionally all year. If the Flyers needed a guy in the offseason to fill a role, that is a different story...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone know if he is doing anything at all or is he effectively retired? At this point, I wouldn't be interested in him with the way the offense appears to be clicking right now and the fact that he hasn't been playing professionally all year. If the Flyers needed a guy in the offseason to fill a role, that is a different story...
I would imagine he's at that point where he won't officially announce it but knows its coming to an end & by that I mean retirement.

If people felt he was an NHL player anymore he would on a roster or you would at least hear something about the guy. The last we heard anything from him or even about him was when he was blaming the Flyers for his unemployment.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
GagneHanson12

He said that he's going to wait until this offseason coming up to make his decision. I think it was half the cap coming down forcing a lot of bottom 6 vets to lose jobs, and that he doesn't really play a bottom 6 game. Sad to see, is still my favourite player.

GagneHanson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Gagne unsigned.

Bertuzzi
Torres

signed.

What is the world coming to.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I still want Gagne back in Orange & Black.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Garbage Goal

For the sake of his health I would rather he not play anywhere considering his injury history and age. It's not like he would have a major impact anywhere he played anyhow.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Curufinwe

I don't get the injury concerns. He played here last season and was fully healthy as far as we were told.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Ryvont

Raffl plays with Giroux, Gagne unsigned it is nonsense.

Ryvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:39 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvont View Post
Raffl plays with Giroux, Gagne unsigned it is nonsense.
Negative.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

The Gagne train has chugged away LONG ago... let's move on....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 02:36 PM
dats81

I still find it hard to believe no team in the entire NHL has offered Gagne a contract... a former All Star, no longer elite but still a solid Veteran two way forward with speed and skill who can move up and down in the lineup. Especially as the season progresses and injuries are seriously decimating some rosters.

It just makes no sense! Either Gags and his agent are asking for unrealistic term or money or he is not willing to accept whatever role he is offered at this stage of his career. **** it, even Hal Gill got a contract and he is just a pylon paid to mentor the kids and play a couple of games in case noone else can be called up in time.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote