HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Adam Tambellini - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2013, 65th overall, New York Rangers)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
  #1
ginopuck
Registered User
 
ginopuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
LW Adam Tambellini - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2013, 65th overall, New York Rangers)

He's lighting it up in the BCHL these days with 48 pts in 39 gms. I'm just wondering what others think his potential is, where he'll go in the draft, etc. Any thoughts?

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
  #2
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
He is a very toolsy type of prospect. Great size, good skating, but he has yet to put it all together just quite yet.

Despite his size, he isn't a physical forward. He has yet to learn how to really lean into his opponents and use his skating and size to drive towards the net. He knows how to use his reach very effectively, and has good puckhandling skills and skating to keep his opponents on their toes, but he is often matched or outmatched by smaller players.

He is a prospect that requires alot of development time because he has all the tools, just needs to realize he has them and make full use of them.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
  #3
ginopuck
Registered User
 
ginopuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 84
vCash: 500

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
  #4
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 132
related to jeff and steve ??

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
  #5
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
related to jeff and steve ??
Yes.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
  #6
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
related to jeff and steve ??
Steve's son. He grew like 10 inches from 15 to 16/17 so it could just be a matter of adjusting to his body right now. Lots of potential there, going to UND next year. Hopefully he can develop there the way a guy like Corban Knight has.

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:20 AM
  #7
ginopuck
Registered User
 
ginopuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
He's an honourable mention in TSN's TOP 2013 MID-SEASON DRAFT PROSPECTS.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9845

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
  #8
sfo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Steve's son. He grew like 10 inches from 15 to 16/17 so it could just be a matter of adjusting to his body right now. Lots of potential there, going to UND next year. Hopefully he can develop there the way a guy like Corban Knight has.
I haven't seen him play in anything except YouTube clips, but his size and frame remind me of Brock Nelson. Tall, lanky kid that needs to grow into his body. Brock got pushed around a bit his freshman year at UND, but by his sophomore year, he was just a beast. Hopefully a similar progression happens with Adam, though he will probably play a larger offensive role at UND in his first year than Brock did.

sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
  #9
Sticks and Pucks
Registered User
 
Sticks and Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
It might actually be better for him to go undrafted this year and really improve his draft stock next year. I can see him being one of those overagers picked in the middle rounds who eventually make it to the NHL.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 AM
  #10
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
It might actually be better for him to go undrafted this year and really improve his draft stock next year. I can see him being one of those overagers picked in the middle rounds who eventually make it to the NHL.
I seriously doubt he goes undrafted. He's the son of an NHL GM on his way to play for North Dakota putting up good numbers in the BCHL....

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:17 AM
  #11
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
It might actually be better for him to go undrafted this year and really improve his draft stock next year. I can see him being one of those overagers picked in the middle rounds who eventually make it to the NHL.
No point. While raw, he'll get picked high because of the potential upside, size and skill.

Although I think he has tons more work to do, any NHL team that is confident on its own developmental system will gladly pick Tambellini, who if he puts it together, will be a home-run pick.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
  #12
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
I've seen him listed at both 6'1" and 6'4". Which one is more accurate?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
  #13
jigsaw99
#fireAV
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
if he is Jeff with that size than he can be something special. Hopefully he is as fast as Jeff.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
  #14
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
It might actually be better for him to go undrafted this year and really improve his draft stock next year. I can see him being one of those overagers picked in the middle rounds who eventually make it to the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I seriously doubt he goes undrafted. He's the son of an NHL GM on his way to play for North Dakota putting up good numbers in the BCHL....
and Oiler head scout Stu MacGregor lives in Kelowna and will no doubt have the BCHL well scouted as usual, so Adam is no doubt on an Oiler draft list somewhere! and he did play 3 games with the Sherwood Park Crusaders of the AJHL a couple of years ago, and being the son of Steve, the Oil would at least be well aware of him.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
  #15
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
I've seen him listed at both 6'1" and 6'4". Which one is more accurate?
He is quite big on the ice, I think to be safe, lets just say 6-3.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
  #16
as15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
I would be very surprised if he goes undrafted this year. I would guess most teams have him listed as a late round project pick, while some might even have him as a mid-round pick. I don't see anything about his game, physical attributes, or situation that doesn't warrant at least a late round pick.

He has very good size, and is putting up good offensive numbers. He also has the opportunity, if need be, to play 4 more years at one of the best developmental teams out there in North Dakota before an NHL team even needs to consider signing him. I think for a project pick like Tambellini that has potential, but needs a few more years to gain weight and experience, playing at a school like UND is about the perfect place for him.


Last edited by as15: 02-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.
as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
  #17
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by as15 View Post
I would be very surprised if he goes undrafted this year. I would guess most teams have him listed as a late round project pick, while some might even have him as a mid-round pick. I don't see anything about his game, physical attributes, or situation that doesn't warrant at least a late round pick.

He has very good size, and is putting up good offensive numbers. He also has the opportunity, if need be, to play 4 more years at one of the best developmental teams out there in North Dakota before an NHL team even needs to consider signing him. I think for a project pick like Tambellini that has potential, but needs a few more years to gain weight and experience, playing at a school like UND is about the perfect place for him.
Personally, he is in the similar situation I had with Kurker. Playing in a lower league, I wasn't to impressed by the rawness of his game, but it was evident he had some powerful tools to work with. However, his raw game was something I wouldn't dare touch with a top 90 pick IMO.

But he was picked in the 2nd round and it was because, although raw, if he puts it together, he'll be an amazing player.

Tambellini is probably in a similar situation. There is some work to be done, but put them together and that upside will be very attractive to NHL teams that have faith in their own developmental program.

I can see Tambellini go into the 2nd round, although personally, I wouldn't select him until later.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
  #18
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
and Oiler head scout Stu MacGregor lives in Kelowna and will no doubt have the BCHL well scouted as usual, so Adam is no doubt on an Oiler draft list somewhere! and he did play 3 games with the Sherwood Park Crusaders of the AJHL a couple of years ago, and being the son of Steve, the Oil would at least be well aware of him.
I would bet the Oilers won't select him. Kevin Lowe and his son Keegan made an agreement that Edmonton would not select him to keep the pressure off him. I would guess Tambellini and son will make a similar one.

__________________
Dan O'Toole: "So if I have this right, only acceptable goal celebration in NHL is to put hands at your sides and then feel shame."
caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  #19
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,844
vCash: 500
@TPS_Guy15m
As reported by @SchlossmanGF, Adam Tambellini has left North Dakota. I can confirm he has landed with the @WHLHitmen and will play tonight.

Interesting move. Looking forward to see how he plays with the Hitmen, they are playing really well right now.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:34 AM
  #20
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Hmmm...Bit of a strange move as there's no guarantee that a team will keep him next year as an OA, which he'll need to do to get any significant development out of the WHL.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:59 AM
  #21
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Hmmm...Bit of a strange move as there's no guarantee that a team will keep him next year as an OA, which he'll need to do to get any significant development out of the WHL.
Sounds as if he wasn't getting much playing time at North Dakota, I think he'll get a good look with the Hitmen, who should make another deep run in the WHL playoffs this year.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 09:22 PM
  #22
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 50
Making a good first impression! 1G - 3A (5minutes left)

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
  #23
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Baer View Post
Making a good first impression! 1G - 3A (5minutes left)
Going to watch the Hitmen/Rockets game on Sunday. Gonna be fun to watch how he plays against the best team in the WHL (Hitmen are 2nd best).

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
  #24
kyle44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
@ChrisDilks: Adam Tambellini has 3 points two periods into his WHL career. Had 4 in 16 games at the NCAA level. It's not so bad dining at the kiddy table.

Could it have been possible that Tambellini just simply wasn't utilized properly at the collegiate level?

kyle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:10 AM
  #25
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
@ChrisDilks: Adam Tambellini has 3 points two periods into his WHL career. Had 4 in 16 games at the NCAA level. It's not so bad dining at the kiddy table.

Could it have been possible that Tambellini just simply wasn't utilized properly at the collegiate level?
That's perhaps part of it, but I'd imagine his size will be more of an advantage in a Junior league as opposed to the NCAA where he's facing a lot of 20+ year old kids who are more developed physically. You could tell his lack of strength was an issue at NoDak.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.