HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 10:54 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
We had our first game this season we didn't lose! And by that I mean we tied, but good enough. I got my first goal ever on a SH breakaway, it was pretty awesome.

Old
01-05-2014, 02:27 AM
CanucksSayEh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Played some outdoor pond pickup hockey last night and it was glorious.
Ughhhhh that sounds awesome, hasn't been cold enough here to freeze much more than a puddle in many years.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Ughhhhh that sounds awesome, hasn't been cold enough here to freeze much more than a puddle in many years.
Here in Montreal, it was around -30 a few days ago, the ice was just as nice outside as indoors.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:43 PM
manictech

Today I played a beer league game. The other teams goalie has never played before so I didn't want to take any shots. Was just hanging back on D all night. Set my team mate up for his first ever hat trick with under a minute left. He was so happy I thought he was gonna cry. It felt good. So far we have two wins in two games we usually get two wins all season.

Old
01-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Last night I had 2 assists and a(mod edit) ton of blocks in a 4-4 tie. I dished it off for the tying goal with 9 seconds left, so I felt pretty good.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 01-07-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: language
Old
01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another game, another loss. Attempted 9 shots, 1 went wide, 2 were blocked/deflected, 6 got on net but all went right into the pads. Lost 5-2 but was even on the night so that's nice. 5g 4a in 9 games, we are 1-8. Sadly, those mediocre numbers lead the team in goals and points, which is why we are that bad.

On the plus side, my speed and agility have improved since I've been on the ice an extra two hours a week coaching the mini mites, which is actually fun.

All summer I spent working to keep my shots lower on the advice of my goalie, and now I really struggle to go high in game situations. I can go bar down in warmups but not on the rush anymore. My goals this year:

- Five hole through a screen
- Low blocker above the pad off the draw
- Deflected point shot five hole
- High blocker through a screen
- Flubbed shot that slid along the ice past the goalie

I'm used to sniping off the rush, especially going high. So I need to get out there and just work, work, work on that. Hopefully the weather cooperates as we've been alternating 30+ degrees and then below zero temps.

For now, I've taped up my Drury stick which should help. My shots seem to now go 2-3 feet off the ice with the P92 curve, so for games where I'm able to get around the defense and get a shot in tight, it will help to have more loft in that situation.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Here in Montreal, it was around -30 a few days ago, the ice was just as nice outside as indoors.
Here in Buffalo it's been crazy cold lately. It's supposed to drop in the low negatives with some ridiculous wind chill.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Sundinology
The Holiest Mackinaw

vCash: 50
skated out for the first time in several years today (I've been playing in net for about 10). Broke my brand new stick within the first hour too!

Old
01-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, we had -20F yesterday with wind chill close to -50F. Not hockey weather.

Old
01-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Ozz

Ah, new hockey season. Lost our best player and one other usual teammate, but remained in the top division. We have a couple new guys who haven't played in a long time, and even our usual players lacked much chemistry so far. Of course we opened against one of the best teams, whom we despite (it's mutual, though I think they hate us more), and lost by 4.

We were awful by our standards, but relatively decent overall. Still, this other team never seems to miss a beat and we had a losing battle all night long. I was able to get 1g1a though it felt like I was making nothing happen.

Over the weekend I played my first game w/a new team in a lower division. They recruited me after I led a team over them for a championship last time, and we moved up a division accordingly. It's funny how guys with speed and skill can lack a basic IQ for simply moving the puck around. The goalie we went against played out of his mind as well, robbing a few of us a bunch of times (so it seemed, anyway). I got 1g1a in this game as well, but I was more annoyed at feeling like we were chasing everyone around and falling out of position too much.

Old
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Said goodbye to my trusty old Reebok 5k pump goalie skates which I've been using since 2008, and went out for the first time in my shiny new 14k's. I didn't have them baked or anything and they felt great and my feet don't hurt afterwards either. Felt like I've had them for years.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

Took my first skating lesson today, ever. I looked like a baby deer trying to walk for the first time. I'm determined to learn how to do this, no matter what.

Old
01-09-2014, 05:55 AM
jazzykat

figured out what everyone is talking about when they mention "puck feel". I've only been using average to above average sticks. When I picked up my buddies bargain basement composite and did stick handling I knew something was wrong...like "where's the puck". I could barely feel it on my blade but still had the click clack of the puck hitting the blade to tell me it was there when I wasn't looking down.

Old
01-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Canadiens1958

Feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
figured out what everyone is talking about when they mention "puck feel". I've only been using average to above average sticks. When I picked up my buddies bargain basement composite and did stick handling I knew something was wrong...like "where's the puck". I could barely feel it on my blade but still had the click clack of the puck hitting the blade to tell me it was there when I wasn't looking down.
In time you will be able to feel where the puck is on the blade, whether it is flat or not, etc.

Old
01-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Last night played my first ODR game this year. So much fun. I forget how much fun pond hockey is. It was great because we had 12 people so 1 sub and you actually get a significant amount of time handling the puck. Varying skill levels and the ice wasn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun.

Also the first time I tried a lock-lace on my skates and it felt great. Had a lot more confidence and bend in my legs. Excited for my game tonight.

Old
01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night, I played roller hockey for the first time is 3 plus years. I have grown up playing both ice and roller. I only have played ice until last night. It is so easy to score in roller hockey. I was scoring goals like a machine in several 10 minute iron man style games. So much cherry picking, off sides, and people being lazy. The rink is a 10 minute drive so compared to ice rink which is 45 minutes it payed off. Fun to play some puck always with the boys. It is not as much fun as ice. I couldn't stop or turn well at all though. I didn't fall which is a good thing. Some guy tried to run me, and went flying. I just sniped a goal after it and laughed. He said nice laser...lol One of the older guys on the bench gave me a "brewski" and said that guy thinks he is in the Nhl. Just laugh at him. Overall having fun playing hockey and getting some exercise.

Last edited by TheGreatOutlaw: 01-09-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Wait until you try a top end stick.

Anything under $100 retail is going to hurt your game. The $100-200 range often has good to great puck feel and keeps getting better every year. The top end sticks are just amazing.

Old
01-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Anything under $100 retail is going to hurt your game. The $100-200 range often has good to great puck feel and keeps getting better every year. The top end sticks are just amazing.
Disagree slightly. I usually buy sticks between 60 and 120 or so. They're okay. But this is coming from someone who has used heavy wooden sticks forever and really for the past 1.5 years started using composite ones.

Old
01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Disagree slightly. I usually buy sticks between 60 and 120 or so. They're okay. But this is coming from someone who has used heavy wooden sticks forever and really for the past 1.5 years started using composite ones.
It's likely that if you used a high-end composite, you'd feel differently. That's how it was for me. I used aluminum sticks until a couple years ago; favoring them above composites that cost around $80-120 (or considering them equally as good). I didn't get what was so great about them. Then I got an APX and APX2. Whoaaaaaaa

Old
01-12-2014, 01:36 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
I bought a new stick. Well, technically new. It is just another of the same stick I already have (CCM Crazy Light U+10 65 Flex CraziOvi curve ). I didn't like my other stick, a CCM Crazy Strong 85 Flex Ovechkin curve, so I traded that in and got another CraziOvi one

Oh yeah and I played a game and we tied 3-3 with a guy on my team getting the hatty.

Last edited by thevil: 01-12-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old
01-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Ozz

Game 1: 1g1a

Game 2: 1g1a in 2 periods, then I got ejected for 3 penalties. Odd night as I rarely ever go to the box, and these were all questionable. First was a guy tripping himself over me, then a double minor where the ref didn't even see me "hit" the guy. The player thought I elbowed him (not possible), the ref figured my stick did, and I think it was the puck OR his own stick (he whacked the puck away from me from behind, so I wouldn't have followed through backwards and hit him). Lame that I got booted for that, but what can you do. At least we ended up winning by 6 anyway.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

Skated for the 1st time since 2008. Shins and ankles are sore, it was roller (Ice is too far away ). It was a stick and puck type situation at an outdoor rink. Skated like crap (first time skating as a non goalie in 10 years) but I was able to actually look comfortable towards the end and get my shot working again!

Old
01-13-2014, 05:08 AM
American in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

I agree on the directional relationship, but not the magnitude. I'm playing with a Reebok 14K Sickick 65 flex bought on clearance for $40 and the puck feel is as good as I've felt trying out teammates' $200 OPS.

I think the flexibility is the main contributor to puck feel. I've got Jarick to thank for that as it was his postings here that convinced me to try an intermediate stick.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Last night I got 1A in a 9-5 loss. Our team did pretty badly, but I had a good game. I wasn't on the ice for any goals against, and I was on the ice for 2 PP goals and one ES goal. I can feel myself getting more and more comfortable controlling and moving the puck, both up the ice on the rush and on the point. Feels good!

Old
01-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lost again last night. I think we're 1-10 or something now.

Was on the ice for a horrific goal. I'm forechecking and the other team starts the breakout. Apparently that was when our entire team decide to make a change. So they flip the puck to the deepest forward who goes in for a breakaway and I'm literally the only one on the ice. The defenders both jumped on right as he was tucking the goal home and right when I crossed the blue line.

Our team is beyond terrible and has no business at this level. I'd say a few guys can hang at this level, most of them should be down one level, and a few guys should be down two levels.

Nothing better than spending something like $7,000 to be the team that gets killed night after night.

Looking forward to the season being over so I can jump leagues and actually enjoy playing hockey again.

Closed Thread