HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

There's Nothing Fine-a then Losing in Carolina: Canes 6, Leafs 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2014, 08:23 AM
calcal798

vCash: 500
For every minute above 18 that Franson plays it turns into a goal for the opposing team, I feel like this is very true.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:24 AM
bobber

Not a Leaf fan but watching the game last night you can see the team is not skating. They have to play at a higher tempo to win in the NHL. Seems like a lack of motivation. Maybe Randy *****es to much and its starting to wear on the team. Just an opinion from what I observe.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:30 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Not a Leaf fan but watching the game last night you can see the team is not skating. They have to play at a higher tempo to win in the NHL. Seems like a lack of motivation. Maybe Randy *****es to much and its starting to wear on the team. Just an opinion from what I observe.
Most definitely.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:30 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
For every minute above 18 that Franson plays it turns into a goal for the opposing team, I feel like this is very true.
Over 24 minutes last night. Averaging over 21 minutes/night. Is Carlyle the only person in the world who still hasn't realized that Franson can't play defense? This is like Kostka and Holzer all over again.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Morguee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Is now an appropriate time to point out that the team that fired Carlyle now has the best record in the league at 33-8-5, with all but two of their wins in regulation or OT?
Instead of saying he is a proven Stanley Cup winner, maybe we should be asking why he has only won 2 playoff rounds since 06/07 as a coach.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:38 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
Great quote from TSN Radio

"If only Phaneuf and Kessel showed as much passion on the ice then they did playing ping pong on 24/7"
Seriously.

Kessel is never going to be anything but a complimentary player on a winner. He seems like a nice kid but so laid back.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrr View Post
You should at least see hope in Kadri and Rielly, only leafs core players who arn't rejects from other teams. Thats how you change the culture.
I admit Kadri surprised me last year but it seems to have gone to his already swollen head. Guy is way too cocky considering what he has accomplished. Maybe he'll surprise me again but I don't like friend of complacency.

Rielly really does seem to have a ton of potential but how many players have we Leaf fans said that about over the years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Great post. Several people were warning of real issues with our team even when we were doing well. The response from the masses? "Keep calm and Corsi's wrong". The only thing that would make this bridge collapse of a season any better would be if certain posters came out and admitted how wrong they were 3 months ago. I'm not holding out any hope.
I don't think Corsi is all it is cracked up to be.. 3 months ago or now.

They played a seasons worth of games before the "regression" started coming true just when the Leafs lost their two best two-way centermen.. it has been all downhill since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Our shooting % was bound to regress sometime. Funny how things look uglier when our forwards aren't shooting at world-beating rates.
This has nothing to do with shooting % regressing and everything to do with playing like garbage in general.

You don't get good chances to score when you don't even show up to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Stig View Post
I was watching TV and saw JML's interview on the NHL network after the game. Even when given the opportunity to say something bad about Carlyle/Leafs, he took the high road and gave a lot of credit to the coaching staff in the Marlies for being there for him.
Class act, that guy. Probably glad to be gone.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:39 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Over 24 minutes last night. Averaging over 21 minutes/night. Is Carlyle the only person in the world who still hasn't realized that Franson can't play defense? This is like Kostka and Holzer all over again.

I know he is the whipping boy du jour but do you really think that one player is the cause of all this?

Old
01-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Dragao6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I agree with this but its because we have little spoiled kids on our team...cant handle criticism!!! Boys playing with Men

Old
01-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Our Leafs began the evening in 8th spot in the conference and ended up in 10th at the end of the night as Carolina, NYR and Washington all moved ahead and NJ closed within 2 points from behind.

This is the official first game of the entire season where after it the Leafs were not in a playoff spot.

Old
01-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Igy

SO now the question is... Reinhart between JVR and Kessel or Ekblad beside Phaneuf?

Old
01-10-2014, 09:01 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Seriously.

Kessel is never going to be anything but a complimentary player on a winner. He seems like a nice kid but so laid back.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf.

I admit Kadri surprised me last year but it seems to have gone to his already swollen head. Guy is way too cocky considering what he has accomplished. Maybe he'll surprise me again but I don't like friend of complacency.

Rielly really does seem to have a ton of potential but how many players have we Leaf fans said that about over the years?

I don't think Corsi is all it is cracked up to be.. 3 months ago or now.

They played a seasons worth of games before the "regression" started coming true just when the Leafs lost their two best two-way centermen.. it has been all downhill since then.

This has nothing to do with shooting % regressing and everything to do with playing like garbage in general.

You don't get good chances to score when you don't even show up to play.

Class act, that guy. Probably glad to be gone.
Or kadri is in a sophmore slump. There is nothing about cockiness

Old
01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
October and some parts of November give Kessel and JVR all star seasons? Where have they been the last 6 weeks? They aren't making any all-star team.
Why do the last 6 weeks matter any differently than the first 6 weeks?

Old
01-10-2014, 09:38 AM
monochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Or kadri is in a sophmore slump. There is nothing about cockiness
Id be hard pressed to call it a sophomore slump when he's been a contributing member of our team since the 2010-2011 season. Sure he spent some time in the Marlies back and forth but its not like its his second year playing games in the NHL.

If you watched 24/7 you'd know he is incredibly hot headed and self absorbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I know he is the whipping boy du jour but do you really think that one player is the cause of all this?
Of course it is not one player. But when players are making such constant mistakes and skating like they're playing in mud every game it starts to wear on the team. Other players have to clean up his mess at that point. Thats not what we want on our 2nd defensive pairing. There were plenty of times he let the puck get to the goalie when he shouldn't have, didn't take a penalty when he should have, unable to clear the puck out of the zone when the other team's offensive pressure was getting to be too much, not even attempting battles in the corner for the puck, the list goes on and on.

Last edited by monochrome: 01-10-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old
01-10-2014, 09:46 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrome View Post
Id be hard pressed to call it a sophomore slump when he's been a contributing member of our team since the 2010-2011 season. Sure he spent some time in the Marlies back and forth but its not like its his second year playing games in the NHL.

If you watched 24/7 you'd know he is incredibly hot headed and self absorbed.
Agreed - I loved the bit where Cronin asked him whether he was a friend or enemy of complacency - everyone was laughing when he said friend, but RC cursed him out.

Old
01-10-2014, 12:53 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
Agreed - I loved the bit where Cronin asked him whether he was a friend or enemy of complacency - everyone was laughing when he said friend, but RC cursed him out.
They were laughing at his ignorance, he didn't even know what complacency meant, but he did get it right he is a Friend of complacency. Like he said after Crosby bounced his head off the glass, were both competitors so I wasn't upset at him, Kadri even comparing any thing about himself in the same sentence as Sid Crosby. This Kid is definitely delusional.

Closed Thread