HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Prospect Poll #10

View Poll Results: #10
Jarkko Immonen (F) 14 18.18%
Dan Girardi (D) 2 2.60%
Tom Pyatt (F) 16 20.78%
Darin Olver (F) 0 0%
Marc-Andre' Cliche (F) 8 10.39%
Ryan Hillier (F) 0 0%
Ivan Branaka (D) 34 44.16%
Dane Byers (F) 2 2.60%
Brodie Dupont (F) 1 1.30%
Greg Moore (F) 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-24-2007, 09:46 AM
SPG

vCash: 500
Baranka... was going to go with Pyatt, but I changed my mind. Add Kveton.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Ola

I went with Pyatt, would be a little careful when it comes to Baranka. Don't have time now to find a link, but I remember the first time I saw him in HFD (last season). He were really impressive. He is pretty smooth, can defenitly lay people out. Got decent offensive skills.

Though he defenitly got consistency issues. In terms of talent he should be a leader for the Pack. But I don't think he really have improved at all in any aspects of his game since joining HFD. Some nights he plays a really quite game, never really playing bad, but its like he got no aspiration. Sometimes from a kid you want him to try to do to much, so that he will develop.

While Baranka is talented, he is not "that" talented. He still must develop allot. If I saw more fire in him Id have him much higher on my list.

He plays a great game every 10th game. Thats never a good sign. Many players are not that high on the AHL, he could wake up if he gets a shot in the NHL. But for his development, Id like to see him be more involved and taking a bigger responsibility.

Last edited by Ola: 01-24-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I went with Pyatt, would be a little careful when it comes to Baranka. Don't have time now to find a link, but I remember the first time I saw him in HFD (last season). He were really impressive. He is pretty smooth, can defenitly lay people out. Got decent offensive skills.

Though he defenitly got consistency issues. In terms of talent he should be a leader for the Pack. But I don't think he really have improved at all in any aspects of his game since joining HFD. Some nights he plays a really quite game, never really playing bad, but its like he got no aspiration. Sometimes from a kid you want him to try to do to much, so that he will develop.

While Baranka is talented, he is not "that" talented. He still must develop allot. If I saw more fire in him Id have him much higher on my list.

He plays a great game every 10th game. Thats never a good sign.
COMPLETELY disagree.

He does take a few shifts off every now and then, but you're talking about someone who doesn't even resemble Baranka, IMO...

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
COMPLETELY disagree.

He does take a few shifts off every now and then, but you're talking about someone who doesn't even resemble Baranka, IMO...
I am not talking about Branka like he is playing for HFD like Poti did for us.

Baranka should be a allstar in the AHL at the least. At the most there are 3-5 D's in the AHL who will make it to the NHL as top 4 D's. Thoose 3 D's are spread out on 27 teams.

Beeing solid for HFD isn't good enough. Beeing the best in HFD is not even be good enough. He have to become one of the top D's in that league to be good enough, probably top 3 of 162 defenders.

He got potential to be that. But it doesn't seem like he are pushing for it. Baranka to HFD is what Tyutin is to NY, Baranka for HFD must become what Scott Niedermayer is to Anaheim, thats cold facts.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:46 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Immonen going from #3 in our last poll to now out of the top 10. I wonder if his drop will continue as Tommy Pyatt got more votes than him this round as well. Now is it his own fault that he is dropping like this in the rankings or the Rangers organizations fault for not using him enough or giving him a good enough chance. I think he will be a solid 2nd line center in the NHL, just probably not with the Rangers as they seen to have given up completely on the kid, which is a shame.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Immonen going from #3 in our last poll to now out of the top 10. I wonder if his drop will continue as Tommy Pyatt got more votes than him this round as well. Now is it his own fault that he is dropping like this in the rankings or the Rangers organizations fault for not using him enough or giving him a good enough chance. I think he will be a solid 2nd line center in the NHL, just probably not with the Rangers as they seen to have given up completely on the kid, which is a shame.
Though thats how it is with a overaged European like Immonen, he is gooing on his 2nd year now, while there still is room for improvement, the fact that his intensity is so low in combination with his small size and poor speed its hard to see him having any kind of success as a 2nd line C. With a kid like Jessiman we have followed him for something like 4 years now, he hav probably dropped a few spots per season instead.

This is what I wrote about Immonen before he stepped on the ice in North America:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3340041&postcount=56

Quote:
Jarkko is a well rounded allaround player. He doesn't really have any flaws. He will never be a selke candidate though, but he is not a young kid who have to be "tought" have to play defense. He is also quit strong at 6'0 205-210 lbs.

The big questionmark IMO is his offensive upside. He have great playmaking skills and vision and he have really heavy shoot. Jarkko isn't slow or a bad skater, but he "thinks" on the ice. In the SM-liiga he is on top of the game, he anticipates plays and always knows what to do 2-3 steps ahead. In International Games that haven't been the case, he have had some problems with the pace of the game there. The tempo is faster in the NHL but at the same time the pace isn't really as high, its defenitly much much easier for a smart player to get by in the NHL then in international hockey.

So the question is how he is gooing to be affected by the move to the NHL. Personally I belive that he even might benefit from the smaller ice ect. If I were to compare him with a player it would be Pavol Demitra. Jarkko is a bit more stocky built and Pavol might have a better release.
I had high hopes for him, like many do know. We are seeing the same player, so I can defenitly not blame you!

But the questionmarks I raised then, like how he would adjust to the tempo in the NHL, all have been answeared now. In a negative way. I thought/hoped that he would get involved enough in the NHL because of his smarts, but he haven't. I don't see that changing in the future. And if it doesn't, I don't for example think Immonen is a better option on a 2nd line then a Marcel Hossa.

Had the farm been bare like it have been in the past, Immonen would still be high up there. But now I defenitly hold guys like Pyatt, Callahan and Sauer ahead of Immonen, I think they just have higher potential.