HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can We Stop It With Renney?? Fire Sather!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
  #1
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Can We Stop It With Renney?? Fire Sather!!!

Ok I really dont know where the idea that this team sucks because of Renney. How is it his fault that Jagr isn't dominating like last year? How is it his fault that there isn't another offensive center in the franchise? How is it his fault that Hank and Prucha have going through major sophmore slumps (I hope thats what it is).

Yeah some of his roster decisions have been a little wacky, but lets not forget we have a gm who loves control and thinks he still has a clue about coaching. He maynot have the CB anymore but i'm sure he puts his smug little nose into things. He is also the one responsible for giving Renney the pieces he has to work with and as many posters on this board have pointed out there are many misssing pieces on this team.

Bottom line is Renney isn't being fired. How many coachs are we going to fire before we get rid of the gm? If this team is really looking to start playing younger players Renney is the perfect coach to have. He is a very smart guy and a teacher of the game.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 08:48 PM
  #2
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,547
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Fire both.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 08:50 PM
  #3
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
I don't know if you've been paying attention, but we've been batting this back and forth all week. It seems like Renney can't get the Jagr crew to listen to him, particularly about the powerplay. That is solely Renney's problem. Not Sather. If he doesn't fix it, it will be the reason he gets fired.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 08:50 PM
  #4
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Fire both.
I concur.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:06 PM
  #5
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I don't know if you've been paying attention, but we've been batting this back and forth all week. It seems like Renney can't get the Jagr crew to listen to him, particularly about the powerplay. That is solely Renney's problem. Not Sather. If he doesn't fix it, it will be the reason he gets fired.
Sorry I haven't been around in a week so i'm not exactly up to speed on the talk on the board. And who on this team would you consider a powerplay qb? No one, he is forced usually to put a foward back there. Again blaming Renney for a lack of pieces.

You know Renney pointed this out to Sather last year with us trading for Ozo. Problem was Renney probably didn't specify he didn't want a drunk, overpaid, shell of a self player that Sather wound up trading for. I just realized I missed a great thread while I was gone, "Is Sather the worst gm in sports?" He sure has my vote.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
  #6
crisb
Registered User
 
crisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Tom Renney's moves have been very VERY questionable. True, he hasn't done the worst job, but come on, Prucha at 4th line? There were many more that I could dig up. Sather did build this team, thinking that Cullen was capable of 2nd line. We all know he is a 3rd line center. Sather made a mistake when building the team. I'm a little suprised we havne't done anything about it really. Only a few call ups. But they didn't even leave any of the rookies in to try. I don't think Sather or Renney knows that chemistry doesn't take 3 games. As of right now, both should be fired. That obviously won't happen.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
  #7
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
See avatar.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:11 PM
  #8
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFan35 View Post
Tom Renney's moves have been very VERY questionable. True, he hasn't done the worst job, but come on, Prucha at 4th line? There were many more that I could dig up. Sather did build this team, thinking that Cullen was capable of 2nd line. We all know he is a 3rd line center. Sather made a mistake when building the team. I'm a little suprised we havne't done anything about it really. Only a few call ups. But they didn't even leave any of the rookies in to try. I don't think Sather or Renney knows that chemistry doesn't take 3 games. As of right now, both should be fired. That obviously won't happen.
And made a mistake for not signing Umberger.

Made a mistake for drafting Jesssiman, by far the worst players of the 30 taken in the first round of that draft.

Made 3 mistakes at hiring head coaches.

Made the mistake of trading for Lindros instead of JJ.

How many more mistakes can one person make before getting the axe?

This is just off the top of my head, i'm sure if I thought about it I could make a whole laundry list. And your point about Prucha, if you were coach what would you do with a 2nd year winger who has obviously lost his offensive confidence and gets crushed by someone almost every game? Right now Prucha is where he belongs because of his play, but that doesn't mean he isn't in the teams long term plans. This is coming from a huge Prucha fan.


Last edited by Radek27: 01-23-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:31 PM
  #9
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
See avatar.
haha, and how long as that been your avatar?

Sather's firing is long overdue

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:35 PM
  #10
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
i say keep both for 1 more year...see what the kids turn into

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
  #11
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Sather isnt making the lineup moves, Renney is..and they have been just brutal.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
  #12
Cartman27
 
Cartman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Lets hire Isiah Thomas!!

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:21 AM
  #13
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,781
vCash: 500
James Dolan is not firing Glen Sather

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:43 AM
  #14
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
I recently read an article in the Sporting News while waiting for a haircut that outlined the current worst teams in professional sports. The Knicks we rated the worst team, and SN said that Dolan is a " clueless owner " and went on to talk about how his franchises will always be bad until he sells them.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:02 AM
  #15
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,300
vCash: 500
We tried the Fire Sather threads.....

a couple years ago - they didn't work, so we've moved onto smaller things.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:43 AM
  #16
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Renney and Sather should both be fired, for different reasons. Renney's coaching has been terrible this season. So many of the problems can be pointed directly at the coach, and some indirectly. Not coming out prepared to play way too often, no spark at the worst possible times, undisciplined play not held accountable for, the treatment of Lundqvist in Toronto, playing average veterans instead of kids with some potential who need to learn, the total mishandling of Petr Prucha, I could go on and on. A different coach could remedy a lot of these issues.

But the main problem is the Edmonton Genius, the guy has proven he's absolutely clueless. Not only that, I think he actually has disdain for the fans, and thinks we're all idiots. There have been many lists of his failings in other threads, which I've contributed to, so I won't list them again here. But the guy has no clue how to put a team together, and hasn't been able to do it for the last 20 years.

The main argument for Renney not being fired is that Sather has proven he is completely incapable of picking the right coach. Replacing Renney with yet another disaster of a head coach won't help at all.

The worst part is that you can write down in ink that five years from now Renney will be gone, but Sather will still be here running us further into the ground. By that time, or probably a lot less, we'll pass the Knicks and Detroit Lions and be at the bottom of the Sporting News list of worst run franchises in all of sports. And the Edmonton Genius will still be puffing his cigar and laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Now that I think about it, why should Renney hold his players accountable when the franchise doesn't hold the coach or GM accountable?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
  #17
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
As long as Sather is here and Dolan is there to watch over him, this team is going to go nowhere.

I already know next years team is going to suck and the year after that.

Sather is washed up. He hasnt done a damn thing since he was hired. He had his glory in Edmonton and the teams he assembled fielded 5 cups, but he has lost all his intelligence in New York. Poor draft picks, crappy trades, the list goes on and on.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:06 PM
  #18
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
As long as Sather is here and Dolan is there to watch over him, this team is going to go nowhere.

I already know next years team is going to suck and the year after that.

Sather is washed up. He hasnt done a damn thing since he was hired. He had his glory in Edmonton and the teams he assembled fielded 5 cups, but he has lost all his intelligence in New York. Poor draft picks, crappy trades, the list goes on and on.
Actually he lost all his intelligence long before he got to New York. His Edmonton record the last 10 years he was there was not good, and his draft picks for the Oilers during that time period were abysmal.

See the thing in Edmonton was that he was working with limited funds, and had to trade off all of his good players because he couldn't afford them. He himself said there was no way he could compete with big market teams, and that anyone could run a team with an unlimited financial budget.

According to the Genius all he needed was a chance to work with a big budget to show everyone how easy it was.


dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:42 PM
  #19
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Radek27;7770680]. And who on this team would you consider a powerplay qb? No one, he is forced usually to put a foward back there. Again blaming Renney for a lack of pieces.

QUOTE]

The problem in question with Renney now has nothing to do with a PP qb or a lack of pieces. It has to do with who is the defining authority on this team. It should be the coach. Several things have come to light in the last weeks that make this seem as though it isn't so. A newsday? article quoting Shanahan, saying that the PP is not working and things were "disjointed". It seems as though Renney would like the PP to have more point shots and traffic, (which I agree 100% with) but that Jagr won't listen and demands to run the PP from the right sideboards. That is a major problem, when the players won't listen to the coach. They don't have to agree, but out of respect for the coach, they should at least try it his way. Apparenlty they don't have a heckuva lot of respect for the coach, so I truly think you are witnessing the end of the Renney era unfolding here.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
  #20
JRGNYR
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Sather's job is safe as can be. Renney should be feeling the heat right now because he's made awful decisions with personnel and his two big veteran leaders are at odds over the powerplay. He needs to reassert control.

Simple question: who should be hired if Renney is canned? And please don't say Jim Schoenfeld, because that would be the wrong answer, and don't say Keenan because if you do, 1994 called, and they want you back.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:51 PM
  #21
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
Renney is responsible for the product he puts out on the ice, (along with the the un-motivated players), and Sather is responsible for getting Renney the players, that he uses to make up those brilliant lines with. Both need to go.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:23 PM
  #22
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
Sather's job is safe as can be. Renney should be feeling the heat right now because he's made awful decisions with personnel and his two big veteran leaders are at odds over the powerplay. He needs to reassert control.

Simple question: who should be hired if Renney is canned? And please don't say Jim Schoenfeld, because that would be the wrong answer, and don't say Keenan because if you do, 1994 called, and they want you back.
Why is Sather's job as safe as can be? If it's because Dolan is an idiot, I totally agree. But if it's because of how well he's done as a GM, well, he hasn't done well as GM.

Who should be hired if Renney is canned? I'm sure there are candidates out there. If Andy Murray were still available, would be be saying the Rangers should hire him? Probably not, because we didn't know he'd do this well with the Blues.

I'm sure there are other good candidates, we just have to trust our GM to find and hire the right one.

Oh wait...I forgot...our GM is an idiot too.


dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
  #23
JRGNYR
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Why is Sather's job as safe as can be? If it's because Dolan is an idiot, I totally agree.
My point exactly.

I think McGill should've gotten a shot. He did pretty well in Hartford, although that 1st round playoff exit after a 50 win season probably did him no favors. But he had 3 winning seasons and a conference final appearance in 3 years with kids in Hartford.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:48 PM
  #24
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
My point exactly.

I think McGill should've gotten a shot. He did pretty well in Hartford, although that 1st round playoff exit after a 50 win season probably did him no favors. But he had 3 winning seasons and a conference final appearance in 3 years with kids in Hartford.
The Edmonton Genius has to find a good coach. Neither you or I could possibly know who the good candidates are, they're just not as publicized as they are in football and basketball.

I don't care who he hires, as long as it's a coach who gets the team headed in the right direction for a change. We haven't had a coach like that in a LONG time. Let's see him come up with a candidate, since Maloney says the Genius works so hard behind the scenes.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
  #25
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
The Edmonton Genius has to find a good coach. Neither you or I could possibly know who the good candidates are, they're just not as publicized as they are in football and basketball.

I don't care who he hires, as long as it's a coach who gets the team headed in the right direction for a change. We haven't had a coach like that in a LONG time. Let's see him come up with a candidate, since Maloney says the Genius works so hard behind the scenes.
So the 4th one (or 5th if you count Sather naming himself as coach) is going to be a gem? After Low, Trottier and Renney you really expect a better result?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.