HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Bailey

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
fnfelon

vCash: 500
Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:12 PM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

I am getting a Bridgeport Jersey customized

Failey

That number is his career plus/minus. Incidentally I found it odd that the seasons he put up the most points were the two seasons he had the most hits. That's why I plop the guy on the 4th line...hope he starts to hit some, and pick up the rare point. It's fourth line or press box for this fool as far as i'm concerned No more of this "maybe Okposo and Nielsen" or "Tavares and Vanek" or "an adrenaline shot to the nuts" could jump start this little girl.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.
You know, I don't like what Capuano does either and some of the things he does leave me scratching my head...but you wanna talk about headscratchers....Capuano's all time record with the Islanders. He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.

So I still teeter totter with Cappy and just don't quite know what to expect from him. In the end, it has NOTHING to do with Failey. Too many excuses. 6 NHL seasons the onus falls on the player. Stop with the "skategoats".

Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
I was having this conversation like 2 weeks ago that if Torts coached the Isles, these guys - especially Bailey - would be walking a fine line. No dogging it. Bailey would've been down in Bridgeport by now, or collecting cobwebs in the press box.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
fnfelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.
Funny today I was just thinking the opposite: that the core kids on the Isles, have won impressively to date despite Capuano’s coaching. Interesting argument…

Old
01-09-2014, 12:03 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
You know, I don't like what Capuano does either and some of the things he does leave me scratching my head...but you wanna talk about headscratchers....Capuano's all time record with the Islanders. He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.

So I still teeter totter with Cappy and just don't quite know what to expect from him. In the end, it has NOTHING to do with Failey. Too many excuses. 6 NHL seasons the onus falls on the player. Stop with the "skategoats".
Meh...it is lot easier to get a win these days. Al Arbour's record was 782-577-248. Imagine if all of those ties were actually decided with 4 on 4 overtimes and shootouts!

Old
01-09-2014, 05:21 AM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Meh...it is lot easier to get a win these days. Al Arbour's record was 782-577-248. Imagine if all of those ties were actually decided with 4 on 4 overtimes and shootouts!
Still don't see how Failey's lack of production has anything to do with Capuano. He's tried the kid in every dang situation imaginable and he still sucks. It's not like he's buried him on the fourth line since game 1. The kid has played everywhere and nothing has clicked. Even where he has had success, putting him back there has done nothing. He's just got a weak psyche....not cut out to be a professional athlete at all. You never hear anything about Failey working out with JT. Articles never mention his worth ethic, the time he puts in during off season. You hear it for many athletes but never Failey. I think that speaks volumes on what kind of player we are looking at. Lazy and skilled. He might as well be a Russian.....

Old
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Still don't see how Failey's lack of production has anything to do with Capuano. He's tried the kid in every dang situation imaginable and he still sucks. It's not like he's buried him on the fourth line since game 1. The kid has played everywhere and nothing has clicked. Even where he has had success, putting him back there has done nothing. He's just got a weak psyche....not cut out to be a professional athlete at all. You never hear anything about Failey working out with JT. Articles never mention his worth ethic, the time he puts in during off season. You hear it for many athletes but never Failey. I think that speaks volumes on what kind of player we are looking at. Lazy and skilled. He might as well be a Russian.....
Quite venomous...

Bailey needs to find "it" whatever "it" is. He has not been good. I'm hoping he gets some pk time. Maybe he can excel there. At his point, becoming the next Manny Malholtra would be an amazing accomplishment for him. Malholtra had the drive to grind out a NHL career, though. Does Bailey?

Old
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think it was "I ordered Spaghetti with Marinara and got egg noodles and ketchup" - and yes old man, that movie is as old as John Tavares and just as good.

If Bailey can, somehow, learn to play with energy like Clutterbuck or Cizikas, he'd be outstanding. But watching him live is the same as on TV, just looks worse - he turns away from checks rather than finishing them. He doesn't go hard after loose pucks, doesn't skate his hardest. Okposo used to be a lazy player and we've all seen how he's transformed his game now that he's giving it his all each shift.

Used to say the same about Comeau. Looks like wasted talent.

But Bailey's never been a bad player, even when he isn't scoring. He's got smarts and ability and he can play without the puck. I don't mind him even as a bottom six player but he's frustrating because he does have talent.

I'd like to see Bailey - Strome - Nelson for a few games. I like Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck together as well, great speed and smart defensively.

Isles are a really good team when they play with energy. Too bad they're equally horrid when they don't.
spot on.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
That still pains me every time I think about it. Richard Park helped beat the Rangers in a shootout the last game of the season (I have his stick from that game) and cost us Pietrangelo. Terrible.
Wow! I'm still upset at uwe Krupp for costing us Jagr . Then we trade with buffalo and acquire him.
( then again we probably would have picked who we picked anyway S.S)
Beat the lanche!! Let's go isles

Old
01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
redbull
2k17

this board's hate for Bailey is absolutely ridiculous. He needs to work harder, he's having a bad year, he's invisible at times - well, isn't that most of the roster outside JT and Okposo? That's also true of most teams around the league, they all have underachieving players. Kadri's being run outta town in Toronto after a solid (statistical) season last year as well.

First: what is realistic to expect of a 9th overall?

2009:
8th - Scott Glennie
9th - Jared Cowan
10th Magnus Pajaarvi-bust

2008:
8th - Boedker
9th - Bailey
10th - Hodgson

2007:
8 - Zach Hamill
9 - Logan Couture
10 - Keaton Ellerby

2006:
8 - Peter Mueller
9 - James Sheppard
10 - Michael Frolik

8 - Devin Setoguchi
9 - Brian Lee
10 - Luc Bourdon (passed away)

8 - Alex Picard
9 - Ladislav Smid
10 - Boris Valabik

Besides Logan Couture, is there ANYONE who would be a significant upgrade over Bailey? Anyone who's make the Islanders a better team today?

Even looking at solely the 2008 draft, Bailey is 3rd (after Stamkos and Eberle) among all the forwards taken in the first round in games, goals, assists and points.

Bailey's not DISAPPOINTNG AT ALL compared to those drafted in his draft year, NOR compared to 9th overall players PERIOD. He's probably among the BETTER ONES.

The fact that Garth started this TIMELESS "REBUILD" in 2008 and mistakenly had him on the team at 18 has given this NYI fan base VERY UNREALISTIC expectations for a 9th overall player and first rounders in general.

"Oh, but the Chicago, Pittsburgh, model" - well, they at least tanked properly, landing Crosby, Malkin, Staal (should have taken Toews) and Chicago got Toews, Kane and BOTH teams added key vet players along the way. Remember when Hossa's contract was an albatross? How can they ever keep him at that cap hit?

It's ironic because Snow gets so much credit for "drafting well" and 2008 is probably his only successful year (excluding JT at 1st overall) and yet it's Bailey' who's the whipping boy?

Look at St. Louis' drafting, they haven't been "blessed" with as many top fives and they have a solid team of very good players. LA added players like Richards and Carter to augment their drafted players.

It's Snow's failures as a GM that have made Bailey "appear to" have failed as a player. He's not failed. He's been "above expectations" based on comparisons of players from his draft year and draft position.

Back to Bailey himself, he ABSOLUTELY needs to work harder, player harder, be more physical and show more. Not because he's an exceptional player who's struggling, but becaue he has talent but doesn't have the consistent work effort to go with it. That's MOSTLY on Bailey and a good portion on Capuano who's never used Bailey properly (C, LW, RW and back and forth, never with good offensive players, never on the PP). The best player's he's played with, and in the most consistent position, is LW with Neislen-Okposo and all three were ourstanding together.

End of rant. Go Isles Go.

Last edited by redbull: 01-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old
01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Poliz24

If we moved him, I am not even sure the return would be that enticing. Now that being said you could go by the addition by subtraction theory. But think it of it this way, we get a draft pick for him that takes to develop for lets just say the length strome took to get to LI(and it could be longer). But guess what guys, we end up complaining about the guys Garth brings in to be a stop gap(recent/current examples regin, PMB, REASONER, Pandolfo) for that youngster to develop. How much better do we actually get? Stick with him, at best he is a third liner ok fine. i would rather take that then another Regin, PMB washed up type player.

Old
03-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Bumping.

Time for Joshua The Friendly Ghost to start getting the AMAC treatment.

Old
03-08-2014, 12:55 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Bumping.

He is just horrible. The effort is just not there. Heartless.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:28 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Bumping.

One of the isles hockey buzz writers, Dan, reported that he had team sources and that Snow had shopped Bailey+ CMac at the recent TDL.

I don't know how credible Dan is. I guess it makes sense with Lee/Strome/Halmo adding more energy and effort to the lineup.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:32 AM
MaryChristine*

Quote:
Bumping.

Old
03-08-2014, 02:12 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

He played well last night, but I only caught the end of tonight's game...he looked good when they were trying to come back. You guys are absurd with what you complain about. He even had a point tonight!

Old
03-08-2014, 02:16 AM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
He played well last night, but I only caught the end of tonight's game...he looked good when they were trying to come back. You guys are absurd with what you complain about. He even had a point tonight!
Buahaha! Put iLandher in the club "Fooled by Bailey only trying at the end of the season". Wow, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Looks like you are on fool #4!!! Wake up!!!

Old
03-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Poliz24

Guys what are talking about? He has been our best non-existent player this year!

Old
03-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Chairman Wang

Lets be clear, (excuse me as I put this in caps to emphasize my point) I AM NOT A BAILEY FAN... AND I DO HOPE HE CAN BE MOVED OFF THE TEAM. However, I don't understand why people say that Bailey doesn't try…

I see him trying to win pucks along the boards. (unfortunately he often get's overpowered by stronger players).

I see him getting back on the back check (unfortunately the entire team defense is dysfunctional rendering the coverage poor).

I just don't think his problem is a lack of effort. Bailey "over-thinks" the game, then tries to get too cute in the offensive zone. When he does this he stops moving his feet looking for the perfect pass… Since he is not overly strong or fast he becomes easy to neutralize.

When Bailey (any player really) is playing with more confidence his game becomes more instinctual… doing more rather than thinking about what to do.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Hipietro

I predict Bailey finally breaks out at age 35 playing for Stockton of the ECHL.

Sigh, is it too late to send him back to Juniors?

Old
03-08-2014, 10:46 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Suppose we're picking ahead of EDM at the 2014 draft and Ekblad is sitting there. When EDM calls to ask about swapping picks, how about if Snow says no because he wants Ekblad but offers something along the lines of Pulock and Bailey for Gagner and another asset (maybe EDM's 2015 2nd rounder)? Realistic? Good idea or bad idea?

Old
03-08-2014, 10:57 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Lets be clear, (excuse me as I put this in caps to emphasize my point) I AM NOT A BAILEY FAN... AND I DO HOPE HE CAN BE MOVED OFF THE TEAM. However, I don't understand why people say that Bailey doesn't try…

I see him trying to win pucks along the boards. (unfortunately he often get's overpowered by stronger players).

I see him getting back on the back check (unfortunately the entire team defense is dysfunctional rendering the coverage poor).

I just don't think his problem is a lack of effort. Bailey "over-thinks" the game, then tries to get too cute in the offensive zone. When he does this he stops moving his feet looking for the perfect pass… Since he is not overly strong or fast he becomes easy to neutralize.

When Bailey (any player really) is playing with more confidence his game becomes more instinctual… doing more rather than thinking about what to do.
This is as good of analysis of what it wrong about Bailey than any other. All that and lack of confidence many times.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
I predict Bailey finally breaks out at age 35 playing for Stockton of the ECHL.

Sigh, is it too late to send him back to Juniors?
Damn shame really. Bailey is the perfect example of a player that should have been given the same development time as Strome.

If he was left in Junior during his rookie NHL year he would have been on a memorial cup winning team, gold medal winning Junior Canada team. When sent down to the AHL he was given only 11 games before prematurely being called back up... during that time he was putting up an assist per game and 1.5 ppg.

Last year when he had his most successful stint on the Islanders (playing with Nielsen and Okposo) there was a sequence where I saw the trio completely owning another team in the offensive zone for the entire shift... Cycling the puck back and forth having all of these excellent looks at the goalie… and no shot was taken… until some attempt that the goalie covered up after a goal line scramble. I kept thinking if James Neal was in this situation he would have found at least three golden shooting attempts… but most likely scored on the first attempt anyway.

What's my point… development matters… and the Isles handling of Bailey has been shameful. Being put in situations of success is how players learn the nuances of the game. How to protect a lead, run a power play, when to shoot, when to make an extra move, when to just dump the puck in etc etc.

I have no doubt that if the Isles had not rushed Bailey and provided equivalent support that he would have been on par player wise as his former junior teammate Adam Henrique. To me that is is the perfect example of the development Bailey should have had.

But, the damage is done… So either play him with Tavares and Okposo to pump up his stats (make him tradable or somewhat useful) or dump him now and commit to finding a solution elsewhere… overpay in free agency.

Disclaimer: this post is not directed at any poster individually, just lamenting on what I see as a major mistake by the Islander organization.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:25 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Suppose we're picking ahead of EDM at the 2014 draft and Ekblad is sitting there. When EDM calls to ask about swapping picks, how about if Snow says no because he wants Ekblad but offers something along the lines of Pulock and Bailey for Gagner and another asset (maybe EDM's 2015 2nd rounder)? Realistic? Good idea or bad idea?
What is the fascination with Gagner and his 45 pt seasons? Weak defensively and physically.

He was almost dealt several weeks ago for Clifford+ a bottom six sweetener. LA asked for the Oilers to retain salary and the deal fell apart.

So, LA could have had him for a pair if bottom six players, yet the isles shoukd trade a recent 1st rounder, a top prospect for him?

Closed Thread