HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Bailey

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
  #201
fnfelon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Long Island
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.

fnfelon is offline  
Old
01-08-2014, 10:12 PM
  #202
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iksan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 5,799
vCash: 500
I am getting a Bridgeport Jersey customized

Failey
-31

That number is his career plus/minus. Incidentally I found it odd that the seasons he put up the most points were the two seasons he had the most hits. That's why I plop the guy on the 4th line...hope he starts to hit some, and pick up the rare point. It's fourth line or press box for this fool as far as i'm concerned No more of this "maybe Okposo and Nielsen" or "Tavares and Vanek" or "an adrenaline shot to the nuts" could jump start this little girl.

LeapOnOver is online now  
Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
  #203
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iksan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 5,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.
You know, I don't like what Capuano does either and some of the things he does leave me scratching my head...but you wanna talk about headscratchers....Capuano's all time record with the Islanders. He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.

So I still teeter totter with Cappy and just don't quite know what to expect from him. In the end, it has NOTHING to do with Failey. Too many excuses. 6 NHL seasons the onus falls on the player. Stop with the "skategoats".

LeapOnOver is online now  
Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
  #204
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.
I was having this conversation like 2 weeks ago that if Torts coached the Isles, these guys - especially Bailey - would be walking a fine line. No dogging it. Bailey would've been down in Bridgeport by now, or collecting cobwebs in the press box.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline  
Old
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
  #205
fnfelon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Long Island
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.
Funny today I was just thinking the opposite: that the core kids on the Isles, have won impressively to date despite Capuano’s coaching. Interesting argument…

fnfelon is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 12:03 AM
  #206
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
You know, I don't like what Capuano does either and some of the things he does leave me scratching my head...but you wanna talk about headscratchers....Capuano's all time record with the Islanders. He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.

So I still teeter totter with Cappy and just don't quite know what to expect from him. In the end, it has NOTHING to do with Failey. Too many excuses. 6 NHL seasons the onus falls on the player. Stop with the "skategoats".
Meh...it is lot easier to get a win these days. Al Arbour's record was 782-577-248. Imagine if all of those ties were actually decided with 4 on 4 overtimes and shootouts!

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 05:21 AM
  #207
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iksan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 5,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Meh...it is lot easier to get a win these days. Al Arbour's record was 782-577-248. Imagine if all of those ties were actually decided with 4 on 4 overtimes and shootouts!
Still don't see how Failey's lack of production has anything to do with Capuano. He's tried the kid in every dang situation imaginable and he still sucks. It's not like he's buried him on the fourth line since game 1. The kid has played everywhere and nothing has clicked. Even where he has had success, putting him back there has done nothing. He's just got a weak psyche....not cut out to be a professional athlete at all. You never hear anything about Failey working out with JT. Articles never mention his worth ethic, the time he puts in during off season. You hear it for many athletes but never Failey. I think that speaks volumes on what kind of player we are looking at. Lazy and skilled. He might as well be a Russian.....

LeapOnOver is online now  
Old
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM
  #208
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Still don't see how Failey's lack of production has anything to do with Capuano. He's tried the kid in every dang situation imaginable and he still sucks. It's not like he's buried him on the fourth line since game 1. The kid has played everywhere and nothing has clicked. Even where he has had success, putting him back there has done nothing. He's just got a weak psyche....not cut out to be a professional athlete at all. You never hear anything about Failey working out with JT. Articles never mention his worth ethic, the time he puts in during off season. You hear it for many athletes but never Failey. I think that speaks volumes on what kind of player we are looking at. Lazy and skilled. He might as well be a Russian.....
Quite venomous...

Bailey needs to find "it" whatever "it" is. He has not been good. I'm hoping he gets some pk time. Maybe he can excel there. At his point, becoming the next Manny Malholtra would be an amazing accomplishment for him. Malholtra had the drive to grind out a NHL career, though. Does Bailey?

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
  #209
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!
 
bigtim1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: long island
Country: United States
Posts: 3,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think it was "I ordered Spaghetti with Marinara and got egg noodles and ketchup" - and yes old man, that movie is as old as John Tavares and just as good.

If Bailey can, somehow, learn to play with energy like Clutterbuck or Cizikas, he'd be outstanding. But watching him live is the same as on TV, just looks worse - he turns away from checks rather than finishing them. He doesn't go hard after loose pucks, doesn't skate his hardest. Okposo used to be a lazy player and we've all seen how he's transformed his game now that he's giving it his all each shift.

Used to say the same about Comeau. Looks like wasted talent.

But Bailey's never been a bad player, even when he isn't scoring. He's got smarts and ability and he can play without the puck. I don't mind him even as a bottom six player but he's frustrating because he does have talent.

I'd like to see Bailey - Strome - Nelson for a few games. I like Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck together as well, great speed and smart defensively.

Isles are a really good team when they play with energy. Too bad they're equally horrid when they don't.
spot on.

bigtim1988 is offline  
Old
01-09-2014, 11:18 PM
  #210
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
That still pains me every time I think about it. Richard Park helped beat the Rangers in a shootout the last game of the season (I have his stick from that game) and cost us Pietrangelo. Terrible.
Wow! I'm still upset at uwe Krupp for costing us Jagr . Then we trade with buffalo and acquire him.
( then again we probably would have picked who we picked anyway S.S)
Beat the lanche!! Let's go isles

Sparksrus3 is offline  
Old
01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
  #211
redbull
2k17
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,204
vCash: 500
this board's hate for Bailey is absolutely ridiculous. He needs to work harder, he's having a bad year, he's invisible at times - well, isn't that most of the roster outside JT and Okposo? That's also true of most teams around the league, they all have underachieving players. Kadri's being run outta town in Toronto after a solid (statistical) season last year as well.

First: what is realistic to expect of a 9th overall?

2009:
8th - Scott Glennie
9th - Jared Cowan
10th Magnus Pajaarvi-bust

2008:
8th - Boedker
9th - Bailey
10th - Hodgson

2007:
8 - Zach Hamill
9 - Logan Couture
10 - Keaton Ellerby

2006:
8 - Peter Mueller
9 - James Sheppard
10 - Michael Frolik

2005
8 - Devin Setoguchi
9 - Brian Lee
10 - Luc Bourdon (passed away)

2004
8 - Alex Picard
9 - Ladislav Smid
10 - Boris Valabik

Besides Logan Couture, is there ANYONE who would be a significant upgrade over Bailey? Anyone who's make the Islanders a better team today?

Even looking at solely the 2008 draft, Bailey is 3rd (after Stamkos and Eberle) among all the forwards taken in the first round in games, goals, assists and points.

Bailey's not DISAPPOINTNG AT ALL compared to those drafted in his draft year, NOR compared to 9th overall players PERIOD. He's probably among the BETTER ONES.

The fact that Garth started this TIMELESS "REBUILD" in 2008 and mistakenly had him on the team at 18 has given this NYI fan base VERY UNREALISTIC expectations for a 9th overall player and first rounders in general.

"Oh, but the Chicago, Pittsburgh, model" - well, they at least tanked properly, landing Crosby, Malkin, Staal (should have taken Toews) and Chicago got Toews, Kane and BOTH teams added key vet players along the way. Remember when Hossa's contract was an albatross? How can they ever keep him at that cap hit?

It's ironic because Snow gets so much credit for "drafting well" and 2008 is probably his only successful year (excluding JT at 1st overall) and yet it's Bailey' who's the whipping boy?

Look at St. Louis' drafting, they haven't been "blessed" with as many top fives and they have a solid team of very good players. LA added players like Richards and Carter to augment their drafted players.

It's Snow's failures as a GM that have made Bailey "appear to" have failed as a player. He's not failed. He's been "above expectations" based on comparisons of players from his draft year and draft position.

Back to Bailey himself, he ABSOLUTELY needs to work harder, player harder, be more physical and show more. Not because he's an exceptional player who's struggling, but becaue he has talent but doesn't have the consistent work effort to go with it. That's MOSTLY on Bailey and a good portion on Capuano who's never used Bailey properly (C, LW, RW and back and forth, never with good offensive players, never on the PP). The best player's he's played with, and in the most consistent position, is LW with Neislen-Okposo and all three were ourstanding together.

End of rant. Go Isles Go.


Last edited by redbull: 01-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
redbull is offline  
Old
01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
  #212
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
If we moved him, I am not even sure the return would be that enticing. Now that being said you could go by the addition by subtraction theory. But think it of it this way, we get a draft pick for him that takes to develop for lets just say the length strome took to get to LI(and it could be longer). But guess what guys, we end up complaining about the guys Garth brings in to be a stop gap(recent/current examples regin, PMB, REASONER, Pandolfo) for that youngster to develop. How much better do we actually get? Stick with him, at best he is a third liner ok fine. i would rather take that then another Regin, PMB washed up type player.

Poliz24 is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 12:24 AM
  #213
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Bumping.

Time for Joshua The Friendly Ghost to start getting the AMAC treatment.

Paulinho is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 12:55 AM
  #214
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Bumping.

Time for Joshua The Friendly Ghost to start getting the AMAC treatment.
He is just horrible. The effort is just not there. Heartless.

duster19 is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 01:28 AM
  #215
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Bumping.

Time for Joshua The Friendly Ghost to start getting the AMAC treatment.
One of the isles hockey buzz writers, Dan, reported that he had team sources and that Snow had shopped Bailey+ CMac at the recent TDL.

I don't know how credible Dan is. I guess it makes sense with Lee/Strome/Halmo adding more energy and effort to the lineup.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 01:32 AM
  #216
MaryChristine*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Bumping.

Time for Joshua The Friendly Ghost to start getting the AMAC treatment.

MaryChristine* is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:12 AM
  #217
PK Cronin
Moderator
Bailey Fan Club Prez
 
PK Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,339
vCash: 500
He played well last night, but I only caught the end of tonight's game...he looked good when they were trying to come back. You guys are absurd with what you complain about. He even had a point tonight!

PK Cronin is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:16 AM
  #218
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iksan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 5,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
He played well last night, but I only caught the end of tonight's game...he looked good when they were trying to come back. You guys are absurd with what you complain about. He even had a point tonight!
Buahaha! Put iLandher in the club "Fooled by Bailey only trying at the end of the season". Wow, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Looks like you are on fool #4!!! Wake up!!!

LeapOnOver is online now  
Old
03-08-2014, 09:39 AM
  #219
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
Guys what are talking about? He has been our best non-existent player this year!

Poliz24 is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 10:33 AM
  #220
Chairman Wang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Lets be clear, (excuse me as I put this in caps to emphasize my point) I AM NOT A BAILEY FAN... AND I DO HOPE HE CAN BE MOVED OFF THE TEAM. However, I don't understand why people say that Bailey doesn't try…

I see him trying to win pucks along the boards. (unfortunately he often get's overpowered by stronger players).

I see him getting back on the back check (unfortunately the entire team defense is dysfunctional rendering the coverage poor).

I just don't think his problem is a lack of effort. Bailey "over-thinks" the game, then tries to get too cute in the offensive zone. When he does this he stops moving his feet looking for the perfect pass… Since he is not overly strong or fast he becomes easy to neutralize.

When Bailey (any player really) is playing with more confidence his game becomes more instinctual… doing more rather than thinking about what to do.

Chairman Wang is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 10:37 AM
  #221
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,452
vCash: 500
I predict Bailey finally breaks out at age 35 playing for Stockton of the ECHL.

Sigh, is it too late to send him back to Juniors?

Hipietro is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 10:46 AM
  #222
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 398
Suppose we're picking ahead of EDM at the 2014 draft and Ekblad is sitting there. When EDM calls to ask about swapping picks, how about if Snow says no because he wants Ekblad but offers something along the lines of Pulock and Bailey for Gagner and another asset (maybe EDM's 2015 2nd rounder)? Realistic? Good idea or bad idea?

doublechili is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 10:57 AM
  #223
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Lets be clear, (excuse me as I put this in caps to emphasize my point) I AM NOT A BAILEY FAN... AND I DO HOPE HE CAN BE MOVED OFF THE TEAM. However, I don't understand why people say that Bailey doesn't try…

I see him trying to win pucks along the boards. (unfortunately he often get's overpowered by stronger players).

I see him getting back on the back check (unfortunately the entire team defense is dysfunctional rendering the coverage poor).

I just don't think his problem is a lack of effort. Bailey "over-thinks" the game, then tries to get too cute in the offensive zone. When he does this he stops moving his feet looking for the perfect pass… Since he is not overly strong or fast he becomes easy to neutralize.

When Bailey (any player really) is playing with more confidence his game becomes more instinctual… doing more rather than thinking about what to do.
This is as good of analysis of what it wrong about Bailey than any other. All that and lack of confidence many times.

BillD is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 11:09 AM
  #224
Chairman Wang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
I predict Bailey finally breaks out at age 35 playing for Stockton of the ECHL.

Sigh, is it too late to send him back to Juniors?
Damn shame really. Bailey is the perfect example of a player that should have been given the same development time as Strome.

If he was left in Junior during his rookie NHL year he would have been on a memorial cup winning team, gold medal winning Junior Canada team. When sent down to the AHL he was given only 11 games before prematurely being called back up... during that time he was putting up an assist per game and 1.5 ppg.

Last year when he had his most successful stint on the Islanders (playing with Nielsen and Okposo) there was a sequence where I saw the trio completely owning another team in the offensive zone for the entire shift... Cycling the puck back and forth having all of these excellent looks at the goalie… and no shot was taken… until some attempt that the goalie covered up after a goal line scramble. I kept thinking if James Neal was in this situation he would have found at least three golden shooting attempts… but most likely scored on the first attempt anyway.

What's my point… development matters… and the Isles handling of Bailey has been shameful. Being put in situations of success is how players learn the nuances of the game. How to protect a lead, run a power play, when to shoot, when to make an extra move, when to just dump the puck in etc etc.

I have no doubt that if the Isles had not rushed Bailey and provided equivalent support that he would have been on par player wise as his former junior teammate Adam Henrique. To me that is is the perfect example of the development Bailey should have had.

But, the damage is done… So either play him with Tavares and Okposo to pump up his stats (make him tradable or somewhat useful) or dump him now and commit to finding a solution elsewhere… overpay in free agency.

Disclaimer: this post is not directed at any poster individually, just lamenting on what I see as a major mistake by the Islander organization.

Chairman Wang is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 11:25 AM
  #225
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Suppose we're picking ahead of EDM at the 2014 draft and Ekblad is sitting there. When EDM calls to ask about swapping picks, how about if Snow says no because he wants Ekblad but offers something along the lines of Pulock and Bailey for Gagner and another asset (maybe EDM's 2015 2nd rounder)? Realistic? Good idea or bad idea?
What is the fascination with Gagner and his 45 pt seasons? Weak defensively and physically.

He was almost dealt several weeks ago for Clifford+ a bottom six sweetener. LA asked for the Oilers to retain salary and the deal fell apart.

So, LA could have had him for a pair if bottom six players, yet the isles shoukd trade a recent 1st rounder, a top prospect for him?

CREW99AW is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.