HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bailey : The Final Straw

Old
01-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
We lose one more game - one more game - in the 07-08 season and Pietrangelo is the defensive anchor we've so desperately needed.
That still pains me every time I think about it. Richard Park helped beat the Rangers in a shootout the last game of the season (I have his stick from that game) and cost us Pietrangelo. Terrible.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Bailey is a sure fire HOF'er. Haters gon' hate.

35 in '10

Guy has fallen out of favor with Isles fans faster than his thinning head of hair.

Maybe once he realizes he's fallen out of favor with the ladies too, he'll be more focused on hockey.

I thought for sure he'd have a breakout season after watching him down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. Guy is a clown, and yeah, at least Kvasha had a 50-point season to boot.

Last edited by Poulin 0n My St1ck: 01-08-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old
01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Josh Tambellini

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
That still pains me every time I think about it. Richard Park helped beat the Rangers in a shootout the last game of the season (I have his stick from that game) and cost us Pietrangelo. Terrible.
But Charles Wang would have forced him to play in 2008-2009. As it turned out, he wasn't a full time Blue until 2010-2011. They developed him properly. Wang would not have allowed that to occur.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Isles Junkie

I think Bailey's lousy play is a direct result of poor coaching.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
I think Bailey's lousy play is a direct result of poor coaching.
I would really like to know if he's ever gone to a sports psychologist. The dude is so in his head it's palpable.

13th Floor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:54 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I would really like to know if he's ever gone to a sports psychologist. The dude is so in his head it's palpable.
Seriously, I don't know if I have ever seen a player more in need of help sorting things out.

It all stems from confidence with Bailey. Things go well, you start to see beast mode. But the moment he has two bad games in a row, things just get worse and worse.

He obviously isn't getting the help he needs from the coaching staff, so go outside the team. Talk to Okposo and get the name of his therapist.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
But Charles Wang would have forced him to play in 2008-2009. As it turned out, he wasn't a full time Blue until 2010-2011. They developed him properly. Wang would not have allowed that to occur.
True, but that doesn't mean that if Bailey was allowed to develop properly he'd be better than AP. I don't know whether you're implying that or not, but I think even in the event that we drafted AP and rushed him, I'm sure he'd still be the better player.

But why play the guessing game 5 1/2 years later.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
TommytheCat

Quote:
Man we can do anything right , can even suck enough as pit, chi, la have in the past ...I've just learned to accept it bud ....lol

TommytheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
IslandersFan17

Bailey is without a doubt a night and day player when confident. We have all seen Josh make plays that you can see why he is a top pick. Then there are times you figure Josh might as well not even suit up.

I just think the coaches need to challenge josh more. When Tavares went down a few years back and Josh was asked to step up and be the go-to-guy he flourished.

Clearly Josh needs to not just be in the background but needs to be a guy whom is depended on to stay focused. This indeed falls on the coaches and partly on the captains whom are supposed to be leaders as well.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
fnfelon

Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.

fnfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:12 PM
LeapOnOver

I am getting a Bridgeport Jersey customized

Failey

That number is his career plus/minus. Incidentally I found it odd that the seasons he put up the most points were the two seasons he had the most hits. That's why I plop the guy on the 4th line...hope he starts to hit some, and pick up the rare point. It's fourth line or press box for this fool as far as i'm concerned No more of this "maybe Okposo and Nielsen" or "Tavares and Vanek" or "an adrenaline shot to the nuts" could jump start this little girl.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
Bailey is worth working with; remember who we have Coaching him since in was drafted. I hope that he puts it all together like Okposo seems to have done this year. He needs someone to mentor him, I don't know what's bothering him but I don't think Capuano is capable of fixing it.
You know, I don't like what Capuano does either and some of the things he does leave me scratching my head...but you wanna talk about headscratchers....Capuano's all time record with the Islanders. He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.

So I still teeter totter with Cappy and just don't quite know what to expect from him. In the end, it has NOTHING to do with Failey. Too many excuses. 6 NHL seasons the onus falls on the player. Stop with the "skategoats".

Old
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
I was having this conversation like 2 weeks ago that if Torts coached the Isles, these guys - especially Bailey - would be walking a fine line. No dogging it. Bailey would've been down in Bridgeport by now, or collecting cobwebs in the press box.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
fnfelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.
Funny today I was just thinking the opposite: that the core kids on the Isles, have won impressively to date despite Capuano’s coaching. Interesting argument…

fnfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 12:03 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
You know, I don't like what Capuano does either and some of the things he does leave me scratching my head...but you wanna talk about headscratchers....Capuano's all time record with the Islanders. He's not that far from .500 and with the lousy product we have had on ice that honestly is quite impressive.

So I still teeter totter with Cappy and just don't quite know what to expect from him. In the end, it has NOTHING to do with Failey. Too many excuses. 6 NHL seasons the onus falls on the player. Stop with the "skategoats".
Meh...it is lot easier to get a win these days. Al Arbour's record was 782-577-248. Imagine if all of those ties were actually decided with 4 on 4 overtimes and shootouts!

Old
01-09-2014, 05:21 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Meh...it is lot easier to get a win these days. Al Arbour's record was 782-577-248. Imagine if all of those ties were actually decided with 4 on 4 overtimes and shootouts!
Still don't see how Failey's lack of production has anything to do with Capuano. He's tried the kid in every dang situation imaginable and he still sucks. It's not like he's buried him on the fourth line since game 1. The kid has played everywhere and nothing has clicked. Even where he has had success, putting him back there has done nothing. He's just got a weak psyche....not cut out to be a professional athlete at all. You never hear anything about Failey working out with JT. Articles never mention his worth ethic, the time he puts in during off season. You hear it for many athletes but never Failey. I think that speaks volumes on what kind of player we are looking at. Lazy and skilled. He might as well be a Russian.....

Old
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Still don't see how Failey's lack of production has anything to do with Capuano. He's tried the kid in every dang situation imaginable and he still sucks. It's not like he's buried him on the fourth line since game 1. The kid has played everywhere and nothing has clicked. Even where he has had success, putting him back there has done nothing. He's just got a weak psyche....not cut out to be a professional athlete at all. You never hear anything about Failey working out with JT. Articles never mention his worth ethic, the time he puts in during off season. You hear it for many athletes but never Failey. I think that speaks volumes on what kind of player we are looking at. Lazy and skilled. He might as well be a Russian.....
Quite venomous...

Bailey needs to find "it" whatever "it" is. He has not been good. I'm hoping he gets some pk time. Maybe he can excel there. At his point, becoming the next Manny Malholtra would be an amazing accomplishment for him. Malholtra had the drive to grind out a NHL career, though. Does Bailey?

Old
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think it was "I ordered Spaghetti with Marinara and got egg noodles and ketchup" - and yes old man, that movie is as old as John Tavares and just as good.

If Bailey can, somehow, learn to play with energy like Clutterbuck or Cizikas, he'd be outstanding. But watching him live is the same as on TV, just looks worse - he turns away from checks rather than finishing them. He doesn't go hard after loose pucks, doesn't skate his hardest. Okposo used to be a lazy player and we've all seen how he's transformed his game now that he's giving it his all each shift.

Used to say the same about Comeau. Looks like wasted talent.

But Bailey's never been a bad player, even when he isn't scoring. He's got smarts and ability and he can play without the puck. I don't mind him even as a bottom six player but he's frustrating because he does have talent.

I'd like to see Bailey - Strome - Nelson for a few games. I like Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck together as well, great speed and smart defensively.

Isles are a really good team when they play with energy. Too bad they're equally horrid when they don't.
spot on.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Wow! I'm still upset at uwe Krupp for costing us Jagr . Then we trade with buffalo and acquire him.
( then again we probably would have picked who we picked anyway S.S)
Beat the lanche!! Let's go isles

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

this board's hate for Bailey is absolutely ridiculous. He needs to work harder, he's having a bad year, he's invisible at times - well, isn't that most of the roster outside JT and Okposo? That's also true of most teams around the league, they all have underachieving players. Kadri's being run outta town in Toronto after a solid (statistical) season last year as well.

First: what is realistic to expect of a 9th overall?

2009:
8th - Scott Glennie
9th - Jared Cowan
10th Magnus Pajaarvi-bust

2008:
8th - Boedker
9th - Bailey
10th - Hodgson

2007:
8 - Zach Hamill
9 - Logan Couture
10 - Keaton Ellerby

2006:
8 - Peter Mueller
9 - James Sheppard
10 - Michael Frolik

8 - Devin Setoguchi
9 - Brian Lee
10 - Luc Bourdon (passed away)

8 - Alex Picard
9 - Ladislav Smid
10 - Boris Valabik

Besides Logan Couture, is there ANYONE who would be a significant upgrade over Bailey? Anyone who's make the Islanders a better team today?

Even looking at solely the 2008 draft, Bailey is 3rd (after Stamkos and Eberle) among all the forwards taken in the first round in games, goals, assists and points.

Bailey's not DISAPPOINTNG AT ALL compared to those drafted in his draft year, NOR compared to 9th overall players PERIOD. He's probably among the BETTER ONES.

The fact that Garth started this TIMELESS "REBUILD" in 2008 and mistakenly had him on the team at 18 has given this NYI fan base VERY UNREALISTIC expectations for a 9th overall player and first rounders in general.

"Oh, but the Chicago, Pittsburgh, model" - well, they at least tanked properly, landing Crosby, Malkin, Staal (should have taken Toews) and Chicago got Toews, Kane and BOTH teams added key vet players along the way. Remember when Hossa's contract was an albatross? How can they ever keep him at that cap hit?

It's ironic because Snow gets so much credit for "drafting well" and 2008 is probably his only successful year (excluding JT at 1st overall) and yet it's Bailey' who's the whipping boy?

Look at St. Louis' drafting, they haven't been "blessed" with as many top fives and they have a solid team of very good players. LA added players like Richards and Carter to augment their drafted players.

It's Snow's failures as a GM that have made Bailey "appear to" have failed as a player. He's not failed. He's been "above expectations" based on comparisons of players from his draft year and draft position.

Back to Bailey himself, he ABSOLUTELY needs to work harder, player harder, be more physical and show more. Not because he's an exceptional player who's struggling, but becaue he has talent but doesn't have the consistent work effort to go with it. That's MOSTLY on Bailey and a good portion on Capuano who's never used Bailey properly (C, LW, RW and back and forth, never with good offensive players, never on the PP). The best player's he's played with, and in the most consistent position, is LW with Neislen-Okposo and all three were ourstanding together.

End of rant. Go Isles Go.

Last edited by redbull: 01-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Poliz24

If we moved him, I am not even sure the return would be that enticing. Now that being said you could go by the addition by subtraction theory. But think it of it this way, we get a draft pick for him that takes to develop for lets just say the length strome took to get to LI(and it could be longer). But guess what guys, we end up complaining about the guys Garth brings in to be a stop gap(recent/current examples regin, PMB, REASONER, Pandolfo) for that youngster to develop. How much better do we actually get? Stick with him, at best he is a third liner ok fine. i would rather take that then another Regin, PMB washed up type player.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote