HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Star Break: Are the habs above or below your pre season expectations so far?

View Poll Results: The habs have...
Exceeded you pre-season expectations thus far 47 52.22%
Met your pre-season expectations thus far 38 42.22%
not met your pre-season expectations thus far 2 2.22%
This poll blows 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
All Star Break: Are the habs above or below your pre season expectations so far?

So, we are at the all star break and I think its a good time to reflect back to our pre season predictions for the team. Accroding to your pre season predictions, have the habs met, surpassed, or played below your expectations as a team in whole.

As of right now, the team has 59 points (4th overall in the east) PLUS, a game in hand against every team in the east that is 3 points above/below the habs in the standings! Unfortunately, it seems as though the only way the habs can get a top 3 spot is to get 1st spot... very unlikely.

Considering that I picked the habs to have finshed 6th in the conference this season, I must say that they have surpassed my expectations so far.

However, if were to tell you at the start of the season that Alex Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov would have less than 20 goals combined at the all star break, who would have thought the habs would be in 4th? Its quite amazing, really.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:43 AM
#eleven

Well I thought if they do really really well, they could contend for the home ice advantage. But that was in summer when I still expected Gainey to get a 2nd line center or a good defenseman. Realistically, in the beginning of the season I expected for a 6th spot... So, surpassed - so far.

OT: 1st post ever, 19-year-old, 12-yr Saku fan from Finland. Hello!

#eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

above expectations

hello saku fan welcome to the board

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:00 AM
oli500

4th or 5th place was pretty much what I was expecting from this club. So they met my expectation. There a better club than last year. They have a more balance attack and they have a goalie in huet who makes the key saves to help his team stay in the game. I would off been disapointed if we would off been in 7th or 8th again. This being said I did not expect the Power play to be this good.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:22 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

While everyone in the media predicted us to not make the playoffs or be lucky to get a low seed, I knew we would be in top 6 in the conference, while there is still 34 games to play, we are in good shape.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
So, we are at the all star break and I think its a good time to reflect back to our pre season predictions for the team. Accroding to your pre season predictions, have the habs met, surpassed, or played below your expectations as a team in whole.

As of right now, the team has 59 points (4th overall in the east) PLUS, a game in hand against every team in the east that is 3 points above/below the habs in the standings! Unfortunately, it seems as though the only way the habs can get a top 3 spot is to get 1st spot... very unlikely.

Considering that I picked the habs to have finshed 6th in the conference this season, I must say that they have surpassed my expectations so far.

However, if were to tell you at the start of the season that Alex Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov would have less than 20 goals combined at the all star break, who would have thought the habs would be in 4th? Its quite amazing, really.

If MTL becomes 1st in our division, they're practically automatically 1st in the league, the only reason for them not to be is if they became 1st in our division due to a massive buffalo slump. If the habs just keep working hard and beating teams on nights buffalo doesn't and keeping our L10 record 1-2 games ahead of theirs in wins, we cud definitely jump to first in the conference.

The habs this season are a stanley cup contender. Do not let stupid TSN analysts or anybody else tell you otherwise. We've got the goaltending and a decent backup. We've got the best offensive D in the league. We have a bunch of people who have the ability to score who have been having some trouble this season but after an entire season of playing together, by the time the playoffs come, they'll play at the peek of their abilities. Plus of course people like Kovalev are going to play extremely ell because it's playoffs.

Keep the following people healthy and I could see the habs getting past the 2nd round:

Huet/Koivu/Kovalev/Higgins/Souray/Markov

Definitely there are other notables.

Now we can pray that Atlanta falls prey to the Carolina hurricanes and the Thrashers get put in 5th and we're in 4th. Then 1st round vs Atlanta. I think we would KILL them. Then 2nd round would definitely either be ottawa/buffalo/new jersey, which is pretty scary. I think our best 2nd round team wud be buffalo.

We don't want to have to go up against NJ or OTT in the playoffs.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:41 AM
psychonaut

Well I did not think/belive that we could do better then Buffalo. So id say this is as good as I though they would be. Wiche is pretty good since I always think they will do better then they normaly do.
Way to go Habs!!!
We are one 2nd line center from being a condender, and I saw him play here for 2 games

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Habitants

i also though we would be ranked about 6th, so for the team to be holding down 4th is great. i did not expect our special teams to be so great, the new coaches are doin a fine job! Huet is not a flop, and he is playing well on most nihgts, Koivu is playing great, and producing points. so the habs are above my expectation.

but i am very dissapointed in samsanov and i had hoped for better from kovalev. hopefully Carbo will keep the new lines for a abit and we can see some more production from both of them.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:24 AM
AH

I expected the team to make the playoffs - anywhere from 5th to 8th with only a few points separating the teams (like 6 points or less). So thus far they are right on target / slightly exceed.

However, I figured the team would have a much better 5 on 5 showing after what we saw in the second half of last season.

*I am scratchng my head a little with this team*

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Souray44

My guess was 6th place in the East with about 95 points and they are above that prediction so far.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
HABkings

In regards to points I do feel they have exceeded my expectations but... In regards to team play, not up to par IMO. I feel like they are getting the job done and yet the majority of the players in our eyes are underacheiving, kind of a weird situation.

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

I would prefer that they finish 6th rather than 4th or 5th because then they would face Atlanta rather than Ottawa.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I thought we would be lower due to the fact that I didn't think getting Sammy was an improvement.

I was wrong in one case but right with the other.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Guy Caballero

I voted for "This poll blows" just because I think it should be an option in all future polls.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:23 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

In terms of standings, yes they exceeded my expectations, but in terms of divisional placement they're right where I expected. Thus, I voted "met my expectations". Unfortunately Ottawa's goaltending and defense is playing better than I expected, so the Habs might not end up ahead of Ottawa at season's end.

Unfortunately, Montreal only has two consecutive days off three times until the end of February, something that happened much more frequently in the first couple months of the season. I think that contributed to the good play that they were giving, and also to the bad stretch in December/January. I expect the Habs might dip in February a little bit, but then come back in March when their schedule has more 2+ consective off-days. Finishing the season with momentum is more important to me than the position at which we actually finish.