HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier wants to bring AHL team to the Bronx

Old
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
district9

vCash: 500
I could see this being a good idea for whichever AHL franchise it becomes (easy access from Westchester AND anywhere in the city) but have a feeling the Rangers won't let it happen ESPECIALLY not the Pack. Anything that might take away from attendance isn't what Dolan wants. The idea of a hockey team in the Bronx isn't new, ~5 years ago when the Dayton Bombers were discussing folding there was a group looking to move them into the Bronx (Bronx Bombers, works perfectly right?) but it just didn't work out.

If this ends up happening, awesome. If not, I wouldn't mind it either. Easy access and I'm sure I'd go to a lot of games, but personally I think I'd rather see the USHL move in.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:16 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The sport doesn't grow by continuing to put it in the same old areas. When the NHL expands the last thing I want is another team in Quebec.
I agree to an extent, if we want to grow the sport we have to put some teams in non-traditional markets to expose people to the game. On the flip side, we get lockouts because the owners try to fit square pegs into round holes. I just don't see an AHL team working out in the Bronx.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:21 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
I could see this being a good idea for whichever AHL franchise it becomes (easy access from Westchester AND anywhere in the city) but have a feeling the Rangers won't let it happen ESPECIALLY not the Pack. Anything that might take away from attendance isn't what Dolan wants. The idea of a hockey team in the Bronx isn't new, ~5 years ago when the Dayton Bombers were discussing folding there was a group looking to move them into the Bronx (Bronx Bombers, works perfectly right?) but it just didn't work out.

If this ends up happening, awesome. If not, I wouldn't mind it either. Easy access and I'm sure I'd go to a lot of games, but personally I think I'd rather see the USHL move in.
an AHL franchise in the bronx is not taking away from ranger attendance.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:33 PM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
As an Manhattanite living on a budget, I'd absolutely go to AHL games in the Bronx regardless of affiliation.

I'm priced out of Rangers games at this point, unless it's a midweek game against a western conference team, and sometimes a guy just wants to throw some back at a live game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Yeah I only go when I take clients and honestly I don't even wanna do that anymore. I haven't been to a game since 11-12 playoffs. It's just too expensive for what you're getting. Not worth it, whatsoever. Rather watch on tv.
I mean not for nothing but even if 3% of Rangers fans who would normally go to a game NOW decide they'd rather save their money and spend $12 to see the Pack it could take a toll on Rangers attendance. Imagine it when the Rangers are bad. I know Islanders fans who, during the darker years, would take the ferry across to Bridgeport because they'd rather watch prospects than a terrible NHL product. What if the Rangers hit a skid and you STILL can't get tickets below $50-60? My family didn't pay to watch those teams of those early-mid 2000's that were frustratingly bad and neither did a lot of other fans. The Knicks before their "rebuild" were selling tickets for as low as $4 at one point!

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

On a side note... I can't imagine 9 rinks being used simultaneously in the Bronx, I can't even imagine it in the more affluent places in the suburbs.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm sure he wants to coach it...
Well Messier said he wanted to coach in NYC, so It would be a good place for him to start.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:52 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
On a side note... I can't imagine 9 rinks being used simultaneously in the Bronx, I can't even imagine it in the more affluent places in the suburbs.
Don't forget there would be private figure skating lessons. HS hockey teams looking for ice, clubs, etc so might not be all hockey. If the price is right they will come and there are millions of people in the general vicinity

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Mikos87

Great on Mark to step and do something for the Bronx. Would be huge for growing the game and developing an area that needs it.

Would love to see this happen. Kudos to Messier for stepping up for New York City and the game of hockey.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Don't forget there would be private figure skating lessons. HS hockey teams looking for ice, clubs, etc so might not be all hockey. If the price is right they will come and there are millions of people in the general vicinity
Agreed. As long as there is sufficient parking, I can imagine it becoming home to a few high school and travel teams, maybe even a junior team or two. Not to mention all the beer leagues that will use it. It's probably easier for those on the east side of Manhattan to get to the armory than it is to get to Chelsea Piers. And prices will probably be better (until the invisible hand kicks in).

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Agreed. As long as there is sufficient parking, I can imagine it becoming home to a few high school and travel teams, maybe even a junior team or two. Not to mention all the beer leagues that will use it. It's probably easier for those on the east side of Manhattan to get to the armory than it is to get to Chelsea Piers. And prices will probably be better (until the invisible hand kicks in).
My alma matter already committed.

Quote:
Fordham Prep ‏@FordhamPrep 10 Nov
Fordham Prep signed a letter of intent to partner with the Kingsbridge National Ice Center when it opens.
Others will certainly follow suit. Not sure if this rink would be the geographically closest one for Mount St. Michael, but it definitely is for St. Raymond's. I'm not sure if Spellman has a team anymore, but if they do or get one back, they're sure to play there as well.

Surely Fordham University's club team will also play there. Hell, perhaps they eventually make the jump to becoming a D1 team. There's been talk about NYU making the jump to D3 as well, their current arena (Chelsea Piers) doesn't have the capacity, so perhaps they look to the Bronx.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Crease

This also opens the door for NY to host major showcases and tournaments. A central location stretching from Philadelphia to Boston. Finding hotels won't be a problem, and nor will be finding things to do between games during the long weekend.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:34 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
This also opens the door for NY to host major showcases and tournaments. A central location stretching from Philadelphia to Boston. Finding hotels won't be a problem, and nor will be finding things to do between games during the long weekend.
world juniors!

Old
01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

My son is in the same hockey program as the son of one of the top guys involved in this project. Here is some of the things he has told me.

- NYC will finally get its first AAA youth program. That is one of the most exciting things for many of the people involved with this project. If your kid plays hockey and you live in Manhattan, or any of the 5 boroughs, you are either driving to Long Island or NJ. Pretty difficult for many people.
They have interest from many teams already. With all the ice available they plan on making it somewhat of a self sufficient location with 2-3 AAA programs playing out of there. This will cut down on traveling time and costs because they vision teams playing each other there. They plan on making it a huge hub for youth hockey tournaments as well.

- They will bring in an AHL or juniors team. Not sure which but it is definitely going to happen Mess is adamant about it.

- They are going to have 1 or 2 sheets of Olympic sized ice, I don't remember which he said. They want to host international tournaments and maybe one day even try for an Olympics nod. Everyone here is thinking BIG.

- As you guys already said plenty of HS and College teams are interested in coming over.

If I remember any more I will let you guys know.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
My son is in the same hockey program as the son of one of the top guys involved in this project. Here is some of the things he has told me.

- NYC will finally get its first AAA youth program. That is one of the most exciting things for many of the people involved with this project. If your kid plays hockey and you live in Manhattan, or any of the 5 boroughs, you are either driving to Long Island or NJ. Pretty difficult for many people.
They have interest from many teams already. With all the ice available they plan on making it somewhat of a self sufficient location with 2-3 AAA programs playing out of there. This will cut down on traveling time and costs because they vision teams playing each other there. They plan on making it a huge hub for youth hockey tournaments as well.

- They will bring in an AHL or juniors team. Not sure which but it is definitely going to happen Mess is adamant about it.

- They are going to have 1 or 2 sheets of Olympic sized ice, I don't remember which he said. They want to host international tournaments and maybe one day even try for an Olympics nod. Everyone here is thinking BIG.

- As you guys already said plenty of HS and College teams are interested in coming over.

If I remember any more I will let you guys know.
All good stuff. Wish they had those programs when I was growing up here.

Old
01-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Brady Skjei

Didn't Mess say on ****** that in 2014 they'll come up with the final design of the place? Maybe they'll expand the capacity of that big rink to fit a bigger team there. Who knows. I'd love to see a AAA youth or junior team there though. Staten Island is a trek to there but hopefully I'll be in Brooklyn by then..

Edit: Doing some research on youth/junior hockey, one question. What is meant by Junior AAA? Cause from what I've read the youth/junior levels in the US are called Tier I, II and III.. Tier I is the USHL, Tier II is the NAHL (who's eastern-most team is in Johnstown, PA and stretches west to CA/WA) and Tier III are the youth programs like Apple Core, Metro Moose, NJ Rockets, etc. that I'm sure a few of us played for or against when we were younger. Tier III is split into Junior A and Junior B. There are two Tier III teams in Brooklyn (Metro Moose and Aviators) and outside of that, kids would have to drive to either Brewster, LI, or Jersey to play. It'd be awesome to have another program in the Bronx that has teams from Mites to that level.. would spread the game to a new place and it's in a nice, populated area.

Last edited by Brady Skjei: 01-10-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Brady Skjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:

wow, that's awesome news. The press had said all ice was going to be regulation, but it makes too much sense to have at least 1 olympic size.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:20 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
My alma matter already committed.

Others will certainly follow suit. Not sure if this rink would be the geographically closest one for Mount St. Michael, but it definitely is for St. Raymond's. I'm not sure if Spellman has a team anymore, but if they do or get one back, they're sure to play there as well.

Surely Fordham University's club team will also play there. Hell, perhaps they eventually make the jump to becoming a D1 team. There's been talk about NYU making the jump to D3 as well, their current arena (Chelsea Piers) doesn't have the capacity, so perhaps they look to the Bronx.
Wonder if Xavier will use it too. They started a hockey program the year after I left, but I heard they were using Bayonne High School's rink in Jersey that year. Dunno where they went to from there

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Brady Skjei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Wonder if Xavier will use it too. They started a hockey program the year after I left, but I heard they were using Bayonne High School's rink in Jersey that year. Dunno where they went to from there
Looking at the CHSHL website, it says that Xavier is still playing in Bayonne. That'd be a good rink for them. Once the ice center opens they'll have teams in this league playing in 4 out of 5 boroughs as well as Westchester and LI. The less games at Murray's, the better..

Old
01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
Looking at the CHSHL website, it says that Xavier is still playing in Bayonne. That'd be a good rink for them. Once the ice center opens they'll have teams in this league playing in 4 out of 5 boroughs as well as Westchester and LI. The less games at Murray's, the better..
Funny meeting other Xavier boys here. I graduated class of '97. We used to take the train to the Kinsgbridge armory to run track there so i can definitely see the hockey team going up there as well.

Maybe by then the program becomes more popular and they can play better competition. I recently found out they had a hockey team so i went by the school to pick up a xavier hockey hoody in support. I was looking at some of the hockey team photos and it listed the teams playing at C level. Pretty low but I guess they are getting kids completely new to the sport.

Would be sweet if my old HS one day had a badass varsity team.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 10:57 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
world juniors!
lol yes they will play the world juniors in a 5000 seat arena

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Cake or Death

I'm born and raised in the Bronx and don't even wanna go there haha

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:52 PM
The Undertaker

If it's the Wolfpack and I honestly hope it's not because I cherish my trips to Hartford with the father, I'll probably get a season package.

It'd be a shame to not have a team up in Hartford though, love making the trip up there and going to a bar before hand and afterward, it's a good little getaway.

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Brady Skjei

Quote:
Funny meeting other Xavier boys here. I graduated class of '97. We used to take the train to the Kinsgbridge armory to run track there so i can definitely see the hockey team going up there as well.

Maybe by then the program becomes more popular and they can play better competition. I recently found out they had a hockey team so i went by the school to pick up a xavier hockey hoody in support. I was looking at some of the hockey team photos and it listed the teams playing at C level. Pretty low but I guess they are getting kids completely new to the sport.

Would be sweet if my old HS one day had a badass varsity team.
I actually graduated from St. Joseph by the Sea a few years ago in 2011.. my junior year we were in the B division and played Xavier a few times and every game ended in some sort of fight haha.. when playoffs rolled around we were the 1 seed and they were 4, but they decided to drop out (I guess to prevent any brawls or something like that) They had a good team, a few really talented kids.. this year they're in first place in the B division. They've had a solid team for a few years.

It's cool seeing how that league evolves over the years. Hopefully the ice center can provide more ice time for schools and maybe a few more programs can get started up. I had a great time playing HS hockey, it would be great if that league could expand a bit.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:34 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
lol yes they will play the world juniors in a 5000 seat arena
needed a 2nd arena. use brooklyn or msg as the main one.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Played them last year at Aviator actually with my travel team, was a scrimmage so not sure if that's their main rink.

Edit: whoopsies. Read too quickly and thought you said Xaverian.

Quote:
I actually graduated from St. Joseph by the Sea a few years ago in 2011.. my junior year we were in the B division and played Xavier a few times and every game ended in some sort of fight haha.. when playoffs rolled around we were the 1 seed and they were 4, but they decided to drop out (I guess to prevent any brawls or something like that) They had a good team, a few really talented kids.. this year they're in first place in the B division. They've had a solid team for a few years.

It's cool seeing how that league evolves over the years. Hopefully the ice center can provide more ice time for schools and maybe a few more programs can get started up. I had a great time playing HS hockey, it would be great if that league could expand a bit.
St. Joes?

Kidding of course. Hated going to Clove Lake though. Was fine though cause we usually came away with 2 points .