HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

tsn has report kasparaitis waived

Old
01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
BigE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Seriously, though...I'd be pretty shocked if he were picked up. Hefty price tag for a 34 y.o. defender whose ability to play errodes further with every game.
That's exactly it. I smell a buy-out at year's end.

Kasparaitis has been a solider for this club, and I certainly respect him more now than I did before he came. With that said, it's time for the team to close the book on his chapter.

Whether it's to give someone like Baranka a look or open cap room to bring in someone I think it's what we need to do.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
broadwayblue

This is a shame. When healthy he was the only guy on our D who actually made opposing players look twice before carrying the puck in our zone. He was the one guy who made guys pass a split second earlier than they otherwise would have. We are now officially SOFT on D. I know this is the "new" NHL, but we really need to find someone who can be a physical presence in front of the crease.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The issue no one's mentioned is that Pock has now become a regular.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:32 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
This is a shame. When healthy he was the only guy on our D who actually made opposing players look twice before carrying the puck in our zone. He was the one guy who made guys pass a split second earlier than they otherwise would have. We are now officially SOFT on D. I know this is the "new" NHL, but we really need to find someone who can be a physical presence in front of the crease.
I disagree. Aaron Ward and Toots are in the top 10 in the league in the hits department. In terms of guys who are willing to drop their gloves to stick up for teammates, we defintly don't have that on our backline but kaspar never dropped his mitts either.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
DutchShamrock

This may not be a monetarily motivated move but just a necessary step to clear a roster spot for the upcoming Hartford defender. It has been obvious since day 1 of this seasons that Renney has not been pleased with Darius, some feel like Malik should be the first to go but that's not how it is going to play out in Renney's fantasy dream world.

Hopefully this is the first step towards continuing the NWO established last season. Maybe Malik, Hossa and Hall are the next to go. Maybe its a message that everyone receives. I just hope they stop acting like the teams that missed the 7 straight and start acting like the team from last year. No more of this b.s. of getting by because you are Renney's poolboy.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Does this mean we wont see the "Nobody bumps into our goalie" commercials?

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I disagree. Aaron Ward and Toots are in the top 10 in the league in the hits department. In terms of guys who are willing to drop their gloves to stick up for teammates, we defintly don't have that on our backline but kaspar never dropped his mitts either.
Who says that the replacement doesn't bring any grit? Besides, Kaspar hasn't really been the wrecking ball that he used to be.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Does this mean we wont see the "Nobody bumps into our goalie" commercials?
Well, they stopped with the "Max, that's enough!" commercials (which come to think of it, starred Darius as well - hmmm...) last year after he was traded...

Which was a shame, 'cause those were my favorites.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Who says that the replacement doesn't bring any grit? Besides, Kaspar hasn't really been the wrecking ball that he used to be.
I'll be the first to admit that Kaspar the friendly ghost hasn't been anything like the wrecking ball he used to be. That said, are guys really afraid of Toots and Ward? Toots is stepping up in the physical play department, but I don't think he terrifies anyone.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
ran1gers

You must be kidding...just because you "hit" someone, with your purse or your hip are two completley different hits. This league is counting stuff as hits that shouldn't be. I think Brashire was given a "hit" credit when Ward got to close...Oh I can't wait to see this team take the ice next time...most of us felt they were soft before...just wait...

ran1gers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
xander

Makes you wonder if there is some truth to the Prucha + Hall for Malone + Orpik rumors. If that deal goes through then the rangers have to dump a defensemen. This could be a move made for the sake of clearing cap room and making space for a call up, but also of making space for Orpik if he's aquired (that's assuming that the dman called up from hartford is young enough to avoid waivers on the way back down.)

Personally, I'm not in favor of moving prucha to pittsburgh (he'll burn us) but it makes some sense.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Prucha, w/ Crosby feeding him the puck, will score 40 a year.

Hes being so poorly managed its not even funny.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Now if they'd just waive Malik...

As for who gets called up, I wonder if they'll even call up a defenseman at the moment. Might call up a forward to test out first.

I'd rather see Baranka in NY than Girardi, mainly because I don't feel Girardi will ever be a real good NHL defenseman and Baranka is more suited to the NHL, but you could see Girardi called up to be the 7th D as well...
how does Malik not get waived is beyond me. If Sather thinks this bum has more trade value than Kasper, he must be smoking something really good. Yes Kasper's contract is more than Malik, but Kasper also brings alot more to the table than Malik.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
TomLaidlaw

Does anyone seriously think this move will have any impact on our overall team toughness? Our team was soft with Kaspar they will remain soft without him. He added nothing to this team other than a quirky locker room prescence and an occasional soundbite. Did I miss the memo when Kaspar was regarded as a "tough" guy?

This year on the rare occasion he tried to throw an open ice hit he usually ended up taking himself out of the play and giving the other team an odd man rush. Kapsar was a player who threw borderline legal hits to the other teams star players and never answered the bell when the other team tried to hold him accountable for it. Some people call that "playing smart" I call that gutless. I hated kaspar when he played with the islanders and pens and I didn't really like him when he was here, why, because I thought he was gutless before he came here and when he came here he pulled the same gutless nonsense. I'd be a hypocrite if I would have started defending his actions now that he had a Ranger sweater on. Ryan Hollweg is tough. Matt Barnaby is tough. George McPhee was tough. When you play the game a certain way you have to answer the bell when someone challenges you. Kaspar perfected the art of turtling and declining fights, i didn't like that when he was with the Pens/Isles and I didn't like it when he was with us either.

Old
01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Prucha, w/ Crosby feeding him the puck, will score 40 a year.

Hes being so poorly managed its not even funny.
Me, w/ Crosby feeding me the puck would score 45 goals.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
you're right. how many more weeks before we get calls for him to be replaced by someone younger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR
how does Malik not get waived is beyond me. If Sather thinks this bum has more trade value than Kasper, he must be smoking something really good. Yes Kasper's contract is more than Malik, but Kasper also brings alot more to the table than Malik.
an NHL GM getting trade value tips from the bad trade proposal guy on an internet message board, now I've seen it all.

Malik, although not playing well, still has the ability to play well, unlike Kaspar, who's body won't let him. I'd bet 30 GMs would take Malik.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:43 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Because everyone's hung up on bashing Renney/Maloney. I know there are alot of problems with this team, and both have been far from perfect but even when something is done right by either, the move is met with more sarcasm and negativity than positivity...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
XploD

I hope this isn't the end. If it is, then man how I'm going to miss watching the guy running around just being annoying. In his prime there wasn't a guy who could throw an opponent off his game like he could.

I'll miss the surprised and miserable look he got whenever he got a call against him.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
NYCLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post

How so? In being out of shape? In playing a game that is MAYBE half of what he used to be? Out with the old and in with the new.

NYCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:59 PM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLV View Post
How so? In being out of shape? In playing a game that is MAYBE half of what he used to be? Out with the old and in with the new.
An out of shape Kaspar is better than Malik.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:02 PM
NYCLV

For all his shortcomings, Malik is SOLID in his own end....especially on the PK.........as long as he keeps his stick to himself.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:04 PM
JayMan82

Kaspar even has a better shot than Malik!!! (Not like that says much...)

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:22 PM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLV View Post
For all his shortcomings, Malik is SOLID in his own end....especially on the PK.........as long as he keeps his stick to himself.
I wouldn't call Malik solid in his own end.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
TomLaidlaw

Comparing Kaspar and Malik is like comparing a bag of dog poop to a bag of vomit. Neither one is good

Old
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
NYCLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
I wouldn't call Malik solid in his own end.

shows me a lot