HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Don Maloney interview-WFAN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
  #26
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think most of the main points have been hit. Additionally:

- The team has faced a lot more adversity than last year. Ex. Jagr's shoulder injury.

- You will see Girardi this season. Baranka, he feels, needs to show more consistency.

- The team is structured in a way that the vets who log the most ice time have to get the job done. 8-10 young guys could come up right now and play, but the team only goes as far as Shanny and the top line will take it.

- Prucha is a very important part of the future. The organization has not lost faith in him. He's not untradeable, but will only be dealt for a package that helps the team long term.
Was the point covered that although he is not in the limelight, Sather works as hard as any G.M,according to Maloney. The statement seems to undermine the rest of the interview

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
  #27
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Was the point covered that although he is not in the limelight, Sather works as hard as any G.M,according to Maloney. The statement seems to undermine the rest of the interview
Did Maloney actually say that, that Sather works as hard as any GM?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:29 PM
  #28
JRGNYR
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Did Maloney actually say that, that Sather works as hard as any GM?
Not in specifically those words, but yes he did.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
  #29
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Did Maloney actually say that, that Sather works as hard as any GM?
Yep! If anyone heard the interview ,please confirm

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:32 PM
  #30
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Was the point covered that although he is not in the limelight, Sather works as hard as any G.M,according to Maloney. The statement seems to undermine the rest of the interview
It was. Something to the effect of, "He may not be in the public eye or quoted in the press a lot, but....."

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:33 PM
  #31
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Listen I haven't heard the interview, and maybe if I did I'd be as convinced as you are. But I just can't imagine radio hosts accepting him saying this garbage when they haven't actually DONE anything they're talking about.

I mean, when he was talking about the rebuild, did anyone ask how claiming a 32-year old Jason Krog off waivers, and having him center the second line last game, and giving him more ice time than Petr Prucha, fit in with the grand rebuild? Did anyone ask him why Immonen isn't playing, when a bunch of no-talent older losers are? Did anyone ask about Renney overplaying a 38-year-old Shanahan so early in the season, and playing him so much on the PK, LIKE RENNEY SAID WOULDN'T HAPPEN, that he's already burnt out, and there's still a long way to go?

Maloney can come on and say whatever he wants. I guess the next step is Al Trautwig throwing softball questions at Sather during an 'exclusive' Isiah Thomas-like MSG interview.

But like someone said, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding sucks. And from what I've read here, Maloney is lying about the pudding too, to make it seem better than it is.
ALot of these points such as Prucha's ice time, Shanny's ice time, Krog on the 2nd line are not rebuild issues, but issues concerning Renny's coaching decisions which, IMO, have been very lacking..And I don't think Maloney is going to comment on that...

Maloney's take on the organizational philosophy seems consistent with Renney's in that, though a kid or two might have been ready at the start, they both wanted to leave the kids in Hartford to learn more and develop more..I think they made the right decisions and now the kids are ready and better and the Rangers are ready to use them (maybe)...

And of course, Maloney is going to practice GM-speak, they all do..I have no doubt the Rangers are looking at a 2nd C via trade even if he doesn't play it up...ANd I agree with him...Dubinsky, though he may be able to contribute in the nHL is probably better served in Hartford and IMMO is just not a 2nd C..heck I don't even know if he's 4th line C with his lack of speed, energy and physicality...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:34 PM
  #32
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It was. Something to the effect of, "He may not be in the public eye or quoted in the press a lot, but....."
I don't remember if it was "works as hard"... might have been something more like "is as active as".

Someone who listens for the first time later, please confirm the exact language.

(Although does it REALLY matter?)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
  #33
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Dave & Fletch - c'mon guys, read the last line of my post again. I'm not saying it's so; I'm just saying he said all the right things and was very emphatic about it.

He didn't specifically address Immonen or Krog, but spoke in generalities about HFD and how they didn't think the kids were ready earlier and how he thinks they're in a different place now developmentally than they were at the beginning of the season. He mentioned specific guys by name that he thinks will be with the big club by the end of the year. He said they'll call someone up in the next 7-10 days. He said specifically that they won't trade Staal for Forsberg. It's about as good as I've ever heard. And Schmoozer doesn't toss softballs - he asked about specific rumors and specific prospects. Listen to the interview and you'll like what you hear.

But I ended with the last line of my previous post for a reason.
Not picking on you, Brooklyn dude, and like I said if I heard the interview maybe I'd feel the same as you. But at face value it sounds like the same bunch of lies we've been handed for a decade.

I would particularly liked to have heard them mention Krog. Because that decision in the last game absolutely boggles the mind, and is a perfect example of everything that's wrong with this organization. And it completely contradicts everything he said in this interview. A good interviewer would have asked that. A Canadian interviewer would have asked that.

Mike and the Mad Dog, if they knew anything about hockey, would have asked that. Please don't hijack this into a 'Mike and the Mad Dog know nothing about hockey' thread, we all agree on that. Make a separate thread for that if you like.

But I think I would like to hear someone, anyone, ask Maloney and, God forbid, Sather, some really tough questions. Kind of like how they've raked Scott Layden and Rich Kotite over the coals. Because Sather is a lot worse than both of them.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:38 PM
  #34
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It was. Something to the effect of, "He may not be in the public eye or quoted in the press a lot, but....."
Well that's awesome. The assistant GM feels the need to defend the work ethic of the GM, because even he knows that it seems like the GM does NOTHING except make bad decisions.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:44 PM
  #35
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
ALot of these points such as Prucha's ice time, Shanny's ice time, Krog on the 2nd line are not rebuild issues, but issues concerning Renny's coaching decisions which, IMO, have been very lacking..And I don't think Maloney is going to comment on that...

Maloney's take on the organizational philosophy seems consistent with Renney's in that, though a kid or two might have been ready at the start, they both wanted to leave the kids in Hartford to learn more and develop more..I think they made the right decisions and now the kids are ready and better and the Rangers are ready to use them (maybe)...

And of course, Maloney is going to practice GM-speak, they all do..I have no doubt the Rangers are looking at a 2nd C via trade even if he doesn't play it up...ANd I agree with him...Dubinsky, though he may be able to contribute in the nHL is probably better served in Hartford and IMMO is just not a 2nd C..heck I don't even know if he's 4th line C with his lack of speed, energy and physicality...
I disagree that Renney's decisions are separate from the overall philosophy of the team. The coach, assistant GM, figurehead GM, and anyone else with decision-making capabilities need to be together on this. If the coach isn't on the same page, he should be fired.

If Renney is separate everything Maloney said meant nothing, because it doesn't matter how many of the kids who are progressing so nicely are called up, it won't matter, because RENNEY WON'T PLAY THEM. Or won't play them as much as he plays Colton Orr.

And until the Rangers are ready to use them, they aren't ready to use them. I don't want to be told how well the kids are going to play someday, if everyone is doing their job players would already be graduating to the big team. They're not.

It's not like this regime just took over here, they've all been here a while, and still there is very little to show, either in victories or prospects, to validate any effectiveness whatsoever of this management team.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:45 PM
  #36
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,346
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Well that's awesome. The assistant GM feels the need to defend the work ethic of the GM, because even he knows that it seems like the GM does NOTHING except make bad decisions.
On the other hand, when Sommers introduced him as "GM of the New York Rangers", Maloney did feel compelled to correct him.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
  #37
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Good to see managment wants to keep Prucha around. A the same time you know some ones going, and Prucha could still be part of that deal.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
  #38
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
On the other hand, when Sommers introduced him as "GM of the New York Rangers", Maloney did feel compelled to correct him.

Somers also said Icelanders.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
  #39
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
On the other hand, when Sommers introduced him as "GM of the New York Rangers", Maloney did feel compelled to correct him.
Maybe Maloney should have his job title changed to GM, and Sather should move up to 'Super-Genius' status. That's what he thinks of himself anyway.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:52 PM
  #40
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Somers also said Icelanders.
He's always called them that I believe

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
  #41
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
According to Maloney from that interview, "I think we may see some movement within the next 7-10 days". Anyone have any theories? I think this one may sting a bit.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:00 PM
  #42
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
I disagree that Renney's decisions are separate from the overall philosophy of the team. The coach, assistant GM, figurehead GM, and anyone else with decision-making capabilities need to be together on this. If the coach isn't on the same page, he should be fired.

If Renney is separate everything Maloney said meant nothing, because it doesn't matter how many of the kids who are progressing so nicely are called up, it won't matter, because RENNEY WON'T PLAY THEM. Or won't play them as much as he plays Colton Orr.

And until the Rangers are ready to use them, they aren't ready to use them. I don't want to be told how well the kids are going to play someday, if everyone is doing their job players would already be graduating to the big team. They're not.

It's not like this regime just took over here, they've all been here a while, and still there is very little to show, either in victories or prospects, to validate any effectiveness whatsoever of this management team.
Obviously, as I mentioned in my previous post, they do agree on the overall philosphy of the organization....I also don't think that is the problem....What is separate is that ice time, merit benchings/promotions, line combinations and resulting chemistry are all Renney's doing..I don't think Maloney and Sather play a role other then accepting Renney's decision...If you want to blast them for that, I agree....

I'll admit that part of the overall problem has been the lack of 1-2 youngsters providing energy and young legs.....I think Management knew that but did what's best for the lomng term development of the kids ...ANd I agree in every instance except for the use of Pock..Now the kids are better, playing great hockey, and even more ready... And the Rangers need them..Some should play...

As far as validating, ..This year was never gonna be the year where the kids skated all over the ice.....The funny thing is that many Rangers fans just want the Rangers to play the kids and show patience, but that is exactly what they are doing--showing patience in their development, even if it meant maybe not doing the best thing for the NHL team.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:03 PM
  #43
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,044
vCash: 500
movement as in kids coming up for 2 games and being sent down.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:04 PM
  #44
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
According to Maloney from that interview, "I think we may see some movement within the next 7-10 days". Anyone have any theories? I think this one may sting a bit.
Here's my theory. One kid gets called up in 10 days, plays in two of the next five games, a grand total of 15 minutes of ice time, then gets sent back down.

Meanwhile, Jason Krog turns into a power play mainstay, Colton Orr gets moved up to the third line, and Brendan Shanahan plays 20 minutes a game until he breaks down.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:12 PM
  #45
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Obviously, as I mentioned in my previous post, they do agree on the overall philosphy of the organization....I also don't think that is the problem....What is separate is that ice time, merit benchings/promotions, line combinations and resulting chemistry are all Renney's doing..I don't think Maloney and Sather play a role other then accepting Renney's decision...If you want to blast them for that, I agree....

I'll admit that part of the overall problem has been the lack of 1-2 youngsters providing energy and young legs.....I think Management knew that but did what's best for the lomng term development of the kids ...ANd I agree in every instance except for the use of Pock..Now the kids are better, playing great hockey, and even more ready... And the Rangers need them..Some should play...

As far as validating, ..This year was never gonna be the year where the kids skated all over the ice.....The funny thing is that many Rangers fans just want the Rangers to play the kids and show patience, but that is exactly what they are doing--showing patience in their development, even if it meant maybe not doing the best thing for the NHL team.
I agree merit benchings, line combinations, chemistry, etc., are all Renney's doing...and he should be fired because the team is horrible in all those areas. But ice time has to somehow correspond with who is getting called up, they can't come up and then barely play because Renney trusts Hall more than he trusts a kid. Then why have kids at all? And if Renney is not going along with the program, then find someone who will.

I don't know about the kids are getting better and playing great hockey, until that happens here it's just part of the BS Sather is handing us through Maloney. They're not playing better until they're playing better. Here.

I'm willing to watch them play poorly before they play better. But until I see that, with the track record of this management team, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sather has been here six years, not six months, and has developed virtually nobody. And we're all supposed to believe help is just around the corner? Sound more like a management team covering their butt than a management team that knows what it's doing.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:14 PM
  #46
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
According to Maloney from that interview, "I think we may see some movement within the next 7-10 days". Anyone have any theories? I think this one may sting a bit.
He was referring to players promoted from HFD.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
  #47
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,346
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
According to Maloney from that interview, "I think we may see some movement within the next 7-10 days". Anyone have any theories? I think this one may sting a bit.
The Rangers are going to put Kasparaitis on waivers?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
  #48
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
... they can't come up and then barely play because Renney trusts Hall more than he trusts a kid. Then why have kids at all? And if Renney is not going along with the program, then find someone who will.

I don't know about the kids are getting better and playing great hockey, until that happens here it's just part of the BS Sather is handing us through Maloney. They're not playing better until they're playing better. Here.

I'm willing to watch them play poorly before they play better. But until I see that, with the track record of this management team, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sather has been here six years, not six months, and has developed virtually nobody. And we're all supposed to believe help is just around the corner? Sound more like a management team covering their butt than a management team that knows what it's doing.
You're right, there was no reason to have kids up during the first half of the season because 1) they were better off developing in Hartford and 2) Renny wasn't going to use them much...It seems like both have changed..

And If I belive your 2nd statement, hell, if it doesn't matter how they do in the AHL, we should just bring kids in from juniors let them play and see what happens...But seriously, one only has to watch a few Hartford games, look at how they have totally turned there season around, to see that these kids are playing good inidvidual and team hockey now...They have grown, gotten better, and taken the next step...Hopefuly, some will play and now we can see if they are as ready as everybody has been saying

And yes, Sather should be blasted for his first few years but ever since the fire sale the Rangers have been commited to rebuilding the orgnaization and with the success of a very young team in Hartford and some solid juniors. we are finally close to maybe reapingthe benfits ofthese kids...If they play them..Of course, they may all fall flat on their face which woild be an indictment of personnel evaluation and not the philosophy...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
  #49
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
Amazing how Maloney is always talking about relying on the young guys but the final product never shows it. ::sighs::: maybe THIS time his words will ring true and we'll see some pack boys come up to give this team a jolt..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
everything that's written, nor do I believe everything I hear. The proof's in the pudding.
Completely agree. He had me doing cartwheels this summer with his quotes. What happened to developing kids even if it means taking a step backwards? What happened to leaving spots open for kids? I'll gladly eat crow in this case, but I'll believe it when I see it.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
  #50
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
You're right, there was no reason to have kids up during the first half of the season because 1) they were better off developing in Hartford and 2) Renny wasn't going to use them much...It seems like both have changed..

And If I belive your 2nd statement, hell, if it doesn't matter how they do in the AHL, we should just bring kids in from juniors let them play and see what happens...But seriously, one only has to watch a few Hartford games, look at how they have totally turned there season around, to see that these kids are playing good inidvidual and team hockey now...They have grown, gotten better, and taken the next step...Hopefuly, some will play and now we can see if they are as ready as everybody has been saying

And yes, Sather should be blasted for his first few years but ever since the fire sale the Rangers have been commited to rebuilding the orgnaization and with the success of a very young team in Hartford and some solid juniors. we are finally close to maybe reapingthe benfits ofthese kids...If they play them..Of course, they may all fall flat on their face which woild be an indictment of personnel evaluation and not the philosophy...
Jeez, who'd a thunk that would come from you. And, as usual as of late, I agree with you 100%

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.