HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Maloney interview-WFAN

Old
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Completely agree. He had me doing cartwheels this summer with his quotes. What happened to developing kids even if it means taking a step backwards? What happened to leaving spots open for kids? I'll gladly eat crow in this case, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Well, the difference here (I hope?) is that we'll see if he was telling the truth or shoveling manure within a matter of days/weeks.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The team is structured in a way that the vets who log the most ice time have to get the job done. 8-10 young guys could come up right now and play, but the team only goes as far as Shanny and the top line will take it.
This is what I don't understand. If the kids can come up right now and play, that implies they are ready. If they are ready than why the hell are we suffering through Malik, Hossa, Hall and on another level Cullen and Betts playing the wrong role? They whole argument against bringing up a Baranka, Dawes or Immonen is that they aren't ready but here Maloney contradicts that. He is even going so far as to saying that their presense won't impact the team one way or the other... so as a rebuilding team doesn't logic dictate that you play youth over decomposing veterans?

Statements like this don't inspire faith, it pisses me off. I don't want to see Malik make blind passes and turnovers, I want to see Baranka do it and learn from it. Malik is beyond learning at this point. This is just more lip service.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
This is what I don't understand. If the kids can come up right now and play, that implies they are ready. If they are ready than why the hell are we suffering through Malik, Hossa, Hall and on another level Cullen and Betts playing the wrong role? They whole argument against bringing up a Baranka, Dawes or Immonen is that they aren't ready but here Maloney contradicts that. He is even going so far as to saying that their presense won't impact the team one way or the other... so as a rebuilding team doesn't logic dictate that you play youth over decomposing veterans?

Statements like this don't inspire faith, it pisses me off. I don't want to see Malik make blind passes and turnovers, I want to see Baranka do it and learn from it. Malik is beyond learning at this point. This is just more lip service.
Well, if you believe Maloney's comments in the interview, they WEREN'T ready at the beginning of the season in management's mind. The Pack's improvement over the year and particularly over the last month has really opened management's eyes and they think some of the guys in HFD are NOW ready to compete at the NHL level - and we'll see the first come up in the next week or so.

Management's actions to date are consistent with that approach - we'll see if it's actually TRUE soon enough.

Old
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Why didn't the kids play before? Yes, much of it was because most were not ready....Another part of it is, even if some were ready, Hartford was stil lthe best place for their development playing 15-20 mins a night in every type of circumstance..

What's different now? A combination of things...The kids have learned, jelled and gottne better...plus..The Rangers are also desperate and realize they have to do something..ANd before a trade, that means bringing up a kid or two....

ANd whoever saind this year's NHL squad was a rebuilding team? Really...They have been rebuilding the orgnaization from the bottom and taking their time with the kids..This year was never goingto be the time...Looking from how the kids are playing in Hartford, it should be a different story next year and maybe a hint of it from here on in

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Jeez, who'd a thunk that would come from you. And, as usual as of late, I agree with you 100%
yeah, I think i'm possessed or something...Need a dman excorcism so I can start reamingthe Rangers again and enjoy life...

Old
01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
DutchShamrock

Guys, I understand that part of it, but if he is going to say that way the team is structured 8-10 kids can play... well that isn't something that just happened overnight. And by that I mean that the team wasn't structured that way overnight. This team was built around Jagr, Shanny, Nylander and Straka. It's been obvious since day 1 that Hossa, Hall, Ward, Betts and Cullen are just fluff. But dispite that fact for half a season they have called up replacements at a minimum. They have gone out of their way to play kids at times (Orr, Ozolinsh). I won't argue that 10 kids have been ready this whole time, but at least a few have during a decent part of the first 41 games.

But fine, we'll say for arguments sake that suddenly the kids are ready. We'll see how it's lipservice when 1-2 kids get called up the rest of the season. The team is supposedly structured so that a whopping 8 kids can play right now, but as a rebuilding team they will fail to act on that. This team ain't winning a cup and it might not make the playoffs, so it's obvious in which direction we should go. And if your argument against that is that playing them now might hurt them, well then I guess the team isn't structured so that 8-10 kids can play now.

Old
01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Guys, I understand that part of it, but if he is going to say that way the team is structured 8-10 kids can play... well that isn't something that just happened overnight. And by that I mean that the team wasn't structured that way overnight. This team was built around Jagr, Shanny, Nylander and Straka. It's been obvious since day 1 that Hossa, Hall, Ward, Betts and Cullen are just fluff. But dispite that fact for half a season they have called up replacements at a minimum. They have gone out of their way to play kids at times (Orr, Ozolinsh). I won't argue that 10 kids have been ready this whole time, but at least a few have during a decent part of the first 41 games.

But fine, we'll say for arguments sake that suddenly the kids are ready. We'll see how it's lipservice when 1-2 kids get called up the rest of the season. The team is supposedly structured so that a whopping 8 kids can play right now, but as a rebuilding team they will fail to act on that. This team ain't winning a cup and it might not make the playoffs, so it's obvious in which direction we should go. And if your argument against that is that playing them now might hurt them, well then I guess the team isn't structured so that 8-10 kids can play now.
I guess what I'm saying is that even if a number of kids were NHL ready, the Rangers were not going to move them up becasue they though they could still benefit from being in Hartford even if it meant a lesser player (the fluff as you call it) might be in NY and also perhaps they wanted the kids to play as a group..

As for your 2nd paragraph, I waas getting the imporession that he meant that about 8 kids would be NHL players and could play, but not all right now and notthat the Rangers would do it now becasue, and I'm not tryingto be snide, but I think anybody is kidding themselves iif they don't think the Rangers will make a strong effort to make the POs and win around or two---remember who won it last year and how the 2nd place team was an 8th seed

Old
01-24-2007, 06:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I guess what I'm saying is that even if a number of kids were NHL ready, the Rangers were not going to move them up becasue they though they could still benefit from being in Hartford even if it meant a lesser player (the fluff as you call it) might be in NY and also perhaps they wanted the kids to play as a group..

As for your 2nd paragraph, I waas getting the imporession that he meant that about 8 kids would be NHL players and could play, but not all right now and notthat the Rangers would do it now becasue, and I'm not tryingto be snide, but I think anybody is kidding themselves iif they don't think the Rangers will make a strong effort to make the POs and win around or two---remember who won it last year and how the 2nd place team was an 8th seed
Exactly. Well put, Larry. No one should be under any illusions that the team will call up 8 guys at once this year.

All I can say is listen to the interview and see what you think. It makes sense... but we have to see if they follow through. I've just been reporting what I heard and what it means. It definitely sounds good. But I've been disappointed as many times as you guys have.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:04 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I love Somers.

Great interview.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

And yes, he said he's as ACTIVE as any GM in the league. Not works as hard as any GM in the league.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Last post on this from me, but it was hysterical how he cracked up about the Forsberg thing and said about as assuredly as you possibly could that they aren't dealing a guy like Staal for him. Haha.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't thinking 8 kids are ready now but I just don't buy the soundbites anymore. Because like you say, they are more committed to winning a playoff round at the expense of next year's success. That's not a comment on the first half, but a prediction about the 2nd.

Old
01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Pizza

This thread is absolutely hysterical. I'll say this, HF boards is an extremely good entertainment value.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:44 PM
islanderfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Did that actually come up? I mean, did someone really ask that question? Would a GM (or assistant GM or mouthpiece or whatever it is Maloney does) actually consider that trade?

If that trade was thought about for more than one second, Sather goes from being an idiot to a GM intentionally sabotaging the team. Treason comes to mind.
guys espn has no clue about hockey whatsoever...in fact if they say something about trades its more likely not to happen than actually coming to fruition...not to worry

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:27 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This thread is absolutely hysterical. I'll say this, HF boards is an extremely good entertainment value.
Let me clarify. This team is going nowhere this season. They have to at a minimum upgrade their 2nd line center and top pairing defensemen. That will cost a 1st round pick and at least 2 high level prospects. I just don't know if that steep cost is worth it just to win 1 playoff round which isn't even a guarentee. Last year's team played much better than this and they were swept. I would just be more comfortable with maintaining our prospect system and prepare this team for the future. If we can upgrade without parting with our high level youth, fine let's do it. With that being said, with the chances so remote of winning this season, why not take some looks at the farm team?

Old
01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Let me clarify. This team is going nowhere this season. They have to at a minimum upgrade their 2nd line center and top pairing defensemen. That will cost a 1st round pick and at least 2 high level prospects. I just don't know if that steep cost is worth it just to win 1 playoff round which isn't even a guarentee. Last year's team played much better than this and they were swept. I would just be more comfortable with maintaining our prospect system and prepare this team for the future. If we can upgrade without parting with our high level youth, fine let's do it. With that being said, with the chances so remote of winning this season, why not take some looks at the farm team?
I'm with you but would take it one step further,let's trade one or more veterans to accumulate more youth

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderfan11 View Post
guys espn has no clue about hockey whatsoever...in fact if they say something about trades its more likely not to happen than actually coming to fruition...not to worry
Well the article wasn't written by 'ESPN', it was written by John Buccigross, who does have a clue about hockey. Like with any writer you may agree or disagree with what he says, but you can't say he has no clue about hockey.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
dave4

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't thinking 8 kids are ready now but I just don't buy the soundbites anymore. Because like you say, they are more committed to winning a playoff round at the expense of next year's success. That's not a comment on the first half, but a prediction about the 2nd.
Exactly. And that's why everything Maloney said about the rebuild is a load of crap. The rebuild didn't start yesterday, the fire sale took place THREE YEARS AGO. And we STILL have nothing substantial to show from it.

Where is Josef Balej, the first player acquired in the fire sale, for Alexei Kovalev? Oh yeah, I forgot, he sucks...yet another bad decision by the Edmonton Genius.

Where is even ONE skater that has come up so far to help us? Last year you could have said Prucha. Now you can't even say him.

Old
01-25-2007, 10:14 AM
dave4

Quote:

They may have eight kids who will eventually play in the NHL, but Staal is the only prospect that has a good chance to have a major impact. Take this website for what it's worth, but our prospects aren't even ranked in the top ten in the league. Add in the fact that most of our best players have their best years behind them, and I don't see what Maloney's optimism is all about.

Old
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
They may have eight kids who will eventually play in the NHL, but Staal is the only prospect that has a good chance to have a major impact. Take this website for what it's worth, but our prospects aren't even ranked in the top ten in the league. Add in the fact that most of our best players have their best years behind them, and I don't see what Maloney's optimism is all about.
And Lundqvist weren't even ranked in the top 50 among prospects...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
snowcloud

Quote:
I agree merit benchings, line combinations, chemistry, etc., are all Renney's doing...and he should be fired because the team is horrible in all those areas. But ice time has to somehow correspond with who is getting called up, they can't come up and then barely play because Renney trusts Hall more than he trusts a kid. Then why have kids at all? And if Renney is not going along with the program, then find someone who will.

I don't know about the kids are getting better and playing great hockey, until that happens here it's just part of the BS Sather is handing us through Maloney. They're not playing better until they're playing better. Here.

I'm willing to watch them play poorly before they play better. But until I see that, with the track record of this management team, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sather has been here six years, not six months, and has developed virtually nobody. And we're all supposed to believe help is just around the corner? Sound more like a management team covering their butt than a management team that knows what it's doing.
Good post, Dave. I agree 100%!

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:03 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Well the article wasn't written by 'ESPN', it was written by John Buccigross, who does have a clue about hockey. Like with any writer you may agree or disagree with what he says, but you can't say he has no clue about hockey.
No, he really has no clue. He hates the Rangers and will bash them in many different ways repeatedly until he dies.

Old
01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
No, he really has no clue. He hates the Rangers and will bash them in many different ways repeatedly until he dies.
Well whatever, that's your opinion. I love the Rangers but I believe right now they've earned even more bashing than they've been getting.

Old
01-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Thank You!

What I heard yesterday from Maloney was that basically the Rangers will not sacrifice a minimum short term gain (winning a playoff round or two) for young talent like Prucha. There would have to be a very good chance for substantial long term gain. Malone and Orpick fall far short of that IMO. In my mind this means they are prepared to take a step back(miss the playoffs)in order not to give up young talent.

Let's see what does or does not happen next.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Haven't heard the interview yet. Did he mention where the 'build from within' part comes to play here? Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing a lot of that right now. Too much of our potential 'within' can't see the ice because they have people like Hall, Cullen, Roszival, Malik, Hossa, etc. in front of them.

When do we actually START building from within, and creating a mandate we can hopefully someday stick to?
The players you mention are not building blocks, they are stop gap until the real thing is ready. Tell me you do not actually think those players in your post are long term solutions.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote