HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Suppose we're sellers at the deadline...

Old
01-24-2007, 02:56 PM
kashirat

vCash: 500
Suppose we're sellers at the deadline...

Would you consider dealing Roli to the Sens for Emery? or for a Defenceman? The Sens need a solid goalie with playoff experience, and may see Roloson's performance last year as exactly what they need to put them over the top.

What do you suppose we could get for Roli? Redden? Emery+?
***** Please note, I'm not trying to proposal here (I'm terrible at trying to find equal value), just trying to see what Roli could fetch us from Ottawa at the trade deadline.

Last edited by kashirat: 01-24-2007 at 03:53 PM.
kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashirat View Post
Would you consider dealing Roli to the Sens for Emery? or for a Defenceman? The Sens need a solid goalie with playoff experience, and may see Roloson's performance last year as exactly what they need to put them over the top.

What do you suppose we could get for Roli? Redden? Emery+?
Roloson to the Sens for Emery? I'd do that deal in 1/16th of a heartbeat. Problem is, I don't think there's any way that the Sens touch Rolo with a ten-thousand foot pole.

Hell, I'd do Rolo for Gerber+Corvo at this point.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:04 PM
razman22

And why would Ottawa want a 37 year old career back up with an inflated salary with two years left on it?

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Roloson to the Sens for Emery? I'd do that deal in 1/16th of a heartbeat. Problem is, I don't think there's any way that the Sens touch Rolo with a ten-thousand foot pole.

Hell, I'd do Rolo for Gerber+Corvo at this point.
GERBER?!

give your head a shake buddy... Roli (note the 'i' not the 'o', he's not a chocolate with caramel in the middle) has been, with the exception of about one mediocre stretch, pretty solid. The only times we've been winning, it's been on his back...

Sure he could have been more consistant this year, but you're going to Gerber to replace him?!

01-24-2007, 03:15 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
GERBER?!

give your head a shake buddy... Roli (note the 'i' not the 'o', he's not a chocolate with caramel in the middle) has been, with the exception of about one mediocre stretch, pretty solid. The only times we've been winning, it's been on his back...

Sure he could have been more consistant this year, but you're going to Gerber to replace him?!
The Rolo (I still call him that, as in short for Roloson, but I'm likely incorrect, but I'm also stubborn) for Gerber + Corvo idea is mostly borne out of a severe frustration watching team management do absolutely nothing to help the team out of it's current mediocrity. A "change for the sake of change" kind of deal.

If Rolo for Gerber had been offered up a year ago it would have looked incredible on paper. Gerbers' play this year, unfortunately, hasn't been exactly what the Sens thought it would be.

At 32, I think Gerber could still make a decent NHL backup.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:15 PM
jadeddog

id trade roli for emery straight up (of course).... but why would ottawa make such a one sided trade? no chance of this happening at all

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Roloson for Redden? AHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

What is with these proposals?

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:27 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
At 32, I think Gerber could still make a decent NHL backup.
So who would be our starter then? Gerber is paid starter money... and he's nothing like a Starter.

thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
vb

IMHO Ottawa does not have playoff goaltending. Roli is a proven playoff performer and when he is playing well he is top 5 in the league.

If we are sellers, I would package Roli for Gerber+something significant. Then we have to hope that Gerber can regain his confidence, which I'm not sure is a good gamble to make.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:52 PM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
And why would Ottawa want a 37 year old career back up with an inflated salary with two years left on it?
I can honestly see a good playoff team with questions in the crease trading for Roli, with his playoff success with us and the Wild. We'd have to be taking a significant or questionable contract coming back the other way as well. Which is why Gerber+Corvo and a pick for say Roli and something else makes sence. Both Gerber and Corvo have questionable contracts as well. Though I'd love Roli+pick for Emery

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:53 PM
kashirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
IMHO Ottawa does not have playoff goaltending. Roli is a proven playoff performer and when he is playing well he is top 5 in the league.

If we are sellers, I would package Roli for Gerber+something significant. Then we have to hope that Gerber can regain his confidence, which I'm not sure is a good gamble to make.
I probably should have included something like this in the OP. But this is my point, he played extremely solid throughout the playoffs last year, and with a solid defence in front of him in Ottawa would make him as solid as he looked last year in the playoffs.

In 08/09 the Sens are going to be hard up with Heatly going UFA, Spezza RFA, Redden UFA, Meszaros RFA. If they want to win it all, they need to do it this year or the next.

kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:56 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Why in god's name would Ottawa be interested in having two goalies that make $7M when they have cap issues?

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
R-MAN83

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
Don't they already have Gerber? Oh i think your dissing Roloson?

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
grego

I wouldn't trade Roloson he has been our most consitent member of the defense.

If the Oilers played even average d in front of him we would be singing praises to Roloson.

I expect to get a few more good years out of the guy and he is a cheap starter for one that can be amazing on any given night.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Why in god's name would Ottawa be interested in having two goalies that make $7M when they have cap issues?
Exactly... It looks to me like we're stuck with Roloson for a while anyways. Not many teams are going to want that contract, especially when your asking for one of the best young goalies in the league in return . IMO, Roli leaves only if we get a similar priced goalie in return (Gerber as an example) or later on in his contract (last year or two) too a team with cap space. The Sens will not go into the playoffs with both Gerber and Roloson locked up to lengthy, overpriced deals.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:38 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Roloson is signed for a long time, and he's the best goalie we've had in a very long time. I wouldn't be so quick to let him go. I personally don't think Emery is any better a goalie than Roloson is, and there's no guarantee he would even be here beyond the time we have Roli locked up for now.

Outside of salary, I can't really see any reason to trade Roloson for Emery.

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
JonQuixote

If it wasn't for Roli this team would be feeding at the very bottom of the league. Other than Smyth, he's been the Oiler's MVP and has proven between last playoff and this year that he's a bona fide starter in this league.

I can't believe the criticism I'm hearing of this guy on these boards. For almost the entire season, the Oilers have played like crap in their own end. Giveaways in the neutral zone, bad first passes, running around and letting opponents loose in the slot. If it wasn't for Roli's miracle work in the first quarter of the season, this team would be out of contention already. Bear in mind that we're still the #2 PK in the league - we lost one of the best checking centres in the game to Free Agency, our top defensive forward to injury, the best defenseman in the game to undisclosed personal reasons, and our second best defenseman and captain to what appears to be senility...and our PK has improved to where it's a contender for the best in the league! Why? Among the reasons is an actual, honest to goodness, bona fide NHL goaltender between the pipes.

He might need a bit more time off than he's getting, and could sure use some more defensive support, but on the list of what's wrong with this team, Roli is at the very bottom (under "Things that are right").

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
If it wasn't for Roli this team would be feeding at the very bottom of the league. Other than Smyth, he's been the Oiler's MVP and has proven between last playoff and this year that he's a bona fide starter in this league.

I can't believe the criticism I'm hearing of this guy on these boards. For almost the entire season, the Oilers have played like crap in their own end. Giveaways in the neutral zone, bad first passes, running around and letting opponents loose in the slot. If it wasn't for Roli's miracle work in the first quarter of the season, this team would be out of contention already. Bear in mind that we're still the #2 PK in the league - we lost one of the best checking centres in the game to Free Agency, our top defensive forward to injury, the best defenseman in the game to undisclosed personal reasons, and our second best defenseman and captain to what appears to be senility...and our PK has improved to where it's a contender for the best in the league! Why? Among the reasons is an actual, honest to goodness, bona fide NHL goaltender between the pipes.

He might need a bit more time off than he's getting, and could sure use some more defensive support, but on the list of what's wrong with this team, Roli is at the very bottom (under "Things that are right").

I agree 100%. I'm not sure what people expect of him around here. He is not, and to my knowledge ever been marketed as an elite netminder. He is not Kipper, Luongo, or Brodeur, and anyone who is expecting that kind of performance out of him is dreaming in technicolor. Roli is a solid, above-average starter that can show the occasional flash of brilliance, that's it. He is simply what we were crying out for all season long last year - a decent goaltender.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote