HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Suppose we're sellers at the deadline...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2007, 02:56 PM
  #1
kashirat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Suppose we're sellers at the deadline...

Would you consider dealing Roli to the Sens for Emery? or for a Defenceman? The Sens need a solid goalie with playoff experience, and may see Roloson's performance last year as exactly what they need to put them over the top.

What do you suppose we could get for Roli? Redden? Emery+?
***** Please note, I'm not trying to proposal here (I'm terrible at trying to find equal value), just trying to see what Roli could fetch us from Ottawa at the trade deadline.


Last edited by kashirat: 01-24-2007 at 03:53 PM.
kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
  #2
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashirat View Post
Would you consider dealing Roli to the Sens for Emery? or for a Defenceman? The Sens need a solid goalie with playoff experience, and may see Roloson's performance last year as exactly what they need to put them over the top.

What do you suppose we could get for Roli? Redden? Emery+?
Roloson to the Sens for Emery? I'd do that deal in 1/16th of a heartbeat. Problem is, I don't think there's any way that the Sens touch Rolo with a ten-thousand foot pole.

Hell, I'd do Rolo for Gerber+Corvo at this point.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:04 PM
  #3
razman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
And why would Ottawa want a 37 year old career back up with an inflated salary with two years left on it?

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:10 PM
  #4
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Roloson to the Sens for Emery? I'd do that deal in 1/16th of a heartbeat. Problem is, I don't think there's any way that the Sens touch Rolo with a ten-thousand foot pole.

Hell, I'd do Rolo for Gerber+Corvo at this point.
GERBER?!

give your head a shake buddy... Roli (note the 'i' not the 'o', he's not a chocolate with caramel in the middle) has been, with the exception of about one mediocre stretch, pretty solid. The only times we've been winning, it's been on his back...


Sure he could have been more consistant this year, but you're going to Gerber to replace him?!

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:15 PM
  #5
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
GERBER?!

give your head a shake buddy... Roli (note the 'i' not the 'o', he's not a chocolate with caramel in the middle) has been, with the exception of about one mediocre stretch, pretty solid. The only times we've been winning, it's been on his back...


Sure he could have been more consistant this year, but you're going to Gerber to replace him?!
The Rolo (I still call him that, as in short for Roloson, but I'm likely incorrect, but I'm also stubborn) for Gerber + Corvo idea is mostly borne out of a severe frustration watching team management do absolutely nothing to help the team out of it's current mediocrity. A "change for the sake of change" kind of deal.

If Rolo for Gerber had been offered up a year ago it would have looked incredible on paper. Gerbers' play this year, unfortunately, hasn't been exactly what the Sens thought it would be.

At 32, I think Gerber could still make a decent NHL backup.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:15 PM
  #6
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
id trade roli for emery straight up (of course).... but why would ottawa make such a one sided trade? no chance of this happening at all

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
  #7
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,391
vCash: 500
Roloson for Redden? AHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

What is with these proposals?

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:27 PM
  #8
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
At 32, I think Gerber could still make a decent NHL backup.
So who would be our starter then? Gerber is paid starter money... and he's nothing like a Starter.

thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
  #9
vb
Registered User
 
vb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
IMHO Ottawa does not have playoff goaltending. Roli is a proven playoff performer and when he is playing well he is top 5 in the league.

If we are sellers, I would package Roli for Gerber+something significant. Then we have to hope that Gerber can regain his confidence, which I'm not sure is a good gamble to make.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:52 PM
  #10
jlockhart89
Registered User
 
jlockhart89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Humboldt, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
And why would Ottawa want a 37 year old career back up with an inflated salary with two years left on it?
I can honestly see a good playoff team with questions in the crease trading for Roli, with his playoff success with us and the Wild. We'd have to be taking a significant or questionable contract coming back the other way as well. Which is why Gerber+Corvo and a pick for say Roli and something else makes sence. Both Gerber and Corvo have questionable contracts as well. Though I'd love Roli+pick for Emery

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:53 PM
  #11
kashirat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
IMHO Ottawa does not have playoff goaltending. Roli is a proven playoff performer and when he is playing well he is top 5 in the league.

If we are sellers, I would package Roli for Gerber+something significant. Then we have to hope that Gerber can regain his confidence, which I'm not sure is a good gamble to make.
I probably should have included something like this in the OP. But this is my point, he played extremely solid throughout the playoffs last year, and with a solid defence in front of him in Ottawa would make him as solid as he looked last year in the playoffs.

In 08/09 the Sens are going to be hard up with Heatly going UFA, Spezza RFA, Redden UFA, Meszaros RFA. If they want to win it all, they need to do it this year or the next.

kashirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 03:56 PM
  #12
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Why in god's name would Ottawa be interested in having two goalies that make $7M when they have cap issues?

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
  #13
R-MAN83
Registered User
 
R-MAN83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hinton.AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
And why would Ottawa want a 37 year old career back up with an inflated salary with two years left on it?
Don't they already have Gerber? Oh i think your dissing Roloson?

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
  #14
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade Roloson he has been our most consitent member of the defense.

If the Oilers played even average d in front of him we would be singing praises to Roloson.

I expect to get a few more good years out of the guy and he is a cheap starter for one that can be amazing on any given night.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
  #15
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Why in god's name would Ottawa be interested in having two goalies that make $7M when they have cap issues?
Exactly... It looks to me like we're stuck with Roloson for a while anyways. Not many teams are going to want that contract, especially when your asking for one of the best young goalies in the league in return . IMO, Roli leaves only if we get a similar priced goalie in return (Gerber as an example) or later on in his contract (last year or two) too a team with cap space. The Sens will not go into the playoffs with both Gerber and Roloson locked up to lengthy, overpriced deals.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:38 PM
  #16
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
Roloson is signed for a long time, and he's the best goalie we've had in a very long time. I wouldn't be so quick to let him go. I personally don't think Emery is any better a goalie than Roloson is, and there's no guarantee he would even be here beyond the time we have Roli locked up for now.

Outside of salary, I can't really see any reason to trade Roloson for Emery.

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
  #17
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,188
vCash: 500
If it wasn't for Roli this team would be feeding at the very bottom of the league. Other than Smyth, he's been the Oiler's MVP and has proven between last playoff and this year that he's a bona fide starter in this league.

I can't believe the criticism I'm hearing of this guy on these boards. For almost the entire season, the Oilers have played like crap in their own end. Giveaways in the neutral zone, bad first passes, running around and letting opponents loose in the slot. If it wasn't for Roli's miracle work in the first quarter of the season, this team would be out of contention already. Bear in mind that we're still the #2 PK in the league - we lost one of the best checking centres in the game to Free Agency, our top defensive forward to injury, the best defenseman in the game to undisclosed personal reasons, and our second best defenseman and captain to what appears to be senility...and our PK has improved to where it's a contender for the best in the league! Why? Among the reasons is an actual, honest to goodness, bona fide NHL goaltender between the pipes.

He might need a bit more time off than he's getting, and could sure use some more defensive support, but on the list of what's wrong with this team, Roli is at the very bottom (under "Things that are right").

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
  #18
rec28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
If it wasn't for Roli this team would be feeding at the very bottom of the league. Other than Smyth, he's been the Oiler's MVP and has proven between last playoff and this year that he's a bona fide starter in this league.

I can't believe the criticism I'm hearing of this guy on these boards. For almost the entire season, the Oilers have played like crap in their own end. Giveaways in the neutral zone, bad first passes, running around and letting opponents loose in the slot. If it wasn't for Roli's miracle work in the first quarter of the season, this team would be out of contention already. Bear in mind that we're still the #2 PK in the league - we lost one of the best checking centres in the game to Free Agency, our top defensive forward to injury, the best defenseman in the game to undisclosed personal reasons, and our second best defenseman and captain to what appears to be senility...and our PK has improved to where it's a contender for the best in the league! Why? Among the reasons is an actual, honest to goodness, bona fide NHL goaltender between the pipes.

He might need a bit more time off than he's getting, and could sure use some more defensive support, but on the list of what's wrong with this team, Roli is at the very bottom (under "Things that are right").

I agree 100%. I'm not sure what people expect of him around here. He is not, and to my knowledge ever been marketed as an elite netminder. He is not Kipper, Luongo, or Brodeur, and anyone who is expecting that kind of performance out of him is dreaming in technicolor. Roli is a solid, above-average starter that can show the occasional flash of brilliance, that's it. He is simply what we were crying out for all season long last year - a decent goaltender.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.