HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 43: Minnesota Wild@ Phoenix Coyotes | 1/9/14 7:00 p.m. | FSA

Old
01-10-2014, 11:03 PM
ScottsdaleYote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I was being a smartass. I wasn't defending Smith in any way. We do need to start Greiss.
So was I

ScottsdaleYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:49 AM
MIG
Undocumented User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Last night, all 3 goals could have been stopped.
Say what! Did we watch the same game? 1st goal was all on Yandle; first the horrendous giveaway up the middle, then he stands in front of Smith like a statue providing a screen. I don't think Smith had a very good look, plus the shot was very close in.

Third goal was a result of the hockey gods frowning down on the Yotes. No way it's Smith's fault, he was doing exactly what he should have in that situation.

2nd goal I'll say was one "he would like to have back", but it was Yandle who steps up, swats at and misses the puck, freeing Brodziak on a breakaway.

Smith could be better, but let's not place blame where it doesn't belong. If anything, more blame should be heaped on Yandle than Smith for this loss, but I don't necessarily endorse that either. The team generated a lot of good scoring chances, could have been better defensively, and fell victim to some bad bounces.

Last edited by MIG: 01-11-2014 at 08:58 AM.
MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:26 AM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

I know it is beyond unlikely, but man do I hope Smith is in net for Canada for a few games. He's going to get lit up like a Christmas tree.

BeSeeingYouSeattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
Say what! Did we watch the same game? 1st goal was all on Yandle; first the horrendous giveaway up the middle, then he stands in front of Smith like a statue providing a screen. I don't think Smith had a very good look, plus the shot was very close in.

Third goal was a result of the hockey gods frowning down on the Yotes. No way it's Smith's fault, he was doing exactly what he should have in that situation.

2nd goal I'll say was one "he would like to have back", but it was Yandle who steps up, swats at and misses the puck, freeing Brodziak on a breakaway.

Smith could be better, but let's not place blame where it doesn't belong. If anything, more blame should be heaped on Yandle than Smith for this loss, but I don't necessarily endorse that either. The team generated a lot of good scoring chances, could have been better defensively, and fell victim to some bad bounces.
Third goal yes no chance for Smith, the other 2, he has to stop. This has been the problem most of the year, Smith gets some slack for opportunities as a result of D breakdown. Your observations are not inaccurate in regards to Yandle, but Smith bails us out 1 out of 3 times these days instead of 2 out of 3 times, and that is the problem. In my opinion we don't have any more break downs this year then the last 2, Smith just has not made the big saves like in years past, ever. Smith needs a shut out or a game where he has outplayed the other Goalie, both of which are happening 20% of the time maybe in the last 15 games. If you take goalies out of the equation, we are out playing or equal to our opponent 50% or more of the time.

Our D play has not been horrible, and against Mini, 2 bad plays wound up in our net. Not many other bad plays that I can recall. At the end of the day Smith has to be better to play starters minutes and he has to be way better for us to go anywhere in the playoffs. His upside, when he is on, is way higher then Greiss. I will bet we see Greiss next game maybe more if he plays well..

cobra427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique View Post
I know it is beyond unlikely, but man do I hope Smith is in net for Canada for a few games. He's going to get lit up like a Christmas tree.
Man I'm feeling bad for Smitty now lol.

let's cheer him up. Hey Smitty, this song is for you baby!

LET'S GO YOTES!!

(But Tip, if you want to start TG tonight, I'm good with that. Let Smitty listen to this song for a couple days and reignite that fire...)

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:01 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Good Fan/Bad Fan

vCash: 50
From Sarah:

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 30m

Greiss was told yesterday he'd be starting today.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:06 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
From Sarah:

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 30m

Greiss was told yesterday he'd be starting today.

BeSeeingYouSeattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
A pure system goalie should not be making what he is making.
What I mean regarding system is that all goalies have to fit in some system - Smith clearly has fit best, even as the system and players within adjust and change. Right now, we are not taking advantage of clearing offensive opportunities, which are just as much to do with breakdowns that Smith has. Plain and simple, something within he system is not helping play to Smith's strengths and the number of quality shots hurts his play in our system.

Maybe that was a better method to stating how goalies fill their role...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Viskeywrobr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique View Post
Let's do it!

Viskeywrobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Tompa8989*

And David Rundblad is scratched again...You have to wonder what Phoenix said to him to make him sign a 1-way 2 year contract...

Tompa8989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:31 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa8989 View Post
And David Rundblad is scratched again...You have to wonder what Phoenix said to him to make him sign a 1-way 2 year contract...
Probably as simple as promising to keep him on the active roster getting paid his NHL rate. He would probably go back to Sweden if sent down before the season started or at any point, really. Make more money and be in a better situation. Instead he gets his NHL paycheck and a chance at proving himself, although that's hard when the coach doesn't like you.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote