HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Time: Let the fun begin

Old
01-23-2007, 03:39 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Trade Time: Let the fun begin

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/535075.html

looks as though the canes are rumored to maybe moving a d or two after everyone is back. we've all wondered and heard such speculation to this point, but when luke starts writing that jr is getting calls then he is definitely taking calls and feeling it out.

what do you guys think?

after watching buffalo last year i kind of think having ten d isnt really too many for a cup run. im not convinced the d we would like to move would get us a forward of the ilk we need. with the older guys near the moving on point, i just cant see us getting rid of babs, seids, or gleason. commodore doesnt seem to be going anywhere and kaberle is been thrown on a pedestal for last year. to me that leaves tanabe, hutch and wallin as the likely candidates. tanabe has played his way into maybe some value. either way, the only guys who may get us a good forward are babs, gleason, or commodore. if this is the case i dont see us getting a forward unless jr starts getting crazy in his attempt to repeat.

if we're desperate for forwards, i would also hope that takes ladd off the list of trading assets. even if he only plays a fourth line role he is giving us the supposed depth we are looking for.

my early thoughts on forward candidates.

samsonov - jr has been long rumored to be interested. i dont think he is worth the cash right now, i hope jr is no longer as interested. he could maybe provide some more whitney like offense. he could probably help us ion shootouts.
marco sturm - a solid addition, would fit in well with our speed - and a pure rental as he is a ufa. i would like this if it isnt an expensive acquisition.

modin/carter - i wouldnt mind modin, another strong forward who shoots well wouldnt go amiss on our team. i think carter is overated.

our big problem offensively is center, imo. belanger isnt a dangerous like cullen - so i wouldnt be surprised to see another true center. all i can think of for that would be jason allison. i wouldnt be surprised to see jr go that route, as it would only cost cash not players. im only against it because allison will likely pull a groin a week in and be done for the season.

dark horse for center. craig conroy. a very weight like pickup.

i still think if jr can pull off getting mara or stuart from boston he would, regardless of all the d we've got.

i dont think we will stand pat - but i wouldnt be shocked to see us do far less than last year.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
A 2nd and Risto Korhonen for Craig Conroy.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
bleedgreen

im sure korhonen can be had, we dont really care much for our euro prospects (i dont know why we even draft them - id love to see this kid). guess it depends what everyone else is offering for conroy, i bet not that much right now. come deadline, i bet the price goes up quite a bit. i assume thats why he hasnt been moved already.

Old
01-23-2007, 04:03 PM
semin4captain

Someone on the CH.com boards claims to have an "inside source" that told them we will be trading Ladd + a defenseman for Matt Cullen.

What's even funnier is that JR is probably stupid enough to do something like that. I'm halfway expecting to get completely fleeced at the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
It would have to be a 2nd in 08. San Jose has our 2nd this year (via Pittsburgh).

Last edited by semin4captain: 01-23-2007 at 04:19 PM.
semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'm about as high on Risto as you can get for a Canes fan but I would take that deal without thinking twice. As Khaz said though it would have to be our 08 pick.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahz View Post
Some on the CH.com boards claims to have an "inside source" that told them we will be trading Ladd + a defenseman for Matt Cullen.

What's even funnier is that JR is probably stupid enough to do something like that. I'm halfway expecting to get completely fleeced at the deadline.

It would have to be a 2nd in 08. San Jose has our 2nd this year (via Pittsburgh).
i know your pain. this is my least favorite time of year (as a canes fan, otherwise i love it the most) now that we are more competitive team. jr has shown a knack for giving you whatever you want as long as he gets the one guy he was looking for. if we cough up ladd for an old rental, it will mean that this franchise sucked for a whole year and all we have to show for it is a playoff run with samsonov...or the like.

Old
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Some on the CH.com boards claims to have an "inside source" that told them we will be trading Ladd + a defenseman for Matt Cullen.

There's a reason I avoid CH.com like the frigin plague. There are some quality posters there but stuff like this REALLY turns me off on visiting the site.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
bleedgreen

you guys realize conroy has like less than 20 pts in 50 games, right? i wouldnt be giving up a second rounder for him right now. im sure his numbers are partially affected by la's season - but kopitar has basically doubled him up right now. he shouldnt be doing that bad. -13 as well.

i just checked, i had no idea he was doing that bad. im not sure i would pay much for him at all, maybe just korhonen....if were never gonna see him anyway.

Old
01-23-2007, 04:27 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i know your pain. this is my least favorite time of year (as a canes fan, otherwise i love it the most) now that we are more competitive team. jr has shown a knack for giving you whatever you want as long as he gets the one guy he was looking for. if we cough up ladd for an old rental, it will mean that this franchise sucked for a whole year and all we have to show for it is a playoff run with samsonov...or the like.
I would not be at all surprised if Ladd was traded.

Ladd being moved to the top line the last game before the All-Star break is very suspicious, especially considering that Laviolette has refused to give him more him more than 5-6 minutes a game or anything resembling quality linemates almost the entire season.

Last year Nordgren was called up and given a "second chance" by being put on the Whitney-Weight line. A few days later he was gone to Pittsburgh.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:29 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:

Ladd being moved to the top line the last game before the All-Star break is very suspicious, especially considering that Laviolette has refused to give him more him more than 5-6 minutes a game or anything resembling quality linemates almost the entire season.

Last year Nordgren was called up and given a "second chance" by being put on the Whitney-Weight line. A few days later he was gone to Pittsburgh.
point made and well taken. ive kinda felt all year that ladd was the one piece jr would dangle when he got desperate. im gonna be ticked if/when it happens.

Old
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
sk84fun_dc

not trying to disrupt your discussions, but stopping by as I am interested and reading the trade talk on different boards

From all reports I have seen, Conroy has a year left on his current contract so not quite comparable to Weight and his situation last season. It wouldn't surprise me to see LA move him, just think the extra year with the over 2M cap hit has to be factored into the discussion.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
not trying to disrupt your discussions, but stopping by as I am interested and reading the trade talk on different boards

From all reports I have seen, Conroy has a year left on his current contract so not quite comparable to Weight and his situation last season. It wouldn't surprise me to see LA move him, just think the extra year with the over 2M cap hit has to be factored into the discussion.
thanks, i thought he was up this year.

i flat out dont want him now. not unless we send something back that costs that much that i really dont want. nothing comes to mind. id rather just sign allison if we think we need a center.

Old
01-23-2007, 06:25 PM
mcphee

Don't forget with Conroy, you're on the hook next year too. He's barely positive value because of his contract. That changes every day closer to the deadline, but if you believe McGuire, a few teams have turned down deals for him, too much salary to take on.

Conroy as an impending ufa would have fit Mtl too.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 06:26 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

Guess I should've read your post before repeating what you said.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Samsonov is too expensive. Conroy is too expensive for what he brings. JR has a man crush on Anson Carter for some reason, so there is that.

Doug Weight probably would like to come back to take another shot. Jason Allison is far too slow to contribute to this offense aside from the powerplay, where he would be a god send, however he's still asking for far too much cash for far too little return. He thinks he deserves $3 million a year for playing one half of the ice.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:

If they trade ladd I will denounce the team. That would be ridiculous. Maybe they just put ladd on a line with some guys who might actually be capable of playing offense instead of playing him for 4 minutes with Kevyn Adams and Chad Larose. The guy has some potential, it is about time he got a chance to show it, and 4 minutes a game is not going to get it done. Leave the lines the way they were the last game, and just find someone who can play a LITTLE DEFENSE!!!!!

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
bleedgreen

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/535576.html

apparently luke read the thread and wanted to chime in unofficially

i should of thought of the blues. definitely tkachuk and guerin would be options. ive never liked keith. ive always loved guerin. i would bet tkachuk fills a better role but guerin would be a better all around influence.

i would put brewer in the stuart group of guys i think jr would acquire if he could, even with the flood of d we already have.

i think if edmonton really wants a guy we should make a bigger deal out of it and go for torres if he is really available. even maybe lupul.

luke agrees with me in that tanabe and hutch are the top guys likely to go - i would also think wallin is in there. spector talks of the forward trade being separate of the d move - that would make sense since likely neither of those guys will get us a really good forward...i would think.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 01-24-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old
01-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Also someone to keep in mind in a possible trade for a top 9 forward is dealing Hedican. From some people close to the mumbling, it is possible that he was told to have the surgery and get better, so he could possibly be dealt healthy. He has a huge contract though, so I dont know how dealable he is, and that is the question that I asked when this was brought to my attention. Either way, should be interesting to see what happens, because honestly, I would not be too unhappy with a top 6 D of:
Hedican-Commodore
Kaberle-Wallin
Gleason-Babchuk
7th Dman if you want-Wesley

I dont see any problem with that D corp going into the stretch run.

Just need to get the offense in some kind of order, and i think that the defenseman returning will help that, cause it will free up the forwards to focus on some scoring.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
neal12780

Send a message via AIM to neal12780
after reading the new and observer article, and watching the first period of the all star game......i wonder what it would take to get jason blake from the islanders. he has the speed to play with Cole, and the gritty penalty killing and never quit attitude that the Canes seem to like. i have no idea about his contract situation, and if the islanders would take a defensemen (hedican or kaberle, korhonen?, and a 2nd or 3 rd pick) for him. just an idea as i think he would fit in well on the wing with williams and brindamour or staal (his current linemates in the AS game). what do yall think??

neal12780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:23 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I say the chances of acquiring Jason Blake are 0%, sorry.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I hate to say it, but we may not be the destination we were last year for a Doug Weight kind of guy. Now maybe, if we light a fire in the few weeks after the break, that changes, but right now this is not top destination for a run at the Cup. It's going to take more to get the same in '07 as things stand.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
robotron2084

Related to a couple of previous posts...

Hedican has one year left on his contract for close to $2.5 million and has a no-trade clause. Wallin just signed a 4 year deal ($1.725 million per year) also with a no-trade clause. Jason Blake is a UFA after this season and Islander fans are talking about trading him for Andrew Ladd.

robotron2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:49 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotron2084 View Post
Related to a couple of previous posts...

Hedican has one year left on his contract for close to $2.5 million and has a no-trade clause. Wallin just signed a 4 year deal ($1.725 million per year) also with a no-trade clause. Jason Blake is a UFA after this season and Islander fans are talking about trading him for Andrew Ladd.
ladd for a rental and im throwing a 13 year old girl hissy fit.

Old
01-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
ladd for a rental and im throwing a 13 year old girl hissy fit.
Highly doubt that would be the way it goes down. Even Islanders fans said that save Nillson and Okposo they would be willing to throw back just about any of their prospects along with Blake for Ladd and perhaps a middle round pick.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:15 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
The Canes are not getting Blake. According to GM Garth Snow:

"Asked specifically about Blake's status, Snow said, "We absolutely want him back."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...slanders-print

beach is offline   Reply With Quote