HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HAbs win in overtime 2-1

Old
01-12-2014, 03:39 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Plus that sequence when Plekanec forced Chicago to kill off our PK. What a game...!
That was totally surreal. Pleks seemingly goes all out and then suddenly shows an extra gear. Guy is an alien.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:39 AM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
Montreal is fine playing Boston in a one game setting.

You play them in a best of seven series, and the Bruins will win it 8 times out of 10.

Habs just aren't big enough or tough enough to compete with the big teams in a best of seven series.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
According to the hfboards trade board, trade value for +35 aging, injury prone Markov is only worth a 2nd rounder + Good prospect.
Whatever you do, don't start a thread about this.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:42 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
This team does not do well against big teams. Period. Kings, Bruins, Blues, Flyers. Any team with some size has their way with us. We've got a team that competes on paper, but not in reality.
The Flyers never seem that big when they play. They just own us. And the Bruins lol, we win against them, and often....

Blues are the opposite of the Bruins to us. They are a complete matchup disadvantage for us and they destroy us every time.

Kings, well, we've beaten them before, but we caught them when Martin Jones and the entire team was flying high...

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:45 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
It's amazing what this team can do when it's skill vs skill. Too bad we don't always play teams that aren't bruisers. Great game on the whole, though the number of missed chances that made this game go to overtime were ridiculous.

Too bad not every team is smallish skilled teams, or else we'd be in the running for the cup.

Time to get some size in this lineup, because we don't have Chicagos skill level to be competitive while not having a big team.
Chicago has been mean in the past, we just don't meet them enough to experience it firsthand...unlike Vancouver, in which you can count on a Duncan Keith headshot or something...and the Vancouver fans don't mind booing injured Blackhawks...

Old
01-12-2014, 03:47 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Everyone has been hard on Parros, but he did a great job on the first goal.
And stepping toward Bollig as he was mouthing off to Emelin after one of his body crushes. Funny how Bollig's anger didn't show up afterwards.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Subban was given a job to play shut down role against Toews. He did pretty good overall.
Glad you brought that up. AC guys overlooked this completely, esp. idiot Gaston, who claimed that Subban wasn't as effective tonight. Subban can really do it all.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:52 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
About the Hawks. Would play a series against them anytime. Especially since it would be the finals and all :-p

Clean team. Great hockey.
Clean team my butt. It's this silly notion that somehow skilled people are nice that I laugh about every time. Brandon Bollig crunched Drew Doughty into the boards recently, and Mr. Duncan Keith has a suspension on his record for taking out another skilled player in Daniel Sedin. The Blackhawks can be a brutal team when they want to be, and and dish it out, even to Boston. When people thought the Blackhawks were trying to play the Bruins' game, they weren't. The Blackhawks are an alpha male team, they'll throw their weight around and they come out on top when they do it...

Old
01-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Are they that good against BOS? Never would have guessed.
That might be your issue right there.

Quote:
What's their record against St Louis and LA?
St. Louis, well only 2 games this year and none last season 0-1-1

Same with LA, only 1-1-0

So in a tiny sample size 1-2-1 against a pair of the league's best. Hardly surprising.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Watched the after-game interview with Toews. He didn't seem very happy with Seabrook.

I feel like it's a turning point in the season.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:12 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
That might be your issue right there.

St. Louis, well only 2 games this year and none last season 0-1-1

Same with LA, only 1-1-0

So in a tiny sample size 1-2-1 against a pair of the league's best. Hardly surprising.
Ok, so maybe I'm underselling this team. Still, it seems like every time they play against a team that has size on their side they don't have a response.

This habs teams is highly skilled but the lack of size in the top 9/ D corps leads to the team playing a game they are not comfortable with.

Or am I wrong?

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:20 AM
koots10

Glad we snuck out a win. But I'm worried about the team. Anyone else interested in trading for someone like Clarkson or Phaneuf off the Maple Laffs?

koots10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:22 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by koots10 View Post
Glad we snuck out a win. But I'm worried about the team. Anyone else interested in trading for someone like Clarkson or Phaneuf off the Maple Laffs?
Clarkson?

NO.

Worst contract in the league.

Phaneuf?

Maybe.

What are we giving up?

What this team needs is toughness in the top 6 or top D. Neither of those trades really address that. Better to hold the fort and hope the kids fill in the gaps.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:32 AM
PsychoticHab

vCash: 472
Quote:
Are they that good against BOS? Never would have guessed.

What's their record against St Louis and LA?
Against LA, in our last 8 games we are 7-1. The 6-0 beatdown is our only loss.

Against STL, in our last 8 games we are 2-6. (Wins coming in 07 and 08)

Edit: Obviously I had to go back a few years for these results but since some like to point to the last 20 years as failures, I guess I can go back 6 or so years then. Obviously they are the style of play that gives us the most trouble (recent history proves this). Goons for the sake of goons don't generally slow us down. (ex. Bruins style)

Last edited by PsychoticHab: 01-12-2014 at 04:45 AM.
PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by koots10 View Post
'Someone like' Clarkson or Phaneuff. How are they in anyway comparable? Completely different players playing completely different positions with completely different contracts.

Clarkson's contract is deservedly the laughing stock of the league. Phaneuf is fine, but he just signed a new contract and isn't getting traded to a divisional rival anytime soon.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Mr. Hab

Saturday night... going out after a Habs' game is always TEN TIMES better after a SUPER victory like that one

(thanks to Pleks...thank-you Price...thank-you post...thank-you Markov...just one thing about Markov...I hope he can one day do that - or close to it - during the playoffs...when it really counts!! or else...I will always think of him as a regular season star).

p.s.: kudos to Jagr, but to be honest...I'm a bit pissed off that Jagr passed Mario Lemieux in career NHL pts, but still...Mario (to me) is still the best forward in the history of NHL, imo.
(90s, early 21st century...Mario, Forsberg, Jagr, Yzerman, Messier, Gretzky for pts but was VERY VERY protected unlike Crosby...imo).

(Chi...healthy lineup.... our Habs were missing Galchenyuk and superstar Bouillon, and...we still won!!, but again...I won't brag too much since they hit the post thanks to Bickell in last few minutes and Toews came close to sealing the deal in the end with a gutsy move to the net, but...we won in the end thanks to the Pleks who started that whole attack/offensive danger-threat).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-12-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Tyson

It will be interesting next season what the D corps will look like....there are 3 in the A who will be knocking hard on the door.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 07:47 AM
BLONG7

Missed the game guys, we outshot the Champs 38-20 ? Crawford must have played well?
Can anyone give me a quick re-cap?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Missed the game guys, we outshot the Champs 38-20 ? Crawford must have played well?
Can anyone give me a quick re-cap?
Habs played an entire 60+ 2 minutes of great hockey.
They skated into the Chicago zone with puck possession, won most battles. Best Habs game of the year.
Crawford made the save of the year on Eller, a must see.
Not one Hab played badly.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:27 AM
otto bond

Nice game and fun to watch. More then a few players played there best game of the season, namely Prust.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
They dumped and chased three times in the first period and then... the madness stopped. It was so refreshing.

Parros casually skating up to Emelin and giving Bollig the ol' staredown.

Just an unreal game.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:54 AM
HabsQC

This was Stephane Waite's game

HabsQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:25 AM
rafal majka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
They dumped and chased three times in the first period and then... the madness stopped. It was so refreshing.

Just an unreal game.
It seems likes it been quite a while since I've seen the Habs skate like that as a team. Plekanec was (is) on another planet in terms of - everything.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Montreal is fine playing Boston in a one game setting.

You play them in a best of seven series, and the Bruins will win it 8 times out of 10.

Habs just aren't big enough or tough enough to compete with the big teams in a best of seven series.
Boston is nowhere near as good as you say they are. The year they won the cup, we brought them to 7 games and if anything, they were the lucky ones (won all 3 OTs). Three of their 4 series ended in 7 games. They aren't the same team but they didn't get significantly better. I think we are better though.

The blues and kings would really destroy us. And we could give Chicago a fight but probably would not beat them.

Boston ? I don't know why people glorify them so much. They are not that good.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Picaroon

Friggin TSN. The only time they show Subban in the highlights is when he turned the puck over...

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote