HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot is this year's obligatory enigma

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2013, 08:00 AM
  #151
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Pou has found a home in front of the net on the PP

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:09 PM
  #152
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 16,472
vCash: 500
Generally speaking, most people do better when they understand what their job is, sports or otherwise.

Pouliot has physical skills, but often they mean nothing. In the last while, I wonder if he discovered for himself how he can use that size and skill in front of the net, or did the coaching staff work with him. Either scenario would be encouraging, as it would mean that someone is thinking the game out a bit. Anyway, it's good to see a player being effective. With Pouliot's history, I now just hope he continues to fill this niche/need the team has for him. It should feel good to him to not be just moving around the ice for the sake of moving around around the ice.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:05 PM
  #153
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 500
Plus with all that new cap money coming in the next few years...a 20 goal season could fetch him an extra million per from some GM ...even Sather ! LOL...every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 07:48 PM
  #154
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,275
vCash: 420
0 points tonight. Why is he still on the roster?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 03:05 AM
  #155
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,805
vCash: 500
He and Brassard are very similar in the sense that you see flashes of the talent and edginess that made them high draft picks. But then, almost as quickly, they disappear.

Pouliot at this point in his career probably should've morphed himself into an Ethan Moreau kind of player, but for a variety of reasons it's just never quite happened. To me, that's where his future lies.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
  #156
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Funny that a lot of the praise for Benoit is his ability to chip in ES points, but he's scoring a lot on the PP for us. He's so damn good at the front of the net, it's refreshing with Cally injured.
What looks more the aberration, the 2 goals in 29 games or the 5 goals in 10? My math may be a bit off, but not by that much.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:00 PM
  #157
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
What looks more the aberration, the 2 goals in 29 games or the 5 goals in 10? My math may be a bit off, but not by that much.
They are equal aberrations (on pace for 6 goals is less than half his average, on pace for 41 goals is more than double his average) compared to his 291 games before this season... but that kind of thing happens when you are taking very small sample sizes and comparing them to large ones, doesn't it? 14 goals, which is his pace for 82 games, isn't that far off of his 17 per 82 pace over the rest of his career.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
  #158
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
but that kind of thing happens when you are taking very small sample sizes and comparing them to large ones, doesn't it?
MOre or less that is my point. And for his largely putrid play this year, the last 10 games seems like it stands out more.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:12 AM
  #159
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
After starting the season with 4 points in 27 games, he now has 12 in his past 17 with no multi-point games. A very heads up play on the assist tonight.

Way to bounce back Benoit (balls)!

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:09 AM
  #160
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
After starting the season with 4 points in 27 games, he now has 12 in his past 17 with no multi-point games. A very heads up play on the assist tonight.

Way to bounce back Benoit (balls)!
Benjaminoit.

Can anyone explain why his last name is pronounced Pu-lee-ot and not Pu-lee-o?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:43 AM
  #161
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
MOre or less that is my point. And for his largely putrid play this year, the last 10 games seems like it stands out more.
He's always been streaky. Atleast he finally showed up and it's been real important in balancing the lines . I remember when Pyatt was in the same boat . No comparison as poo still has some offence to his game

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:38 AM
  #162
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,885
vCash: 500
Poo is much more than this years' Pyatt.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:12 AM
  #163
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Benjaminoit.

Can anyone explain why his last name is pronounced Pu-lee-ot and not Pu-lee-o?
I assume it's actually Puye-oh, but English-speakers have decided that they prefer Pu-lee-ot because they don't know French pronunciation and Benoit has given up on correcting everyone and just rolls with it.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:17 AM
  #164
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
After starting the season with 4 points in 27 games, he now has 12 in his past 17 with no multi-point games. A very heads up play on the assist tonight.

Way to bounce back Benoit (balls)!
Back checking and taking the body, too

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:07 AM
  #165
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
He's always been streaky. Atleast he finally showed up and it's been real important in balancing the lines . I remember when Pyatt was in the same boat . No comparison as poo still has some offence to his game
He has finally shown up. And he has been contributing. I am just not holding my breath for him to continue this type of play over an entire season.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:32 AM
  #166
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
I assume it's actually Puye-oh, but English-speakers have decided that they prefer Pu-lee-ot because they don't know French pronunciation and Benoit has given up on correcting everyone and just rolls with it.
Doubt that sincerely. Sam Rosen and Mike Emrick wouldn't let that happen.

He's not from Quebec, although he's from pretty close to the Ontario-Quebec border. From searching around a little bit, this is apparently how he pronounces it. Also, Marc-Andre Pouliot apparently pronounces it the same way.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
  #167
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,568
vCash: 500
Poo and Brassard have both been very effective the last ten games. A big key to our recent success. They are getting/creating lots of chances and playing to strengths.

Zucc has really helped them.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:26 PM
  #168
nikonsniper*
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Poo and Brassard have both been very effective the last ten games. A big key to our recent success. They are getting/creating lots of chances and playing to strengths.

Zucc has really helped them.
Zucc helps everyone.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
  #169
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonsniper View Post
Zucc helps everyone.
Very true. It's why he's my pick for MVP right now. Imo, Zucc just helps these two (or anyone) understand what's possible.

But both Brass & Poo have been doing the right things. They are putting themselves in positions to make good plays. Doing the most with what they have, where they are.

Poo has converted on very nice passes from Brass for goals as an example, so it's not exclusive to Zucc. That play at the blue line that Poo made was really a first rate play. Very heads up.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
  #170
Calad
Section 422
 
Calad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
I assume it's actually Puye-oh, but English-speakers have decided that they prefer Pu-lee-ot because they don't know French pronunciation and Benoit has given up on correcting everyone and just rolls with it.
*French-Canadian. They way they speak in Quebec is not indicitive of how the french of europe is spoken. Think of it as the "dirty south" version of french. Christobal Huet spoke something on the subject when he corrected announcers that his name was pronounced "Hu-it" instead of "Hu-ay", being from france and not french-canadian

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
  #171
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Doubt that sincerely. Sam Rosen and Mike Emrick wouldn't let that happen.

He's not from Quebec, although he's from pretty close to the Ontario-Quebec border. From searching around a little bit, this is apparently how he pronounces it. Also, Marc-Andre Pouliot apparently pronounces it the same way.
Agreed. Hockey announcers have always taken the time to get the pronouncation of players' names correct. That's one thing I like about the sport.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:05 AM
  #172
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
*French-Canadian. They way they speak in Quebec is not indicitive of how the french of europe is spoken. Think of it as the "dirty south" version of french. Christobal Huet spoke something on the subject when he corrected announcers that his name was pronounced "Hu-it" instead of "Hu-ay", being from france and not french-canadian
Very often the last letter of a word is not pronounced in French. Therefore Lemieux is pronounced Lemyou and not Lemyooks. It's just odd they do it with some names and not others. You can pronounce your own name anyway you want but the correct French pronunciation of Pouliot is Pu-lee-o. And it's even odder that he has a French first name that has a French pronunciation.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:27 AM
  #173
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
*French-Canadian. They way they speak in Quebec is not indicitive of how the french of europe is spoken. Think of it as the "dirty south" version of french. Christobal Huet spoke something on the subject when he corrected announcers that his name was pronounced "Hu-it" instead of "Hu-ay", being from france and not french-canadian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Doubt that sincerely. Sam Rosen and Mike Emrick wouldn't let that happen.

He's not from Quebec, although he's from pretty close to the Ontario-Quebec border. From searching around a little bit, this is apparently how he pronounces it. Also, Marc-Andre Pouliot apparently pronounces it the same way.
Wow, thanks! I had no idea, I've always assumed French-Canadian and European French were the same.

On the point of pronunciations I wish the announcers would do a bit more research on the European players' names, some are pretty butchered for no reason. Some names are difficult for English speakers to get right (like Forsberg, Syomin and Fyodorov), but others wouldn't be hard at all:

Selänne: SELL-ane, not Sel-AAne

Landeskog: Lan-de-skooogh, not Lan-de-skogh

Hagelin: Haag-el-een (like Aladeen from The Dictator ), not Hag-el-in

Those examples shouldn't be hard at all to get phonetically right for an English speaker if they knew the correct pronunciation.

Though I think many of the Swedish players like their anglicized pronunciations and don't ask their announcers to change.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:23 AM
  #174
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Wow, thanks! I had no idea, I've always assumed French-Canadian and European French were the same.

On the point of pronunciations I wish the announcers would do a bit more research on the European players' names, some are pretty butchered for no reason. Some names are difficult for English speakers to get right (like Forsberg, Syomin and Fyodorov), but others wouldn't be hard at all:

Selänne: SELL-ane, not Sel-AAne

Landeskog: Lan-de-skooogh, not Lan-de-skogh

Hagelin: Haag-el-een (like Aladeen from The Dictator ), not Hag-el-in

Those examples shouldn't be hard at all to get phonetically right for an English speaker if they knew the correct pronunciation.

Though I think many of the Swedish players like their anglicized pronunciations and don't ask their announcers to change.
The Americanized versions of those names sound way sweeter than their (apparent) real pronunciation, though!

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:36 AM
  #175
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Poo is much more than this years' Pyatt.
Poo has been valuble for us lately even when not scoring. I didn't like him when we got him and I didn't like his play early this season at all, but he has been really good lately.

-He is strong on the puck

-He moves the puck well

-He is fast in on the forecheck

-He is going hard to the net

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.