HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot is this year's obligatory enigma

Old
12-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

vCash: 500
Pou has found a home in front of the net on the PP

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:09 PM
trilobyte

Generally speaking, most people do better when they understand what their job is, sports or otherwise.

Pouliot has physical skills, but often they mean nothing. In the last while, I wonder if he discovered for himself how he can use that size and skill in front of the net, or did the coaching staff work with him. Either scenario would be encouraging, as it would mean that someone is thinking the game out a bit. Anyway, it's good to see a player being effective. With Pouliot's history, I now just hope he continues to fill this niche/need the team has for him. It should feel good to him to not be just moving around the ice for the sake of moving around around the ice.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Leetch66

Plus with all that new cap money coming in the next few years...a 20 goal season could fetch him an extra million per from some GM ...even Sather ! LOL...every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
0 points tonight. Why is he still on the roster?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 03:05 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

He and Brassard are very similar in the sense that you see flashes of the talent and edginess that made them high draft picks. But then, almost as quickly, they disappear.

Pouliot at this point in his career probably should've morphed himself into an Ethan Moreau kind of player, but for a variety of reasons it's just never quite happened. To me, that's where his future lies.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Funny that a lot of the praise for Benoit is his ability to chip in ES points, but he's scoring a lot on the PP for us. He's so damn good at the front of the net, it's refreshing with Cally injured.
What looks more the aberration, the 2 goals in 29 games or the 5 goals in 10? My math may be a bit off, but not by that much.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
What looks more the aberration, the 2 goals in 29 games or the 5 goals in 10? My math may be a bit off, but not by that much.
They are equal aberrations (on pace for 6 goals is less than half his average, on pace for 41 goals is more than double his average) compared to his 291 games before this season... but that kind of thing happens when you are taking very small sample sizes and comparing them to large ones, doesn't it? 14 goals, which is his pace for 82 games, isn't that far off of his 17 per 82 pace over the rest of his career.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
but that kind of thing happens when you are taking very small sample sizes and comparing them to large ones, doesn't it?
MOre or less that is my point. And for his largely putrid play this year, the last 10 games seems like it stands out more.

Old
01-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Blue Blooded

After starting the season with 4 points in 27 games, he now has 12 in his past 17 with no multi-point games. A very heads up play on the assist tonight.

Way to bounce back Benoit (balls)!

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
After starting the season with 4 points in 27 games, he now has 12 in his past 17 with no multi-point games. A very heads up play on the assist tonight.

Benjaminoit.

Can anyone explain why his last name is pronounced Pu-lee-ot and not Pu-lee-o?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
MOre or less that is my point. And for his largely putrid play this year, the last 10 games seems like it stands out more.
He's always been streaky. Atleast he finally showed up and it's been real important in balancing the lines . I remember when Pyatt was in the same boat . No comparison as poo still has some offence to his game

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Poo is much more than this years' Pyatt.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Benjaminoit.

Can anyone explain why his last name is pronounced Pu-lee-ot and not Pu-lee-o?
I assume it's actually Puye-oh, but English-speakers have decided that they prefer Pu-lee-ot because they don't know French pronunciation and Benoit has given up on correcting everyone and just rolls with it.

Old
01-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:

Back checking and taking the body, too

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:07 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
He's always been streaky. Atleast he finally showed up and it's been real important in balancing the lines . I remember when Pyatt was in the same boat . No comparison as poo still has some offence to his game
He has finally shown up. And he has been contributing. I am just not holding my breath for him to continue this type of play over an entire season.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I assume it's actually Puye-oh, but English-speakers have decided that they prefer Pu-lee-ot because they don't know French pronunciation and Benoit has given up on correcting everyone and just rolls with it.
Doubt that sincerely. Sam Rosen and Mike Emrick wouldn't let that happen.

He's not from Quebec, although he's from pretty close to the Ontario-Quebec border. From searching around a little bit, this is apparently how he pronounces it. Also, Marc-Andre Pouliot apparently pronounces it the same way.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Pizza

Poo and Brassard have both been very effective the last ten games. A big key to our recent success. They are getting/creating lots of chances and playing to strengths.

Zucc has really helped them.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:26 PM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Poo and Brassard have both been very effective the last ten games. A big key to our recent success. They are getting/creating lots of chances and playing to strengths.

Zucc has really helped them.
Zucc helps everyone.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonsniper View Post
Zucc helps everyone.
Very true. It's why he's my pick for MVP right now. Imo, Zucc just helps these two (or anyone) understand what's possible.

But both Brass & Poo have been doing the right things. They are putting themselves in positions to make good plays. Doing the most with what they have, where they are.

Poo has converted on very nice passes from Brass for goals as an example, so it's not exclusive to Zucc. That play at the blue line that Poo made was really a first rate play. Very heads up.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
*French-Canadian. They way they speak in Quebec is not indicitive of how the french of europe is spoken. Think of it as the "dirty south" version of french. Christobal Huet spoke something on the subject when he corrected announcers that his name was pronounced "Hu-it" instead of "Hu-ay", being from france and not french-canadian

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

He's not from Quebec, although he's from pretty close to the Ontario-Quebec border. From searching around a little bit, this is apparently how he pronounces it. Also, Marc-Andre Pouliot apparently pronounces it the same way.
Agreed. Hockey announcers have always taken the time to get the pronouncation of players' names correct. That's one thing I like about the sport.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:05 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
*French-Canadian. They way they speak in Quebec is not indicitive of how the french of europe is spoken. Think of it as the "dirty south" version of french. Christobal Huet spoke something on the subject when he corrected announcers that his name was pronounced "Hu-it" instead of "Hu-ay", being from france and not french-canadian
Very often the last letter of a word is not pronounced in French. Therefore Lemieux is pronounced Lemyou and not Lemyooks. It's just odd they do it with some names and not others. You can pronounce your own name anyway you want but the correct French pronunciation of Pouliot is Pu-lee-o. And it's even odder that he has a French first name that has a French pronunciation.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:27 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Quote:

Wow, thanks! I had no idea, I've always assumed French-Canadian and European French were the same.

On the point of pronunciations I wish the announcers would do a bit more research on the European players' names, some are pretty butchered for no reason. Some names are difficult for English speakers to get right (like Forsberg, Syomin and Fyodorov), but others wouldn't be hard at all:

Selänne: SELL-ane, not Sel-AAne

Landeskog: Lan-de-skooogh, not Lan-de-skogh

Hagelin: Haag-el-een (like Aladeen from The Dictator ), not Hag-el-in

Those examples shouldn't be hard at all to get phonetically right for an English speaker if they knew the correct pronunciation.

Though I think many of the Swedish players like their anglicized pronunciations and don't ask their announcers to change.

Old
01-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Wow, thanks! I had no idea, I've always assumed French-Canadian and European French were the same.

On the point of pronunciations I wish the announcers would do a bit more research on the European players' names, some are pretty butchered for no reason. Some names are difficult for English speakers to get right (like Forsberg, Syomin and Fyodorov), but others wouldn't be hard at all:

Selänne: SELL-ane, not Sel-AAne

Landeskog: Lan-de-skooogh, not Lan-de-skogh

Hagelin: Haag-el-een (like Aladeen from The Dictator ), not Hag-el-in

Those examples shouldn't be hard at all to get phonetically right for an English speaker if they knew the correct pronunciation.

Though I think many of the Swedish players like their anglicized pronunciations and don't ask their announcers to change.
The Americanized versions of those names sound way sweeter than their (apparent) real pronunciation, though!

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Poo is much more than this years' Pyatt.
Poo has been valuble for us lately even when not scoring. I didn't like him when we got him and I didn't like his play early this season at all, but he has been really good lately.

-He is strong on the puck

-He moves the puck well

-He is fast in on the forecheck

-He is going hard to the net

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote