HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No major youth movement planned

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2007, 06:32 AM
  #51
score77
Registered User
 
score77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hopatcong NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to score77
Quote:
What the Rangers' brass believes it needs upon resuming the schedule Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia is an infusion of youth to provide a spark. However, unwilling to expose one of their forwards to waivers, they decided for the time being not to call up center Brandon Dubinsky.

Instead, they summoned Girardi, the undrafted 22-year-old defenseman who is having a second straight strong season with Hartford. Girardi's age and experience require that he be exposed to re-entry waivers in order to be brought up to the NHL.

So the Rangers will sweat until noon today, waiting to see if any other NHL team takes the 6-foot-2, 200-pounder away from them.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-414258c.html

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 06:33 AM
  #52
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Girardi is signed to an entry level contract.Re-entry waivers for a player on an entry level contract?

Re-entry, by its definition, would mean that Girardi was already here, would it not? I don't remember Girardi having been called up before. I think Dellapina pulled one out of his rear on that one. Any chance he confused Girardi with Lampman?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:39 AM
  #53
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by score77 View Post
What the hell is Dellapina talking about regarding waivers? Why would Girardi be exposed to waivers? Why would any player that's never moved between the big club and the minors be exposed? (If that were the case, what would be the point of signing undrafted kids to play in the A?) Now supposedly they won't recall Dubinsky because they're worried about losing him to waivers too? He is a draftee, 20 years old and has never been called up before.

Did I miss something or did the NHL change the rules over the weekend such that any player involved in any internal transaction is now exposed to waivers? If Jags goes on IR for his groin to we have to worry about him getting snapped up when he comes off the list?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:47 AM
  #54
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
if delpinna is wrong, and i can't see how he isn't, i doubt i will ever go to his blog again. i mean hell, you wouldn't go to a tax accountant if you know 1/2 of his clients get audited for tax fraud.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:15 AM
  #55
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
And why would Malony come on the radio today and say all these things about young guys in the lineup?
Because he is a windup doll who has been spouting that exact mantra since Day One?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:21 AM
  #56
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Girardi would have to have signed a pro contract to be able to play in the NHL...

No one seems to want to spend the time and effort to find the rules on waivers, so maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
If Girardi only had a AHL contract it would explain things, and needs to sign a NHL contract, he have to go through waivers. There is a deadline to sign FA's I think, if you do it after that they have to pass through waivers.

Or atleast something like that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:34 AM
  #57
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
does he only have a AHL contract? i thought we signed him over the summer from one?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:40 AM
  #58
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Rangers will need a little luck to get Girardi to New York. The 22-year-old, who wasn't drafted out of junior hockey, had to be put through re-entry waivers. So if somebody claims him by noon today, the Rangers will lose him.
Waiver rules are based on age, year drafted and/or NHL games played. How do the rules apply to undrafted players with no NHL experience? Good posts I found when I searched: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6728436&postcount=12

Girardi has a contract with the Rangers: http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2209

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:42 AM
  #59
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
so pretty much, we won't lose him

whewww

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:50 AM
  #60
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
so pretty much, we won't lose him

whewww
I don't know. Dellapina is suggesting that undrafted players are subject to recall waivers. The only rules regarding recall waivers I can find say that their eligibility depends on when they were drafted.

Edit: check that, year signed, not year drafted.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:56 AM
  #61
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
What the hell is Dellapina talking about regarding waivers? Why would Girardi be exposed to waivers? Why would any player that's never moved between the big club and the minors be exposed? (If that were the case, what would be the point of signing undrafted kids to play in the A?) Now supposedly they won't recall Dubinsky because they're worried about losing him to waivers too? He is a draftee, 20 years old and has never been called up before.

Did I miss something or did the NHL change the rules over the weekend such that any player involved in any internal transaction is now exposed to waivers? If Jags goes on IR for his groin to we have to worry about him getting snapped up when he comes off the list?
Jesus H. Christ. Dellapina sounds like he's losing it. Why would Dubinsky be subject to waivers? He's in his first pro year EVER.

And Girardi isn't much different. Jesus, what ****** reporting.

Either Dellapina is brilliant and knows secrets no one else does, or he's really lost his grip on how the NHL works be saying that anyone called up would be subject to waivers.

edit: Maybe I took this the wrong way...maybe he believes the Rangers would have to send one of their current forwards down in order to bring up Dubinsky, and that's what he means by exposing a forward to waivers. That's probably more likely, in fact.

But it still doesn't make sense because the Rangers do not have to send a forward down to call one up. They have the roster space and could just scratch a current forward and insert the callup into the lineup. Either way, it's still poor reporting

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:59 AM
  #62
J-Dawg
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Now I'm not sure whether this question belongs in this thread or another, but I'm curious to this answer so here goes:

Girardi & Callahan are the Wolfpack representatives to the AHL All-Star game Monday and what happens if one and/or both get called up to the Rangers Saturday, will they still be able to play in the AHL All-Star game?

And if the answer is no, will they allow any Wolfpack players to replace them?


Last edited by J-Dawg: 01-25-2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: AHL All-Star Game is Monday
J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:22 AM
  #63
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Girardi doesn't have to clear waivers.....

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
  #64
caldercup0
Registered User
 
caldercup0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Dellapina corrected himself. Girardi DOES NOT have to pass through re-entry waivers.

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers...allup_afte.php

Good move by the Rangers.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
  #65
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Maybe hes monitoring this board...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:40 AM
  #66
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercup0 View Post
Dellapina corrected himself. Girardi DOES NOT have to pass through re-entry waivers.

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers...allup_afte.php

Good move by the Rangers.
I can't wait to see what Girardi can do. Hes been one of the best D-men in the AHL from what I have heard and he deserves a chance with the big club. Only thing that stinks is that he probably will not be able to play in the AHL All-Star game.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
  #67
J-Dawg
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Only thing that stinks is that he probably will not be able to play in the AHL All-Star game.
If that's the case, that sucks since he was voted a starter...

http://theahl.com/news/allstar/index...rticle_id=7350

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:47 AM
  #68
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 500
I've only seen a coupla Wolfpack games this year, but the one thing that really stands out about Girardi is his breakout pass. Other than that, you don't really notice him. (Which is generally a good thing for Dman.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
  #69
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I've only seen a coupla Wolfpack games this year, but the one thing that really stands out about Girardi is his breakout pass. Other than that, you don't really notice him. (Which is generally a good thing for Dman.)
Ya thats one of the big plus's about Girardi. He makes very good first passes out of the zone and he is solid positionally. He wont score many goals but could get a decent amount of assists with the way he passes.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
  #70
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Ya thats one of the big plus's about Girardi. He makes very good first passes out of the zone and he is solid positionally. He wont score many goals but could get a decent amount of assists with the way he passes.
Do you think he'll get a real look? Or will Renney just send him out the few minutes of the game he doesn't have Malik or Tyutin out there.

You can picture one bad pass by Girardi and him becoming glued to the bench, while Malik turns the puck over time after time, commits a couple of lazy hooking penalties, and gets tons of ice time regardless.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
  #71
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Do you think he'll get a real look? Or will Renney just send him out the few minutes of the game he doesn't have Malik or Tyutin out there.

You can picture one bad pass by Girardi and him becoming glued to the bench, while Malik turns the puck over time after time, commits a couple of lazy hooking penalties, and gets tons of ice time regardless.
I don't know for sure yet. The way trends have gone in the past when young players come up, they wont get major minutes unless someone goes down or plays horribly. I hope his playing time does not come at the expense of Pock as well. If someone sits it should be Malik or Rachunek imo. It's pointless to bring a kid up that is a key part to Hartford's D and suppose to start in the AHL All-Star game this weekend to only play 4 minutes or watch the game from the luxury boxes, but we are talking about Renney and the Rangers here so I really have no idea lol.

I hope that Girardi gets a fair shot but its a crap shoot when it comes to Renney and his youth management. When young players make mistakes so far this season (Pock, Prucha, Immonen, Callahan, Dawes) they either get bench, scratched, or sent back to Hartford. It seems that Renney only gives them one chance to prove themselves instead of like 2 to 4 weeks to actually find their game and transition from the AHL to the NHL. Its a joke if you ask me. Talk about immediate gratification that Renney wants. lol

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
  #72
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,704
vCash: 500
If they really do call this kid up, I could see him becoming a mainstay youth on the blueline along with Tyutin. There's just something about his intelligence and ability to adapt to every level he's played that suggests he could make the jump. He does not have mindblowing skills but he's got a pro, savvy look to his game that I cannot pinpoint.

Plus, NY needs another Girardi to root for!

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:35 AM
  #73
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
play him with pock, sit malik

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:38 AM
  #74
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I don't know for sure yet. The way trends have gone in the past when young players come up, they wont get major minutes unless someone goes down or plays horribly. I hope his playing time does not come at the expense of Pock as well. If someone sits it should be Malik or Rachunek imo. It's pointless to bring a kid up that is a key part to Hartford's D and suppose to start in the AHL All-Star game this weekend to only play 4 minutes or watch the game from the luxury boxes, but we are talking about Renney and the Rangers here so I really have no idea lol.

I hope that Girardi gets a fair shot but its a crap shoot when it comes to Renney and his youth management. When young players make mistakes so far this season (Pock, Prucha, Immonen, Callahan, Dawes) they either get bench, scratched, or sent back to Hartford. It seems that Renney only gives them one chance to prove themselves instead of like 2 to 4 weeks to actually find their game and transition from the AHL to the NHL. Its a joke if you ask me. Talk about immediate gratification that Renney wants. lol
Rookie Wojtek Wolski had one assist and was a total of -1 in his first two games for the Avs this year. Another Rookie, Paul Stastny, had no points and was -3 in those same two games.

In Tom Renney's world these players are banished to the bench or the minors, in favor of old retreads. In the real hockey world they have a total of 29 goals and 70 points between them at the all-star break.

And Tom Renney isn't the only one to blame here. Maloney can't come on a radio station and pontificate about youngsters getting ready when we all know they won't be given a real opportunity to play and learn.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:43 AM
  #75
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Rookie Wojtek Wolski had one assist and was a total of -1 in his first two games for the Avs this year. Another Rookie, Paul Stastny, had no points and was -3 in those same two games.

In Tom Renney's world these players are banished to the bench or the minors, in favor of old retreads. In the real hockey world they have a total of 29 goals and 70 points between them at the all-star break.

And Tom Renney isn't the only one to blame here. Maloney can't come on a radio station and pontificate about youngsters getting ready when we all know they won't be given a real opportunity to play and learn.
Well yeah its the entire management teams fault in the misuse/underuse of the organizations young players. During the games it is Renney's fault, deciding who gets called up and sent down and sometimes who dresses for games is determined by Sather, Maloney, and Renney. I just hope this time with Girardi it is different.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.