HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Opening night starting lineup

Old
01-12-2014, 04:35 AM
Groin Of Bates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Well? Anyone have the testicles to come here, in this thread and say the team isn't improving fast enough for your liking?
Made the playoffs once, in the benefit of a half-season, since '09.

Toiled in mediocrity in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference standings since '07, aside from last year.

Almost played our way out of the playoffs last year, considering where we should have placed and how Winnipeg lost their edge in the final 2 1/2 weeks.

Yes, great improvement.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Made the playoffs once, in the benefit of a half-season, since '09.

Toiled in mediocrity in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference standings since '07, aside from last year.

Almost played our way out of the playoffs last year, considering where we should have placed and how Winnipeg lost their edge in the final 2 1/2 weeks.

Yes, great improvement.
Salary near the bottom every year and even found ways to stay underneath it. We almost played our way out of the playoffs last year??? Do you not recall the run we went on?

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Jester9881

Some posters in this thread, just prove my point that they are going to complain regardless. We could switch places with Chicago right now, and they would find something to complain about. It must be miserable to hate something so much, and keep coming back.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Salary near the bottom every year and even found ways to stay underneath it. We almost played our way out of the playoffs last year??? Do you not recall the run we went on?
I think he was referring to how our subpar play in the final few games dropped us from a much more preferable 6th or 7th seed to the 8th seed against the Pens. At least that's certainly how I see it.

ZMan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Jester9881

LMAO at ANYONE that would complain about the last few games after the run those guys went on. Talk about irrational!

Old
01-12-2014, 12:29 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Quote:
LMAO at ANYONE that would complain about the last few games after the run those guys went on. Talk about irrational!
Would you not have rather played Montreal or the Caps in the first round? Yes they had a great run but they needed to finish out the season, and they struggled to do so.

ZMan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
Would you not have rather played Montreal or the Caps in the first round? Yes they had a great run but they needed to finish out the season, and they struggled to do so.
Of course! I'd also like them to win every single game they played. But lets be real here.... to know where they were before that run, and expect them to even make it to the playoffs was being borderline irrational. Let alone expecting them to win out the last few games to get a much higher seed. It's nothing short of amazing, the run they went on.... but you still want that golden goose, daddy.

Old
01-12-2014, 01:40 PM
redbull
2k17

using the 2009 roster as an "anchor" for this rebuild serves what purpose? The team had finished last overall, Tavares the prize, they only have Tavares, Okposo, Bailey and Nielsen from that team.

So what we're saying is, four years later, the team has almost ALL new players and they are still a bottom five team?

And this whole "boo-hoo" UFAs didn't want our money - well, for each contract a UFA signs, there are MANY OTHER TEAMS that also get a "no thank you" That's just an excuse.

If UFA is unavailable, then maybe a trade?

Wang won't pay.
Isles don't have the assets to trade.
Drafting and developing needs to be PERFECT, and it's not, on ANY team.

This is a cycle of faillure.

And of course the team's improved. How do you not improve from last overall? And top five picks since 2008? c'mon.

All of Wang, Snow, Capuano and his staff have failed at some level. Nobody should look at themselves and say "well done"

Most of the players have failed as well.

But the team has some bright spots: Tavares, Vanek, Okposo, Nielsen, Visnovsky, Nabokov, Hamonic, Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck - all work hard and are effective, playing at/above what we can expect. I'd put Bailey in that group as well, but that will upset many but see my post in the "bailey final straw" thread that details his output versus our expectations/needs.

This Isles team has improved. Their prospects are far better than in 2009. But they are still a bad team with may holes.

Improving is relative.

If you had a GPA of 1.0 and double it to 2.0, that's improvement. But still nothing to be proud of.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Jester9881

The point is exactly that this team has improved. Isn't that the point of rebuilding? I'd also like to remind everyone of the FACT that this rebuild was done entirely through the draft, and at the start of this season six of the last seven first rounders were still developing in the minors.

Now we have Strome, de Haan and Nelson contributing, with Reinhart likely getting in next season. We're at the tail and of the rebuild, but still very much in the rebuild.

And I fully stand by my statement that anyone who isn't happy with the speed of the rebuild is being completely irrational. No team goes from where we came from to a contender as fast as some of you would like. And if they did, they aren't going to maintain that success for long, because it would mean they did it by signing every UFA under the sun (something we were never able to do).

Old
01-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Frankie41987

Quote:
The point is exactly that this team has improved. Isn't that the point of rebuilding? I'd also like to remind everyone of the FACT that this rebuild was done entirely through the draft, and at the start of this season six of the last seven first rounders were still developing in the minors.

Now we have Strome, de Haan and Nelson contributing, with Reinhart likely getting in next season. We're at the tail and of the rebuild, but still very much in the rebuild.

And I fully stand by my statement that anyone who isn't happy with the speed of the rebuild is being completely irrational. No team goes from where we came from to a contender as fast as some of you would like. And if they did, they aren't going to maintain that success for long, because it would mean they did it by signing every UFA under the sun (something we were never able to do).
I agree with you, and I think the most important thing to keep in mind during a rebuild is that you're building a core that will continue to improve and not a team that transiently is getting better. I also understand the perspective of some that this process could of been accelerated through trade/FA, but for the most part I'm sympathetic towards the frustrating situation of attracting FA to sign here. Snow's could of tried to improve the team through trades but that would have meant losing key prospects who are playing for the team right now.

Frankie41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:45 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:

It was hailed as a 5-year rebuild plan when it was a 7-8 year plan in reality. 5 years if everything panned out and 8 years with realistic expectations. It's been painful, but we have a good situation. Vanek re-signs and this team is poised to make noise starting next season. The #1 priority is to get a goalie and conditions are favorable to get one and still be fiscally responsible. Our top prospects are all advanced in their development and not some pimple faced 18 year old being asked to be a savior. The plan is meticulously being put together. People say we are 2 top-4 d-men and a goalie away... we very well could be and are doing it with a cap floor team. It's MoneyPuck at it's finest.

Even if a new owner came in and cleaned house tomorrow, the new regime has a lot of flexibility and assets to work with. Even still, all the major assets fit the puzzle that the Isles have been putting together.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:49 PM
crashthenet

If anyone's interested, take a look at the Islander/Calgary drafts from 2000 through 2007. Wow.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Some posters in this thread, just prove my point that they are going to complain regardless. We could switch places with Chicago right now, and they would find something to complain about. It must be miserable to hate something so much, and keep coming back.
No, Im just a realistic person. If you want to be kittens and rainbows 24/7, that is your prerogative, but its not mine.

The team DID almost play its way out of the playoffs, regardless of the amazing run they went on. If you remember, Winnipeg was also putting together a very solid run. If they finished the season strongly, like their amazing run, we would have played a more favorable matchup and dare I say made it out of round 1 the way they were playing against the Pens.

If we switched places with Chicago, Id be ecstatic, but we arent, so lets be realistic.

The team STILL has faults. A 5-game win streak doesnt change that. Capuano still is not a good coach. The 1st line still is the only thing keeping the team afloat. The defense is still sub-par. The goaltending is still sub-par. A few good games in a row doesnt change that. A few 'meh' years since 2009 doesnt make me go WOWWWW when I see the opening roster compared to now. The team still sits in the bottom of the East. It apparently doesnt matter who is on the roster.

Call me a complainer, I dont really mind. I am 100% ok in saying we still can be better and complaining about the players / management that deserve it at the appropriate times.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Sideshow Bob

There is no doubt we are a better team than we were in 2009. Merely being a better team is not how I would gauge the success of the rebuild. I'm not gonna settle for merely being better, with one playoff appearance since then. we need to have higher standards for calling it a success. when we are perenial contenders, not an on the bubble team, I will be satisfied.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Felix Unger

Omg, like really? Huh. Wow. Had no idea... What would we do without old jingle bells?

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:12 AM
original islander

Islanders at the 47 game mark in 2009-2010 were 1 game over .500 at 20-19-8 and proceeded to win their next 2 games bringing them to 22-19-8 before finishing 34-37-11. The current team is 4 games under .500 at 18-22-7 but trending up.

Last edited by original islander: 01-13-2014 at 02:38 AM.
original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:06 AM
2ndGenIslander
Free Broadway Jay

KO had more than 9 games before JT came around, at least one full season

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:35 AM
majormet

Quote:
I'm just going to post this, and kindfully suggest it get stickied. This way, when anyone complains about how long the rebuild is taking, they can come here and get a swift kick of reality...

ISLANDERS
Goaltenders
30 Dwayne Roloson
43 Martin Biron

Defensemen
24 Radek Martinek - 2 Mark Streit
32 Brendan Witt - 8 Bruno Gervais
25 Andy Sutton - 44 Freddy Meyer

Forwards
16 Jon Sim - 12 Josh Bailey - 7 Trent Hunter
26 Matt Moulson - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
20 Sean Bergenheim - 10 Richard Park - 15 Jeff Tambellini
40 Joel Rechlicz - 11 Nate Thompson - 28 Tim Jackman

Let that sink if for awhile
I am not going to say that we have come a long way since then... perspective is everything

Going into that season, our views of some of these players were very optimistic

Bruno Gervais - He was still a shiny new toy or name on a page that was destined for greatness, not the error prone soft chef that he became. This was the year that he showed great weakness as a player, with Streit having to cover up for him all the time, but going into the season he was a "stud" in the making

Andy Sutton - big acquisition, another name on a page, came in with size and highlight style hits, but on a daily basis he was a very slow skater who seldomly hit and never could get back on defense.

Josh Bailey - expectations for him to be a monster player were at their highest at this point. He was an unknown besides being a first round pick. It would take a few years before he became known as the invisible man, making me wish a 50 something Duane Sutter had his jersey back

Trent Hunter - one of my favorite Isles of all time, but this was the beginning of the end for him, at this point his shoulder got hurt as off as Butch screws up. He was only good at getting pucks out of the corner sadly, but going into the year, he was expected to be at 50 point man

Sean Bergenheim - super speedy and gritty, the sky was the limit for this guy.... he vanished for 20 games at a time and took the dumb penalty at least once a game. Going into the year, many were clamoring for top line minutes

Jeff Tambellini - the overtime king... going into this season there was still a big ceiling for this nepotite. He was in the luxury box for most of the season outside of a random hat trick out of nowhere.

It is easy to put todays' roster up now and see as Bruce says "high hopes" but in reality we could be saying the same for Strome, Nelson, Donovan and others...

A rebuild is only as good as the randomness of the drafted players....

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote