HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaden Schwartz

View Poll Results: How long would you like Schwartz's next contract to be?
1 Year 0 0%
2 Years 6 9.38%
3 Years 9 14.06%
4 Years 13 20.31%
5 Years 9 14.06%
6+ 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
My top 6:

Petro
Steen
Backes
Bouwmeester
Oshie
Schwartz
I would agree with this but I'd switch Backes and Steen.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Backes and Steen are interchangeable, as are Oshie and Schwartz IMO.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:33 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Agreed. Still think Backes' physicality and better attributes in the middle of the ice make him our best forward.

But that's our top 6 + Shatty at #7, IMO.

It's really nice to see everyone playing great and becoming big-time players.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

I think he gets a 2 year bridge contract simply because it fits Armstrong's history. If Schwartz is signed to a 6+ year deal, you would be paying a lot for his potential to become a constant 80+ point winger. He very well continue to be that type of player, but Army would most likely back-load his deal and that would increase his cap hit. If we are going to be a cap-team, or even maintain this status quo, cap management will be critical.

With Tarasenko's deal coming up, if he sees Schwartz sign a 6+ year with a cap hit of 5 mil, would he be out of line to request a similar deal? I think Army would try to avoid that at all costs and make sure that the raises due to Schwartz and Sobotka this year, and Tarasenko's next year are absorbing Stewart's and Roy's expiring contracts.

I would look for a bridge 2/yr contract. 1st year 3 mil, 2nd year 4 mil and a cap hit of 3.5.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Mike Liut

How long do the Blues hold the rights to Schwartz before he becomes an UFA?

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Stopsight

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
How long do the Blues hold the rights to Schwartz before he becomes an UFA?
everyone becomes a UFA after 7 years in the NHL or 27 Years, which I believe is the same for Schwartz, He may be a UFA at 26 though. Also contract has to expire

Stopsight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The Blues have four more restricted years after this one with Schwartz.

I would be fine with 7 x 5.25. It's a gut decision here but I think this guy is gonna be a Parise. You can just so fully see it. The impact, night in night out, shift in shift out. He's got "it." I think instead of looking at it like a bridge situation, look at it like Petro coming off his ELC. This is all provided he earns it the rest of the year. But if he does, every Blues fan is going to understand. You watch, if this is him the rest of the year, he's getting 70 points. Then think how you'll feel. Right now, we are the only ones talking about this kid, but the buzz is gonna spread and just think of other HF fans and their "offer sheets." My gut tells me the contract i suggested will look like we robbed him about a year or so into it.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:09 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Duel Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post

Unless I'm mistaken about the number of years of team control, 4 years would take Schwartz straight to UFA, which is certainly not preferable. If we are going to go long term with him now, we need to go all the way and go 7 or 8 years. Otherwise, he's going to get a bridge deal.
And I wouldn't have a problem with a bridge deal either, not when there are other players to obtain via FA, trade, retaining current, as well in a small market, so everything is just pure speculation over the internet.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

vCash: 200
For me, I look at what the young guys in Edmonton received. If you can get Schwartz for long term at 5, you do it.

Lord Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

It seems like everyone falls into 2 camps. Either you sign Schwartz short term at a lower cap hit, recognizing that his cap hit will be significantly more once the bridge contract expires. Or you sign him long term now in order to keep his cap hit lower in the latter half of his contract.

I don't envy Armstrong's decision because either side has it's advantages/disadvantages and either way, Schwartz is going to be a Blue for a long long time.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Celtic Note
Ugly as Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
It seems like everyone falls into 2 camps. Either you sign Schwartz short term at a lower cap hit, recognizing that his cap hit will be significantly more once the bridge contract expires. Or you sign him long term now in order to keep his cap hit lower in the latter half of his contract.

I don't envy Armstrong's decision because either side has it's advantages/disadvantages and either way, Schwartz is going to be a Blue for a long long time.
As long as Schwartz is on the team, I think we win either way.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post

I would be fine with 7 x 5.25. It's a gut decision here but I think this guy is gonna be a Parise. You can just so fully see it. The impact, night in night out, shift in shift out. He's got "it." I think instead of looking at it like a bridge situation, look at it like Petro coming off his ELC. This is all provided he earns it the rest of the year. But if he does, every Blues fan is going to understand. You watch, if this is him the rest of the year, he's getting 70 points. Then think how you'll feel. Right now, we are the only ones talking about this kid, but the buzz is gonna spread and just think of other HF fans and their "offer sheets." My gut tells me the contract i suggested will look like we robbed him about a year or so into it.
I'm with you P9. I usually favor bridge deals but there are certain cases where I'm willing to go long term on special talent, aka Petro. I definitely think Schwartz fits that mold.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post

I would say they should considered it, but would understand if they didn't.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Bluesman91

With Schwartz named a Team Canada alternate, does point towards more of a long term contract?

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 07:51 PM
pricer502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
With Schwartz named a Team Canada alternate, does point towards more of a long term contract?
I think it shows how much respect Hockey personnel - GM's,Scouts,Coaching have for Schwartz's game. Something clicked last year in the playoffs and he hasn't looked back. The fact that he has been named as possible alternatate based on how good he has been in only 1 year says it all (Leads league in plus minus...wow). I love the Parise comparison (I think Pocket originally made) and i think he actually as the same if not higher ceiling. I think we are starting to see Tarasenko find his game, over the past couple weeks i think something has clicked and he has really started to adapt to the NA game. I say lock them both up now for discount. 5 years +.

Last edited by pricer502: 01-09-2014 at 08:56 PM.
pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:49 PM
BlueDream

Schwartz is not gonna be in this Olympics. There are better options as alternates.

Quote:
Dan ONeill ‏@WWDOD 1h

@WWDOD I misunderstood Armstrong this morning, he simply said Schwartz had come up in conversations.

Old
01-09-2014, 08:56 PM
pricer502

I didn't think he would either. I think it the fact that his name even came up says it all.

pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
BlueDream

Right, but when Armstrong is in there it's not too surprising. I'm sure he is the one that first brought up his name.

But yeah, he's been good and in 2018 he may very well be on the team.

Old
01-11-2014, 07:47 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

I hope Jaden signs a two year deal that's cheaper then he's worth. u know an oshie or stewart like "prove it" deal... and then get a very very long term extension after that.

These next two years we will have a very legit shot at the cup and every penny counts especially with alll the other extensions we've been signing guys too etc...and the whole goaltending conundrum with one of halak or elliott that will be resigned unless we get ryan miller via trade....

STLBLUES44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
I hope Jaden signs a two year deal that's cheaper then he's worth. u know an oshie or stewart like "prove it" deal... and then get a very very long term extension after that.

These next two years we will have a very legit shot at the cup and every penny counts especially with alll the other extensions we've been signing guys too etc...and the whole goaltending conundrum with one of halak or elliott that will be resigned unless we get ryan miller via trade....
The problem with giving him a 2 year deal is we could be put in a situation like Montreal is with Subban where he is asking upwards of 9 million dollars. Obviously I don't think Schwartz will command 9 million but he may be worth 7+ with 2 extra years of development which then hurts re-signing players down the road due to such a large cap hit.

Old
01-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Thallis
"more effort"

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop12 View Post
People don't now squat about hockey. They see sizzle in Tara, but I see steak in Schwartz. I was called a ****** for saying Schwartz would be the better player.
For thinking Tarasenko was better than Schwartz? It can still be argued he is, even at this point. Tarasenko is likely our best possession forward at this point in time, while Schwartz is tougher on the forecheck.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 12:29 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 362
I think it's pretty obvious that you give Schwartz a big deal. Set an example of a fair deal for the "young core"

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 01:11 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
For thinking Tarasenko was better than Schwartz? It can still be argued he is, even at this point. Tarasenko is likely our best possession forward at this point in time, while Schwartz is tougher on the forecheck.
bishop12's comment is bizarre. On this board, comments like that (calling a poster "******" as a counterargument) are just not tolerated (nor are they welcome).

I have also consistently said I thought the Blues drafted Schwartz higher than Tarasenko because they thought he was the better prospect, or at least that people should consider that. When people have said he would be "Parise lite" I've asked why the 'lite' is in there. With his improved shot this season, Schwartz has continued to grind away the rough edges of his game to the point where the only thing that seems to stand in the way of his becoming a star is: health and enduring tenacity. I would bet on his tenacity, and I think we'll see with the next contract if Armstrong does, too.

But no one ever called me a '******' (no one on this board talks that way) for my opinion (though it has been the minority view).

I see little value in deciding who is better or more valuable between Tarasenko and Schwartz. We've got them both, and we're keeping them both. Whether the draft position reflected a strategy to be able to get both players at those picks, or whether it was a straight read off the Blues' rankings....I doubt we'll ever know. But the fact is that the Blues had Jaden ranked quite high, and it was fantastic that they got him.

I also love that Rundblad trade for Tarasenko. Rundblad was sold high, and seems to be having some troubles. Tarasenko is a special player and its a joy to watch he and Schwartz coming into their own on the Blues.

I think teams that win Cups have players that break out, and in hindsight are viewed as young stars. But at the moment when it happens, much of the league is ignorant of their true destiny. To my mind, both Tarasenko and Schwartz are going to be all-star caliber players for many years. If opposing fanbases don't get that, and look at the Blues roster to say they lack high level talent....I say let them engrave their names on the Stanley Cup as 2nd year players and watch the rest of their careers explode.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Bluesman91

Figured I'd bump the thread since the acquisition of Miller and possibly extending him, how will this effect what kind of contract we give Jaden?

Old
03-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Robb_K

Schwartz will break out over the next 2 years, and become very costly to sign. They'd better sign him now to a 6 or 7 year contract, using his present value as a base, because he will surely exceed projections with a "conservative bent" put in for the "unknown-you've got to prove it factor (that GMs can use).

They'll have to shell out plenty to keep him a Blue for his whole career, so ensure, now, that he'll be here for a long while.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote