HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Interesting comments by Howson regarding Smyth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2007, 04:25 PM
  #1
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Interesting comments by Howson regarding Smyth

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5008

Reading that, do the Oilers sound like a team that won't trade Smyth before the deadline, even if he isn't signed?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
  #2
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
It's Howson and Meehan job to play hardball. I think mroe can be drawn from comments by Smyth and KLowe. I think there is a good chance we re-sign him, even if negotiating seems a little heavy.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:04 AM
  #3
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
We'll re-sign him, I have zero doubt. It simple, listen to the guy when he gets asked about it, the only thing he says is for them guys to "get it done". Doesn't hint at testing the market, doesn't do anything to hint he'll leave. He wants to stay, but he wants to be treated fairly because the organization can now afford to do so. He'll get his coin, I think the sticking point will be the years because with the way Smyth plays I think a lot of us expect him to break down earlier then some would.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:45 PM
  #4
R-MAN83
Registered User
 
R-MAN83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hinton.AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
I love Smyth but if the team isn't playing well and negotiations are not happening then they might have to go down that road and see what he would fetch and get him to a Cup contender.

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
  #5
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
We'll re-sign him, I have zero doubt. It simple, listen to the guy when he gets asked about it, the only thing he says is for them guys to "get it done". Doesn't hint at testing the market, doesn't do anything to hint he'll leave. He wants to stay, but he wants to be treated fairly because the organization can now afford to do so. He'll get his coin, I think the sticking point will be the years because with the way Smyth plays I think a lot of us expect him to break down earlier then some would.
I don't doubt for a second what you say about Smyth wanting to stay, and wanting to be treated fairly.

My question is if the Oilers management feels the same way. Leaving the contract negotiation of an impending UFA who also happens to be the face of the franchise to the last minute like this seems a risky play.

February will be a critical month in how this organization moves towards the future, IMHO.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
  #6
HOF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Somebody check out calgarypuck. There is a funny post on there about a struck deal between Edmonton/Boston.

You'll have a good laugh.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
  #7
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
Somebody check out calgarypuck. There is a funny post on there about a struck deal between Edmonton/Boston.

You'll have a good laugh.
What's the gist of it?

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:33 PM
  #8
HOF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
What's the gist of it?
EDM: Smyth + Bergeron + Pouliot

BOS: Bergeron + Stuart + Sturm


HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:36 PM
  #9
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
EDM: Smyth + Bergeron + Pouliot

BOS: Bergeron + Stuart + Sturm

That's similar to the one on Oilfans. There was someone other than Smyth. That is a crazy trade

edit:
Just out of curiosity, is it one of the my friend who knows someone with the Oilers sources, or is it someone else?

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
  #10
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
That's similar to the one on Oilfans. There was someone other than Smyth. That is a crazy trade

edit:
Just out of curiosity, is it one of the my friend who knows someone with the Oilers sources, or is it someone else?
Same idea, but from the "Got an email from a family member who works for the Boston Globe who talks to people inside the Boston org" side of things.

The poster's track record speaks for itself.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
  #11
Ibrahim300*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
noooo don't sign him he sucks!
he just stands in front of the net
I could do that



while hugging OntOilFan

Ibrahim300* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.