HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Think we will, and we should sign shanahan for another year?

Old
01-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Think we will, and we should sign shanahan for another year?

If it were up to me, I would be negotiating with his agent NOW to lock him up for next year. Forget his goals, what the guy does on the ice that DOESNT reflect on the scoresheet is enough to give him another contract

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Geogaddi

I feel the same way. I dont understand the want around here to get rid of him. The guy has exceded many expectations around here, and yet we already want to pawn him off.

im all about giving him 1 year extension.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

You will get no disagreement from me, I think he brings so many intangables and strong leadership that this team really needs and they would be stupid IMO to let him go after this season. That is unless he can no longer play.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Why is this even a debate? I don't understand how you could feel any different.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
Why is this even a debate? I don't understand how you could feel any different.
and yet ive seen threads dedicated to getting rid of shanny

Old
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I feel the same way. I dont understand the want around here to get rid of him. The guy has exceded many expectations around here, and yet we already want to pawn him off.

im all about giving him 1 year extension.
I dont either. Shanahan has been an amazing addition. Even if he goes scoreless for the rest of the year i would bring him back (if he wants to come back). the guys intangibles are off the charts.

Old
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
SPG

Bring Shanny back... I haven't seen any indication that he does not want to be here despite the team's struggles. The people that want to dump him are out of it... I thoroughly enjoy watching the guy play the game.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
bleedrngrblue

Anyone who wants to get rid of Shanahan is clueless. I agree the Rangers should be looking to lock him up for at least next season. His leadership cannot be questioned.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
If it were up to me, I would be negotiating with his agent NOW to lock him up for next year. Forget his goals, what the guy does on the ice that DOESNT reflect on the scoresheet is enough to give him another contract
Agreed, I was just posting about this the other day but the thread was locked before I hit reply.

The only legit concern someone had was the risk of losing him in July, so better to trade him off as a rental.

Well there's a better option:

1) Decide if you want him here when he's 40, giving leadership to Staal and other young guys.

2) if so, approach his agent about a 1 or 2 year extension with a no-trade clause, letting him know your intentions for him.

3) If he signs, everybody is happy and we don't lose him as a UFA.

3) if he declines the offer - well then at least we know where we stand at the trade deadline if team's come knocking.

I think he likes it here and wants to stay personally.

Consider this:
Quote:
Unrestricted free agent winger Brendan Shanahan turned down competing offers from Detroit and Montreal to sign a one-year, $4 million contract with the New York Rangers.

Shanahan, who registered 40 goals and 41 assists for the Red Wings last season, received similar, if not higher paying, offers from the Wings and Canadiens.

"We are thrilled to welcome Brendan and his family to the Rangers," said Rangers GM Glen Sather. "He continues to perform at an elite level and also brings outstanding leadership qualities to our organization. Brendan will be a tremendous player and person for our young players to learn from."
source

That says a lot about how the perception of the franchise has turned for the better. When good character guys like Shanny want to come here not just for money you know times are changing.

Trading him would be a very poor decision, unless he indicates in some way that he doesn't want to stay here.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:52 PM
dank

i definitely think he should be locked up, however i doubt that he would leave after the year. he said that he likes the one-year contract so that he can play for his next one, i doubt he leaves NY unless something awful happens.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:22 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
i definitely think he should be locked up, however i doubt that he would leave after the year. he said that he likes the one-year contract so that he can play for his next one, i doubt he leaves NY unless something awful happens.
Well something awful did happen to him...he started playing for the Rangers!

Listen I'm one who brought up some reasons to trade him, although there are certainly also reasons not to. The reasons not to are very clear, the man brings not only a ton of talent but also an amazing amount of intangibles to the team that desperately need them. I don't care who has the 'C' on their chest, Shanahan is the acting captain of this team. When the Ottawa defenseman flipped the puck into the crowd at the end of the game but nothing was called, who questioned the refs at the end of the game? Not Jagr.

Here are some reasons not to sign him:

His leadership and character are wasted on this group of schlubs. Nobody who matters is really learning anything from Shanahan. Maybe Tyutin, that's about it.

Coincidence or not, Shanahan's arrival triggered Prucha's descent down the depth chart. Hopefully by the time this team is actually good Prucha will be scoring 40 goals for us. Shanahan will certainly be retired before this team accomplishes anything.

There is no centerman to get him the puck. Putting Shanahan with Cullen is a waste.

We all assume he wants to come back, which he may not. Although he's smart enough to say all the right things, if you read between the lines Shanahan has questioned things on this team. He's questioned the coach, the power play, and the team's willingness to do what it takes to win. He has to be wondering what the heck he got himself into here.

Last edited by dave4: 01-25-2007 at 02:52 PM.
dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I'm going to say no and it's going to be unpopular. I love the guy, but there's just not enough cap space to upgrade on D, sign Shanahan, and a center to play with him. I think it'd be better to sign a centerman, and hope that Prucha picks up some of the slack with 1st unit PP time back.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

If you bring him back and leave him on a line with Cullen, what's the point? The guy's offensive abilities have been neutered by having him play an unlikely role on a frankenstein of a team.

So much just has to change with the Rangers in the offseason, I'm hesitant to see anyone locked up at this point in the year.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:35 PM
The Big Apple

I would like to have shanny back next year, but i have to see how things shake out the rest of the way this year before i say resign him.... Hopefully he can tudor some of our up and coming prospects....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If you bring him back and leave him on a line with Cullen, what's the point? The guy's offensive abilities have been neutered by having him play an unlikely role on a frankenstein of a team.

So much just has to change with the Rangers in the offseason, I'm hesitant to see anyone locked up at this point in the year.
I think that you make a good point with that last comment especially. Lets hope that they can make some of those changes and bring Shanny back.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm going to say no and it's going to be unpopular. I love the guy, but there's just not enough cap space to upgrade on D, sign Shanahan, and a center to play with him. I think it'd be better to sign a centerman, and hope that Prucha picks up some of the slack with 1st unit PP time back.
Where do the young players fit if you want to upgrade on D and sign a center?I'm not picking on you but some fans want to have it both ways.Sign free agents plus add young players and then when the free agents do not play well,the Rangers are morons for signing the players in the first place which blocks any advancement for any kind of youth on the team.I read how the Rangers should re-sign Michael Nylander and then sign another center.Matt Cullen has three years remaining.Where does Brandon Dubinsky play?As far the defense is concerned,Fedor Tyutin,Michal Roszival,Aaron Ward and Marek Malik are signed through 2007-08.Darius Kasparaitis is also signed but his status is unknown.Karel Rachunek is a group II.Do we really want to create the same situation again next season where Ivan Baranka and/or Marc Staal can't make the team because there are 6/7 signed players on defense.Thomas Pock will be a group 6

This is free agent class for defense this summer
RAFALSKI, BRIAN
HAMRLIK, ROMAN
SCHNEIDER, MATHIEU
BRISEBOIS, PATRICE
OZOLINSH, SANDIS
POTI, TOM
NUMMINEN, TEPPO
NIINIMAA, JANNE
BERARD, BRYAN
MARKOV, DANNY
RIVET, CRAIG
SOURAY, SHELDON
STUART, BRAD
SOPEL, BRENT
MILLER, AARON
TIMONEN, KIMMO
PHILLIPS, CHRIS
HANNAN, SCOTT
MCGILLIS, DANIEL
SYDOR, DARRYL
DE VRIES, GREG
BREWER, ERIC
SUTTON, ANDY
MARKOV, ANDREI
MODRY, JAROSLAV
SARICH, CORY
SKOULA, MARTIN
TJARNQVIST, DANIEL
VISHNEVSKI, VITALY
O'DONNELL, SEAN
SALO, SAMI
FISCHER, JIRI
WESLEY, GLEN
LUKOWICH, BRAD
VAANANEN, OSSI
KLEMM, JON
HEJDA, JAN
TANABE, DAVID
CHELIOS, CHRIS
JACKMAN, RICHARD
MELICHAR, JOSEF
KLEE, KEN
HEWARD, JAMIE
PRATT, NOLAN
HILL, SEAN
ERIKSSON, ANDERS
HNIDY, SHANE
MUIR, BRYAN
PREISSING, TOM
CAIRNS, ERIC
LEHTONEN, MIKKO
BROWN, BRAD
SCUDERI, ROBERT
RIVERS, JAMIE
FITZPATRICK, RORY
RICHARDSON, LUKE
YORK, JASON
ALLISON, JAMIE
BOUCHARD, JOEL
KWIATKOWSKI, JOEL
FAHEY, JIM
WEAVER, MIKE
DIPENTA, JOE
PUSHOR, JAMIE

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 02:49 PM
snowcloud

Some people want to get rid of him because he's a -7. I say he brings many things to the team which can't be measured only on the score/stat sheet. I like him here but would understand if he wanted OUT!! This team seems a mess right now.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I saw threads when you guys signed him disagreeing with the signing. I call the people who start those threads "dumb."

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-25-2007 at 08:58 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
I saw threads when you guys signed him disagreeing with the signing. I call the people who start those threads "dumb"
agreed, he was # 2 on my offseason list, right behind Joe Sakic.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-25-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old
01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
SML

It's not a bad idea to test the waters and see if he'll agree. If he doesn't sign before the deadline, I'd trade him. I love the guy, but the bottom line is that I root for the name on the front of the sweater, first, and the names on the back second. I think the guy has been better than I ever imagined he would be, but if he is going to move on next year anyway, I want the Rangers to get something out of it.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Where do the young players fit if you want to upgrade on D and sign a center?I'm not picking on you but some fans want to have it both ways.Sign free agents plus add young players and then when the free agents do not play well,the Rangers are morons for signing the players in the first place which blocks any advancement for any kind of youth on the team.
that really doesn't describe me.

Cullen can play wing. If Dubinsky earns a spot next year, he should play, and I don't think Cullen will block him.

I don't think that Staal and Baranka didn't make the team because of the players in front of them, I mean, Thomas Pck was the 6th defenseman starting the regular season. I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to have both Staal and Baranka starting the season in NY next year.

Rachunek is group III is he not?

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Considering what Shanahan is worth in a deadline deal is not the same as wanting to "get rid of Shanny". Honestly, if this team looks to be missing the playoffs, keeping him is pointless and bringing him back in the same capacity next season just seems counter productive.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:47 PM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Where do the young players fit if you want to upgrade on D and sign a center?I'm not picking on you but some fans want to have it both ways.Sign free agents plus add young players and then when the free agents do not play well,the Rangers are morons for signing the players in the first place which blocks any advancement for any kind of youth on the team.I read how the Rangers should re-sign Michael Nylander and then sign another center.Matt Cullen has three years remaining.Where does Brandon Dubinsky play?As far the defense is concerned,Fedor Tyutin,Michal Roszival,Aaron Ward and Marek Malik are signed through 2007-08.Darius Kasparaitis is also signed but his status is unknown.Karel Rachunek is a group II.Do we really want to create the same situation again next season where Ivan Baranka and/or Marc Staal can't make the team because there are 6/7 signed players on defense.Thomas Pock will be a group 6

This is free agent class for defense this summer
RAFALSKI, BRIAN
HAMRLIK, ROMAN
SCHNEIDER, MATHIEU
BRISEBOIS, PATRICE
OZOLINSH, SANDIS
POTI, TOM
NUMMINEN, TEPPO
NIINIMAA, JANNE
BERARD, BRYAN
MARKOV, DANNY
RIVET, CRAIG
SOURAY, SHELDON
STUART, BRAD
SOPEL, BRENT
MILLER, AARON
TIMONEN, KIMMO
PHILLIPS, CHRIS
HANNAN, SCOTT
MCGILLIS, DANIEL
SYDOR, DARRYL
DE VRIES, GREG
BREWER, ERIC
SUTTON, ANDY
MARKOV, ANDREI
MODRY, JAROSLAV
SARICH, CORY
SKOULA, MARTIN
TJARNQVIST, DANIEL
VISHNEVSKI, VITALY
O'DONNELL, SEAN
SALO, SAMI
FISCHER, JIRI
WESLEY, GLEN
LUKOWICH, BRAD
VAANANEN, OSSI
KLEMM, JON
HEJDA, JAN
TANABE, DAVID
CHELIOS, CHRIS
JACKMAN, RICHARD
MELICHAR, JOSEF
KLEE, KEN
HEWARD, JAMIE
PRATT, NOLAN
HILL, SEAN
ERIKSSON, ANDERS
HNIDY, SHANE
MUIR, BRYAN
PREISSING, TOM
CAIRNS, ERIC
LEHTONEN, MIKKO
BROWN, BRAD
SCUDERI, ROBERT
RIVERS, JAMIE
FITZPATRICK, RORY
RICHARDSON, LUKE
YORK, JASON
ALLISON, JAMIE
BOUCHARD, JOEL
KWIATKOWSKI, JOEL
FAHEY, JIM
WEAVER, MIKE
DIPENTA, JOE
PUSHOR, JAMIE
You couldnt put it in alphabetical at the very least?

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Considering what Shanahan is worth in a deadline deal is not the same as wanting to "get rid of Shanny". Honestly, if this team looks to be missing the playoffs, keeping him is pointless and bringing him back in the same capacity next season just seems counter productive.
I agree completely. Although I wouldn't mind having him back next year, he is getting up there in the years and IF a top prospect can be obtained I would rather see the team get another promising young player to help build for the future.

For example in the trade rumors section when someone asked what their teams would be willing to offer for Shanny, some Vancouver fans offered Luc Bourdon. If someone of that caliber was being offered you can't pass it up for 30 more games (or even one more season) of Shanny. Although I doubt he would bring back that high of a return because of his age and is a UFA next year.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Take the 1st two months of the season away and what do we have?

A guy with one even strength goal (almost two months ago) and 7 goals total...(3 in one game!)

Is it the added minutes?

Maybe

Is it the lack of a centerman?

Maybe but he also had Cullen as his center the first two months of the season...

I like Shanny i think he will be an important part of any success but I'm not sure this can be more than a one year experiment..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote