HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Downie scratched versus NYR

Old
01-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Downie scratched versus NYR

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...h-tonight.html

Can't say I'm surprised. Him and Lecavalier upon their returns from their respective injuries have not played well enough. Berube cited a "lack of intensity" shift to shift.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 01:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Pretty sure he won't be back next year.

Sucks that this means Rosehill is in and McGinn is now on the 3rd line.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 01:26 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
I'm sure he won't be back next year.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Garbage Goal

McGinn playing like he usually does is better then Downie playing like he has lately even in the third line.

Smart move, but there really is no consistency with what can get you benched and what can't on this team.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Mota

I feel like this is an excuse to get Rosehill into the line up against a division rival. Downie had an awful game yesterday...but why does he get scratched when other guys (Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, etc) went through LONG stretches of poor play this year and stayed in the line up?

Hopefully Read is back and healthy soon so they can put that line back together. This Vinny-Coots combo hasnt been working well for anyone involved.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:08 PM
MrMajestyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I feel like this is an excuse to get Rosehill into the line up against a division rival. Downie had an awful game yesterday...but why does he get scratched when other guys (Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, etc) went through LONG stretches of poor play this year and stayed in the line up?

Hopefully Read is back and healthy soon so they can put that line back together. This Vinny-Coots combo hasnt been working well for anyone involved.
Downie has been awful since he came back and deserves this completely. He has led directly to numerous goals with silly turnovers, and most disturbing considering his normal game, getting easily knocked off the puck. Could be injury residue but he is going down with the slightest body contact.

MrMajestyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Esq.

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds
McGinn - Couturier - Lecavalier
Rosehill - Vandevelde - Hall

Is that the expected forward lineup today? I wish we could call up Akeson and give him a shot with Couturier and Vinny.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

It's not just yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMajestyk View Post
Downie has been awful since he came back and deserves this completely. He has led directly to numerous goals with silly turnovers, and most disturbing considering his normal game, getting easily knocked off the puck. Could be injury residue but he is going down with the slightest body contact.
This. I've noticed it since he has come back...he just doesn't look like the same player. I don't know if he was upset that he was on a featured line prior to his absence, and ended up on the fourth line with limited minutes upon his return? Either way...you need to battle and his compete level wasn't even close to his pre-injury days.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds
McGinn - Couturier - Lecavalier
Rosehill - Vandevelde - Hall

Is that the expected forward lineup today? I wish we could call up Akeson and give him a shot with Couturier and Vinny.
Yea with the obvious correction that Hall will C the 4th line.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:09 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Yea with the obvious correction that Hall will C the 4th line.
Nice.

VV has been in the middle on the 4th line.

01-12-2014, 03:21 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
It's not just yesterday...

This. I've noticed it since he has come back...he just doesn't look like the same player. I don't know if he was upset that he was on a featured line prior to his absence, and ended up on the fourth line with limited minutes upon his return? Either way...you need to battle and his compete level wasn't even close to his pre-injury days.
And you know what, he has every right to be pissed. The three were firing on all cylinders and played nearly picture perfect hockey for a shutdown line. Berube ****ed them all over just to get the other boys going. He's extremely lucky it worked out.

BUT as a true professional you have to learn to suck it up and put the team above everything else.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
And you know what, he has every right to be pissed. The three were firing on all cylinders and played nearly picture perfect hockey for a shutdown line. Berube ****ed them all over just to get the other boys going. He's extremely lucky it worked out.

BUT as a true professional you have to learn to suck it up and put the team above everything else.
Well, that's exactly the point. I think CB would have given him plenty of opportunities to get his feet back in the game, including moving him to the line and shifting, say, a different winger up/down so he gets the opportunity. But nothing in this world is guaranteed, and you should put on your hard hat and get to work no matter where you are.

Old
01-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Nice.

VV has been in the middle on the 4th line.
You're right. My mistake.

I assumed with Hall taking the vast majority of the draws (almost all of them), but it seems they don't list it that way. The danger of assumption right here.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

This one was well deserved, he's been garage for weeks now. I think everybody touched base on most of everything he's been doing wrong but I would like to add that how many prime scoring chances he's come away empty handed over the weeks as well.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bummer. Hopefully this lights a fire under his ass because I like Downie.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:48 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp
grossmansmash

finally-he just is not same player at all.maybe roy saw it coming.absolutely deserves it ,has done nothing to contribute.turns pucks over,screws up easy chances and skates around like a zombie.total buzzkill when hes out there.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
finally-he just is not same player at all.maybe roy saw it coming.absolutely deserves it ,has done nothing to contribute.turns pucks over,screws up easy chances and skates around like a zombie.total buzzkill when hes out there.
Were you saying the same thing when he was playing on the best Flyers line earlier in the season?

Old
01-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
Were you saying the same thing when he was playing on the best Flyers line earlier in the season?
Downie has clearly been playing hurt, but is just too tough to take himself out of the lineup, so Berube did it for him.

He missed some games after a headshot, and has taken a few more. I really think he's got concussion symptoms or at least a bad neck.

He will be fine. We need his doggedness on the puck, which is only missing because he's hurt.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

we missed him tonight, though Rosehill and McGinn played well enough given their skillset and TOI.

Who's the odd man out of the top 3 lines when everyone is healthy?

Raffl - G - Voracek still playing well
Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds suddenly has plenty of jump and scoring
Read - Couturier - Downie was really the line that turned this whole thing around.

Does Vinny take Raffl's spot? Downie's? Sit Vinny a couple games to rest his back?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
What are the chances Downie would have done something dumb to Carcillo?

01-13-2014, 02:38 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What are the chances Downie would have done something dumb to Carcillo?
Better than the chances the Flyers would take this game....

Seriosly, he would definitely fight someone - probably Carcillo and Downie would have reinjured himself which would have been just as stupid as a suspension.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I'd rather take Downie at 60% over Rosehill at 150% after last night.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:58 AM
dats81

I still think Downie can be on this team next season if he accepts moderate money and term. When healthy he is a solid bottom-6 role player who can move up in the lineup on occasions but definitely won't get paid like a top-6 scoring forward.

In the worst case we got rid of Talbot's overpaid contract and got another free roster sport for next season...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:35 AM
lancer247

Wasn't Downie supposed to still be out from the initial diagnosis of his injury?

They must not be happy with him or they could have said he was scratched because he is still not 100%.

I think they need to make a decision on where Vinny and Downie go because the 3rd line is a mess. Downie looked like a perfect fit with Coots and Read before her was injured. Dug out pucks and maintained possession. Nice set ups for Coots & Read.

As far as Downie coming back next season, what makes people think he will want to?
He can see he will have problems getting minutes and very little PP time when the team is healthy.

I love Raffl's speed on the top line but he still can't finish. I would like to see Vinny or Schenn get a shot on the top line.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 01:03 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

People were jumping for joy when he came and Talbot was out. I will probably not say something popular - but I kinda preferred Talbot. Downie did some good playing for a little while, but I've never really been that impressed...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote